Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Western First Round: Dallas(3) vs Houston(6)  (Read 8156 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Western First Round: Dallas(3) vs Houston(6)
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 12:42:37 AM »

fitzhickey

Goran Dragic and James Harden should be fine together IMO. Neither are pass first players, but a combo of Dragic/Harden/Batum should be pretty good at facilitating for the unit as a whole.
I would classify Dragic a pass first player
that might just be me though

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 12:46:26 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Goran Dragic and James Harden should be fine together IMO. Neither are pass first players, but a combo of Dragic/Harden/Batum should be pretty good at facilitating for the unit as a whole.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/pg/sort/assistRatio

This is a good look. Dragic is about as 'pass first' as Teague.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 01:23:33 AM »

fitzhickey

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/pg/sort/assistRatio

would you say Earl Watson is more of a 'pass first' player than Rondo or Calderon?
or Jeremy Lin more so than Parker, Lawson or Conley?

these are genuine questions as Rondo, Parker and Conley are the only guys i watch regularly

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 01:48:20 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

would you say Earl Watson is more of a 'pass first' player than Rondo or Calderon?
or Jeremy Lin more so than Parker, Lawson or Conley?

these are genuine questions as Rondo, Parker and Conley are the only guys i watch regularly

For Earl Watson , that's an outlier. He gets such limited playing time, and is so bad at this point, that he does what he can, and basically his assist ratio numbers are just the only place he impacts the game, aside from being terrible.

Jeremy Lin, yes to both. Parker's lack of passing is mitigated by Duncan's and Manu's, while Gasol is a big facilitator in Memphis.

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 01:53:05 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Actually on Lin, it is more complicated than that. He had a kind of mental brain fart in Houston last year that led to him deferring more than he had to. He lost faith in himself, and so did the coaching staff.

It led to some weird results.  Harden took on probably too big a role as a scorer, and to the detriment of the rest of his game (statistically). Patrick Beverley got a chance to show he's an impact player.

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 06:29:16 AM »

fitzhickey

I just don't think Harden and Dragic can function
Harden is a ball dominant player, and Dragic, a guy who averaged 7.4 assists on Phoenix, is a pass first point. Dragic wouldn't be useful as a spot up shooter, coming off a season where he shot .319% from deep on his most attempts per game of his career. Harden is the only offensive weapon on this team, where as I have Al, Gordon, Smith, Deng and a 3pt assassin in Nash.
This team doesn't have an answer for all of these players on the defensive end. Batum and Dragic are the only above average defenders on this team, and they happen to be defending my 4th and 5th options in the starting line-up.

Dallas would win this series, and I think they should

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 10:49:06 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
PG: Dragic > Nash
SG: Harden > E.Gordon
SF: Batum = Deng
PF: Faried < J.Smith
 C: Gortat < Big Al (unsure on this one)

Goran Dragic is far too quick for Steve Nash. No way Nash can keep up with him.

I like Deng more than Batum as an individual player largely due to Deng's superior man-to-man defense but in a head-to-head matchup, I don't think Deng has an advantage over Batum. I think they'll play each other even.

PG: B.Knight vs W.Bynum (undecided)
SG: G.Neal = J.Terry
SF: R.Bullock < T.Prince
PF: T.Hansbrough = B.Diaw
 C: C.Kaman > N.Mohammed

Coach: Kevin McHale vs Brian Shaw = Two young coaches learning their trade. Not seeing an advantage for either team here.

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 10:54:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don't believe this, personally.  Nash is simply a vastly superior floor general and shooter.  I think it's possible that Dragic could outscore Nash (it would be close), but Nash is just a lot better at spreading the floor and directing an offense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 10:59:26 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I don't believe this, personally.  Nash is simply a vastly superior floor general and shooter.  I think it's possible that Dragic could outscore Nash (it would be close), but Nash is just a lot better at spreading the floor and directing an offense.

Nash is just too old and his defense is too bad. Nash can't keep up with PGs with strong levels of explosive quickness. He is going to get cooked against someone like Dragic.

Against a Jose Calderon or a Jameer Nelson, Nash can handle himself.

Not against a Dragic. Not against a Jeff Teague. They are just too quick and dangerous on the ball for Nash to defend adequately. 

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 11:05:15 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Nash is just too old and his defense is too bad. Nash can't keep up with PGs with strong levels of explosive quickness. He is going to get cooked against someone like Dragic.

But where is the evidence of that over the course of their careers?  Why hasn't Dragic burned him head to head?

Nash and Dragic matched up three times last year.  Nash held Dragic to 10.0 points per game in about 34 minutes per contest.  Dragic shot 37.5 percent, and averaged 3.7 turnovers.

That's not the story of a guy who can routinely burn Nash, in my mind.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 03:55:59 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i voted....DAL

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 04:19:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Think I am leaning the Rockets direction on this one