Author Topic: Sully or Klynyk?  (Read 6320 times)

Re: Sully or Klynyk?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 09:00:12 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't see either of these guys as franchise players, so what it comes down to is who will other teams give up more for.  I think EVERYONE on the team is available, and the only guys Danny is actively trying to move are guys with big contracts like Wallace, Bass and Lee.  So sit back, and wait to see what offers come in.

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 10:05:54 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I don't see the need to move either. 

I see them as a time share at the PF spot. 

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 10:12:55 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I admit to being an optimist, but I see them both as potential 30+ minute per game starters.  If my dream ever becomes a reality, I don't see how you keep both long term.

I re-iterate, though, I'm certainly in no hurry to trade either of them.  I like them both. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I admit to being an optimist, but I see them both as potential 30+ minute per game starters.
Courtney Lee and Glen Davis have also been 30+ minute starters at different stages of their careers, so this doesn't really mean much in my mind.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 01:03:34 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

Until we get some more help at the 5, I could see them playing together a fair amount this season, too.  KO's bigger, but I'd imagine that Sully would be the de-facto center in that situation.  Pretty complementary skillsets, although still likely to be exposed defensively.

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 01:41:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If Olynyk can show he's a consistent threat from beyond the arc he probably has a place on more teams than Sullinger.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 02:00:52 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
this year i see sully as starting pf and kelly sub at pf and maybe minutes at center high post offense against some teams
to me bass is odd man out, i'd move him before either of these guys, ko is on rookie contract so no reason to move him for a bit
let's see what he can do after 3/4 of this season, we haven't even seen his low post game this preseason only summer league

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 02:02:39 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Until we get some more help at the 5, I could see them playing together a fair amount this season, too.  KO's bigger, but I'd imagine that Sully would be the de-facto center in that situation.  Pretty complementary skillsets, although still likely to be exposed defensively.

I am looking at them as the Celtics move towards the future with the belief they will be adding a true starting C in the future.

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 02:37:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

One is a PF and the other is a SF anyways. 

Yeah . . . Olynyk is not a SF.

I see him as a big SF off the bench... a rich man's Brian Scalabrine.  Or maybe a taller Adam Morrison without the ego and diabetes. 

For a team devoid of talent, Sully and Oly (and possibly Bradley) are the closest this team has to young assets... but they are mediocre assets at best.  Almost every team in this league has better young assets.   

If we're ranking Celtic assets... there's only one single trade asset on this team that is untouchable... and that's our unprotected 2014 1st round pick.  Nothing on this team comes close to the trade value that pick holds.   #2 asset is what's left of Rondo's career.  Then there is a massive dropoff.  I'd guess that teams covet some of our future 1sts more than any of the players on this team.  This is small-change talent.  If they are under 24, you're best off just letting them contribute to the tank-job and hope that one or two of them either becomes mainstays or improves their trade value to relevant levels.

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 02:52:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I see him as a big SF off the bench... a rich man's Brian Scalabrine.  Or maybe a taller Adam Morrison without the ego and diabetes. 

For a team devoid of talent, Sully and Oly (and possibly Bradley) are the closest this team has to young assets... but they are mediocre assets at best.  Almost every team in this league has better young assets.   

If we're ranking Celtic assets... there's only one single trade asset on this team that is untouchable... and that's our unprotected 2014 1st round pick.  Nothing on this team comes close to the trade value that pick holds.   #2 asset is what's left of Rondo's career.  Then there is a massive dropoff.  I'd guess that teams covet some of our future 1sts more than any of the players on this team.  This is small-change talent.  If they are under 24, you're best off just letting them contribute to the tank-job and hope that one or two of them either becomes mainstays or improves their trade value to relevant levels.

I disagree with the SF part.  He is way too slow to cover any SFs, and when you put him on the wing, suddenly his skills become ordinary at best, and possibly even below average for the position.  His value is as a skilled 4/5, who can stretch the defense, and has good finesse for a 7 footer. 

But I agree completely about the rest of the post.  No one on the roster other than Rondo is anything better than about a B prospect.  You are better off holding on to them for now, and hoping some of them can build some value this year. 

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 03:09:20 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by about February of this season.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2013, 03:17:42 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Olynyk is a 4/5. Even Scal was almost exclusively a PF, though I guess I can see why you might be confused as he specialized in guarding quick 4s.   

And other than bad hair and alma mater, what does he have in common with Adam Morrison?  In his final season at Gonzaga, Olynyk played the 5 next to Elias Harris at the 4, with very brief stints as an oversized 4 next to the massive Karnowski kid.  He played in the paint, post-ups representing the bulk of his offense - most of his dribble drives were to drive himself into post-up range.  Most of his J's were of the spot-up variety. He took very few 3s.  Completely different player than Morrison - a perimeter-oriented 3/4 who got most of his shots facing up and creating in isolation, shooting from deep or coming off screens.

If you want to be fashionably pessimistic on Olynyk's outlook, there are plenty of 4/5 stiffs to reference.  How about Nick Fazekas?
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri