Author Topic: LBJ would destroy MJ/Kobe in a 1 on 1..  (Read 18316 times)

Re: LBJ would destroy MJ/Kobe in a 1 on 1..
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2013, 10:29:59 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Dr. j couldn't shoot anywhere nearly as well as Lebron, Jordan, or Kobe.  He wasn't as strong as any of them either.  He was the weakest defender of the bunch too.  He would get crushed.

As for Shaq's chances- I guess it would depend on where they take the ball out too, and how they call charges.  If Shaq gets position he will score at will, but something tells me that if Vlade Divac could beat Shaq to certain spots to draw charges, Jordan and the others could do it easily.   If Shaq were officiated like he was when he was when he was past his prime he would have no chance.  When he was on the Celts every time he drove they called a charge...the same plays he got the benefit of the doubt on for the Laker/Magic portions of his career.

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2013, 12:08:18 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
lebron is way bigger which in turn means he's way slower

how about lebron against julius erving in his PRIME
anyone who saw dr j play in his prime can pretty much let you know how overrated lebron is  ::)

People are always going to aggrandize things from their own early childhood/adolescence/primes. That's how human beings work. I would be way more surprised if someone who had watched Dr. J in the ABA told be LeBron was unequivocally better.
no i was trying to put a 1 on 1 with lebron someone more his size and athletic ability
lebron, kobe and jordan are 3 different players, kobe and jordan being closer in size

Ah gotchya.

Yeah, I think I'd put LeBron and Dr. J closer together than LeBron and Kobe/Jordan.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2013, 05:55:55 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Dr. j couldn't shoot anywhere nearly as well as Lebron, Jordan, or Kobe.  He wasn't as strong as any of them either.  He was the weakest defender of the bunch too.  He would get crushed.

As for Shaq's chances- I guess it would depend on where they take the ball out too, and how they call charges.  If Shaq gets position he will score at will, but something tells me that if Vlade Divac could beat Shaq to certain spots to draw charges, Jordan and the others could do it easily.   If Shaq were officiated like he was when he was when he was past his prime he would have no chance.  When he was on the Celts every time he drove they called a charge...the same plays he got the benefit of the doubt on for the Laker/Magic portions of his career.

Take MJ at the very end of his career and he'd get killed as well. LeBron's advantage over the others is his size, he'd depend on the same no-calls on charges as Shaq. And if we're looking for good officiating, Jordan would lose his go-to move of lowering his shoulder into the chest of the defender when he drove to create the space to get his jumper off.

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2013, 06:59:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'm very confused by the notion in this thread that Jordan was a good shooter.  He was incredibly clutch in his shooting, but he was also a very mediocre shooter his entire career.  Career just 32.7% from three.  Not a great shooter. 

Bryant is much more consistent throughout his career from long range, but even he is only a 33.6% career from long range.

James, who is still improving, is currently at 33.7% from long range and coming off his second straight career best season.

Obviously no one has a real advantage from long range, which I guess is the point that needs to be made.  James is every bit the outside shooter than Bryant and Jordan are.  James also is coming off by far the best overall FG% season of any of the three guys.  Heck both Jordan and James have higher career FG% than Bryant's career high.  The simple truth is Bryant has always been a fairly inefficient volume shooter.  He isn't Iverson, but he is no where near James or Jordan in that department and has a closer career FG% to Iverson than he does to either James or Jordan.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2013, 08:05:44 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'm very confused by the notion in this thread that Jordan was a good shooter.  He was incredibly clutch in his shooting, but he was also a very mediocre shooter his entire career.  Career just 32.7% from three.  Not a great shooter. 

Bryant is much more consistent throughout his career from long range, but even he is only a 33.6% career from long range.

James, who is still improving, is currently at 33.7% from long range and coming off his second straight career best season.

Obviously no one has a real advantage from long range, which I guess is the point that needs to be made.  James is every bit the outside shooter than Bryant and Jordan are.  James also is coming off by far the best overall FG% season of any of the three guys.  Heck both Jordan and James have higher career FG% than Bryant's career high.  The simple truth is Bryant has always been a fairly inefficient volume shooter.  He isn't Iverson, but he is no where near James or Jordan in that department and has a closer career FG% to Iverson than he does to either James or Jordan.
Based on his huge improvement the last couple of years, I would rank James as the best shooter of the bunch.  And he is probably still improving.

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2013, 09:15:36 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Right, but Kobe isn't an inefficient shooter because he can't shoot. Instead he's a chucker who takes a ton of bad shots which lowers his overall average. He's an extremely efficient shooter from most areas of the floor, his problem is the number off of the dribble prayers and step backs he typically takes from mid-range.

He'd be deadly one on one because he doesn't really have many weaknesses when it comes to shooting off either foot no matter what side of the floor.

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2013, 09:17:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Based on his huge improvement the last couple of years, I would rank James as the best shooter of the bunch.  And he is probably still improving.
I think LeBron has gotten very good at shooting 3s when his feet are set and in rhythm. Which is a huge thing when you're a star so used to handling the ball at almost all times. I don't think that'd translate to one on one.

Of course he'd maul people in the post with his finishes closer to the rim which have also improved even as his ability to elevate over everyone has diminished.

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2013, 10:28:50 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Bron has a few inches and maybe 30-50 pounds on MJ. I have beaten bigger players than me before.  I guess you are suggesting that bron would just use his size to back down Jordan on every possession.  If that's the argument, than Shaq probably would have been unstoppable vs any of them.  Who is stopping that beast from backing them under the basket and dunking on them?

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Right, but Kobe isn't an inefficient shooter because he can't shoot. Instead he's a chucker who takes a ton of bad shots which lowers his overall average. He's an extremely efficient shooter from most areas of the floor, his problem is the number off of the dribble prayers and step backs he typically takes from mid-range.

He'd be deadly one on one because he doesn't really have many weaknesses when it comes to shooting off either foot no matter what side of the floor.
but a game of 1 on 1 is more a street ball style of game.  Bryant would be taking all these shots off the dribble and with an all time defender guarding him.  In other words, a ton of shots that he doesn't hit very well.  I'd favor both James and Jordan a great deal in a game of 1 on 1 against Bryant.  I think Jordan and James would be a lot closer, but would give the edge to James given his superior height, reach, strength, and athleticism.  It would have been one heck of a game though.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2013, 10:38:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

but a game of 1 on 1 is more a street ball style of game.  Bryant would be taking all these shots off the dribble and with an all time defender guarding him.  In other words, a ton of shots that he doesn't hit very well.  I'd favor both James and Jordan a great deal in a game of 1 on 1 against Bryant.  I think Jordan and James would be a lot closer, but would give the edge to James given his superior height, reach, strength, and athleticism.  It would have been one heck of a game though.
But Bryant isn't bad at those sort of streetball shots, he's the best at the league at them. But the best at the league is still 40% and lower. Jordan/LBJ will be taking similar shots too.

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2013, 10:44:08 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Bron has a few inches and maybe 30-50 pounds on MJ. I have beaten bigger players than me before.  I guess you are suggesting that bron would just use his size to back down Jordan on every possession.  If that's the argument, than Shaq probably would have been unstoppable vs any of them.  Who is stopping that beast from backing them under the basket and dunking on them?

That's exactly my point...

For those who said LBJ has overrated defense... Yeah okay... He may be flashy in blocks, but defensively he's very solid, and really clamped down on TP when he was guarding him.

LBJ is a powerhouse 1 on 1 defender, and can even defend Centers and PF at times...

Legacy wise LBJ still needs to win at least 2 more MVP's, 5 or 6 more Allstars, and win at least 4-5 championships which I think he can... Especially if he decided to join the Cavaliers with a superstar in the making Kyrie, and a strong suited SG in Dion Waiters.

--
I think people really underestimate how fast LBJ is... He's super quick for his size, and is probably the best athlete. He may not have the same genetic make up of strong killer instinct to win.. But guaranteed Jordan vs LBJ in my mind would be 11-5 in LBJ's favor..

Jordan has the best clutchest mid range fade away, but people forget how suffocating LBJ's defense is....

I would've said Jordan would've demolished LBJ 2-3 years ago, but now? Not too sure, and would favor LBJ...

LBJ has improved on everything haters have said about him.. Improved his post offense/defense, his hook shot is pretty efficient even though he rarely uses it. His overall defense has been more and more rounded, and he improved his perimeter shooting which was a big part of criticism on him. If he improves his FT, and knowing LBJ, then he'll be top 3-5 in FTA per game.

LBJ is already close to surpassing Jordan on almost every statistical category. Jordan did go to college for 3 years, whereas LBJ went straight to HS. But I think that speaks volumes to how well LBJ has progressed.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:50:34 AM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2013, 10:56:41 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
In a one-on-one game, I would take in order:

Lebron
Jordon
Kobe.

I have Lebron number 1 because he has such a size advantage on the other two while being able to match up with them in terms of speed and athleticism. 

If it was a team game (5 on 5) with equal teamates, I would then go
Jordon
Lebron
Kobe.

There will be no blow outs.

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2013, 10:59:59 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
In a one-on-one game, I would take in order:

Lebron
Jordon
Kobe.

I have Lebron number 1 because he has such a size advantage on the other two while being able to match up with them in terms of speed and athleticism. 

If it was a team game (5 on 5) with equal teamates, I would then go
Jordon
Lebron
Kobe.

There will be no blow outs.

Agreed in a 1 on 1... Lebron just has too much height, and reach/size advantage... LBJ is slightly slower than Jordan, but still able to keep up with him.

I don't know why people are bringing up about who cares about 1 on 1... My original post was that LBJ now can edge out Jordan in a 1 on 1..

Lebron has progressed and evolved so much in time...

People can say he went to join superstars, and etc. But the truth of the matter is in the past 2 years, only Lebron has been the one who's led the team to actually winning it all. Bosh/Wade showed up for a few games, but they all fizzled out in the important ones. I do agree that LBJ got his butt saved by Ray Allen. But regardless he was the X and dominant factor throughout all the games.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2013, 11:48:35 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
More importantly, I think they really need to add a 1 on 1 tournament to All-Star Weekend so we can stop speculating.

Related:
http://deadspin.com/heres-michael-jordan-schooling-o-j-mayo-better-scre-1440607515
(mild language)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:00:34 PM by D.o.s. »
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2013, 08:52:44 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'd take Jordan in this one. And because I can take down MJ with Bird on my Sega Genesis copy of Jordan vs Bird then Bird wins it all.
Peace through Tyranny