Author Topic: Pau on trade block  (Read 5435 times)

Pau on trade block
« on: October 15, 2013, 08:24:52 AM »

Offline Texstyles

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Just read that the lakers may be looking to trade Gasol, and it got me to thinking.  BTW... I am not a fan of Pau and I do like how Wallace looks, but would it be beneficial to trade Wallace and either Bass or Humphries for him.  I think both teams would create lineup balance with this move.

Re: Pau on trade block
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 08:35:06 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2424
Lakers want that cap space next summer. A team trading for Pau would have to give up expiring contracts (or a young star) + enough incentives (prospects, picks) to make it worthwhile for LA to give up a player of Pau's ability this season.

I don't see Boston being able to put together a viable trade package.

Maybe if they could trade C.Lee somewhere else first for an expiring. Then couple that expiring + Humphries + maybe Crawford if needed. Then throw in a first round or two. But I don't think it would be worthwhile giving up future firsts at this stage in Boston's reconstruction.

It's hard to see any team having a good enough trade package that they are willing to part with to get Pau Gasol really. I don't think Pau is going to get traded.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 08:39:08 AM »

fitzhickey

don't make the lakers better! I don't think we have the necessary parts for pau

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 08:45:50 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
Lakers want that cap space next summer. A team trading for Pau would have to give up expiring contracts (or a young star) + enough incentives (prospects, picks) to make it worthwhile for LA to give up a player of Pau's ability this season.

Maybe if they could trade C.Lee somewhere else first for an expiring. Then couple that expiring + Humphries + maybe Crawford if needed. Then throw in a first round or two. But I don't think it would be worthwhile giving up future firsts at this stage in Boston's reconstruction.

It's hard to see any team having a good enough trade package that they are willing to part with to get Pau Gasol really. I don't think Pau is going to get traded.
I tend to agree.  I think a couple of teams would be interested that might have the ability to make the trade.

Dallas for example.  Pau for Marion, Carter, Larkin, Crowder, and 1 small filler contract would seemingly make sense for both teams.  Dallas gets a center to pair with Dirk while LA gets only expiring contracts and young players.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 08:48:11 AM »

Offline ozman

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
not saying i'm for it, but if the lakers wanted cap room, then wouldn't they bite at a package made up around kris humprhies, a couple of many draft picks and either Bradley or sully?

i wouldn't do it, but i could see the Lakers taking it

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 08:49:21 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 428
Pass on him..getting up there in age, huge contract, injuries...if we was a contending team, might take a look but we far from that....we in a rebuilding mode and he is not the answer for that
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 08:58:04 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I think Boston could pretty easily have Pau if they really wanted him...just not until Bogans is tradable.  And this team wouldn't trade for a guy like Gasol anyways, until they knew they had a chance to win this season. 

But, if they come out and play better than expected early, and then Rondo comes back, and they are fighting for the playoffs, then I suppose there is a scenario where Danny would trade Humphries, Bogans, and then maybe a pick or two, and/or one of their young guys for Gasol. 

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 09:00:07 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
The Lakers rarely take a step back to take steps forward in the future, so I have a hard time seeing Pau getting traded.  It's probably the right thing to do though, if they can get a decent young piece.  Pau's contract is expiring so the trade wouldn't be for financial reasons.

I really like Pau on a contender or a team like the Bobcats who are ready to aquire a focal point.  I don't want him on the Celtics at this stage though.

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 09:01:07 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 886
I agree that matching up is going to be hard but I would definitely be wiling to trade for Pau.  He is an expiring and plays (or can play) a position of need for us this year (center).  The Lakers need players at several positions to round out their roster.  We have plenty of spare parts to offer.

I don't have time to go to the trade machine but the Lakers may be willing to take Wallace.  He is not that bad and is someone who could pair with Kobe for the next few years without totally killing their salary cap.  Add in maybe Brooks and a few other inexpensive parts like that so that the Lakers can have a team and maybe we have something.

It doesn't really make either team better but just gives better roster balance to both teams.  Probably not likely but I wouldn't mind it.

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 09:03:33 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Trading for Pau at this point would be a fools errand.  If we still had Pierce and KG it would have made sense, but with no players on the roster, other than Rondo, worthy of being a major piece to a title contender, it just doesn't make one bit of sense.

No way adding just Pau would boost this team to title contender status.

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 09:08:06 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Makes no sense to add Gasol right now. We are at a rebuilding stage and trading our assets for a plus 30'd, much slown down big man isnt going to bolt us into contention. If it was a younger borderline all star to build around Rondo, Sully, and Green then maybe. Gasol is only going to push us from under 500 to maybe almost 500.

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 09:13:17 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Gasol is a too good a player and one of the few assets the Lakers have. They're going to want a lot for him.

I don't think they'll find a match unless they take on salary longer term though. Just as the C's had to eat some salary to deal KG/Pierce, its incredibly hard to find a match that doesn't have longer term salary ballast.

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 09:17:56 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I tend to agree.  I think a couple of teams would be interested that might have the ability to make the trade.

Dallas for example.  Pau for Marion, Carter, Larkin, Crowder, and 1 small filler contract would seemingly make sense for both teams.  Dallas gets a center to pair with Dirk while LA gets only expiring contracts and young players.

Dallas seems like a likely partner in a Pau deal - Cuban always is willing to make a splash, and with the guys on your list LA would have a better stopgap while Kobe's out, a talented young PG to groom, and an upgrade from Wes Johnson at SF.  Could happen.

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Gasol is a too good a player and one of the few assets the Lakers have. They're going to want a lot for him.

I don't think they'll find a match unless they take on salary longer term though. Just as the C's had to eat some salary to deal KG/Pierce, its incredibly hard to find a match that doesn't have longer term salary ballast.

It will be interesting.  A lot will depend on where the team stands in February.  If they are clearly a lottery team, then I could see them try to get what they can for Gasol.  Their top priority might be to try to move him along with Nash, to get Nash off the books for the summer. 

What could be really interesting could be if a team like Washington to make a run at the pair.

Something like this for Washington: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lawpw93

The Lakers get rid of Nash, and get a couple young players to add to their even higher lottery pick this season without Nash and Gasol messing things up. 

Washington gets an All-Star big man to put next to Nene, and a great mentor for Wall, who can also slide in at the SG spot, and cover the opposing PG, because Wall is big enough to cover SGs. 

That is the type of move that could make Washington a real team to watch in the playoffs this year.

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 10:59:27 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
That ship has sailed for us.

Coulda used him last year....no thanks, now.