Author Topic: LBJ would destroy MJ/Kobe in a 1 on 1..  (Read 18287 times)

Re: LBJ would destroy MJ/Kobe in a 1 on 1..
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 05:46:55 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
First of all, the comment about LeBron being as quick as Jordan / Kobe (in their prime) is garbage.  His quickness is way overrated.  He's fast end to end and quick by forward sta cards, but he's still more of a power player.  He doesn't have the "dance" like agility if a Jordan or Kobe in their prime - he's too clunky and doesn't have that type of finesse.

Also I don't care what percentage he shot from the last session - Avery Bradley shot 40ffuton three two seasons ago.  Historically, for his career, LeBron has been a pretty mediocre shooter.  Again he doesn't have the shooting finesse t hat Jordan and Kobe had - the ability to contour their bodies in the most awkward positions to get off the most impossible challenged shots. 

Defensively LeBron IMHO is overrated and is a "show defender".  He gets the fancy b licks and steals that look good on the box score and highlight film, but I rarely see him play the type of gritty, in your face, man on defense that I saw Kobe and MJ play throughout their careers.  Defensively he relays purely on his physical gifts to get things like chase down blocks.  Imho he doesn't cone close to MJ, Kobe (in his prime) or even today's Iggy or AB in terms of defensive grit and toughness. 

Offensively LeBron is very good, but he's not Kobe or MJ good.  Those guys would score 30 seemingly every night, if they didn't you would walk away surprised.  LeBron is often closer to the 25-27 range and IMO just can't score at will against elite defenders the way Kobe andJordan used to.  One game we played against Miami Jeff Green absolutely shut LeBron down any time he was defending him.  I still remember when we played the Lakers in 08 and subsequent years -there is no chance that any one player on our team could have shut him down for an entire game.  We had to throw everything at him.

People immortalised LeBron because he's in front of them right now, but as good as he is he's put on a massive pedestal that makes him look far more god-like than he is.  He is tgreatest player in the game right now, but  imo the only active player who ceven argue about being able to challenge jordan for the GOAT title is Kobe. 

MJ only ever had one superstar by his side, the next best player borderline All Star at best.  same with Kobe, he had Shaq and he had Gasol.  Lebron has had two superstars by his sidefor every title hes won.  Before that he consistently fell short.

1-on-1 you could never say who'd win, but I call bs o n t his LeBron dominance talk.

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 05:54:07 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

MJ only ever had one superstar by his side, the next best player borderline All Star at best.  same with Kobe, he had Shaq and he had Gasol.  Lebron has had two superstars by his sidefor every title hes won.  Before that he consistently fell short.

1-on-1 you could never say who'd win, but I call bs o n t his LeBron dominance talk.

Those Shaqobe Lakers teams were definitely Shaq's teams. So if you want to put Kobe in the Jordan-level conversation, you have to say that for 3 of his 5 titles he wasn't even the best player on his own team.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 06:27:24 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

MJ only ever had one superstar by his side, the next best player borderline All Star at best.  same with Kobe, he had Shaq and he had Gasol.  Lebron has had two superstars by his sidefor every title hes won.  Before that he consistently fell short.

Those Shaqobe Lakers teams were definitely Shaq's teams. So if you want to put Kobe in the Jordan-level conversation, you have to say that for 3 of his 5 titles he wasn't even the best player on his own team.

good point but I would say Scottie was a superstar as well and maybe had one all star or border all star. Kobe was not the best player during his first threepeat with the Lakers. Shaq was. I think Lebron's scenario is closer with Jordan

Lebron -> Jordan
Wade -> Wade
Dennis Rodman -> ??? (tempted to say Bosh but I am refraining from this :))

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 06:39:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Jordan would destroy LeBron.  He would eat him alive.  He has more will to win in his little finger than LBJ has in his whole body.   He is a better shot, quicker and more athletic.   I've seen LBJ quit in games, I have never seen Jordan.   I think Larry could beat him too.  Especially if they play make it take it with Bird's shot.   Magic was a more of a passer than a one on one guy.

LBJ won't have his best asset in this game, the refs.

The NBA always markets the latest as the greatest.   Once you been around watching for 40 years you know what bunk they are putting out.  I think Kevin could beat LeBron with his post moves too.

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 06:44:23 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
lebron is way bigger which in turn means he's way slower

how about lebron against julius erving in his PRIME
anyone who saw dr j play in his prime can pretty much let you know how overrated lebron is  ::)

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 06:52:40 PM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Who cares about 1 on 1???

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 06:54:41 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

anyone who saw dr j play in his prime can pretty much let you know how overrated lebron is  ::)

People are always going to aggrandize things from their own early childhood/adolescence/primes. That's how human beings work. I would be way more surprised if someone who had watched Dr. J in the ABA told be LeBron was unequivocally better.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 07:31:57 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
jordan!

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 07:45:26 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

People are always going to aggrandize things from their own early childhood/adolescence/primes. That's how human beings work. I would be way more surprised if someone who had watched Dr. J in the ABA told be LeBron was unequivocally better.
no i was trying to put a 1 on 1 with lebron someone more his size and athletic ability
lebron, kobe and jordan are 3 different players, kobe and jordan being closer in size

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2013, 08:02:50 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

3 pages' worth of people and counting.  Do you mean "I don't think we should care about 1 on 1"?

For the record I think Jordan's skill set and killer instinct is better suited to one on one, but if LeBron could push him around, it'd be very tough.  On the other hand I think it'd be hard for LeBron to actually finish off a W without Jordan trying to fight him.  :)

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2013, 08:17:26 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I know. Someone like Kareem or Shaq would destroy MK or LeBron 1v1. Let either of them try to stop a sky hook or keep Shaq off of the rim.

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2013, 08:25:02 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
A slight off-topic comment here that I'll make because I have no opinion on who would win 1 on 1 between LBJ and MJ, but it got me thinking about the old NBA 1 on 1 competition.
For those that don't recall, the NBA used have a tournament that was run like a tennis tournament with the best players in the game (I can't recall whether it was 20 players, 30, 50???) squaring off 1 on 1 with the winner taking on the next player in his bracket until 2 battled for the championship.  It seemed that it lasted throughout the year and 1on1 games were shown at half-time of national telecasts and the up to date brackets were shown.  The tournament must have been played in the summer, but I was oblivious to the logistics at the time and you never knew the winner in advance.   I remember rooting for my favorite, JoJo White, who always fared pretty well. I think they did this for a few years.   Anyone have a better recollection of this?   

They'd never do it nowadays, but it was fun -- and answered questions about who would win if...

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2013, 08:56:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Doctor J.  In his  prime would be tuff one on one foes for MJ or James.

Matter fact ...I'd put my money on a young Doc J.

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2013, 09:11:02 PM »

fitzhickey

this is simply not true
small doesn't equal fast

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2013, 09:22:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Matter fact ...I'd put my money on a young Doc J.

Stay in front and Dr. J and I think you'd be OK.   Great driver but suspect jumper  hmmm does sound like LBJ at the start of his career.