Author Topic: Our young front line - with a dominant center  (Read 6937 times)

Our young front line - with a dominant center
« on: September 17, 2013, 12:15:25 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
First question:

If we added a dominant center to the team, do you think we're a contender in a few years?

By dominant I mean, either:

A) A current NBA player such as DeMarcus Cousins or Andre Drummond

B) a top draft pick such as Cauley-Stein or Embild, who are projected to be very good to dominant...

Hypothetical lineup:

Cousins, Drummond, Embild or Stein / Faverani / Iverson
Sullinger / Olynyk
Jeff Green / Draft pick (Jersey's this year?)
Bradley / Brooks
Rondo / Pressey

Second Question:

If yes, what would be your strategy to get one of those players to Boston?

A) Package Rondo, Green and future draft picks, etc, for Cousins or Drummond, if that was an option? Then draft the best available point guard or get a decent point guard in return?

B) Play our young guys all year, go to the lottery, maybe take Stein or Embild with the 4th to 8th pick?

I ask because I would argue that a front court of:

Cousins or Drummond / Faverani / Iverson
Sullinger / Olynyk
Jeff Green / solid back up

Woudl just need a lights out off guard shooter and a "solid" point guard to be a contender within a few seasons.

Now, if you could get that center through the draft and keep Rondo, even better.

I think we are one key draft pick and one key move away from being right back in contention again.

Thoughts?

Re: Our young front line - with a dominant center
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 12:38:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Although having a 'dominant' center would be swell, I don't think one is necessary to get back into contention.  I think we could do very well with a defensive-minded center that can
- protect the rim without being a foul machine
- provide a solid 9 rebounds per game with starter's minutes.
- Enough size and skill to guard the opposing center 1 on 1 with little help required.
- Has good hands that can catch passes from Rondo deep in the paint or lobs
- Can reliably put the ball in the basket from within 7 feet of the bucket with a very low rejection rate

Nothing earthshattering but a decent center.  A Joakim Noah or Side-Show Bob type would do wonders for this team.

With that said, I do think that Sully and KO have to develop into very solid offensive players to support a lack of offensive production from the center spot and we definitely need a serious offensive threat at the SG spot (which we sorely lack right now)

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 02:31:45 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Although having a 'dominant' center would be swell, I don't think one is necessary to get back into contention.  I think we could do very well with a defensive-minded center that can
- Enough size and skill to guard the opposing center 1 on 1 with little help required.
- Can reliably put the ball in the basket from within 7 feet of the bucket with a very low rejection rate

Nothing earthshattering but a decent center.  A Joakim Noah or Side-Show Bob type would do wonders for this team.

With that said, I do think that Sully and KO have to develop into very solid offensive players to support a lack of offensive production from the center spot and we definitely need a serious offensive threat at the SG spot (which we sorely lack right now)

Of course its difficult to project African born center prospects but something about watching Joel Embiid makes me think he could fit this criteria. It might take him some time to adjust to the NBA but he has a tremendous physical profile and an emerging skillset.

Most people will be watching Kansas for Wiggins but Embiid is a more realistic target to suit up in green than Air Canada.

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:03:50 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Truly, it was amazing what this team did when it had a center with hands, but then again, the only time we've had that in recent memory is when Shaq was healthy, and one could argue for Wilcox.  We could count KG, but he played outside so, so often.  The lobs for dunks in all three cases were great to watch go down.

Big guys need hands on this team.  More than jumpers, if I had to choose.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:12:15 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Agreed that just a good solid, defensive and rebounding center might also be enough.

I find the Embild kid intriguing as well. As you mentioned, he appears to have the physical profile to be a good defensive center. If Sully, Olynyk and Green pan out as solid offensive options - adding a good solid center and a real shooter at the two spot and this team could be off and running quicker than we think.

One good draft pick
One key addition at center   

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 03:52:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
List of dominant centers in the NBA:

Tim Duncan
Dwight Howard
Roy Hibbert-if-hes-playing-the-Heat

So, sure.

If by "dominant center" you mean "a high quality All-Star caliber defensive center" -- such as Joakim Noah, Roy Hibbert-against-every-other-team, Larry Sanders, Tyson Chandler, Andrew Bogut-if-hes-healthy, or even Omer Asik -- then I think our team could challenge for a 4th or 5th seed and maybe have a shot at winning a playoff series.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 04:04:33 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
We just need a Center who can defend, rebound and finishes well. Anything else they can do positive outside of that is icing on top.

A healthy Bogut. (FA next year)
Asik.
Gortat. (FA next year)
Varejao.

Along with Rondo and Green, any of those four will give us a solid, relatively young core who can compete for the next 5 years. Of course we need to build the rest of the team but starting with a core like that is headed for the right direction.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 04:07:58 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
One of the many depends questions.
Can KO be a outside all around skilled "center", give him an offensive game like McHale and put a big body down low like sully (or humphries) and add a guy like green.  To me if KO can develop a good nba offensive game then that is a nice front line.  We would be a top notch sg away from a very good team.
If KO can't turn into that outside game center then he would be a pf and the log jam continues!  sully, bass, wallace, ko, humphries too many guys and not enough minutes.  Still think ainge has a trade or 2 to tweak the team.  KO has shown good passing ability with the ability to hit the outside shot that creates lanes.  Rondo with lane space is  ::) .  I love green on the post against just about every sf in the league.  Wait and see season

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 04:10:31 PM »

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I have long dreamed of Marc Gasol to find his way over to Boston. I don't think Memphis will ever let him out of their sight (hurting his chances at a ring), but I could just imagine Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sullinger and Gasol being such a dominant balanced basketball team, much like Indiana with Hibbert.

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I think it would take at least a package of Rondo, Sullinger or Olynyk, and picks to get either Cousins or Drummond here.  Even then I'm not sure Detroit or Sacramento would bite.  In my opinion, if Dumars were willing to give up Monroe or Drummond for Rondo, the trade would have already gone down.

Picking up a center in the draft seems more reasonable.  However, I think there's a very good chance we nab a top 5 pick, which would be too high to take Embiid, Austin etc.  Also, Embiid is about as raw as prospects come.  Rondo will be on the wrong side of 30 by the time Embiid is an impact player.

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 05:04:55 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Agreed.

I think we're a defensive 5 and offensive 2 away from having a strong team again. I think Omer Asik is a realistic target and I can see Danny pursuing.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 05:43:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
We just need a Center who can defend, rebound and finishes well. Anything else they can do positive outside of that is icing on top.

A healthy Bogut. (FA next year)
Asik.
Gortat. (FA next year)
Varejao.

Along with Rondo and Green, any of those four will give us a solid, relatively young core who can compete for the next 5 years. Of course we need to build the rest of the team but starting with a core like that is headed for the right direction.

Should we go back in time and draft dieng instead of olynyk??

You dont need a top tier defensive center to have a great team. It helps no doubt. But not mandatory. Sully and olynyk will get the job done on both ends. Lets at least give them a chance

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 06:30:04 AM »

Offline BirdMchaleParish

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
 I think that if we added a dominant player at any position except Rondo you could make the line up look good enough to win in the first round of the playoffs. That being said I don't think any of those centers make us a true title contender. We are probably two players away for that. I think the lottery will depend upon Rondo more than anything so we probably will get a high pick. The burden will be on Ainge to select a player who lives up to his hype.

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 07:22:04 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I am one who leans more towards the need for a top 10 big man to pair with Rondo- if we are talking about a true contender for a championship.

But for a rebuild project like ours I don't mind pairing him with a project big with athleticism and size. I think DeAndre Jordan would've been perfect to pair with Rondo. He's a classic example of a guy who needs starters minutes and easy buckets under the rim to look better than he is. We could have made him a very good trade asset if he'd played a season or two with Rondo.
Blake Griffin takes away too much from DeAndre's chance to learn and thrive as the soul big man- ie a poor mans D Howard.

Rondo makes any center look good (see how over rated Perkins became after playing with Rondo and KG? And he's just had a record low for PER in a finals series only 2 seasons later- he's a chump).

I consider KG a top 10 big man and it was his ability to stretch the floor that increased Rondo's productivity and effectiveness.
A pick and pop big man who can defend and rebound with the occasional post move is what we'd need- but any big man that can do those things well is automatically a top 10 center.

Whoever plays with Rondo is going to be lucky because his passing around the rim is the best in the NBA- all you have to do is finish and hit 60% from the line.

Someone mentioned Asik and he'd be a good candidate to play with Rondo and then move him on as part of a trade for a star or higher pick. He's a rich mans Perkins.

Ultimately you need a center that will go after offensive rebounds and tries to score at least 15 ppg with Rondo. We need that offense if our point guard isn't a natural scorer.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 11:38:44 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Agreed.

I think we're a defensive 5 and offensive 2 away from having a strong team again. I think Omer Asik is a realistic target and I can see Danny pursuing.

I hope Danny does.

Outside of free throw shoting, he does what this team needed for the past 3 years. Size and strenght, rebounds and finishes well all without commanding a ton of touches and is happy with it.

TBH id trade Sully for him right now.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace