Author Topic: Webber in the Hall of Fame?  (Read 19374 times)

Re: Webber in the Hall of Fame?
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2013, 11:36:51 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Webber is somewhat close to KG if KG retired after minnesota

Sure, if KG played defense like Webber.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 03:42:20 PM by BballTim »

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2013, 12:17:47 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Webber had 6 seasons of at least 20 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 assists.  3 more of at least 20, 9 and 3.4.  A bunch of other really good statistical seasons.  All of this while being fairly consistently injured.  He took a number of pretty sub par teams to the playoffs.  He is basically Kevin Garnett without the trade to Boston or a better version of Chris Bosh without Miami. 

He is also a better player than a number of players in the HOF and there aren't that many that are eligible that aren't in that are better than him (I can't actually think of one).  I think he probably gets in someday, but not on the first ballot, especially if his time at Michigan is counted.

That's true, but that's a very tricky idea and precedent to set.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2013, 12:55:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
KG's peak at Minnesota was much better than Webber's.

Similar scoring (KG was more efficient there though too) and passing, much better defense and rebounding. Makes a big difference when your peak is MVP and if your peak was merely all-nba.

« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2013, 01:37:17 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Similar scoring (KG was more efficient there though too) and passing, much better defense and rebounding. Makes a big difference when your peak is MVP and if your peak was merely all-nba.

Agreed, but I do think Webber was a better passer and ballhandler than KG.

Although I guess that depends on how much you value flashy passing and handles.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2013, 02:11:57 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy5AhhCY8ZY
Garnett's had a couple of flashy passes.

« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2013, 02:20:46 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Totally. Not trying to denigrate KG at all.

But KG couldn't run the break like C-Webb.

« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Totally. Not trying to denigrate KG at all.

But KG couldn't run the break like C-Webb.
Can't argue with that.

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2013, 04:21:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

much better is a stretch.  Webber was a better and more varied offensive player.  Much higher peak ppg, more post moves, and a longer range on the jump shot.  Webber was a much better ball handler and they were both excellent passers (Webber actually has a better career AST%).  KG was obviously a better rebounder (though some of that is who they played with and Webber was actually a better offensive rebounder) and a significantly better defensive player overall (though Webber was a pretty good shot blocker and his man defense was always underrated).  KG was/is better but their peaks aren't so far off that a comparison is silly.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2013, 04:35:25 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Hypothetical: swap KG onto those Sac teams and Webber onto Minny.

How do things unfold?

« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2013, 04:50:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

much better is a stretch.  Webber was a better and more varied offensive player.  Much higher peak ppg, more post moves, and a longer range on the jump shot.  Webber was a much better ball handler and they were both excellent passers (Webber actually has a better career AST%).  KG was obviously a better rebounder (though some of that is who they played with and Webber was actually a better offensive rebounder) and a significantly better defensive player overall (though Webber was a pretty good shot blocker and his man defense was always underrated).  KG was/is better but their peaks aren't so far off that a comparison is silly.
Not a stretch at all. The PPG difference is a few points which is mostly explained by a much faster pace and slightly higher usage by Webber. Meanwhile KG had superior efficiency at their best, gave him a higher ORTG, PER, ARPM, win shares, every way you can measure it.

KG had a higher assist percentage at their peaks too, his career is lower because he's still playing as an offensive role player. Also KG was a better offensive rebounder at their peaks, Webber had right around 7 during his KG was at around 9. KG has just played longer his offensive rebounding declined as he aged and played more seasons and minutes as an older player (plus coaching wise Doc had him bail on it to play D).

Webber had a better low post game, but KG had his killer face up game in the high post and an underrated post game himself.

So yeah KG had a much better peak that was also longer (I was really sad for Webber when he blew his knee right in the middle of his), I think the difference between MVP caliber peak and an all-nba talent is significant one.

« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2013, 10:56:04 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

How do things unfold?
I think the Kings may have been champions a couple times with KG.  I don't think much would have changed with Webber on the Wolves.

« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2013, 11:24:36 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

How do things unfold?
I think the Kings may have been champions a couple times with KG.  I don't think much would have changed with Webber on the Wolves.

Agreed. Those Kings teams would have benefited hugely from having someone with a tougher mental attitude. And KG never had shot makers like Peja and Bibby around him.

« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2013, 11:28:10 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

How do things unfold?

Would've had a title in '02. Other than that, not sure. West was so good during that period.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2013, 11:34:52 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

How do things unfold?

Would've had a title in '02. Other than that, not sure. West was so good during that period.
But KG is a "culture changer" as they say.  Webber was along for the flashy ride, and he was awesome for a couple of years.  I just think the Kings would have had a whole different attitude and some extra nastiness and accountability if KG were on that team.