Author Topic: Raptors (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Preseason Game #1  (Read 54040 times)

Raptors (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Preseason Game #1
« on: October 05, 2013, 07:05:44 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
at

Toronto Raptors (0-0) at Boston Celtics (0-0)
Monday, October 7, 2013
7:30 PM ET
Preseason Game #1
TV: CSNNE
TD Garden

The first preseason game is finally here and the Celtics host their divisional foe, the Toronto Raptors. The Celtics have a mix of veterans and youth and it's hard to tell at this point who will start. My best guess is that the starters will be:

Point Guard: Avery Bradley
Shooting Guard: Courtney Lee
Small Forward:Jeff Green
Power Forward: Jared Sullinger
Center: Kris Humphries

But really I have no idea who coach Stevens is going to put in the starting lineup. He may go with youth, or he may go with veterans, or he may start a mix of youth and veterans.  I don't think even the coach knows for sure who the starting lineups are going to be at this point.  Predicting preseason games is always an inexact science because for the most part, the coach is trying to see different combinations and lineups and the lineups we may see now will probably have no resemblance to the lineups we will see in the regular season. 

Celtics Roster

Chris Babb
Brandon Bass
Damen Bell-Holter
Keith Bogans
Avery Bradley
MarShon Brooks
Jordan Crawford
Vitor Faverani
Jeff Green
Kris Humphries
Courtney Lee
Kelly Olynyk
Phil Pressey
Rajon Rondo
DeShawn Sims
Jared Sullinger
Kammron Taylor
Gerald Wallace

Injuries
Rajon Rondo (ACL)out

Players to Watch

Kelly Olynyk impressed everyone in Summer League. Now it's against the big boys and Celtics' fans will be watching to see if his Summer League performance was for real.

Honorable Mention: Vitor Faverani - L'Hombre Indestructible is a mystery to most Celtics fans and everyone will be watching to see what he will bring to the team.

Raptors Roster

Quincy Acy
DJ Augustin
Dwight Buycks
Austin Daye
DeMar DeRozan
Landry Fields
Rudy Gay
Aaron Gray
Tyler Hansbrough
Amir Johnson
Kyle Lowry
Carlos Morais
Steve Novak
Terrence Ross
Julyan Stone
Jonas Valanciunas
Chris Wright

Injuries
None

Player to Watch

The Raptors didn't have a pick in the first round of the draft and so they will be depending on players who have been here along with free agents to improve this season.Rudy Gay is one of their key acquisitions from last season and his play will be key to the success of the Raptors.

Honorable Mention:Jonas Valanciunas -
The second year center started to come into his own at the end of last season. He will need to continue his improvement this season for the Raptors to be successful.

Keys to the Game:
Develop chemistry
Find the best combination of players to start
Identify the second unit
Look at the camp invites to see if we have a diamond in the rough
No injuries
Have fun

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 07:42:01 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Raptors (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Preseason Game #1
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 07:15:18 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
can't WAIT!!!

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 07:48:06 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
flc...thank you, thank you, thank you! FINALLY we have a game thread. a well deserved tp for you on this.

the long wait is almost over and the celtics are about to take the court once more. and flc is providing us all with his great game threads, as ever.

celtics will play soon and the sox are up 6-3.

life is good.  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 07:55:27 PM »

Offline Eric M VAN

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 61
  • No no no, not THAT "Eric M Van".
I find myself relatively stoked to watch this. Maybe Donnie Marshall will drop by the house with beer.
"Because there are no fours."
-- Antoine Walker when asked why he shoots so many threes

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 08:01:20 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I find myself relatively stoked to watch this. Maybe Donnie Marshall will drop by the house with beer.

"relatively"? ha, ha... em, this is the start of another wonderful celtics season. if we cant be optimistic now then we are lost.

gooooo celtics!!!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 08:22:28 PM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
  • @KevinOConnorNBA
So excited!!
www.twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

I like sports and music.

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 09:36:26 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
This is great. A TP and big thank you for FLCeltsFan, game threads and Celtic basketball are back!

Go Celtics!

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 10:09:12 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
The journey begins...and it's gonna be a long one,  :).  Looking forward to it though.

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 12:42:32 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I think our starters will be:

Bass
Green
Humphries
Bradley
Lee

I don't doubt that Sullinger takes Bass' spot in the lineup eventually, but judging by Stevens' comments about Sullinger looking better than when he first saw him, then I think he has a bit to go before he's truly back and starting over a vet.

Very interested to see how Bradley fares as a PG after his first summer as a pro that he works on his game instead of rehabbing post-surgery.  According to reports, he spent the summer working on his ball-handling and shooting.

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 01:10:45 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
We made it through another off-season and the Celtics are back TPs all around!!!

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 04:40:03 AM »

Kiorrik

We made it through another off-season and the Celtics are back TPs all around!!!
YESSS!!! Yes yes yes!!! WOAH!!!

LET'S GO CELTICS!!!!!!!!!!!11!1!!!

Hurrah! CAN NOT WAIT to see these guys on the court, and coach S do his thing.

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 09:30:39 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Predictions:

Bradley has more turnovers than assists but shoots 50%+ from the field. He doesn't get to the line.

Phil Pressey plays for no more than ten minutes, is a non-entity, except in this thread.

Sullinger takes up most of our minutes at center.

Jeff Green is not compared to James Worthy this year.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 10:10:22 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Wow.  Two scrubby rosters.  Toronto at least has a couple of quality NBA players in Gay and Lowry.  Ross, JV, and Derozan have upside. 

Boston will probably struggle mightily without Rondo. Teams should pressure them like crazy to make the PG work to get the team into their sets.  I'm guessing that Pressey will get a lot of minutes and will prove capable of running an NBA team. 

Lots of subplots.  Can AB actually run a team,and not just dribble the ball to the front court and hand it off to a HOFer, like in previous years?  Can Jeff Green be a main option? Is Sully back from his operation, and can he be a low post scorer who can also step onto the floor?  Is KO ready for the big boys? Can Marshon Brooks play well with others? Will Wallace, Bogans and Kardashian actually contribute some veteran presence? Can Courtney Lee thrive in a bigger role?

I have a feeling that things are going to be ugly, at least until Rondo returns.  If Stevens can get this mis-matched bunch of second bananas and roster fillers to play well together without Rondo, that will say a lot about his coaching ability.   

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 11:01:02 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Wow! Game threads are back?

A true indication for me that the season is about to be underway.  TP FLCeltsFan!

Looking forward to watching this new Celtics team!

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 11:55:05 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
TP FL

C's basketball is back love it
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk