Author Topic: If Rondo becomes Stockton & Green becomes King, can we win?  (Read 19232 times)

Re: If Rondo becomes Stockton & Green becomes King, can we win?
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2013, 10:35:58 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
There was like a four month period where it seemed like all you posted were variations on "bring back TWill." ;D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2013, 11:16:22 AM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
So what, what is with you....It was ONE post.....the guy defended wade and LeBron very well, was a slasher, and reminded me of TA in a good way....and it has nothing to do with this post....many others thought the same thing...they just avoided getting more into it because they saw the immense immaturity that brings down the level of conversation here....it really makes me ask myself WHO am I talking to here, and how young are some here....it is baffling.

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2013, 11:48:38 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'm just making some lighthearted comments. It's the offseason, we're either talking about tanking, the upcoming draft class, or totally blowing our roster out of proportion by comparing them to hall of famers.

Relax. That's the smiley face for don't take it seriously. ;D

Perhaps this one should be used instead? 8)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Enough with the bickering.  Calling out other posters isn't allowed under our rules.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2013, 01:22:18 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
Well, it has been my experience to establish at least some sort of online friendship before you delve into butt busting......people don't know you....just saying things and trying to patch it with a smiley face.....I am actually very reasonable....and do enjoy some joshing about it......but you should think more about the context.....and then see if you are 1 of 100 on someone also....right or wrong...we are all just talking hoop here.....if you wouldn't say it in person to a stranger in a bar...then don't say it here...there is plenty of time to get along with someone here first.....overall it is no big deal.....just fyi....

« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
All right, Game 1, Green looked great on offense. Bernard King, here we come  ;D !

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2013, 05:40:40 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Why not just turn Green into Bird and leave Rondo as is, done!
Turn Brooks into Michael Jordan.

/thread
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2013, 02:28:39 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
the answer to the question as stated is "Yes"

but it is a moot point, because it is a PSYCHOLOGICAL impossibility for Rondo to be as rock-solid consistent as Stockton and for Green to compete like King.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2013, 02:41:29 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
Others have said it but Green's in some daydreaming/lala state. And thus, once-in-a-while, a young King emerges but then, he's back to his sleepwalking routine.

All right... so time will tell, but if Green can snap out of this malaise, we could see a Bernard King in front of us, a man who can score at will, from anywhere on the court.

And then, if Rondo's shot starts falling... John Stockton on the loose.

The rest of the team has already got their assignments from Stevens.

Then, all you need on top of that is a *Big Game* James Posey-like player and you can compete for a ring.

The idea being is that Posey plays tough 'D' on opposing franchise perimeter players and then, hits those clutch threes when King's double (or triple) teamed down low.

Remember, it took the '84 Celtics, a full 7 games, to stop the Knicks in the ECF when the next best player next to King was Bill Cartwright. If King had Stockton or Posey on his squad, history may have been written differently.

So now, let's write a new future.

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2013, 02:51:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Others have said it but Green's in some daydreaming/lala state. And thus, once-in-a-while, a young King emerges but then, he's back to his sleepwalking routine.

All right... so time will tell, but if Green can snap out of this malaise, we could see a Bernard King in front of us, a man who can score at will, from anywhere on the court.

Then, all you need on top of that is a *Big Game* James Posey-like player and you can compete for a ring.

The idea being is that Posey plays tough 'D' on opposing franchise perimeter players and then, hits those clutch threes when King's double (or triple) teamed down low.

In 1984 the Knicks made 47 threes during the entire regular season, the Celts made 55, and only 1 team in the league made more than 1 per game. The league wide 3fg% was .250. Posey wouldn't be hitting those clutch threes because that wasn't how they played back then.

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2013, 02:54:44 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum

In 1984 the Knicks made 47 threes during the entire regular season, the Celts made 55, and only 1 team in the league made more than 1 per game. The league wide 3fg% was .250. Posey wouldn't be hitting those clutch threes because that wasn't how they played back then.

Sorry, I'd meant our "King", as in Jeff Green. And then, we've got the trio of Green, "Stockton" Rondo, & "Posey" unknown future player.

Plus, if the original Knick's King had Stockton & Posey, they would have been a formidable opponent next to the C's.

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Remember, it took the '84 Celtics, a full 7 games, to stop the Knicks in the ECF when the next best player next to King was Bill Cartwright. If King had Stockton or Posey on his squad, history may have been written differently.

So now, let's write a new future.

Juuuuust want to point out that Green is 27. At 27 Bernard King's career was halfway over and he averaged 26.3ppg in 34.6 minutes. Green is a little to old to just be hitting "young King" when he's at his best and actually hope there's a consistent star in there.

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2013, 04:41:01 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
This is a kind of crazy hypothetical but I will play along.

If Rondo comes back and still has all of his prior athleticism but adds a shooting touch comparable to Stockton, that would be a significant upgrade to the team.  Then if Green suddenly got consistent and averaged say 25 per game (ala King), those two in that carnation, could form the cornerstones of a title contender.

Neither is impossible but the likelihood of both happening is remote at best.  I think it is more likely (or perhaps I should say only slightly less remotely likely) we win the lottery and draft Parker or Wiggins though.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 04:57:19 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2013, 04:55:09 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
If Rondo comes back and still has all of his prior athleticism but adds a shooting touch comparable to Stockton, that would be a significant upgrade to the team.  Then if Green suddenly got consistent and averaged say 25 per game (ala King), those two in that carnation, could form the cornerstones of a title contender.

Now that's the spirit!

If I may quote a former first lady ...

Quote from: Eleanor Roosevelt
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams  :)

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2013, 12:16:26 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
Can I say it? King! King! King!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jCq6HjIJGw

Bernard King has been re-born, in Jeff Green's body, this November of 2013 for the Celtics  ;D