Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Western Semi Finals: Minnesota(1) vs Golden State(5)  (Read 26957 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Minnesota Timberwolves vs Golden State Warriors

Minnesota
Guards: Monta Ellis, Avery Bradley, C.J. Miles, Kyle Korver, Mario Chalmers, Jordan Farmar
Forwards: Lebron James, Serge Ibaka, Shane Battier, Glen Davis, Jae Crowder
Centers: DeAndre Jordan, Greg Stiemsma
Coach: Nate McMillen

Presser: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=67440.msg1546544#msg1546544

Golden State
Guards: Rajon Rondo, Lou Williams, Brandon Rush, Reggie Jackson, DeMar DeRozan
Forwards: LaMarcus Aldridge, Andrea Bargnani, Draymond Green, Anthony Tolliver, Jason Thompson,
Centers: Roy Hibbert, Ekpe Udoh, Festus Ezeli
Coach: Monty Williams

Presser: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=67438.msg1546028#msg1546028

Polls open at 12 noon EST Sept. 10th. Close 11:59:59PM  Sept. 10th. Here are the voting guidelines for this round:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=67476.msg1548554#msg1548554
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:30:55 AM by nickagneta »

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Western Semi Finals: Minnesota(1) vs Golden State(5)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 12:31:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Thread open

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 12:32:21 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
This is a good'un. Rondo vs. LeBron.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 12:35:25 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I have no evidence to support this, but I feel like Draymond Green might do a halfway decent job vs. LeBron.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 12:36:57 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
TWolves, not close. Have the frontcourt to match gsw and Bradley to dog Rondo. GSW has no one to bother Lebron.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 01:01:09 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
TWolves, not close. Have the frontcourt to match gsw and Bradley to dog Rondo. GSW has no one to bother Lebron.

Are you making a really good joke about not seeing the 7'2" center right in front of you?

Hibbert deterred Lebron more than any other single player in the playoffs.

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 01:16:45 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

Are you making a really good joke about not seeing the 7'2" center right in front of you?

Hibbert deterred Lebron more than any other single player in the playoffs.

Deterred him to 29 ppg on 51 percent shooting? Are you making a really good Princess Bride reference about words not meaning what you think they mean and I interrupted? Because if so, my bad.

FWIW, LeBron averaged his most ppg against Indy and shot his second best of the playoffs ( behind the 62% he shot versus the Bucks.) against the vaunted rim warrior.

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 01:45:50 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
James is an entirely different player with Hibbert in the game, to the unfathomable extent that James adds a weird-looking new shot to his arsenal -- the teardrop -- almost exclusively for use over the massive Hibbert. It's such a rare move that James' first attempt in Wednesday's game -- a miss -- was greeted by commentator Steve Kerr's observation, "That's not part of his game."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=truehoop&id=58603&src=desktop

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 01:47:52 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
James is an entirely different player with Hibbert in the game, to the unfathomable extent that James adds a weird-looking new shot to his arsenal -- the teardrop -- almost exclusively for use over the massive Hibbert. It's such a rare move that James' first attempt in Wednesday's game -- a miss -- was greeted by commentator Steve Kerr's observation, "That's not part of his game."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=truehoop&id=58603&src=desktop

An entirely different player in that he shot better and scored more than he had the previous series.

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 01:55:16 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
James has made
nine floaters over Hibbert over the last year (dating back to the 2012 playoffs). It's tough to find evidence he has attempted more than a couple against the rest of the league combined.

Hibbert alters James shots more then anyone else in the world. Hibbert is a beast.

Over the past year combined -- the 2012 playoffs, 2012-13 regular season, and Game 1 of this series -- James has taken 210 shots against the Pacers and made 106. I just watched them all. A grand total of four of the makes -- three in last year's playoffs and the one in the photo above from Game 1 -- came from James taking on Hibbert directly at the rim. There are James scores near Hibbert, for instance by sneaking in behind him, or one oddball hook shot moving away from the hoop. But only four when James identified Hibbert on duty and proceeded to attempt a layup or dunk.

Hibbert deters him so much he often kicks it out but there isn't a lot of quality shooting out there for minny to space the floor.

Meanwhile, James spends a lot of time driving close to Hibbert and then dishing (no small part of Chris Andersen's big Game 1) or pulling up from midrange, where LeBron is much-improved, but nothing like as effective. There was also one entire game -- the Heat's win over Indiana in the middle of their 27-game win streak -- when James drove just twice all game against a set defense of any kind.

This reticence has an effect. This season LeBron scored fewer points per game in the paint against Indiana than against any other team, according to the NBA's advanced stats website. Not surprisingly, with those high-percentage attempts down, James' shooting percentages are well below average against the Pacers compared to other teams.

The fact that hibbert anchors my defense is big in defending James. I will not ask one guy to shut down James. Team defense will defend Lebron with superior interior play and rim protection.

This shadowboxing between James and Hibbert has been playing out for at least a year, and matters. It's at the heart of a blossoming Pacers-Heat rivalry, and it could easily determine who'll win the East.

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 01:58:53 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!

An entirely different player in that he shot better and scored more than he had the previous series.

Last I checked monta ain't d wade. Ibaka isn't bosh and Lebron is playing a ton of SF. Also I will never have a big guard James. Rush, derozan, Tolliver, or green will. Rondo will even pick up full if Lebron brings it up.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 02:04:50 AM by Kane3387 »

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 02:09:58 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
LA will help deter James inside as well.

Via Hollenger

Meanwhile, Aldridge is a vastly underrated defensive player. He doesn't put up huge block or steal totals, but his length and mobility make him a good pick-and-roll and low-post defender. He has also developed a very good strip move against opposing post players. Synergy rated him among the league's top power forwards last season, and the Blazers gave up 7.8 fewer points per 100 possessions with him on the court.

Aldridge ranks No. 5 on a chart of field goal percentage allowed when he is within five feet of the basket, trailing only Indiana Pacers center Roy Hibbert, Milwaukee Bucks center Larry Sanders, Dallas Mavericks forward Elton Brand and Oklahoma City Thunder forward Serge Ibaka. The data was culled from 75,000 field goal attempts taken during the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons using video tracking data.

http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/3/4/4064060/study-blazers-f-lamarcus-aldridge-among-nbas-best-post-defenders

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 02:28:30 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Intensity!!!
I like my team in this series and think it matches up well. I have a lot of size on the perimeter and on the wing. I have a leader who has actually outplayed LeBron before in a 7 game series. Rondo always brings it against a Lebron James team.

LeBron will occasionally see double teams and team defense will be the strategy in defeating him. I don't think I can shut him down, but I want to make life hard for him.

He will be unable to rest on defense too. I can see where people might say out him on Rush and let him chill. If he does that then I think it can hurt his help defense b/c if he leaves Rush open in the corner, Rush can knock it down.

His greatest strengths are his defense and 3-point shooting.  For his career he is a 41.3% 3-point shooter and also shoots 44% from the field and 72% from the line.  He was the only player in the NBA 2011-12 season to shoot over 50% from the field and 45% from 3′s.

If Minny decides to go small then he's banging with Big Roy or LA. Neither of them will ever be asked to defend them. I will have LA play off Avery more. Or Battier. I would rather them have the ball anyways then James.

I think my size and interior defense are big in this series. The lack of spacing will hurt Minnesota. I think Monta is a little too small to defend Derozan. I also think Rondo knows Avery better then anyone and after seeing him in practice everyday will know how to offensively produce against him. I will be running alot of screen at Avery as well and pressuring him if he brings the ball up.

I don;t see how Minny doesn't make Lebron run point. Avery can't. That's full court all day. Monta shouldn't. That's just dumb.

To ask Lebron to be the point guard, and guard LA or Hibbert, sometimes guard Derozan or Rondo, and facilitate and create for inept scorers like AB, Ibaka, and DJ is A TON to ask.

I saw Indiana take Lebron to 7. He had D Wade and Chris Bosh. Now he has Monta Ellis and Deandre Jordan.

My team is very similar to Indiana's team.

Rondo is the Paul George. A young All-Star capable of impacting the game at a high level. In fact Rondo is better then George and impacts the game at a higher level with the way he controls pace.

Hibbert is Hibbert.

Derozan is of the caliber of a George Hill. They're on the same tier IMO. His size, athleticism,  and length will cause issues for the smaller Minnesota guards.

Rush is like Lance Stephenson but a much better shooter.

LA is better then David West.

My bench is much better then Real life Indiana's too.

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 02:37:33 AM »

fitzhickey

I wouldn't EVER underestimate Lebron

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 02:43:13 AM »

fitzhickey

I have no evidence to support this, but I feel like Draymond Green might do a halfway decent job vs. LeBron.
Green can guard like every position out there
I think he could play nearly as well as anyone on lebron