Author Topic: [IDEA] Let`s get out from under Jeff Green`s contract whilst we still can!  (Read 6283 times)

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Its clear from just three preseason games that this guy is an epic bust waiting to happen. Those playoff games were a ruse! However quite a few other franchises do not know this so lets pack him off to some team that thinks he will be an amazing addition to their SF rotation filler and and picks. Maybe we get to fill a need like parhaps we get Gortat and for him as a random suggestion. We have to do it now while we still can! [/sarcfont]
Banner 18 please 😍

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
While Green vindicated his contract a bit with his play in the latter part of last season, I don't think anybody is going to be chomping at the bit to acquire him at this point.  You don't trade for a guy making that much money unless he's a true difference maker.  Green is not that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline alajet

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 54
Its clear from just three preseason games that this guy is an epic bust waiting to happen. Those playoff games were a ruse! However quite a few other franchises do not know this so lets pack him off to some team that thinks he will be an amazing addition to their SF rotation filler and and picks. Maybe we get to fill a need like parhaps we get Gortat and for him as a random suggestion. We have to do it now while we still can! [/sarcfont]

So, you believe basketball franchises cannot see what you can as a mere basketball fan? Also, adding a soon to be in his thirties center to a team which won't be getting out of rebuilding process for some time does not make any sense.

While he might be overpaid, I still think Green is valuable enough not to give trash status and kick out of the door for anything Celtics can get in return.

Oh, just forgot to say that it's preseason, where many players with low ceiling shines in the boxscores, while veterans just play through games

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
 ::)
Loyalty Is Royalty

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I suppose the [/sarcfont] bit of the OP got missed.  :-P
Banner 18 please 😍

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Jeff Green is one player we could depend on when confronted with players like LBJ, PP, Melo, Paul George/Danny Granger, Rudy Gay and Luol Deng.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Jeff Green is one player we could depend on when confronted with players like LBJ, PP, Melo, Paul George/Danny Granger, Rudy Gay and Luol Deng.
I don't think we can depend on Green at all.  He doesn't show up half of the time.

I'd love to move Green to another team.  He is a painful player to watch, in my opinion.  He's definitely not a foundation piece to build around.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If the Celtics trade Green, it has to be at the point where fans can't believe they would move him.  He needs to be playing better and more consistent. 

Don't trade him off a couple of bad games. 

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I like Jeff Green. I don't think he's Carmelo or Lebron but I like him. I also think we can reasonably pay our starting SF $9M/yr if he has good defense (which he does). He's very athletic, he's got a good corner 3 and I honestly believe he hasn't hit his ceiling yet.

I'd trade Green for value but I'm not shipping him off just to bid rid of him. I think his contract isn't that bad and I'm still very excited to see what his season looks like this year. I am curious if he and Rondo can co-exist. I sort of worry they can't because Green didn't come into form until after Rondo's injury.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If the Celtics trade Green, it has to be at the point where fans can't believe they would move him.  He needs to be playing better and more consistent. 

Don't trade him off a couple of bad games.

This is pretty spot on.

As much as I would like to see Green traded, you don't trade players like him at their lowest value.  You end up getting pennies on the dollar, and saddled with other bad contracts.

Re: [IDEA] Let`s get out from under Jeff Green`s contract whilst we still can!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 03:21:27 PM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
I love how Green gets bashed but cheered in game threads for putting someone on a poster or knocking down a 3.

We have a long 82 game season ahead of us and salt is already being dropped on his name in 4 preseason games. Almost everyone here fell in love with Green when he balled out in games against Detroit dropping 34 and against Miami when he dropped 43. He was amazing, he was a star, he was tha future, he was Ironman, tha whole 9. But now that he isn't playing to some's expectations in 4 preseason games he sucks, he's bench material, he'll never be this or that, or never was. Stall me out.

I called it last season that he would get an appreciation thread and I'll call it again this season that he'll get another one or tha one that was created will resurface.   
Loyalty Is Royalty

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 04:16:19 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I do think we're best served if Green plays himself into positive trade value by midseason and gets traded. 

Why?  Because we're likely stuck with Wallace for the next two years (I don't think Ainge is eager to sacrifice a lottery pick to dump him, as he had to do with Raef) and it doesn't make sense to keep them both unless Wallace is completely busted as a player (I don't think he is).

And I'm about as comfortable with Gerald Wallace filling a role on a playoff team in the next 2 years as I am with Jeff Green.  We saw a similar player in Shawn Marion at the ripe young age of 32 playing a huge role on the championship Mavs - defense, rebounding and garbage man scoring at the 3/4 is of proven worth in today's NBA even if it didn't work out for last year's Nets.

As for targets, Detroit looks pretty choice - they've constructed an ill-fitting frontcourt that seems a good bet to struggle.  They could use a guy like Jeff Green in place of either Smith or Monroe to balance their roster.  Of course it would take more than Green, but it's an interesting fit roster wise.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 04:52:44 PM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
so 6 playoff games are less indicative than 4 preseason games?

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 04:57:45 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I love how Green gets bashed but cheered in game threads for putting someone on a poster or knocking down a 3.

We have a long 82 game season ahead of us and salt is already being dropped on his name in 4 preseason games. Almost everyone here fell in love with Green when he balled out in games against Detroit dropping 34 and against Miami when he dropped 43. He was amazing, he was a star, he was tha future, he was Ironman, tha whole 9. But now that he isn't playing to some's expectations in 4 preseason games he sucks, he's bench material, he'll never be this or that, or never was. Stall me out.

I called it last season that he would get an appreciation thread and I'll call it again this season that he'll get another one or tha one that was created will resurface.

+1, Jeff Green was amazing 2nd half of the season. This is preseason, I will not jump to conclusions even if he scores nothing in all of his preseason games

talk to me 10-15 games into the regular season

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 06:15:44 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
I am thinking that many, as I did on my first read, think the OP is serious.  But he is being sarcastic. The OP is correctly suggesting that 3 preseason games is far less an indicator of the quality of play he is capable of than his performance at the end of last year.