Author Topic: NBA 2k14?  (Read 31256 times)

NBA 2k14?
« on: October 03, 2013, 12:07:31 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Kind of surprised I haven’t heard anything about this from anybody here yet.  What’s the deal, everybody too busy with GTA V?  Waiting for it on the PS4/XBox One?

Anybody get it, anybody played it?  What are the thoughts on it?

I’m not a guy who goes out and buys the yearly entry to the sports series every year, and I buy very few games “brand new” at the starting $60 price.  Was thinking about getting this one though as it’s been a few years since I bought my last basketball game (2K11).  Just wondering people’s thoughts/opinions on it.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Re: NBA 2k14?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 12:38:08 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
It's a weird spot for me.  I like these games on PC, which is a weird set up but I love it.  They release it at half price knowing all the multiplayer stuff is totally broken and doesn't work, but it's cool with me because I only play by myself and you can use some mods that add in different players and teams, which is really cool.

And my PC is past the power of the new consoles coming out, so that's cool.  But instead of giving PC players the next gen version, they instead are just giving them the current one, so I'm probably sitting this one out, until maybe I get a new console later on.

From what I hear, the main addition is more refinement on the dribble controls, which apparently allow for a much more fluid ball handing which sounds a little crazy to me as I already find it pretty great, but that's good.

The snippet they've shown of the next gen has the graphical jump looking really great, so that's the version to hold out for if you can, from what I've seen.

But if you haven't played one since 2K11, you would jump into this one and love it.  I thought last years game was really great.  The control and animation was greatly improved since 2K11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BZzA-Loi_g
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:47:47 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 12:59:20 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I think it has a lot to do with the next gen consoles.

Understandably, it kind of seems like the 2k team was a little divided gearing up to make their game for the ps4/xbox 1 and keeping the franchise running fluidly on the current stuff. Because of it, you're not seeing a huge difference in gameplay: So far the biggest changes seem to be fluidity of animations (especially in passing) and the ability to block a dunk.

To me, I've gotten so much out of the 2k franchise so I certainly plan on getting it, but can't help but be less excited about it than in year's past.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 01:04:41 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
waiting for the ps4 to come out in which 2k14 will be my first game to get. I can't wait cuz all my friends already have it

not to mention, I'll probably be the unlucky one and have to wait for restock  :-\

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
waiting for the ps4 to come out in which 2k14 will be my first game to get. I can't wait cuz all my friends already have it

not to mention, I'll probably be the unlucky one and have to wait for restock  :-\
Yup, same here. I sold my PS3 last month to get whatever I could for it but really missing out on 2k14 and GTA V. There was no way I was going to get these games on PS3 though for what a month and two weeks rental. Ah well PS4 should be worth the wait in the end can't wait.  8)
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
It's pretty cool, they changed the dribbling, but it you'll get used to it quick.
It's much more fluid. Just like with every nba2k games, its only slightly better than the last.

I played a couple of quick games using the Celtics.
Faverani and Pressey are not in the game, yet. Hopefully they put them in the next roster update.
Jeff Green is underrated in the game. His rating is 80 with a couple of signature skills, he should be at least around 84 or 85 in my opinion. He's slow and can't dribble. They need to change that.
Sully grabs every rebound in sight.
Kelly Olynyk has an awkward shot. Lol.
I played Crawford on 1 and Brooks on the 2 spot, and I went on a 11 to nothing scoring run. It was fun. Those guys can score from anywhere.

But yeah over all its a good game, not much improvement from 2k13, but I'm also waiting for the next gen

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 01:55:25 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Yup, same here. I sold my PS3 last month to get whatever I could for it but really missing out on 2k14 and GTA V. There was no way I was going to get these games on PS3 though for what a month and two weeks rental. Ah well PS4 should be worth the wait in the end can't wait.  8)

I'm keeping the PS3 so I can use it as a blu-ray player exclusively and PS4 just for gaming. But yea, I cannot wait for the PS4 to come out but probably won't be able to get it until December.

I hope Darksiders III comes out for the PS4 soon as well. I don't play much games but sports games, a selected amount of action rpgs like God of War/Darksiders/Dante's Inferno

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 01:58:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I downloaded the PC version.

It's pretty good.  Not too much different than 2k13, but there are some small changes, as usual.  I have no interest at all in the LeBron-specific mode.

So far I've played as the Celtics against the Bucks, Sixers, Suns, and Magic.  I had a full, healthy roster (minus Pressey and Faverani, who aren't in the game yet).

My impressions: the Celtics seemed better than the Magic, though not by much.  The Bucks, Sixers, and Suns all seemed better than the Cs, to me.

Without Rondo, it wouldn't even be close.  Celtics would be the worst team in the game.  In real life, I imagine the same will hold true.

On the bright side, I had no trouble scoring with MarShon Brooks or Kelly Olynyk.  I was getting 8-12 points in 10 minutes or so with each of those guys coming off the bench.

Gerald Wallace is pretty useful, too, and Jeff Green had some pretty clutch moments for me down the stretch in my win over the Magic.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 02:02:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Jeff Green is underrated in the game. His rating is 80 with a couple of signature skills, he should be at least around 84 or 85 in my opinion. He's slow and can't dribble. They need to change that.

I have to disagree with you here.  He plays pretty much like Jeff Green when I use him.  You can't try to do anything spectacular, but if you you don't force it with him and find him in advantageous spots, you can score 15-20 points with him.  He's not a go-to guy, but he can take advantage of smaller defenders in the post or slower guys on the perimeter.

Rondo is similar; it's impossible to score much with Rondo if you actually try to find scoring opportunities for him.  If you only try to score with Rondo when the defense breaks down or when transition opportunities are there, though, you can score 10-15 points with Rondo without much trouble.

I don't think they did a very good job replicating Olynyk's shot, but I've found he's a pretty useful scorer from mid-range or finishing open layups inside.  He also has a bit of a post-game.  They gave him a pretty bad 3 point rating, though; he can't space the floor much.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 02:08:05 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
In last years game I improve Jeff and Avery.

Jeff's three point rating is too low, he has basically no handle, and his defense is too low, considering I think he is a pretty strong man defender now and when he heated up last year, he also blocked like a shot a game.  He also has a pretty low dunk rating too.

And Avery's defense was pretty low, which I find to be kind of crazy as he is one of the very best perimeter defenders in the league.  But I love him in the game either way because for some reason I gel with his shot so well I shoot like 90 percent from three point land.

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 02:11:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

That like LaMarcus Aldridge territory. Jeff Green ain't that good.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 02:17:56 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

That like LaMarcus Aldridge territory. Jeff Green ain't that good.

Bigger players are always better around the same rating (obviously).  Marc Gasol is like an 83-4 and I find him rather accurate (though a bit underrated in last years game).

Though I like Jeff around 82-3 and find him very effective still.

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 02:24:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Guys, when you look at the overall rating, the first question to ask is whether or not, when you actually use that player in-game, they play like you'd expect.

In general, I find that players play the way they're supposed to, even if the overall rating seems off.

Jordan Crawford, for example, is a 76, but he's useless.  Just like in real life.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »

Offline Enzzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
I still play 2k13, mainly because I'm going to miss that awkward 3point shot animation of Pierce. And like hell I'm playing as the nets.

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 08:37:41 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

I have to disagree with you here.  He plays pretty much like Jeff Green when I use him.  You can't try to do anything spectacular, but if you you don't force it with him and find him in advantageous spots, you can score 15-20 points with him.  He's not a go-to guy, but he can take advantage of smaller defenders in the post or slower guys on the perimeter.

Rondo is similar; it's impossible to score much with Rondo if you actually try to find scoring opportunities for him.  If you only try to score with Rondo when the defense breaks down or when transition opportunities are there, though, you can score 10-15 points with Rondo without much trouble.

I don't think they did a very good job replicating Olynyk's shot, but I've found he's a pretty useful scorer from mid-range or finishing open layups inside.  He also has a bit of a post-game.  They gave him a pretty bad 3 point rating, though; he can't space the floor much.

Lol, Ya I scored 35 points with Jeff Green on Hall of fame.
I just posted up a lot and hit corner 3's.