Author Topic: Our young front line - with a dominant center  (Read 6938 times)

Re: Our young front line - with a dominant center
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 12:51:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Although having a 'dominant' center would be swell, I don't think one is necessary to get back into contention.  I think we could do very well with a defensive-minded center that can
- protect the rim without being a foul machine
- provide a solid 9 rebounds per game with starter's minutes.
- Enough size and skill to guard the opposing center 1 on 1 with little help required.
- Has good hands that can catch passes from Rondo deep in the paint or lobs
- Can reliably put the ball in the basket from within 7 feet of the bucket with a very low rejection rate

Nothing earthshattering but a decent center.  A Joakim Noah or Side-Show Bob type would do wonders for this team.

With that said, I do think that Sully and KO have to develop into very solid offensive players to support a lack of offensive production from the center spot and we definitely need a serious offensive threat at the SG spot (which we sorely lack right now)

Agreed.

I think we're a defensive 5 and offensive 2 away from having a strong team again. I think Omer Asik is a realistic target and I can see Danny pursuing.

I hope Danny does.

Outside of free throw shoting, he does what this team needed for the past 3 years. Size and strenght, rebounds and finishes well all without commanding a ton of touches and is happy with it.

TBH id trade Sully for him right now.
While I'd like Asik, I'd prefer to unload some combo of Bass, KH, Wallace, Lee, Brooks, Crawford. 
Houston is in "win now" mode so hopefully a solid vet would be preferable for them.

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 01:38:35 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I think it would take at least a package of Rondo, Sullinger or Olynyk, and picks to get either Cousins or Drummond here.  Even then I'm not sure Detroit or Sacramento would bite.  In my opinion, if Dumars were willing to give up Monroe or Drummond for Rondo, the trade would have already gone down.

Picking up a center in the draft seems more reasonable.  However, I think there's a very good chance we nab a top 5 pick, which would be too high to take Embiid, Austin etc.  Also, Embiid is about as raw as prospects come.  Rondo will be on the wrong side of 30 by the time Embiid is an impact player.

I agree that Embiid is raw in that he has such limited basketball experience, but barring a sub par season at Kansas,  top 5 is not outside the realm of possibility. I think the current discussion is sleeping on the fact that Jabari Parker is very likely to not come out this year.

So assuming he doesn't. The top 4 is looking like Wiggins, Randle, Exum (assuming he declares) and Marcus Smart. After them is when you start seeing tier 2 players such as Gary Harris, Andrew Harrison, Glenn Robinson III,  Wayne Seldin, Dario Saric, Hezonja and of those, there is no one I would rather take than Embiid especially given our depth at guard.

Could he take time to develop? Sure, but what is the alternative? Are any of the players I just mentioned going to start over Bradley, Rondo or Green? Meanwhile Embiid has a legitimate chance to develop into a starter quality true center on a rookie scale contract. We could still sign Gortat for instance and wait for Embiid to develop. But at the end of the day in Danny I trust. If he likes one of the other player you'll hear no gripe from me.

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 02:03:31 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Asik or Gortat / Faverani / Embild
Sully / Olynyk / Iverson (just love this kid)

If you put Gortat and Olynyk on the court with Rondo that would be a nightmare to try and defend. Gortat is great in the pick and roll and Olynyk is a good shooter from distance.

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 09:19:47 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
NBA teams haven't needed a 'dominant center' to win the title in years.  A very good power forward plus a superstar plus good supporting cast seems to get the job done.

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 11:21:17 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I have this fantasy that Hasheem Thabeet will play for Brad Stevens, and Stevens will get the most out of what he can do like he does with his Butler players.

Thabeet has the size, length and the defensive instinct. If he can rebound consistently and be a presence down low defensively, he'll do wonders.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 12:11:43 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Although having a 'dominant' center would be swell, I don't think one is necessary to get back into contention.  I think we could do very well with a defensive-minded center that can
- protect the rim without being a foul machine
- provide a solid 9 rebounds per game with starter's minutes.
- Enough size and skill to guard the opposing center 1 on 1 with little help required.
- Has good hands that can catch passes from Rondo deep in the paint or lobs
- Can reliably put the ball in the basket from within 7 feet of the bucket with a very low rejection rate

Nothing earthshattering but a decent center.  A Joakim Noah or Side-Show Bob type would do wonders for this team.

With that said, I do think that Sully and KO have to develop into very solid offensive players to support a lack of offensive production from the center spot and we definitely need a serious offensive threat at the SG spot (which we sorely lack right now)

Agreed.

I think we're a defensive 5 and offensive 2 away from having a strong team again. I think Omer Asik is a realistic target and I can see Danny pursuing.

I agree with the defensive 5 part. Sullynyk + a legit anchor on D looks real good.

I'd like to see what the offense looks like with Brad Stevens, Olynyk and co. first. Judging AB based on his past season is a bit hasty.

Without knowing what the offense looks like, I'd say we may anywhere between just being one role player wing away (for a 3 guard rotation) or needing a starting caliber 2 guard that allows AB to play only 20-25 mins a game if we had a center.