Author Topic: Teams that may want Rondo  (Read 30673 times)

Re: Teams that may want Rondo
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 07:32:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You trade Rondo because he is the only one on the team that has the value to get anything good.

If you have value, a proven player, why would you trade it?  If you have value isn't it already good?   From the games I have watched a PG improves us the most of any position.

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 07:51:37 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I might trade him for a younger allstar, but I don't think I'd trade him in a high risk gamble for an unproven player or draft pick.

Right now the Celtics have one definite building block, and it would be a big setback to go to zero building blocks.

Maybe Sullinger will be a building block; maybe not. 

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 08:52:49 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
To tons of Celtics fans who want Rondo gone as well as those that repeatedly create trade-Rondo threads:

So you guys would rather trade Rondo and in fact, want to trade Rondo instead of anyone else.

I don't think it is a fair conclusion to say that just because someone suggests that Houston may want to trade for Rondo that in fact that means you are down on Rondo or want to trade him just to trade him.

The truth is that we may get to the point where trading Rondo is a way to get better in the long run.  If we do trade Rondo, Houston is a very reasonable team to  explore this with.  As would be Detroit if Drummond is involved.

As with any trade, it still has to be a good trade.  In my opinion, getting a good young big (Drummond or Asik for example) as a part of the overall deal is a good place to start when considering trading Rondo.  I don't think more draft picks is necessarily a good way to go though (we have enough draft picks).

Unless someone blows us away with a trade offer though, I don't think you will see anything on this (if ever) until after Rondo is back on the court and proving that he has no ill effects from the knee.  Then Danny will start taking calls and listening to offers (as he should).  If he gets an offer that is really good, I hope that Danny would pull the trigger.  If the offers aren't that good, I hope he doesn't.

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 10:04:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
You trade Rondo because he is the only one on the team that has the value to get anything good.

If you have value, a proven player, why would you trade it?  If you have value isn't it already good?   From the games I have watched a PG improves us the most of any position.
Because Boston isn't going to be a contender any time soon and by then Rondo will be on the wrong side of 30 and may not even be here.  When you aren't a contender, you make moves to get you there faster.  That means trading Rondo.  It doesn't mean giving Rondo away of course, but it does mean you move him if you get sufficient value back.  What that means obviously varies from person to person, but I would expect to get back a couple of young players and/or draft picks (depending on what the picks were) and preferably some cap relief in the process.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 11:11:29 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Because Boston isn't going to be a contender any time soon and by then Rondo will be on the wrong side of 30 and may not even be here.  When you aren't a contender, you make moves to get you there faster.  That means trading Rondo.  It doesn't mean giving Rondo away of course, but it does mean you move him if you get sufficient value back.  What that means obviously varies from person to person, but I would expect to get back a couple of young players and/or draft picks (depending on what the picks were) and preferably some cap relief in the process.

trading Rondo does not necessarily gets us to be contenders quicker. Holding on to him however, MAY get us there faster. You need leaders, veteran leadership, and good players to be contenders. Rondo is all 3 of those. Rondo is still young with a brilliant new head coach. With role players already in place in Bradley, Sullinger, Green, even KO - we have a solid team in place moving forward. If you DO trade Rondo, it HAS to be another star player. Do you see any stars in the market that will trade us with Rondo? No? So keeping Rondo is the best option available

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 11:56:39 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

trading Rondo does not necessarily gets us to be contenders quicker. Holding on to him however, MAY get us there faster. You need leaders, veteran leadership, and good players to be contenders. Rondo is all 3 of those. Rondo is still young with a brilliant new head coach. With role players already in place in Bradley, Sullinger, Green, even KO - we have a solid team in place moving forward. If you DO trade Rondo, it HAS to be another star player. Do you see any stars in the market that will trade us with Rondo? No? So keeping Rondo is the best option available
I agree that keeping Rondo might be the best option.  I totally disagree that we have a solid team in place moving forward.  We lack talent in a major way.

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 12:08:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
When you aren't a contender, you make moves to get you there faster.

Not buying it.   DA did not trade PP to get us the title in 08.   He kept him because he was a quality player and built around him.     He traded the pups not the alpha dog.   

I can't think of one team that traded their best team and won a title.   Can you?

Usually, you draft a stud or sign one.   Will people sign here with Rondo gone to play with Pressey?   Heck, no!

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 12:55:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Agree with keeping Rondo as a better option, not so much on the solid team though.

Other than Rondo, we only have a bunch of role players (KO and Sully may prove to be more eventually).  what may turn out to be out best option is keeping Rondo, getting a really good player in the next draft (we'll say Parker as an example), trading Green/Lee/Bass to fill another hole(or 2) like SG or C and moving on from there.

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 01:17:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
To tons of Celtics fans who want Rondo gone as well as those that repeatedly create trade-Rondo threads:

So you guys would rather trade Rondo and in fact, want to trade Rondo instead of anyone else.

I am not specifically targeting Jeff Green, but he consistently plays poor and one day decides to show up. You don't know when he will show up and if you try to get some kind of pattern, then you don't know if he will show up.

At least we know when Rondo will show up and we know for a fact that he will deliver. The guy gets a triple double when he feels like it. For some people in the league, 1 triple double is a career highlight for them and a major achievement. This guy gets triple doubles as if they are just another thing.

Forgot those two triple-doubles he had in just one week?

#DatLogic

Good job Celtics fans...

Right.  The question is whether you can get something good enough for him.  That I am not convinced of. 

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 01:39:12 PM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Stall me out with all this Rondo trading. We've seen what this team looks like without him. KG and Pierce kept us somewhat competitive. Green turned it up during tha second half but it wasn't enough. We were without a guy that has proved more than once he can carry this team. Say what you will about his on and off efforts in tha regular season but there's nothing negative to be said about him in tha post season. Rondo has showed up when it counted tha most during in tha playoffs and he gave us tha best chance to win.

Why would Ainge (or you) give him away? Let me guess because Pierce, KG, Perk, and Allen are gone? Because Ainge can probably get tha most back in return for him than anyone else on tha team? Or because Rondo doesn't fit into tha next chapter in C's history? Those reasons may be reasons why Ainge would do it and we've heard all of this before but what could you get in return for him that is of equal or greater value?

I wouldn't trade him. With Pierce and KG gone, it's no question Rondo is our best player on tha team now. I feel he's a piece Danny can and should build around and he plays a position where we need him tha most. Why is Rondo tha guy you would trade before anyone else on tha team anyway? You can't replace a Rondo and you don't just give away your best player to receive a "good" return. OKC would probably never trade Durant. L.A would never trade Kobe. Cleveland would have never traded LeBron. If Dwight wasn't a donkey about it, Orlando would have never traded him. Your best players - guys you can build around who give you tha best chance to win - are guys you don't just trade away for a "good" return. And Rondo is one of those guys.

Random thought: In my preview it doesn't look that long but I feel this is tha longest post I've written here on CB.
Loyalty Is Royalty

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
When you aren't a contender, you make moves to get you there faster.

Not buying it.   DA did not trade PP to get us the title in 08.   He kept him because he was a quality player and built around him.     He traded the pups not the alpha dog.   

I can't think of one team that traded their best team and won a title.   Can you?

Usually, you draft a stud or sign one.   Will people sign here with Rondo gone to play with Pressey?   Heck, no!
Pierce was not only a much better player than Rondo is, he was also a player that you could actually build around as a #1 option.  Boston also had a real young up and comer in Jefferson, something this team lacks.  Don't get me wrong, Rondo is a great player, but he will always be suited as an offensive role player and as such is not the sort of player you build around (he is the sort of player you add to a good team to take to the next level like say Indiana). 

Title teams are generally built with a take it to the hole #1 scoring type option, a solid big man, and great shooters.  You almost always have to have those 3 things to not only win a title but be a real contender.  Rondo isn't any of those things and as such you need to come up with all 3.  It is too hard to find those players without cap room and starting with none.  Trading Rondo is a way to pick some players up that could be those things as well as hopefully creating more cap flexibility (by packing wallace, lee, bass, etc. with him).

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 05:19:04 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Is it me or are you arguing there is no difference between 'player you can build around' and 'No. 1 option on offense?' I know they overlap in several championship teams, but that does not mean that you cannot build a championship roster around a facilitator like Rondo.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 06:20:56 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Any team not named Clippers would love to have Rondo, but nobody is going to overpay for him in order to make it worth for the Celtics.

Rondo is a star, a special player, top 10 in jersey sales, you need that kind of players to stay relevant in spite of your lousy record.

Rondo is the best passer, and more prolific assister in the NBA.

Rondo is still young, not only in age, but in NBA years. Rondo and Green are the same age, 27, and they're still maturing, so you could say that Rondo, entering his 8th season, and Green entering his 6th season can give you a good core for you immediate future.

It would take a big offer, regardless of the #1 #2 options narrative, to separate Rondo and the Cs. This is Rondo's team, and unless you are offering an All Star and a potential franchise player, you're not getting it done, IMO.

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 06:22:03 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Is it me or are you arguing there is no difference between 'player you can build around' and 'No. 1 option on offense?' I know they overlap in several championship teams, but that does not mean that you cannot build a championship roster around a facilitator like Rondo.

It's difficult finding too many examples of really good teams that were built around guys who aren't likely to average more than 12-14 points per game in a given season.

Steve Nash and Jason Kidd come to mind, but both averaged 16-18 points numerous times throughout their careers.  Steve Nash was one of the best shooters ever.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 06:32:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
If you can do it, please find that example and show me.