Author Topic: If Rondo becomes Stockton & Green becomes King, can we win?  (Read 19204 times)

Re: If Rondo becomes Stockton & Green becomes King, can we win?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 11:22:20 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I remember reading a while back that Green drew a comparison to James Worthy. King is sort of the same hyperbole.

That was Scal, or Mike (can't recall) during one of last year's preseason games. After Green finished with one of those Worthy-esque drives to the hoop that ended in a rather lovely finger roll.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2013, 12:37:38 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Ned a Malone for it to work...!!! And hornaciek...!!!

« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2013, 01:21:01 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
rondo lready is as good as Stockton...passing...but rondo drives better....has more drive moves / ability...so far Stockton shot better...but rondo is just getting going.....B King was a GREAT scorer...but a major ball hog.....in the Allen Iverson mode.....not a good choice.....the Jordon-bird mode is best.....draw them to you in double teams, then use the open guy..so they can never beat you...!

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2013, 01:35:18 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
rondo lready is as good as Stockton...passing...but rondo drives better....has more drive moves / ability...so far Stockton shot better...but rondo is just getting going.....B King was a GREAT scorer...but a major ball hog.....in the Allen Iverson mode.....not a good choice.....the Jordon-bird mode is best.....draw them to you in double teams, then use the open guy..so they can never beat you...!

Yes, because Jordan's career 5.3 APG and 33.3% Usage rate just screams that he was a more willing passer and less of a ball hog than Allen Iverson--who finished his NBA career with 6.2 APG and 31.8 Usage.

edit: or their assist percentages, with AI's 28 and Jordan's 24.

Totally rational argument, not at all cluttered by player perception.

;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 01:49:34 PM by D.o.s. »
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2013, 03:15:49 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......

Yes, because Jordan's career 5.3 APG and 33.3% Usage rate just screams that he was a more willing passer and less of a ball hog than Allen Iverson--who finished his NBA career with 6.2 APG and 31.8 Usage.

;D

~ enter the self reveling quote...how to tell someone has never played a game of basketball....in their life.....they live on STATS.....Jordon didn't win anything until he turned into a more team player instead of a GREAT individual....you didn't touch the Bird part......Stats really tell....not much....stats tell a small part of a story, to the seasoned evaluator, as in a scout for a team....for example, a GREAT passer could show 0% assists, IF he played on a team with people who could never finish at the rim....they were set up perfectly, but flubbed every  one.....BUT, what would the STATS say........THATS...the STATS..... ;D

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2013, 03:56:12 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

;D

~ enter the self reveling quote...how to tell someone has never played a game of basketball....in their life.....they live on STATS.....Jordon didn't win anything until he turned into a more team player instead of a GREAT individual....you didn't touch the Bird part......Stats really tell....not much....stats tell a small part of a story, to the seasoned evaluator, as in a scout for a team....for example, a GREAT passer could show 0% assists, IF he played on a team with people who could never finish at the rim....they were set up perfectly, but flubbed every  one.....BUT, what would the STATS say........THATS...the STATS..... ;D

I guess I've not played enough basketball in my life, because I have no idea who this "Jordon" guy is.

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2013, 04:02:06 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

;D

I just think the AI-was-a-ballhog-and-never-passed-the-ball bit is overblown. And the stats help bear that out. Dude was a much more willing passer than fits into most narratives about his game. In fact, by all available metrics, he was a more willing passer than Jordan.

Also, while I do play hoops, I didn't (and don't) do more than rec league/park level stuff--owing to the fact that I'm 5'11 160-ish with decidedly meh handles and no ups. :'(

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2013, 04:36:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I want Iverson posted to post his FG % compared to Jordan.   Volume scorers tend not to be great team players and guys who shoot in the low 40's hurt their team.  Iverson shot .425% for his career.   Yuck.  Jordan shot close to 50%.

Jordan was a SF .   Allen was  a guard.   Hence, Iverson might have more assists as he was in a position to start the offense more.   Iverson certainly was not a PG and with his shooting it is hard to say he was a SG.   He is the dreaded combo guard.   Could he play, heck yes!   Could he play efficiently, nope.

I do not think RR will ever be Jock Stockton.   RR is a better athlete than Stockton.  Stockton was a better shooter across the board.   Both are good passers but other than that their games are vastly different.   King and Jefferson are not that similar either.  King used a turnaround jumper alot as I recall and shooted a lot more jumpers.   Green is more of a slasher.

King nothing like Green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-U86VQSFHc

Stockton nothing like Rondo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myMvojT6zIc

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2013, 06:04:21 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......

;D

I just think the AI-was-a-ballhog-and-never-passed-the-ball bit is overblown. And the stats help bear that out. Dude was a much more willing passer than fits into most narratives about his game. In fact, by all available metrics, he was a more willing passer than Jordan.

Also, while I do play hoops, I didn't (and don't) do more than rec league/park level stuff--owing to the fact that I'm 5'11 160-ish with decidedly meh handles and no ups. :'(

Well....I never said I was right about my post...or anything else...it was just a thought....Allen Iverson had a lot of skills....he would have been a great 2....guard....Jordon was great also....but Jordon wanted to be the whole team,.....he just realized or was told it doesn't work that way...and he had better players on his teams than AI did...no big deal....I thought I was responding the way you wrote yours....but again I was wrong.....email is hard to understand the inflections....., besides, we are all here for the CELTICS....soooo..PEACE...!!!

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2013, 06:11:16 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
And sorry about the playing reference.....nothing personal meant.....

I think Green has more potential to be more like james worthy....and rondo does have some in common with Stockton...they were both pure pg.....rondo is currently the best passer in the league....he even invented a few pass plays that no one ever did b4......except that one player that escapes me now......and rondo isn't done improving yet at all....but they are still diff.....too.....and Stockton had the same team / structure for his career....rondo now has a whole different deal....coach....players....role.....having malon there all the time would make even ME a great passer....LOL...the only one who could slow Malone was rodman....the woime....worm....! And in the end....time will tell more than we can say here......!

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2013, 06:54:12 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Unfortunately, Green as Worthy, isn't enough for this current crew.

As for the HoF small forward, the reason why I'd picked King is that he's the only guy who could basically do it alone. With only Bill Cartwright (pre-injury) by his side, he took the Celts a full 7 games in the 84 ECF. And that was a championship Larry Bird team.

Now, imagine him and Rondo (with Stockton's shooting) on this squad of ours. Basically, all we'll need to add are the complimentary role players: Tony Allen (in-your-face wing defender), J Posey (No fear of the Big Game, jack-of-all-trades defender/shooter), and K Perkins (Enforcer, thug down low) and we can contend.

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2013, 10:53:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

;D

You can't just look at the numbers, you have to have watched them play. AI shot the ball while triple teamed on a regular basis. He took a lot of ill-advised shots under heavy pressure while his teammates were open.

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2013, 12:28:04 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
It's not that you're wrong, it's that the position stated by "Bring Back TWill" Scal verges into hyperbole.

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2013, 09:33:12 AM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
Bring back TWill...!!!!

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2013, 10:34:27 AM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • You say when......
What does that past post have to do with anything.....odd that you would still be holding onto that.....