Author Topic: Is it just me? Gerald Wallace... everyone else... (UPDATE)  (Read 21119 times)

Re: Is it just me? Gerald Wallace... everyone else...
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2013, 12:36:45 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
I don't think you can build Bass' value up at this point. Teams already know who he is: a non-rebounder/passer/rim defender who can only hit mid-range shots.  Unless he really improves as a player, him putting up better averages on mediocre to bad underlying percentages on a bad team isn't going to make him more desirable. At any rate, whatever and whoever they can get for Bass isn't going to be much. Draft pick compensation would be at best a second round pick and I can't imagine how unexciting the new player would be.

On merit and entertainment value, I'd go with Wallace 100 percent over Bass.

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2013, 10:30:45 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't think you can build Bass' value up at this point. Teams already know who he is: a non-rebounder/passer/rim defender who can only hit mid-range shots.  Unless he really improves as a player, him putting up better averages on mediocre to bad underlying percentages on a bad team isn't going to make him more desirable. At any rate, whatever and whoever they can get for Bass isn't going to be much. Draft pick compensation would be at best a second round pick and I can't imagine how unexciting the new player would be.

On merit and entertainment value, I'd go with Wallace 100 percent over Bass.

Right.  Bass is what he is.  He can really only hurt his stock.  Although, if he gets completely buried, that in itself could hurt him.  But, I think he will certainly play minutes, just not a ton.

Wallace on the other hand, should be a significantly better player, and also has much more potential to build value.  Wallace is coming off his worst year in a long time, and the buzz around the league is that he is cooked.  If he can show that last year was an aberation, perhaps having to do with him disappearing in a system that didn't play to his strengths, then he could suddenly be a commodity. 

I would be surprised if Wallace isn't starting, or at least playing 30+ minutes per game next year. 

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2013, 05:58:09 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Yea so, when Danny doesn't even have much contact with someone you know it's more than them just being busy w/ family or charity events.

Scott Souza ‏@scott_souza 8h

#Celtics president Danny Ainge: I'm anxious to meet Gerald Wallace, haven't had much contact since trade.

He doesn't want anything to do with the C's and this only confirms my suspicion. I love players like Wallace but I can't support people who don't want to be here. I'm still going to wait until he HAS to be here b4 I write him off but this is ridiculous! He doesn't owe us fans anything yet but to not talk to Danny much since the trade? Everyone else on the team has been around (even Bogans who I hadn't heard much about at first, has been there mentoring the other guys)!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2013, 07:27:45 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Yea so, when Danny doesn't even have much contact with someone you know it's more than them just being busy w/ family or charity events.

Scott Souza ‏@scott_souza 8h

#Celtics president Danny Ainge: I'm anxious to meet Gerald Wallace, haven't had much contact since trade.

He doesn't want anything to do with the C's and this only confirms my suspicion. I love players like Wallace but I can't support people who don't want to be here. I'm still going to wait until he HAS to be here b4 I write him off but this is ridiculous! He doesn't owe us fans anything yet but to not talk to Danny much since the trade? Everyone else on the team has been around (even Bogans who I hadn't heard much about at first, has been there mentoring the other guys)!

well, he didn't say no contact, and he does expect him to show up, so it may not be that bad. Who knows?

Re: Is it just me? Gerald Wallace... everyone else... (UPDATE)
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2013, 09:33:13 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The Phone Call:

Danny:  Hey, Gerald.  Danny Ainge here, excited to have you on board.

Gerald:  Thanks, Danny.  I'm excited to get started in October.  I'm going to spend the rest of the summer down here relaxing, running my charity tournament, and spending quality time with my family.

Danny: Sounds great, Gerald.  I look forward to seeing you in Newport.

Gerald:  Ditto.  I'll be there and ready to work, boss.

Danny:  Allright, take care.

Gerald:  Later.

Something like that sounds about right to me.  I'm not worried about Gerald Wallace not being on board. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2013, 03:13:26 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Or...

http://bostonherald.com/sports/celtics_nba/boston_celtics/2013/09/jared_sullinger_looks_toward_season?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bostonherald%2Fsports%2Fbasketball+%28Celtics+%26+NBA+-+BostonHerald.com%29

“I’m anxious to meet Gerald,” said Ainge. “I’ve met him before when I was doing television, but I haven’t had much conversation with him. He’s really the only one (I haven’t talked to). I’ll meet him next week, watch him closely, and we’ll sit down. I’ve obviously watched him play a lot of basketball. Gerald got a good contract in Charlotte. He was their best player when they went to the playoffs. That led to a big payday for him. He was traded for two first-round picks to Portland. He did very well in Portland, to the point where New Jersey wanted to give away Damian Lillard in order to get him. New Jersey wanted him bad enough to pay him a very lucrative contract.
“It seemed that everywhere he’s been he’s been well-liked and well-compensated. He’s a great player. It wasn’t a great fit for him in (Brooklyn) last year, but we’ll try to see if it’s a better fit for us.”
As for not having talked to Wallace yet?
“It’s a nightmare trying to get hold of players in the summertime,” Ainge said. “It was the same way when I was a player. I didn’t want to talk to anybody.”

That last part may be true but why is it that GW is the only one he can't get in touch with? Yea, Wallace has a busy life but other guys on the team do too yet they find a few minutes to at least talk on the phone or text. Sugar coat it all they want GW doesn't want to be in Boston... I don't blame him, no one wants to go from contender to a team that may not even be a pretender. Like I have been saying, if he does his job on the court, it won't matter (I'm sure he will). I'm just pointing out that it's weird and none of their explanations or lack of, is helping.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2013, 06:36:10 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Wow. Ainge hasn't even talked to the guy yet? That is a little concerning. He def does not want to be here.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2013, 08:15:07 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If Gerald Wallace doesn't show up for training camp, then I'll start fretting.  Until then, I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson