Author Topic: Sactown trade idea for DeMarcus Cousins  (Read 5529 times)

Sactown trade idea for DeMarcus Cousins
« on: September 19, 2013, 04:38:26 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Hey guys....

One millionth trade idea!

DeMarcus Cousins..
Carl Landry 4 years
Chuck Hayes 2 years 

Long terms deals for
Wallace
Kelly O
Sully
Bogans
Brooks or Crawford
Our 10 Million Trade Exception
one 1st Round Pick...

Thats a lot of talent to DC but with our roster we would be a serious 4th seed....with multiple picks coming up.  Sign DC to an extension and I like the new team better!     
Diggles

Re: Sactown trade idea for DeMarcus Cousins
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 04:55:33 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Hey guys....

DeMarcus Cousins..
Carl Landry 4 years
Chuck Hayes 2 years 

Long terms deals for
Wallace
Kelly O
Sully
Bogans
Brooks or Crawford
one 1st Round Pick...

Thats a lot of talent to DC but with our roster we would be a serious 4th seed....with multiple picks coming up.  Sign DC to an extension and I like the new team better!   

No offense, but thats the worst trade in history of Celticsblog...

You basically give up your entire roster for a unproven upcoming Center who has high potential?

So what if he's a bust? Plus you got the 6'7 Sir-Too-Small-A-Lot-Chuck Hayes, and Carl Landry who is decent, but nowhere worth his contract, plus he is committed to staying in Sactown, and I doubt he'll be departing any time soon.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 05:36:25 PM »

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
We're not getting Cousins for anything less than Rondo. It's pure and simple. The Kings see him as their franchise player and would want one back in return. It's a nice thought though.

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 05:41:12 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
We're not getting Cousins for anything less than Rondo. It's pure and simple. The Kings see him as their franchise player and would want one back in return. It's a nice thought though.

I agree that it will take a lot.  Monkhouse thinking its a bad trade for Boston is proof he under values DC and over Values the boys in green. 

I just think youngsters Sully, KO a 1st and 10 million trade exception would make them think twice.   They do not have the pieces to surround DC yet.   They clear two other long term contracts.  We become deep and have a young starting 5 moving forward with a nasty edge.   
Diggles

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

I agree that it will take a lot.  Monkhouse thinking its a bad trade for Boston is proof he under values DC and over Values the boys in green. 

I just think youngsters Sully, KO a 1st and 10 million trade exception would make them think twice.   They do not have the pieces to surround DC yet.   They clear two other long term contracts.  We become deep and have a young starting 5 moving forward with a nasty edge.   

There's no way they agree to that package.  Rondo, Sully or Olynyk, and at least one first would be the starting point for any Cousins trade, in my opinion.  And even then I don't see them biting. 

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 07:22:01 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

If you think thats the worst trade idea in celticsblog history than you certainly havent been on celticsblog very long. There have been far far worse.

Even if that deal takes a lot of talent away from us, the Kings arent trading us Cousins unless Rondo is involved in that conversation.

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 07:31:25 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

If you think thats the worst trade idea in celticsblog history than you certainly havent been on celticsblog very long. There have been far far worse.

Even if that deal takes a lot of talent away from us, the Kings arent trading us Cousins unless Rondo is involved in that conversation.

Okay maybe not the worst trade, but why do we want to go after DC?

I was the advocate for getting him, but now I can't stand him. He had a chance to get his career on track, but just squandered it.

At some point waiting for potential is pointless...

You know who'd be a better fit anyways for the Celtics? Larry Sanders.

Shot blocking, defensive, and great TS% at within 10 feet of the rim. That's who you want for a team. A good defensive big can protect the rim, and is cheaper than a offensive no defensive big like DC.

Did I forget to mention DC has one of the worst defense among Centers?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 09:08:17 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Hey guys....

DeMarcus Cousins..
Carl Landry 4 years
Chuck Hayes 2 years 

Long terms deals for
Wallace
Kelly O
Sully
Bogans
Brooks or Crawford
one 1st Round Pick...

No offense, but thats the worst trade in history of Celticsblog...

You basically give up your entire roster for a unproven upcoming Center who has high potential?

So what if he's a bust? Plus you got the 6'7 Sir-Too-Small-A-Lot-Chuck Hayes, and Carl Landry who is decent, but nowhere worth his contract, plus he is committed to staying in Sactown, and I doubt he'll be departing any time soon.

It's actually okay as a trade idea. They'd possibly bite on Sully + Olynyk + our first round Nets pick and the fillers.
or they'd want our first round pick this year + a filler.

I do agree that the only way they give up Cuz is if we give them Rondo. Or Green+Sully + Nets pick. Even then theyd have to be pretty p---ed off with him to do it without Rondo.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 11:00:42 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Wow,

a nuclear holocaust for the Cs; KO, Sully, Brooks, and a first round pick - trading away our future;

However, if they accept a package of Wallace, Hump, and Bass I'm all for it
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 12:13:03 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
This might sound dumb, but if Cousins had better body language and facial expressions while on the court I would do that trade in a heartbeat.  The day in and day out mannerisms make me question him even more than when his behavior really flares up.

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 07:34:43 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I will say that the kings couldn't really expect a more perfect replacement for Cousins than Sullinger.

Similar games but Sulley is much less of a headcase, Sulley has a lower ceiling but you could feature him heavily in the offense, I like to think he wouldn't quit on the team now that they have strong leadership in Mike Malone, and we could package him with future assests like picks, hump's expiring and a good vet like Lee or even Wallace if they like him.

Aside from Lamarcus Aldridge or a Cleveland package, I don't think they could do better than what we have to offer.

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 09:53:11 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I was the advocate for getting him, but now I can't stand him. He had a chance to get his career on track, but just squandered it.

Shot blocking, defensive, and great TS% at within 10 feet of the rim. That's who you want for a team. A good defensive big can protect the rim, and is cheaper than a offensive no defensive big like DC.

Obviously Larry Sanders would be an excellent fit here but so wouldn't a lot of centers that we wouldn't be able to obtain and I dont think Sanders is going anywhere.

Cousins is more obtainable and for that package the Kings would really have to think about it because we are giving up a lot of talent. However we would also be getting Landry and Hayes in return. Nothing amazing but good role players to fill around the core.

I dont see this trade as all that crazy. Cousins only just turned 23 and has 3 NBA years of experience under his belt. He already posts career averages of 16 and 10 and isnt anywhere near where he could be. To get him we give up Wallace who has a bad contract and doesnt fit in with our future, Kelly O who is an unproven mid first rounder who might not transfer well into the NBA, Sully who already has injury red flags and is an undersized power forward anyway, Marshon Brooks who is undersized for his position and over valued in general, a first round pick when we have many stockpiled, and out trade exception.

Thats a good haul for a 23 year old center who can easily be an all star in a weak centered eastern conference. Leaves us with a core of

Rondo/Pressy/Crawford
Bradley/Lee
Green/Bogans
Bass/Landry/Humphries
Cousins/Hayes/Faverani

Weak bench but a real nice starting lineup also without giving up Humphries contract. When you can get a guy who will be an all star you have to give up talent. This is what we did in the KG trade (obviously Cousins isnt KG) but Sully, Olynyk and Brooks could easily turn out to be Telfairs, Greens, and Jeffersons.

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 10:02:04 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I laughed.  :)

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 10:13:26 AM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
you know...The DMC trade ideas have always been fascinating to me.  There's a large population of Celtics fans that HATE the idea of trading young talent (Sully/KO/etc) for a "troubled" young Star (Cousins).  But I'm in the minority here.  I like the idea of making a move like this.  Sure, it's risky....But if there wasn't risk involved there would be a -10% chance of Sacto even considering moving DMC.  For all we know, they AREN'T considering moving him despite his issues. 

Think of it this way.  DMC has the size, ability and talent to be THE MOST DOMINATE CENTER IN BASKETBALL!!!  The environment he's been in over in Sacto has been toxic!  a revolving door of coaches, systems, teammates and even front office execs.  There's been ZERO consistency in that organization.  And for young player like DMC who clearly needs mentoring and guidance, that's a horrible combination.  In my opinion, if DMC ever got the opportunity to start fresh via trade in an organization like Boston, Dallas, LA, etc I'm confident we'd not only see a well behaved DMC, but a DOMINATE DMC. 

These are the type of risks that great GM's make.  The upside outweighs the risk.  If he starts causing trouble he's still a young, dominate Center with trade value.  Ainge could swing him elsewhere.  Organizations are always willing to give these guys opportunities.  There's always at least a few GM's who think they can "save" players.  So at the end of the day it's really not even that risky.

I can see the ads now.  RUN DMC (Rondo/Cousins/Green, etc)   

I would do this trade in a heartbeat. 

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 10:33:08 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum

If we can get Larry Sanders for less than I would do it.  But I'm thinking Sac and Portland are two teams that have thought about moving there bigs. 

But DC is an offensive threat, rebounder and can be trained to play D.  Larry Sanders is more of a defensive presence and rebounder.   I think after moving that package we need DC and his offensive game.   We would need KO if we traded for Sanders, a stretch 4 type of player. 

I just think we need to make some moves.... for a young star that "is" proven and has room to grow.   

Our trade assets are solid role players with potential.....and like someone said waiting on potential to develop is a chance.  (West, Gomes, Telfair...Jefferson is a stud)  Swap those guys into a All star is not out of the question.   Adding a first and 10 million monoply money is hard to say no too.   Sulley, Brooks and KO fit that mold. 

Include a long term deal another team wants to move as well.....Well we are right back where we need to be to become a young exciting team that will grow together.   

Rondo and Larry Sanders are two guys that need scores around them to be efficient. 

I really think Sac would think about this.   They are young and to add KO, Sully and Brooks to that core.  With a 10 million trade exception and another 1st.  Get out of two vet contracts for 6/7 million.  You can almost start fresh. 
Diggles