Author Topic: Teams that may want Rondo  (Read 30692 times)

Re: Teams that may want Rondo
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2013, 03:16:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The list of teams who would aggressively go after Rondo is shorter than you think.  Rondo is a top 10 PG at this point (if he is 100%) and there are lots of teams out there who would be perfectly happy with the top 20 PG they already have... then there are teams like the Heat who don't really need a PG at all... and tanking teams who have no interest in trading for a veteran post-prime former all-star. 

Of course Rondo is a top 10 point guard in the league when healthy.  It sort of goes without saying that a player who is a top ten player in the league will be among the top ten at his position.

In both 2012 and 2011, Rondo finished in the top ten in MVP voting.  He had a realistic chance of finishing in the top ten again in 2013 if he hadn't gone down with a knee injury before the midpoint of the season.

This claim that you keep repeating that Rondo is past his prime has no basis in reality.  The fact that you keep writing it in every single one of your posts isn't going to make it true.
Rondo is not a top 10 player in this league.  Period.  I don't care how great he was in a handful of playoff games.  I get it... dude had big games.  JEff Green dropped 40+ against the Heat in one game, but I'm not calling him a superstar either.  We have years of evidence to support Rondo as a Top 5-10 PG.  Let's not exaggerate beyond that. 

And yes... Rondo has peaked.  The needle hasn't moved much over the past 4 years.  You can find individual aspects of his game that may have improved slightly (like his mid-range shot) and individual aspects of his game that may have regressed slightly (defense), but statistically he's been about even since 2009-10.  Whether he can return to his prime after major surgery remains to be seen.  I believe his best days are behind him.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:22:52 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2013, 03:27:15 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The list of teams who would aggressively go after Rondo is shorter than you think.  Rondo is a top 10 PG at this point (if he is 100%) and there are lots of teams out there who would be perfectly happy with the top 20 PG they already have... then there are teams like the Heat who don't really need a PG at all... and tanking teams who have no interest in trading for a veteran post-prime former all-star. 

Of course Rondo is a top 10 point guard in the league when healthy.  It sort of goes without saying that a player who is a top ten player in the league will be among the top ten at his position.

In both 2012 and 2011, Rondo finished in the top ten in MVP voting.  He had a realistic chance of finishing in the top ten again in 2013 if he hadn't gone down with a knee injury before the midpoint of the season.

This claim that you keep repeating that Rondo is past his prime has no basis in reality.  The fact that you keep writing it in every single one of your posts isn't going to make it true.
Rondo is not a top 10 player in this league.  Period.  I don't care how great he was in a handful of playoff games.  I get it... dude had big games.  JEff Green dropped 40+ against the Heat in one game, but I'm not calling him a superstar either.  We have years of evidence to support Rondo as a Top 5-10 PG.  Let's not exaggerate beyond that. 

And yes... Rondo has peaked.  The needle hasn't moved much over the past 4 years.  You can find individual aspects of his game that may have improved slightly (like his mid-range shot), but statistically he's been about even since 2009-10.  Whether he can return to his prime after major surgery remains to be seen.  I believe his best days are behind him.

Apparently you didn't read what I wrote.  I didn't even mention his huge playoff performances. 

Again, he was top ten in MVP voting the last two years that he was healthy.  I don't know how you are going to find a more objective criteria to measure top ten status than that.

The bolded statement is in no way an exaggeration.  It's a fact.

I'll accept that it "remains to be seen" whether he can return to his prime after returning from surgery.  I believe that he can. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

And yes... Rondo has peaked.  The needle hasn't moved much over the past 4 years.  You can find individual aspects of his game that may have improved slightly (like his mid-range shot), but statistically he's been about even since 2009-10.  Whether he can return to his prime after major surgery remains to be seen.  I believe his best days are behind him.

Apparently you didn't read what I wrote.  I didn't even mention his huge playoff performances. 

Again, he was top ten in MVP voting the last two years that he was healthy.  I don't know how you are going to find a more objective criteria to measure top ten status than that.

I'll accept that it "remains to be seen" whether he can return to his prime after returning from surgery.  I believe that he can.
Completely irrelevant.

Rondo has made Third-Team NBA once in his career.  Never 2nd-Team NBA and never 1st-Team NBA. 

The fact that Rondo had 12 points in MVP voting (compared to LeBron's 1074 points) doesn't really mean much.  If you're going to keep bringing up that asinine fact, present it correctly.... 8 out of 121 sportswriters ranked Rondo 5th in MVP voting.    The other 113 sportswriters didn't rank Rondo at all in MVP voting.

So in other words... 94% of sportswriters didn't think Rondo was in the discussion.  6% of sportswriters (in 2012) thought Rondo was 5th in MVP voting.  Not a single person was insane enough to say ROndo was more deserving of MVP votes than Bron (1014 points), Durant (889 points) or Chris Paul (385 points).  It's basically a nonsense fact.  They had list 5 guys.  Pretty much everyone listed LeBron as MVP.  A couple sportswriters (probably Boston-based) listed Rondo 5th after LeBron, Durant, Chris Paul and probably Dwight Howard.

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

RE Rondo and MVP voting, its a wholly subjective exercise, that I don't think does much for your argument here. He was 8th in voting in 2012, tallying 2 4th place votes and 6 5th place votes. So basically, 8 people out of a potential 121 voters thought he was a top-5 player. However, they only go 1-5, so while we see the guys who think he's an elite NBA player, the guys who would've voted him 21st, or 50th (cuz there will be 'that guy' as well) aren't counted.

ESPN's top-100 list is more useful. They poll 1000 people, and they rate every NBA player, then organize the list from highest rated to lowest rated. In that setting, he's rated 27th heading into this next season. Previously he was rated 12th, and before that 17th.

EDIT: I'd also like to lodge a formal complaint against LarBrd33 for posting so much faster than I could despite making nearly the same point, but WITHOUT the backup of ESPN's list, which I had to look up, thankyouverymuch.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2013, 03:44:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

RE Rondo and MVP voting, its a wholly subjective exercise, that I don't think does much for your argument here. He was 8th in voting in 2012, tallying 2 4th place votes and 6 5th place votes. So basically, 8 people out of a potential 121 voters thought he was a top-5 player. However, they only go 1-5, so while we see the guys who think he's an elite NBA player, the guys who would've voted him 21st, or 50th (cuz there will be 'that guy' as well) aren't counted.

ESPN's top-100 list is more useful. They poll 1000 people, and they rate every NBA player, then organize the list from highest rated to lowest rated. In that setting, he's rated 27th heading into this next season. Previously he was rated 12th, and before that 17th.

EDIT: I'd also like to lodge a formal complaint against LarBrd33 for posting so much faster than I could despite making nearly the same point, but WITHOUT the backup of ESPN's list, which I had to look up, thankyouverymuch.

Yeah but I had to use hella math skills to figure out that 94% of sportswriters didn't think Rondo was in the MVP discussion at all.  That took at least 10 seconds.  :-P

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2013, 03:47:05 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Completely irrelevant.

Rondo has made Third-Team NBA once in his career.  Never 2nd-Team NBA and never 1st-Team NBA. 

The fact that Rondo had 12 points in MVP voting (compared to LeBron's 1074 points) doesn't really mean much.  If you're going to keep bringing up that asinine fact, present it correctly.... 8 out of 121 sportswriters ranked Rondo 5th in MVP voting.    The other 113 sportswriters didn't rank Rondo at all in MVP voting.

So in other words... 94% of sportswriters didn't think Rondo was in the discussion.  6% of sportswriters (in 2012) thought Rondo was 5th in MVP voting.  Not a single person was insane enough to say ROndo was more deserving of MVP votes than Bron (1014 points), Durant (889 points) or Chris Paul (385 points).  It's basically a nonsense fact.

I wasn't comparing him to Lebron James.  Of course, that would be insane.  We all know that Lebron James stands head and shoulders above everyone else as the best basketball player in the world right now. 

If you don't like using MVP voting as a gauge for determining who the top players are, please share your objective method for ranking the best players in the league. 

I present a fact, while you present your opinion.  Feel free to call that fact asinine.  I don't mind.  I promise to try to show more respect for your opinions, even if I strongly disagree with them. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2013, 03:52:12 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

O.K., so the last time he was healthy, he finished 12th in that ESPN poll.  I don't think it's outside the range of possibility that if he returns to full health and plays the way he did for the '11-'12 season that he could move up two spots in that poll. 

Or, would you guys be happier if I referred to him as a top 12 player instead of a top 10 player?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:53:39 PM by IndeedProceed »
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2013, 03:57:13 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

My crazy out-of-left-field wild guess is that Rondo ends up getting traded to the Indiana Pacers for a pennies-on-the-dollar package that will make you all very depressed, but will technically benefit us by being "addition by subtraction" and helping our big-picture lotto tanking efforts.  I have no basis for this wild guess other than the fact that it always ends up being a team nobody expects... and the fact that Indiana is a team who would probably be willing to take a risk on Rondo... a player who could have a Sheed-to-Pistons scale-tipping impact on their fringe contender.

----------

Wild guess we include some awful contracts.   Either Rondo + Wallace or Rondo + Bass + Lee...   and we take back Granger's expiring contract + maybe George Hill (who we could ship to a 3rd team) and some draft picks. 

It makes zero sense.  It's admittedly nuts.  But since nobody else will do it, I'll guess Rondo-to-the-Pacers.

That actually makes a fair bit of sense. Indiana's the only team that has the potential to make noise in the playoffs that desperately needs an upgrade at the point.

It would certainly make sense for the Pacers.

If we're really in the dregs of a lost season later this year, it'd make sense for us too.

Rondo + Wallace for Granger and Paul George passes the trade machine. That seems the most appealing to me from Indiana's perspective.

I've made posts earlier in the offseason saying I think Rondo and the Pacers would be a great fit.  Though I don't think it works for the Celtics (unless their sole purpose was to cut salary).

The way it works is a 3 way trade.  Granger would fit nicely on a lot of teams, just not the Celtics.  Young teams trying to make the playoffs and appease their current stars/fan base (Minnesota, Portland, Cleveland, Sacramento, Charlotte, Washington, Utah) or even more veteran teams hoping to move from playoff team to contender (Houston, Atlanta, LAL, Dallas).

Now couldn't the 3rd team just trade straight up with the Celtics for Rondo instead of Granger?  They could, but I think in most of those cases the 3rd team already has a strong PG and would be better off upgrading their SF position instead.

Now couldn't the 3rd team wait and sign Granger in the offseason?  Not sure of everybody's cap position, but how many teams would actually have the cap room necessary to offer Granger market value in the offseason?  Trading for him would let the teams get around that, and also offer him more money and years (if they wanted).  I think free agents of Granger's caliber rarely change teams in free agency when being offered more money/years from their current team.  Those small market teams need all the help they can get to sign free agents, acquiring him early and making the playoffs could really help the Minnseota's, Charlotte's, and Sacromento's of the world re-sign him.

Now why would the Celtics do it?  For any possible number of reasons: they want to cut salary, they don't want to build around Rondo, they want to totally rebuild and acquire more prospects, the chance to package other less desirable contracts in the deal, etc.

Pacers get Rondo (and Pacers would also probably need to move George Hill either in this deal, or a separate deal).
Team X gets Granger
Celtics get some combination of prospects/picks/cap room

That's the way I see it going down if the Celtics decided to trade Rondo.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

O.K., so the last time he was healthy, he finished 12th in that ESPN poll.  I don't think it's outside the range of possibility that if he returns to full health and plays the way he did for the '11-'12 season that he could move up two spots in that poll.

Or, would you guys be happier if I referred to him as a top 12 player instead of a top 10 player?

Its not outside the realm of pastability, but its not the most probable outcome.

He's got a bad year (by the standards set my the playoffs he was coming off of and his overall growth the previous seasons) overall against him from last season, on top of that major injury, on top of that major team overhaul with significantly less talent, brand new coach...

Smart money is on him regressing a bit while the team festers their way towards a lottery pick. Just too much going against him.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Its not outside the realm of pastability, but its not the most probable outcome.

He's got a bad year (by the standards set my the playoffs he was coming off of and his overall growth the previous seasons) overall against him from last season, on top of that major injury, on top of that major team overhaul with significantly less talent, brand new coach...

Smart money is on him regressing a bit while the team festers their way towards a lottery pick. Just too much going against him.

It's finally his team, they promise to play an up-tempo brand of ball, which I think will suit him, he seems to be on the same page, basketballectually, as his new coach, and he seems to be carrying himself with more confidence and maturity than I've ever seen from him before.

I'd say he's got some things going for him, as well. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2013, 04:18:50 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Just curious on where you rank Rondo on this list? Obviously I think Rondo is better than many of the names here, but it's always reasonable to think that many of the younger players on the list will take the next step and surpass Rondo this season.

Rondo
Gay
Rose
LeBron
Wade
Bosh
Deron
B Lopez
Irving
Horford
Drummond
Monroe
Wall
George
Hibbert
Melo
A. Davis
Holiday
Durant
Westbrook
Ibaka
Paul
Griffin
Cousins
Howard
Harden
Curry
M. Gasol
P. Gasol
Kobe
Randolph
Love
Rubio
Aldridge
Lillard
Dirk
Duncan
Parker

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

My crazy out-of-left-field wild guess is that Rondo ends up getting traded to the Indiana Pacers for a pennies-on-the-dollar package that will make you all very depressed, but will technically benefit us by being "addition by subtraction" and helping our big-picture lotto tanking efforts.  I have no basis for this wild guess other than the fact that it always ends up being a team nobody expects... and the fact that Indiana is a team who would probably be willing to take a risk on Rondo... a player who could have a Sheed-to-Pistons scale-tipping impact on their fringe contender.

----------

Wild guess we include some awful contracts.   Either Rondo + Wallace or Rondo + Bass + Lee...   and we take back Granger's expiring contract + maybe George Hill (who we could ship to a 3rd team) and some draft picks. 

It makes zero sense.  It's admittedly nuts.  But since nobody else will do it, I'll guess Rondo-to-the-Pacers.

That actually makes a fair bit of sense. Indiana's the only team that has the potential to make noise in the playoffs that desperately needs an upgrade at the point.

It would certainly make sense for the Pacers.

If we're really in the dregs of a lost season later this year, it'd make sense for us too.

Rondo + Wallace for Granger and Paul George passes the trade machine. That seems the most appealing to me from Indiana's perspective.

I've made posts earlier in the offseason saying I think Rondo and the Pacers would be a great fit.  Though I don't think it works for the Celtics (unless their sole purpose was to cut salary).

The way it works is a 3 way trade.  Granger would fit nicely on a lot of teams, just not the Celtics.  Young teams trying to make the playoffs and appease their current stars/fan base (Minnesota, Portland, Cleveland, Sacramento, Charlotte, Washington, Utah) or even more veteran teams hoping to move from playoff team to contender (Houston, Atlanta, LAL, Dallas).

Now couldn't the 3rd team just trade straight up with the Celtics for Rondo instead of Granger?  They could, but I think in most of those cases the 3rd team already has a strong PG and would be better off upgrading their SF position instead.

Now couldn't the 3rd team wait and sign Granger in the offseason?  Not sure of everybody's cap position, but how many teams would actually have the cap room necessary to offer Granger market value in the offseason?  Trading for him would let the teams get around that, and also offer him more money and years (if they wanted).  I think free agents of Granger's caliber rarely change teams in free agency when being offered more money/years from their current team.  Those small market teams need all the help they can get to sign free agents, acquiring him early and making the playoffs could really help the Minnseota's, Charlotte's, and Sacromento's of the world re-sign him.

Now why would the Celtics do it?  For any possible number of reasons: they want to cut salary, they don't want to build around Rondo, they want to totally rebuild and acquire more prospects, the chance to package other less desirable contracts in the deal, etc.

Pacers get Rondo (and Pacers would also probably need to move George Hill either in this deal, or a separate deal).
Team X gets Granger
Celtics get some combination of prospects/picks/cap room

That's the way I see it going down if the Celtics decided to trade Rondo.

That's not bad at all.

Assuming we really want to go nuclear for cap space and lottery balls:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k8dq3dh

Can't add draft picks in the trade machine, but assuming it's very favorable for the Celtics.

(Thomas Robinson is just an example of an asset. I don't think I've ever actually seen him play.)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2013, 04:44:43 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
Here's a shot at it, Eddie:

James
Durant
Paul
Howard
Rose
Griffin
Anthony
Rondo
Westbrook
Bryant
Harden
Parker
Aldridge
Irving
Duncan
George
M. Gasol
D. Williams
Curry
B. Lopez
Love
Wade
Horford
Wall
A.  Davis
Monroe
Ibaka
Hibbert
Cousins
Nowitzki
Bosh
Drummond
Randolph
P. Gasol
Lilard
Gay
Rubio
Holiday

Nice list.  I don't say my ranking is definitive by any stretch of the imagination.  It's a fun exercise, though.  TP.  The only two choices that were very easy to decide were the first two. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2013, 05:02:17 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Rondo can control the pace of a game in deep playoff situations.

He can direct others on offense.

He shines when it's brightest.

He could probably score 15-20 routinely while still dropping 8-12 assists and 8 rebounds.

He is what makes slashers effective...guys like Bradley, Lee, Green, Wallace, and pick/pop guys like Bass, Sully, and KO get easy looks.

I'd say the team that wants Rondo most is us.

We're starting to see some pieces of the roster come together and a few look potent (Wallace, Sully, Crawford) and will look better when there's an Allstar controlling the game and feeding the ball.

He's got the level of talent we're praying for, for Pete's sake.  Let's just be one player closer to contending again by simply keeping our franchise allstar.

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2013, 05:09:42 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Hardly more than 3-4 teams that WOULDN'T WANT Rondo....