Author Topic: Best Possible Starting Lineup  (Read 6978 times)

Best Possible Starting Lineup
« on: October 13, 2013, 03:51:26 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Once RR is back I Like. 

Rondo, Green, Wallace, Sullinger, And Humphries

Of course it's far from perfect. But I make Green play the two cause he doesn't rebound well. But can space the floor and shoot plus he can cut to the hoop. We know Rondo and Wallace don't shoot well, but this team maybe could be a decent rebounding team!

Bass, Olynyk, The back up bigs.  Bradley, Lee, Pressey and Crawford battle it out for the guard spots.

Re: Best Possible Starting Lineup
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 04:05:16 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Somehow I doubt that going ultra-big is going to help this team rebound.

Best possible starting lineup I think would be Rondo, Lee, Green, Wallace, and Humphries.

Which still isn't a great starting lineup, but to my mind it provides the best mix of spacing, transition game, offensive BBIQ, and individual defense (outside the Center position, but that's going to be a problem no matter who you put in there). Operating on the assumption that Rondo is still going to have the ball in his hands for the start of most of our offensive sets.

-Sullinger's our best rebounder but I don't think he's nearly as potent a post presence as he is represented on here, and seems to have a hard time finishing against first string players.

-Olynyk's a defensive liability right now.

-As is Crawford, who's got enough playmaking ability to be the backup point/microwave anyway.

-Pressey's played well, but no way he's starting over a healthy Rondo.

-Bradley has also played well, but IMO he's been exposed defensively by larger SG's, so unless we're playing a team like Miami and he's hounding a Wade, I'll take him coming off the bench. You could talk me in to starting him over Lee relatively easily, though.

-Bass is a known quantity.

Advantages to the bench: Playing Olynyk and Sullinger off the bench against other bench players allows them to take advantage of their superior passing (and, fingers crossed, the ability for a solid inside-out game at the 4/5). There aren't many great big men coming off the bench in the East, so the fact that they're undersized shouldn't be a huge detriment.

Bradley's one elite skill smothering second-string point guards on defense.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 07:06:44 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
my rotation would be:

rondo / crawford/pressey
bradley / lee/brooks
green / wallace
sully / bass/humphries
faverani / olynyk

faverani starting is probably a longshot but he is our only shotblocker right now, I dont believe that any of our PF-pairings will work.

bass, lee, humphries I want gone anyways, even wallace but just because of his contract.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 07:17:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Olynyk's a defensive liability right now.

Really, I see him blow up all kinds of plays in he preseason by cutting in front of a man.  I also saw him block a nice shot last night.

The whole team is a defensive liability right now.  Other teams are killing us in transition.   Yet, you identify in KO, one of the few guys who try to run the floor.

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 07:20:51 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Until Rondo comes back, I'm starting to think that Jordan Crawford might belong in the starting backcourt alongside AB.  Mostly, I'd like AB to be able to play off the ball a little - he's good at slashing to the basket, and we're got a couple of pretty good passing big men (Crash and KO).  Mostly, though, Crawford's been showing up as probably about as good a ballhandler as we currently have, outside of Pressey (who I don't think is quite ready yet).

So, I think I'd go with:

Crawford
AB
Jeff Green
Crash
Sully

Whoever plays the 5 on this team is likely going to be undersized.  Been impressed with Vitor so far but let's give him a little bit to get acclimated to the NBA game, the opportunity is there for him to earn the starting spot but he's got to earn it.  Bass has probably been our best rebounder so far (I just threw up a little writing that), so he's going to be in the mix somehow. 

But Sully, he's been the closest thing we'd got to a real low-post presence, and he's got the bulk at least to bang with some of the big fellas. 

Tough, through - we've got five big men who are all rotation-caliber but none of which would be automatic starters on a playoff team - but only one of them is a legit 5 and they're all flawed in their own way.  Going to be a lot of different rotations - a lot of different lineups - until they get a trade done.

Which, maybe means that Bass earns the starting spot as a (massively) undersized 5, to get an opportunity to earn himself a trade out of town.  He's been relatively impressive from what I've seen - definitely a guy who could help a lot of playoff teams - so maybe we can swap him for some salary relief/late 1st round pick/backup PG.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 09:39:03 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't really care who starts, but how about they start running some actual plays? The players are not good enough for an unstructured offense, and the team is quickly becoming unwatchable.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 10:18:58 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Once RR is back I Like. 

Rondo, Green, Wallace, Sullinger, And Humphries

Of course it's far from perfect. But I make Green play the two cause he doesn't rebound well. But can space the floor and shoot plus he can cut to the hoop. We know Rondo and Wallace don't shoot well, but this team maybe could be a decent rebounding team!

Bass, Olynyk, The back up bigs.  Bradley, Lee, Pressey and Crawford battle it out for the guard spots.

By the time Rondo's back I've got Olynyk starting with Sully. Then the question is whether Green has earned his 3 spot back from Crash. If he hasn't, he's battling with AB for the starting 2 position. Crawford backs up Rondo, and if he and Pressey have played well, that makes Rondo a bit more trade-able.

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 11:45:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Before rr comesback.

Starting
Sully- bass- green-ab-craw

1st one off the best bench
Hump-oly-wallace-lee-pressey

Mixed in throughout the game
Fav-bogans-brooks

So basically i see stevens spreading the min, unlike doc.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 02:35:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Rondo - Bradley - Wallace - Bass - Sullinger

bench:

Pressey - Lee - Green - Olynyk - Humphries / Faverani
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 05:15:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

bench:

no jcraw or Brooks??

Stevens really likes Jcraw. He will play

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 05:57:39 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
the celtics should start and play for 40 minutes a night:

lee
babb
pressey
olynyk
faverani

and then wait for the lottery pick.   ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 06:30:29 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
As of right now from only watching the preseason games, no practices, I'd go with
Crawford
Bradley
Wallace
Humphries
Sully

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 06:37:06 PM »

Kiorrik

As of right now from only watching the preseason games, no practices, I'd go with
Crawford
Bradley
Wallace
Humphries
Sully
I cringed, but I think you're right! :]

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 10:53:47 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

bench:

no jcraw or Brooks??

Stevens really likes Jcraw. He will play

Replace Lee with Crawfish, if you like.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 11:08:02 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Lineup for now:

Avery Crawford Green Bass Sullinger

Crawford really has to start.  He is very important as pretty much our only player who can break down the defense off the dribble and create his own shot.

I'm also giving Bass the benefit of the doubt.  I didn't like the first two games too much but I did like last game from him.  Hoping he keeps stepping up.

Humphries or Olynyk could step into the starting lineup for Bass, I'd prefer Humphries at the moment for rebounding purposes.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:14:57 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford