Poll

Which option would you prefer for the 2013-14 Celtics?

Finish with one of the worst five records in the league.
30 (53.6%)
Make the playoffs as a seventh or eighth seed.
26 (46.4%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: To Tank or Not To Tank, That is the Question  (Read 57372 times)

Re: To Tank or Not To Tank, That is the Question
« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2013, 02:11:42 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'll add my prediction for eastern conference standings in light of Ainge's acknowledgment that Rondo may not return until early December.

1.  Miami
2.  Brooklyn
3.  Chicago
4.  Indiana
5.  New York
6.  Cleveland
7.  Detroit
8.  Washington
9.  Toronto
10. Atlanta
11. Milwaukee
12. Charlotte
13. Orlando
14. Boston
15. Philadelphia

That sure is a fantankerous prediction for the Celtics. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #166 on: September 24, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/09/24/celtics-ainge-on-toucher-rich-rondo-a-building-block-would-be-difficult-to-trade-him/

With Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett now in Brooklyn, the Celtics have begun their rebuilding phase. But Ainge said his team will not be tanking to get a high draft pick, and feels the C’s are in a good position to compete for a playoff spot.

“Mediocrity is purgatory for an extended period of time. There can be some great benefits to have the goal to make the playoffs,” he said. “Young players develop in winning environments, playing meaningful games. I understand the theory of trying to tank games, but I don’t think our team is in that situation.”

I agree, Danny. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #167 on: September 24, 2013, 03:00:15 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/09/24/celtics-ainge-on-toucher-rich-rondo-a-building-block-would-be-difficult-to-trade-him/

With Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett now in Brooklyn, the Celtics have begun their rebuilding phase. But Ainge said his team will not be tanking to get a high draft pick, and feels the C’s are in a good position to compete for a playoff spot.

“Mediocrity is purgatory for an extended period of time. There can be some great benefits to have the goal to make the playoffs,” he said. “Young players develop in winning environments, playing meaningful games. I understand the theory of trying to tank games, but I don’t think our team is in that situation.”

I agree, Danny.

Try as they may, they are just a really bad team.  I actually agree with Danny that they should try to win every single game.  Ultimately however, they will win less than 30 games, effort or not.  Missing Rondo for at least a quarter of the season is a huge loss.

« Reply #168 on: September 24, 2013, 03:12:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I agree, Danny.

That's some real nice snake oil, Danny.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #169 on: September 24, 2013, 03:26:30 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I wonder what Ainge would call a team with a ceiling that is arguably a first round exit.

I wonder if he would call that "mediocre."

Flipside: I would love to see the C's make the playoffs, even if I don't think its going to happen.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #170 on: September 24, 2013, 05:03:51 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170

I agree, Danny.

That's some real nice snake oil, Danny.

Maybe. Maybe not. Lord knows Danny has lied about his true intentions before. It's part of his job. It comes with the territory. But his general premise there has some truth to it. It's just as likely he is being honest about his thoughts about tanking as well. We'll find out when the season starts.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #171 on: September 25, 2013, 01:37:04 AM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
This team won't have to tank. They lack talent and will lose a ton of games regardless. Charlotte has more talent on their roster than this Celtic team does. If this C's team goes head to head against Charlotte it would be a toss up for who would win that game. Jeff Green and an injured Rondo are not enough to carry this team into the playoffs.

« Reply #172 on: September 25, 2013, 01:57:12 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
By season`s end there will be a conspiracy theory going amongst the small market teams about how Stern jerry-rigged the schedule to get the Cs good lottery odds. Our schedule is pretty front loaded "to make sure we pack in the losses before Rondo comes back."
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2013, 08:21:55 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
By season`s end there will be a conspiracy theory going amongst the small market teams about how Stern jerry-rigged the schedule to get the Cs good lottery odds. Our schedule is pretty front loaded "to make sure we pack in the losses before Rondo comes back."

November doesn't look that tough to me.  Sure, there are a lot of games in there, but the competition doesn't look all that stiff.  There are plenty of games against the likes of the Bucks, the Magic, the Bobcats, the Cavs, the Jazz, the Hawks, and the Raptors.

There's a road game against Miami in there and a tough little three game stretch where we finish off a mini road trip against the Rockets and Spurs and then come home to face Indy, but other than that, I could see this team winning about half of their first twenty games even if they are without Rondo. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2013, 08:27:44 AM »

fitzhickey

without Rondo I don't think we need to tank as we have very little talent otherwise. with Rondo we are by no means a good team but we're about 10th best in the east give or take 2 teams IMO

« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2013, 10:26:30 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

November doesn't look that tough to me.  Sure, there are a lot of games in there, but the competition doesn't look all that stiff.  There are plenty of games against the likes of the Bucks, the Magic, the Bobcats, the Cavs, the Jazz, the Hawks, and the Raptors.

There's a road game against Miami in there and a tough little three game stretch where we finish off a mini road trip against the Rockets and Spurs and then come home to face Indy, but other than that, I could see this team winning about half of their first twenty games even if they are without Rondo.

10 of the first 16 are on the road.   'Doesn't matter who you play, in the NBA, that's a tough schedule.   It's even worse on young teams.

Go back and look at the 'young' teams last year that actually played well over all - even making the play offs.  All did much, much worse on the road.

I'm not an advocate for tanking, but with no Rondo, I would consider it a small miracle for us to get to the end of November with 8 wins.   I'm not going to say it can't or won't happen.  I just would consider it an amazing feat.   I would be actually happy with 6 wins (which would be 6-13).   While that's bad, I think things get a little easier from that point - and Rondo will be coming back at some point.

December flips things around.  A few tougher teams, but 9 home games to only 3 on the road.   I think that will be the true 'test' of how the season goes.   If they can do any sort of run during that time, then they could reach the New Year at least close to .500 and maybe playing with some confidence.   But if they can't even win at home, and Rondo's comeback pushes to 'late' December ... they could be in pretty sad shape, record-wise.

January starts of with a brutal first two weeks.  Heck, it's last two weeks aren't all that nice either.   

February, March and April look much 'friendlier'.    That's what is going to make things really interesting.   The team could actually be starting to play well by then, and finally have a stretch of more winnable games.  But because of the brutal November and January schedule, not matter how hard they try, they could be sitting with a pretty awful record at the end of January.   The could literally be 'in line' for a top lottery seed at that point. 

But then, assuming they are fully healthy, if they actually put themselves to it, they could literally play themselves out of it over the last three months.   The question is:  Will they? 
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2013, 12:22:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Celtics. Driving a big ol tank straight to the lottery .   .....hop on board  ;D

« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
Celtics. Driving a big ol tank straight to the lottery .   .....hop on board  ;D

No thanks.  I'll pass on that train. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2013, 02:05:19 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
without Rondo I don't think we need to tank as we have very little talent otherwise. with Rondo we are by no means a good team but we're about 10th best in the east give or take 2 teams IMO
You are right about the talent level.  An ESPN expert ranked all the teams in terms of current player talent.  The Celtics were 28th out of 30 teams.

« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2013, 02:21:25 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
You are right about the talent level.  An ESPN expert ranked all the teams in terms of current player talent.  The Celtics were 28th out of 30 teams.

Oooh, an expert!
DKC Seventy-Sixers: