Author Topic: Teams that may want Rondo  (Read 30670 times)

Re: Teams that may want Rondo
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 07:59:15 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Who was the primary scorer on the Piston's most recent championship team? Could you say that roster was built around them? If the celtics find one or two players that can put up 20ppg alongside Rondo, who's team is it then?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 08:19:53 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
When you aren't a contender, you make moves to get you there faster.

Not buying it.   DA did not trade PP to get us the title in 08.   He kept him because he was a quality player and built around him.     He traded the pups not the alpha dog.   

I can't think of one team that traded their best team and won a title.   Can you?

Usually, you draft a stud or sign one.   Will people sign here with Rondo gone to play with Pressey?   Heck, no!
Pierce was not only a much better player than Rondo is, he was also a player that you could actually build around as a #1 option.  Boston also had a real young up and comer in Jefferson, something this team lacks.  Don't get me wrong, Rondo is a great player, but he will always be suited as an offensive role player and as such is not the sort of player you build around (he is the sort of player you add to a good team to take to the next level like say Indiana). 

The last time Rondo was in the playoffs he scored or assisted a higher percentage of his team's points than anyone else in the postseason. Calling someone who does that an offensive role player is absurd.

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 08:55:16 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Is it me or are you arguing there is no difference between 'player you can build around' and 'No. 1 option on offense?' I know they overlap in several championship teams, but that does not mean that you cannot build a championship roster around a facilitator like Rondo.

It's difficult finding too many examples of really good teams that were built around guys who aren't likely to average more than 12-14 points per game in a given season.

It's difficult finding too many examples of players who aren't PFs or Cs that can dominate games without scoring in double figures. There isn't a long history of teams led by players like that succeeding, but there isn't a long history of teams led by that failing either.

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »

Offline Mr Green

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Is it me or are you arguing there is no difference between 'player you can build around' and 'No. 1 option on offense?' I know they overlap in several championship teams, but that does not mean that you cannot build a championship roster around a facilitator like Rondo.

It's difficult finding too many examples of really good teams that were built around guys who aren't likely to average more than 12-14 points per game in a given season.

Steve Nash and Jason Kidd come to mind, but both averaged 16-18 points numerous times throughout their careers.  Steve Nash was one of the best shooters ever.

If you can do it, please find that example and show me.

John Stockton and Dennis Rodman had career scoring averages of about 13 and 7 points a game respectively.

Stockton led the Jazz to the finals twice, with Karl Malone as the primary scoring option. I think both of those finals teams can qualify the really good team test.

Rodman was a key part of each championship team he played on. Especially the 1996 Bulls, who were arguably one of the best teams ever [72-10]. Jordan and Pippen were obviously their primary scoring options.

Rodman and Stockton are also hall of famers.

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 10:47:57 AM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
Any team not named...

Cleveland
Brooklyn
Chicago
OKC
Clippers
Portland

Would be interested in him.

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 11:02:58 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I would love a Rondo trade for a package involving Favors. Something like:

Favors
Burke
Biedrins
1st rd pick (this yr)

for

Rondo
Bass

Favors (still only 22), with his length, athleticism, and shot blocking is a good compliment to our young bigs (Sully, Olynyk, Fav). I'm not enamored with Burke. He showed poorly in the summer and is now injured for several weeks. Still, we'd be buying low and he's n the first year of a rookie deal. Biedrins has an expiring contract, which allows us to get out of the Bass deal. The Jazz pick figures to be a top 10 pick.

I think that's a big haul for Rondo and the type of package I would be looking for. Perhaps Utah bites in order to secure a marquee player on a basically faceless roster.

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 11:07:05 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Steve Nash and Jason Kidd come to mind, but both averaged 16-18 points numerous times throughout their careers.  Steve Nash was one of the best shooters ever.

John Stockton and Dennis Rodman had career scoring averages of about 13 and 7 points a game respectively.

Stockton led the Jazz to the finals twice, with Karl Malone as the primary scoring option. I think both of those finals teams can qualify the really good team test.

Rodman was a key part of each championship team he played on. Especially the 1996 Bulls, who were arguably one of the best teams ever [72-10]. Jordan and Pippen were obviously their primary scoring options.

Well, I think you have all the answers you need in your own post here.

Stockton needed to be paired with one of the most prolific scorers ever.  Yes, Stockton made Malone better.  But without Malone, how good would have those teams been?

Same with Rodman.  He was a key part of championship teams.  But he was never the key part.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 01:53:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Well, I think you have all the answers you need in your own post here.

Stockton needed to be paired with one of the most prolific scorers ever.  Yes, Stockton made Malone better.  But without Malone, how good would have those teams been?

Same with Rodman.  He was a key part of championship teams.  But he was never the key part.
exactly when your examples aren't even the best players on the teams you are talking about you know the answer to the question.  You don't build around guys that can't score.  It hasn't been done before and I would contend it hasn't been done before for a reason.  There is also a reason that aside from Magic and Isiah PG led teams don't win championships and rarely even are playing for them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 02:06:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The list of teams who would aggressively go after Rondo is shorter than you think.  Rondo is a top 10 PG at this point (if he is 100%) and there are lots of teams out there who would be perfectly happy with the top 20 PG they already have... then there are teams like the Heat who don't really need a PG at all... and tanking teams who have no interest in trading for a veteran post-prime former all-star. 

My crazy out-of-left-field wild guess is that Rondo ends up getting traded to the Indiana Pacers for a pennies-on-the-dollar package that will make you all very depressed, but will technically benefit us by being "addition by subtraction" and helping our big-picture lotto tanking efforts.  I have no basis for this wild guess other than the fact that it always ends up being a team nobody expects... and the fact that Indiana is a team who would probably be willing to take a risk on Rondo... a player who could have a Sheed-to-Pistons scale-tipping impact on their fringe contender.

----------

Wild guess we include some awful contracts.   Either Rondo + Wallace or Rondo + Bass + Lee...   and we take back Granger's expiring contract + maybe George Hill (who we could ship to a 3rd team) and some draft picks. 

It makes zero sense.  It's admittedly nuts.  But since nobody else will do it, I'll guess Rondo-to-the-Pacers.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:16:46 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 02:14:21 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I would love a Rondo trade for a package involving Favors. Something like:

Favors
Burke
Biedrins
1st rd pick (this yr)

for

Rondo
Bass

Favors (still only 22), with his length, athleticism, and shot blocking is a good compliment to our young bigs (Sully, Olynyk, Fav). I'm not enamored with Burke. He showed poorly in the summer and is now injured for several weeks. Still, we'd be buying low and he's n the first year of a rookie deal. Biedrins has an expiring contract, which allows us to get out of the Bass deal. The Jazz pick figures to be a top 10 pick.

I think that's a big haul for Rondo and the type of package I would be looking for. Perhaps Utah bites in order to secure a marquee player on a basically faceless roster.

that deal makes no sense for the Jazz. They would be getting rid of potentially three major building blocks, all very young and cheap, for an older point guard with attitude problems, coming off acl surgery, who is up for a max deal soon.

They are much better off developing Burke, Favors, Kanter, Hayward, and Burks and going for Wiggins or another top 5 pick in the draft.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:21:36 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The list of teams who would aggressively go after Rondo is shorter than you think.  Rondo is a top 10 PG at this point (if he is 100%) and there are lots of teams out there who would be perfectly happy with the top 20 PG they already have... then there are teams like the Heat who don't really need a PG at all... and tanking teams who have no interest in trading for a veteran post-prime former all-star. 

My crazy out-of-left-field wild guess is that Rondo ends up getting traded to the Indiana Pacers for a pennies-on-the-dollar package that will make you all very depressed, but will technically benefit us by being "addition by subtraction" and helping our big-picture lotto tanking efforts.  I have no basis for this wild guess other than the fact that it always ends up being a team nobody expects... and the fact that Indiana is a team who would probably be willing to take a risk on Rondo... a player who could have a Sheed-to-Pistons scale-tipping impact on their fringe contender.

----------

Wild guess we include some awful contracts.   Either Rondo + Wallace or Rondo + Bass + Lee...   and we take back Granger's expiring contract + maybe George Hill (who we could ship to a 3rd team) and some draft picks. 

It makes zero sense.  It's admittedly nuts.  But since nobody else will do it, I'll guess Rondo-to-the-Pacers.

I'll expand on my nutty idea.

Boston trades:

Rondo - 2 years, 12 mil
Wallace -  3 years, 10 mil
Lee - 3 years, 5 mil

Indiana trades:

Granger - 14 mil expiring
George Hill - 3 years, 8 mil
Lance Stephenson - 1 mil (23 year old prospect)
Solomon Hill - 1 mil (22 year old prospect)
Couple late 1st rounders from the Pacers

Maybe we can flip George Hill to a third team for another late 1st.

Why for Boston:  Tanking and Rebuilding, baby.  Dump some crap contracts in Wallace and Lee.   Pick up some marginal assets to continue to rebuild.  Wiggins/Parker/Smart/Randle or bust!

Why for Pacers:  Maybe Rondo tips the scale.  Lee and Wallace can help off their bench. 

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=jvslxo9

I think that's the kind of depressing deal you can expect to see.

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2013, 02:37:32 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

----------

That actually makes a fair bit of sense. Indiana's the only team that has the potential to make noise in the playoffs that desperately needs an upgrade at the point.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2013, 03:05:03 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Of course Rondo is a top 10 point guard in the league when healthy.  It sort of goes without saying that a player who is a top ten player in the league will be among the top ten at his position.

In both 2012 and 2011, Rondo finished in the top ten in MVP voting.  He had a realistic chance of finishing in the top ten again in 2013 if he hadn't gone down with a knee injury before the midpoint of the season.

This claim that you keep repeating that Rondo is past his prime has no basis in reality.  The fact that you keep writing it in every single one of your posts isn't going to make it true. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2013, 03:06:50 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

----------

That actually makes a fair bit of sense. Indiana's the only team that has the potential to make noise in the playoffs that desperately needs an upgrade at the point.

It would certainly make sense for the Pacers. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 03:13:35 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

----------

It would certainly make sense for the Pacers.

If we're really in the dregs of a lost season later this year, it'd make sense for us too.

Rondo + Wallace for Granger and Paul George passes the trade machine. That seems the most appealing to me from Indiana's perspective.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.