Author Topic: Sully or Klynyk?  (Read 6336 times)

Sully or Klynyk?
« on: October 15, 2013, 01:35:41 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It appears clear to me that our two best assets other than Rondo are these two youngsters.  It just so happens that they both play the same position.  I love both of these guys, but I've been thinking that in looking to improve the team long term, it might make sense to part with one of these players in an attempt to get back some young talent at more of a position of need. 

If it came down to it, I think I would rather see Sully traded away than Klynyk.  There are two reasons for this.  The first one is that I believe Sully will be worth more on the market sooner than Kelly will.  Everybody was excited about him last year, and watching him so far in preseason, he doesn't look like he'll disappoint in his sophomore campaign.  He just looks so composed and mature as a basketball player out there.  He already plays like a savvy vet.  I could see him putting up very solid numbers as soon as this season. 

The other reason is that, as much as I love Sully and his game, I see Klynyk's game as having the potential to translate better long-term alongside Rondo and the new look Celtics.  His range, his versatility, and his ability to run the floor and finish all seem like qualities that will fit in really well next to Rondo as we rebuild for the future. 

If we could get a good, legitimate, defensive-minded center to help out in the middle, it might be worth it to include Sully in a trade. 

Like anything, it would definitely be a gamble, but, possibly one worth considering taking. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Sully or Klynyk?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 01:39:11 AM »

fitzhickey

Sully is probably my favorite player on the celtics behind rondo.
I prefer sully

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 01:42:07 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Until Olynyk develops a Dirk-esque ability to shoot from anywhere on the floor and score, Sully. He's got an underdog approach to the game that's just fun to watch.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 03:23:56 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
They are both marginal assets at this point.  You couldn't get anything significant for either.  For reference, Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter both have more trade value than either of those guys and they both came off the bench last year for Utah.  There is more value to just keep Sully/Oly and wait out the tank.

One is a PF and the other is a SF anyways.  We'll see how they look in 3 years after we're all tanked up.  Long-term they might both be bench players.

Our real assets haven't been drafted yet.  But fwiw, Sully and his chronic back problems are currently edging out Oly.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:45:48 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 04:51:31 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
You got to keep Sully, he's a beast. Any one with eyes can see he's got a bright future if he can remain healthy. I think Sully ends up a Boozer level player, with potentially better defense.

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 07:14:17 AM »

Offline ForexPirate

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 19
i would say convert Olynyk to small forward so he can play more at top of the key.  he's not tough enough on defense and rebounding to play underneath.

That implies we consider moving jeff or move him to 2 because he also is not tough enough to play underneath.

we still need a real big but here's hoping that Fav becomes the guy.  I like the little of what I have seen of him

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 08:07:23 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
They are both marginal assets at this point.  You couldn't get anything significant for either.  For reference, Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter both have more trade value than either of those guys and they both came off the bench last year for Utah.  There is more value to just keep Sully/Oly and wait out the tank.

One is a PF and the other is a SF anyways.  We'll see how they look in 3 years after we're all tanked up.  Long-term they might both be bench players.

Our real assets haven't been drafted yet.  But fwiw, Sully and his chronic back problems are currently edging out Oly.

I agree that Kanter and Favors probably both have more trade value than Sullinger and Olynyk right now.  I think there's a good chance that could change by mid-season.

Olynyk is no small forward.  His role is as a power forward in the league.  You can pretty much bank on that. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 08:09:51 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
You got to keep Sully, he's a beast. Any one with eyes can see he's got a bright future if he can remain healthy. I think Sully ends up a Boozer level player, with potentially better defense.

I think they've both got bright futures.  It seems a little redundant to plan to keep both long term. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 08:18:57 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Teams need at least 3 quality bigs. I don't think we should be in a rush to unload either of them.

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 08:21:24 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Mr. O has more upside, Mr. S more immediate value. They're both good players and it would be too early to trade either at their peak.

Olynyk will fill out and toughen up and its still possible they are very complementary in their mature games.

(And no, KO isn't a 3.)

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Can I vote keep both and play them together?  Jeez, we have our starting roster of the future on the team right now!

Rondo/Bradley/Green/Sully/Klynyk will be a potent lineup in two years.

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 08:38:47 AM »

Offline yoursweatersux

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 45
Can we wait and see what Olynyk does in a real game before getting sweet on him??? At the moment you have to go with Sully, and it's not even close.

Also, no kidding Kanter and Favors have more trade value at the moment, they're both beasts and primed to have breakout years.

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 08:42:08 AM »

fitzhickey

Kelly could still be Adam Morrison 2.0 you never know, even tho I highly doubt it. Sully has at least proven he has serious pro game.

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 08:46:32 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Teams need at least 3 quality bigs. I don't think we should be in a rush to unload either of them.

I'm not in any kind of rush, and I'm not anxious or eager to trade either of them.  I'm just pointing out that I think they are both really good assets with the potential to be good NBA players, and they happen to play the same position. 

And, while I agree that teams need at least 3 quality bigs, I think I would be happier if at least one of them was a center and they weren't all power forwards. 

But, sure, if Danny can find another way to bring in a quality center without having to sacrifice either of Sully or Olynyk to do so, I'm all for it. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 08:53:29 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

One is a PF and the other is a SF anyways. 

Yeah . . . Olynyk is not a SF.

Anyways, there are 96 minutes between the center and power forward positions to fill each game.  I think that between Sully and Klynyk, it will be possible to get them both plenty of playing time.  In my opinion, they're both probably going to be solid role players long term, so it's not like you have to start both of them or trade one of them.

Neither appears to be so talented that the Celtics MUST keep them or anything, though.  Right now I wouldn't worry about how they are likely to be able to play together in the long term just because there's no guarantee they're not both traded over the next few years as Danny continues to shuffle the deck in his long quest to get the next Celtics franchise star.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain