Author Topic: Deadspin: Magic Left ESPN Because Of Bill Simmons  (Read 17110 times)

Deadspin: Magic Left ESPN Because Of Bill Simmons
« on: October 10, 2013, 04:08:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Quote from: Deadspin
Magic apparently was not at all happy when ESPN told his buddy Michael Wilbon that his role on NBA Countdown would be diminished. He was "booted," according to one source. Another ESPN insider also said that Magic was "privately seething over the Wilbon thing and in general did not like that Simmons held all the power and influence." Magic didn't necessarily need the power, our sources explained; he just didn't feel like kowtowing to Simmons when he's, well, Magic Johnson.

"The bottom line is they turned that show over to Simmons," said our source. "That's why Doug Collins got hired and why Wilbon was out."

And that's a very large part of why Johnson decided to bolt the show at the 11th hour. ESPN announced the news this afternoon and said that Johnson informed the network of his decision today. Johnson said in a statement he was leaving "due to the nature of my schedule and other commitments, I don't feel confident that I can continue to devote the time needed to thrive in my role."

The best part:

Simmons will be able to get a proper host in for the show. He'll be able to shape it however he wants.

Such is his power now at ESPN. "The shadow president," a source called him.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Deadspin: Magic Left ESPN Because Of Bill Simmons
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 04:12:24 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Quote from: Deadspin
Magic apparently was not at all happy when ESPN told his buddy Michael Wilbon that his role on NBA Countdown would be diminished. He was "booted," according to one source. Another ESPN insider also said that Magic was "privately seething over the Wilbon thing and in general did not like that Simmons held all the power and influence." Magic didn't necessarily need the power, our sources explained; he just didn't feel like kowtowing to Simmons when he's, well, Magic Johnson.

"The bottom line is they turned that show over to Simmons," said our source. "That's why Doug Collins got hired and why Wilbon was out."

And that's a very large part of why Johnson decided to bolt the show at the 11th hour. ESPN announced the news this afternoon and said that Johnson informed the network of his decision today. Johnson said in a statement he was leaving "due to the nature of my schedule and other commitments, I don't feel confident that I can continue to devote the time needed to thrive in my role."

The best part:

Simmons will be able to get a proper host in for the show. He'll be able to shape it however he wants.

Such is his power now at ESPN. "The shadow president," a source called him.

I think the most surprising thing is that Magic thinks he "Thrived" in that role before.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 04:13:09 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
No, the best part is in the comments:

Acquired Intense Dislike for Simmons

Insensitive? Sure. Hilarious? Absolutely.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 04:13:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Someone hates Bill Simmons, and I'm not sure its Magic.

I disliked Magic as an analyst anyways, so I'm hopeful I'll enjoy the show more now.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 04:21:32 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Good riddance.

Magic never added anything to a telecast (besides waving Lakers pom-poms).  He was a horrible analyst whether he was with NBC, TNT, or ABC/ESPN.

He kept getting hired based on the cache of his name.  He literally added nothing of value to a studio show.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 04:26:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I disliked Magic as an analyst anyways, so I'm hopeful I'll enjoy the show more now.

I hate to say it out loud, because its not popular among the nerdiest of the nerds (which basically we all are) but Bill Simmons is probably my favorite sports personality, bar none at this point.

He can be annoying, and kind of irrational even, but honestly, there really isn't another guy in ESPN's entire stable who is as sincere as Simmons, well at least nobody who is as sincere and also as compelling.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 04:33:32 PM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
Simmons is an entertainer but he works hard, he watches games, he studies the history, he researches. That's the thing that separates him from superstars like Magic Johnson.

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 04:39:26 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

I hate to say it out loud, because its not popular among the nerdiest of the nerds (which basically we all are) but Bill Simmons is probably my favorite sports personality, bar none at this point.

He can be annoying, and kind of irrational even, but honestly, there really isn't another guy in ESPN's entire stable who is as sincere as Simmons, well at least nobody who is as sincere and also as compelling.

I do agree about the sincerity.  How many other people would have the feud with Doc during the NBA draft and then have it spill over onto twitter.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 04:43:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think Simmons is a thin-skinned tool, but Magic was a poor analyst.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 04:47:11 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Simmons just tweeted this a little while ago.  I have to think this is the article he's talking about. 

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 23m

My first experience today with someone writing a "sources" report about me that's not true. Part amusing, part horrifying.

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 04:48:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I totally agree with you.  I met the guy in New Orleans and he kind of brushed me off, but I'm still a big fan.  I think I frequent Grantland more than I visit ESPN at this point.  If the dude is the "shadow president" at ESPN, it's well-earned.  I have a feeling that if took a look at behind-the-scenes stat breakdowns of how much traffic he personally generates, how many hits his videos get and how much his presence impacts ratings... any power he has is well-earned.   

Magic was horrible when he first started as a TV personality.  He's grown a bit... but I really don't think it's a major loss.  You can fit someone else in there pretty easily.

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 04:57:52 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Like him or not, Simmons is entertaining and opinionated. He's worked for everything he's got so good for him.

Magic has a lot going on so I can't feel bad for him. He was lacking in many respects as an on air personality. He has that big smile and upbeat attitude, but there isn't a lot behind that. Still, I prefer him over Doris Burke 100 times out of 100.

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 04:59:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Bill Simmons is a major, popular product for ESPN.  Magic is a bit of a relic who has never been as entertaining off the court as he was on the court.

Not a major loss for ESPN, and an easy thing for them to move on from.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 05:01:41 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Thats an interesting discussion piece.  As for other basketball personalities, Simmons is up around the top.  I'm also a fan of Hubie, Jalen, and Kenny & Chuck.  Walton might be my favorite of all time.

The FOX football crew might be my favorite across all sports though.

I think people take sports too seriously so I'm a big fan of people who can either break down a specific play or set extremely well or just make me laugh.  I don't care to hear any kind of argument over whether MJ or Lebron will be the greatest of all time no matter how well you can argue it.  I think those kinds of conversations are where Simmons thrives, but luckily he has adds a good sense of humor.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 05:03:33 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
He's good for about 2 solid NBA articles a year, and the basketball book was/is a great take on the sport.

I'm not sure if he's got it in him to write "great sportswriting," but he seems to be enjoying himself with everything else (plus he co-created 30 for 30, which is something I really enjoy), and he's certainly helped the internet become more legitimate for sports, so that's great.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.