Author Topic: LBJ would destroy MJ/Kobe in a 1 on 1..  (Read 18313 times)

Re: LBJ would destroy MJ/Kobe in a 1 on 1..
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 01:20:54 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
LeBron has not yet touched, and may never touch Jordan's greatness.

But I agree, in a game of one on one, as good awesome as MJ is, James is one very tough match up. LeBron is not just some guy he can bully down low. They are both ultra skilled bit LeBron has the size advantage.

You can't deny the fact Lebron is a freak of nature. He hasn't been injured to a point where he has missed a full season or half a season...

He can play up to 7-10 years and he's already close to Jordan... I don't see why everyone acts as if Lebron will never touch his legacy, cause he can, and he will.

Becaus MJ never lost in the Finals. That alone cements him over LeBron and pretty much everybody else. For all MJ accomplished, that 6 for 6 would be tough to beat. LeBron may need to win more than 6 to be atleast in the conversation.

Until he does that, and maybe win a DPOY, he's nowhere close to MJ's greatness. But in a game one on one, LeBron will beat MJ.

But I do agree that Jordan seems to be worried about his legacy that James may one day overtake him as the best ever. But he shouldnt.

Theres no other response tha this. Jordan never lost in the Finals. Lebron has done so plus has given up on his team in previous playoff rounds. Jordans legacy will never be touched no matter how much better James becomes.

Ah yes, the caveman-simplistic finals argument. So, it's better to lose before the finals than lose in the finals? Interesting.

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 01:29:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think its nuts to think either one (MJ or LBJ) would destroy the other.  Lebron has size & could try and muscle MJ down low.  Jordan on the other hand, could strike with that untouchable fadeaway not to mention use his quickness to get to the rim.  Lebron isn't exactly slow, though.

Playoff performance has absolutely nothing to do with a one on one matchup.  Its just gonna come down to their basketball skills and each has a unique repetoire that would be interesting to see the other would go against. 

I think, ultimately, Lebron might be able to wear down Jordan with his size but that might be rendered moot if Jordan is killing it from the outside. Playing to 7, I'm leaning Jordan. Longer the game, I think the advantage shifts to Lebron.

Personally, I think Jordan is a little overrated as a shooter.  I wouldn't say he's a better shooter than LeBron.

In 13 full seasons from 3:
He shot over 40% 1x - good.
He shot 35-40% 3x's - respectable
He shot 30-35% 1x - acceptable in small doses
He shot 20-30% 4x -  please only shoot if the clock is winding down
He shot 10-20% 4x - just don't shoot from here

His strengths were in his relentless, driving, and the mid range pull ups and fade aways.  In a half court one-on-one game, I think LeBron's defense and strength would limit Jordan's effectiveness in driving and also be able to challenge the midrange jumpers and fadeaways.

Also LeBron's extra 2-3 inches would help him shoot over Jordan, while also helping him challenge Jordan's shot.

Both of these guys would be best by taking it to the rim, and here I think LeBron's size and strength would help him out greatly here.

I'm not sure how many 3s these guys are going to be chucking up in a one on one matchup.

I think you'd see a lot of driving,dunks,  midrange jumpers, and fadeaways.   Don't think you'd see a lot beyond the arc.  You just don't see many one on one matchups contested that way.
I actually think you would see a lot of outside shooting because those are the easiest shots to get off in that type of game.  I also don't see either guy is going around the other all that much.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2013, 01:34:04 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

But I agree, in a game of one on one, as good awesome as MJ is, James is one very tough match up. LeBron is not just some guy he can bully down low. They are both ultra skilled bit LeBron has the size advantage.

You can't deny the fact Lebron is a freak of nature. He hasn't been injured to a point where he has missed a full season or half a season...

He can play up to 7-10 years and he's already close to Jordan... I don't see why everyone acts as if Lebron will never touch his legacy, cause he can, and he will.

Becaus MJ never lost in the Finals. That alone cements him over LeBron and pretty much everybody else. For all MJ accomplished, that 6 for 6 would be tough to beat. LeBron may need to win more than 6 to be atleast in the conversation.

Until he does that, and maybe win a DPOY, he's nowhere close to MJ's greatness. But in a game one on one, LeBron will beat MJ.

But I do agree that Jordan seems to be worried about his legacy that James may one day overtake him as the best ever. But he shouldnt.

Theres no other response tha this. Jordan never lost in the Finals. Lebron has done so plus has given up on his team in previous playoff rounds. Jordans legacy will never be touched no matter how much better James becomes.

Ah yes, the caveman-simplistic finals argument. So, it's better to lose before the finals than lose in the finals? Interesting.

I think percentage is very important to a lot of people, the fact that Jordan is 100% in the finals is pretty impressive, and that 3/3 in first dynasty, then 3/3 for his 2nd dynasty...

Another thing is, Jordan was always fighting and fighting...

Lebron had a history of giving up on his team, 2010 semi finals anyone? Remember Lebron disappeared after game 5, then in game 6, he had a near quadruple double (9 turn overs I believe), then in 2011 he totally played passive against Dallas. You cannot accept that for your best player. I rather have my best player be aggressive and make mistakes then not trying at all.

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2013, 01:41:52 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think its nuts to think either one (MJ or LBJ) would destroy the other.  Lebron has size & could try and muscle MJ down low.  Jordan on the other hand, could strike with that untouchable fadeaway not to mention use his quickness to get to the rim.  Lebron isn't exactly slow, though.

Playoff performance has absolutely nothing to do with a one on one matchup.  Its just gonna come down to their basketball skills and each has a unique repetoire that would be interesting to see the other would go against. 

I think, ultimately, Lebron might be able to wear down Jordan with his size but that might be rendered moot if Jordan is killing it from the outside. Playing to 7, I'm leaning Jordan. Longer the game, I think the advantage shifts to Lebron.

Personally, I think Jordan is a little overrated as a shooter.  I wouldn't say he's a better shooter than LeBron.

In 13 full seasons from 3:
He shot over 40% 1x - good.
He shot 35-40% 3x's - respectable
He shot 30-35% 1x - acceptable in small doses
He shot 20-30% 4x -  please only shoot if the clock is winding down
He shot 10-20% 4x - just don't shoot from here

His strengths were in his relentless, driving, and the mid range pull ups and fade aways.  In a half court one-on-one game, I think LeBron's defense and strength would limit Jordan's effectiveness in driving and also be able to challenge the midrange jumpers and fadeaways.

Also LeBron's extra 2-3 inches would help him shoot over Jordan, while also helping him challenge Jordan's shot.

Both of these guys would be best by taking it to the rim, and here I think LeBron's size and strength would help him out greatly here.

I'm not sure how many 3s these guys are going to be chucking up in a one on one matchup.

I think you'd see a lot of driving,dunks,  midrange jumpers, and fadeaways.   Don't think you'd see a lot beyond the arc.  You just don't see many one on one matchups contested that way.
I actually think you would see a lot of outside shooting because those are the easiest shots to get off in that type of game.  I also don't see either guy is going around the other all that much.

See I think with the egos involved here, these two would try to work each other hard.  Lots of backing the other guy down and working off of that with either trying to blow by the other guy, working the fadeaway, or working the quick stop & pop jumper.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2013, 01:56:07 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm thinking of when Kobe/LeBron matched up in 2008-2009 during the regular season. Kobe wasn't in his absolute prime but he wasn't far from it. Kobe couldn't handle LeBron, struggled to get a shot off. Just too athletic, long, and aggressive defensively.

No such comparison exists for a younger Kobe guarded LeBron now that he has a much more versatile offensive game sadly.

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 02:04:38 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

In a real game of one on one between two skilled players, the big guy is going to win. Lebron would beat Jordan. Shaq or Wilt would probably beat anyone in the history of basketball.

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2013, 02:08:43 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
LBJ lacks the improvisational ability of the other two.  When he finds himself in awkward positions, he usually passes to an open man.  MJ could create a good shot attempt even if he was going a hundred miles per hour with his back to the rim.  He was so quick and explosive in the 80's.

Lebron is obviously in his prime right now.  I wonder what year Jordan would be his prime in 1 on 1.  He had the supernatural explosiveness, hang time, and creativity early in his career, but he added strength and a post up game later in his career...maybe the post up game wouldn't be very effective against Lebron though.

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
In a real game of one on one between two skilled players, the big guy is going to win. Lebron would beat Jordan. Shaq or Wilt would probably beat anyone in the history of basketball.

Depends on the game.  I'd have a hard time seeing Shaq do too well if he had to start with the ball at the top of the key.  It's tough to overpower a guy down low if you get your pocket picked before you get there. 

Wilt on the other hand...yeah he'd be very tough.

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2013, 02:57:05 PM »

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Man, people are really slaves to the moment. Lebron is the best player right now. Saying he would beat the best basketball player of all time is nuts. Jordan was a better at just about everything. Loot at his stats and his rings (without having to team up with Isiah and Clyde to finally get a ring). He never lost in the Finals because he was probably one the most competitive basketball players of all time. Lebron has faded frequently in big games. Lebron would get strapped up by Jordan in his prime because Lebron's handle is really not that good. Jordan is a smarter player, better defender and better scorer. The fact that it's an argument reminds me how many people can forget (or not understand if they're younger) how good MJ really was.

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2013, 03:26:35 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Man, people are really slaves to the moment. Lebron is the best player right now. Saying he would beat the best basketball player of all time is nuts. Jordan was a better at just about everything. Loot at his stats and his rings (without having to team up with Isiah and Clyde to finally get a ring). He never lost in the Finals because he was probably one the most competitive basketball players of all time. Lebron has faded frequently in big games. Lebron would get strapped up by Jordan in his prime because Lebron's handle is really not that good. Jordan is a smarter player, better defender and better scorer. The fact that it's an argument reminds me how many people can forget (or not understand if they're younger) how good MJ really was.

So Jordan's early teams weren't good enough to even make it to the finals...but if he had done BETTER, and made, say, 2 finals appearances before he teamed up with Pippen (top 50 all time) and Phil Jackson (GOAT coach), but lost those, his legacy would be, what, WORSE because he was 6/8 on finals despite having MORE success? And that is somehow logical?

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 03:59:02 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
LBJ's strength is in his team play, whereas MJ and Kobe are guys who thrive off isolation. I actually agree with MJ on this simply because 1-on-1 is more tailored to his play style and mentality.

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I think their is a difference between matching his greatness (which you don't believe will happen, you somehow know it will) and matching Jordan's legacy.

I can't envision Lebron doing anything going forward that can put him in the rarified air of Russell, Bird, Magic, and Jordan as far as their impact on the game.

He's played what, 10 seasons now and won 2 titles while also getting embarrassed in his first Finals and choking away his second.

Everyone wins with great teammates, but he's the only one amongst the ATG's who ran off via free agency to collect his jewelry. He simply could not beat us while in Cleveland. He didn't in 2008 or 2010, and had he met us in 2011 or 2012 it would have been the same story.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
Oh c´mon, MJ is too crafty for LBJ. He could end it 11-0 with just that fadeaway jumper.

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 05:17:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'm thinking about a typical one on one game--check it at the top of the key, outside the arc is two points, inside is one, play 'til 16, make it take it. You'd have to have a ref though--I don't trust Jordan with the honor system when it comes to fouls.

Jordan's got the edge on the pull up jumper, but LeBron's athletic enough and big enough to contest it. Jordan's going to have his hands full driving to the hoop with LeBron, who is going to have an easier time against Jordan in the same situation simply because of his physical advantages.

But, you know, Jordan's insane lust for competition and victory makes me lean his way. Nothing against LeBron as a player, but if he can get psyched out by Pierce, KG and Kobe talking smack, I don't think he'd have a very fun time against Jordan. And when LeBron's not having fun, he doesn't seem to play as well as he could.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 05:20:46 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
For a moment, I thought this was RealGM General Board instead of CelticsBlog. MJ, Kobe for their style of play and LBJ for his diva personality are the anti-Celtics personified. LBJ and Kobe are following the MJ path, favored by Stern, media like ESPN and brands like Nike. They may be great players, but I don't like them and I find it weird to spend so much time discussing them.

On topic, if hand-checking is allowed, I bet LeBron could beat both Kobe and Jordan one-on-one. But I don't think any of those three could destroy the other two. You know who would destroy them? prime Allen Iverson, Tracy McGrady and Penny Hardaway. And Reggie Lewis would probably block their shots and break their wills after 5 minutes, too.

What would be nice would be to watch those three divas playing HORSE against Pistol Pete Maravich, Larry Bird and Kevin Durant. Now that would be amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCk7SjkSE4c