Author Topic: If Rondo becomes Stockton & Green becomes King, can we win?  (Read 19222 times)

If Rondo becomes Stockton & Green becomes King, can we win?
« on: September 18, 2013, 01:22:10 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Ok, this is an ultimate what-if scenario.

If Rondo takes his current game and incorporates all of John Stockton's moves like continually setting picks & hitting a bunch of outside jumpers; while at the same time, Green becomes like Bernard King, a virtually unstoppable scoring forward, who can hit his shots from nearly anywhere on the court, does that get us a title, provided that the other role players handle their assignments well?

Re: If Rondo becomes Stockton & Green becomes King, can we win?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 01:44:16 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Neither Stockton nor King ever won a title.

This hypothetical doesn't appear at all worthwhile.  Rondo and Green are very different players from Stockton and King.  So really the hypothetical is: if Rondo and Green improve, do we have a better shot at a ring?  The answer seems kind of obvious, no?

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 01:50:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Why stop there?

If we're transforming our players into Hall of Famers with vaguely similar attributes, why not turn Rondo into Stockton, Bradley into Dumars, Green into Bernard King, Sullinger into Moses Malone, and Olynyk into Dirk?

Then we'd definitely be in for a run of multiple championships!
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 02:07:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

This hypothetical doesn't appear at all worthwhile.  Rondo and Green are very different players from Stockton and King.  So really the hypothetical is: if Rondo and Green improve, do we have a better shot at a ring?  The answer seems kind of obvious, no?

Agreed.

Also, the Green-King comparison is laughable. Very different players.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Why not just turn Green into Bird and leave Rondo as is, done!

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 06:08:35 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
Well, here's the thing ... Green doesn't have Bird's passing ability and thus, no comparison there.

He does, however, have quickness and the crafty ability to get to the right spots, for high percentage shots. And that's where the King comparison comes in, King was a high percentage, crafty scorer, before he tore up the ACL and never came back to form again.

As for Stockton, well, he's got the consistent outside shot which Rondo lacks, to complement his assists total. Plus, he's always setting picks, which keeps defenses working. These are all areas which Rondo can pick up on.

With the above stated, adding a few role players, like a Tony Allen-esque wing defender, Perkins-like enforcer down low, inside-out versatile guy like a J Posey, I believe, gets us into a form where we can contend.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 06:13:37 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum

Well, if Ostertag is your center and your only go-to move is a pick & pop with Malone, or a dish out to Hornacek for a 3, then it's no wonder that they didn't stand a chance against the Bulls.

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 06:23:34 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Why stop there?

If we're transforming our players into Hall of Famers with vaguely similar attributes, why not turn Rondo into Stockton, Bradley into Dumars, Green into Bernard King, Sullinger into Moses Malone, and Olynyk into Dirk?

Then we'd definitely be in for a run of multiple championships!

This sounds great ... but I'm still stuck on the fact that I just don't see Green as all that similar to King and other than being great, innovative pass-first PGs, Rondo isn't all that much like Stockton.

I think it would be easier to shove them into the magical HoF-prototyper-machine and spit out:

Rondo -> The Glove
Bradley -> Dumars
Green -> Worthy
Olynyk -> Dirk (with a touch of McHale)
Sullinger -> Unseld

;D

Ahh ... to dream sweet dreams during the lulls of summer ...
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 06:44:42 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think we'd make a good run until we got taken down by Fab Melo as Hakeem Olajuwon.

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »

Online Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Well, here's the thing ... Green doesn't have Bird's passing ability and thus, no comparison there.
Why leave at passing?

There is also dribbling, rebounding, shooting, team defense, and trash talking to consider.

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 06:49:40 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
Green -> Worthy

The only problem with Worthy was that his go-to Tomahawk jam, was the flashy decoy move, when defenders would anticipate Kareem's Sky Hook, and thus, him receiving that back cutter pass for the jam, was his main weapon of choice.

I believe that Green could make that his 2nd weapon of choice, the first, beating his man off the dribble. That would make Green the most versatile scorer for the Celtics, as he'd inspire routine double teams.

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 06:54:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think we'd make a good run until we got taken down by Fab Melo as Hakeem Olajuwon.

;D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 07:31:07 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 08:31:15 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Let's turn Bradley into Ray Allen, Jeff Green into Paul Pierce and KO into KG. I bet we cruise to the 2008 NBA championship.

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 09:15:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

He does, however, have quickness and the crafty ability to get to the right spots, for high percentage shots. And that's where the King comparison comes in, King was a high percentage, crafty scorer, before he tore up the ACL and never came back to form again.

As for Stockton, well, he's got the consistent outside shot which Rondo lacks, to complement his assists total. Plus, he's always setting picks, which keeps defenses working. These are all areas which Rondo can pick up on.

Rondo's pretty good at setting picks. He doesn't have Stockton's outside shot but he's better at the rim. Stockton was a more efficient scorer but didn't really score much more than Rondo overall. Rondo's clearly the better rebounder though.