Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Western First Round: Oklahoma City(2) vs San Antonio(7)  (Read 109797 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Western First Round: Oklahoma City(2) vs San Antonio(7)
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I wonder if SA will simply punt on trying to match up against Howard: go small, spread the floor as much as possible, and live and die by the three. I'll be curious to hear from Dubs.

At this point in his career Howard is scoring 17 points a game, we'll likely concede that. The Thunder aren't changing their line-up to deal with Danny Granger.
He'll score much much much more when a player not named McGee has to cover him. And I don't think McGee will be particularly effective, he's just better than the alternatives.

Like Howard's 7 point game elimination game against Aron Baynes bad? Or worse than that?

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 07:07:49 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Pick your poison, Lucky and then drink to avoid having to watch Love follow up his 38 and 24 game with a 36, 21 and 6 three pointer Game 2.

Are we using a randomizer for those numbers? Why not just say that Love will average eleventy points and forty-five rebounds in his first ever playoff series?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 07:11:25 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I wonder if SA will simply punt on trying to match up against Howard: go small, spread the floor as much as possible, and live and die by the three. I'll be curious to hear from Dubs.

At this point in his career Howard is scoring 17 points a game, we'll likely concede that. The Thunder aren't changing their line-up to deal with Danny Granger.
He'll score much much much more when a player not named McGee has to cover him. And I don't think McGee will be particularly effective, he's just better than the alternatives.

Like Howard's 7 point game elimination game against Aron Baynes bad? Or worse than that?

That one certainly did skew his playoff averages last season. In Games One, Two, and Three, Dwight led the Lakers in scoring every game.

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 07:15:52 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
So how does Chase Budinger keep Granger in check? His defense has been weak enough to keep him from becoming a full-time NBA starter, and he rates poorly both in isolation and against spot ups, which is exactly how Granger is going to work him.

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie

That one certainly did skew his playoff averages last season. In Games One, Two, and Three, Dwight led the Lakers in scoring every game.

In three games the Lakers lost by a combined 54 points. I'll let Dwight get his 16-25 if that's the end result.

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 07:18:49 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
In the playoffs last season:

Taj Gibson 6.5 points and 3.0 rebounds
Udonis Haslem 5.0 points and 3.6 rebounds

Pick your poison, Lucky and then drink to avoid having to watch Love follow up his 38 and 24 game with a 36, 21 and 6 three pointer Game 2.

Are we using a randomizer for those numbers? Why not just say that Love will average eleventy points and forty-five rebounds in his first ever playoff series?

http://www.roll-dice-online.com

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 07:20:56 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513

The dice never lies. I'm going Spurs on this one.

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 07:22:11 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
So how does Chase Budinger keep Granger in check? His defense has been weak enough to keep him from becoming a full-time NBA starter, and he rates poorly both in isolation and against spot ups, which is exactly how Granger is going to work him.

I don't believe you're going to make Kevin Love give the ball up so Danny Granger can hoist jumpers. Granger hasn't hit from 40% on two-point FGs from any spot on the floor outside of the key since 2009.

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Danny%20Granger

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 07:24:24 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie

I don't believe you're going to make Kevin Love give the ball up so Danny Granger can hoist jumpers. Granger hasn't hit from 40% on two-point FGs from any spot on the floor outside of the key since 2009.

Funny 2009 is also when Dwight Howard peaked.

2013: 17.1 PPG, 12.4 RPG, 58% FG, 49% FT, 187 dunks, 19.4 PER (36th)

Swept in the first round of the playoffs.

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 07:27:20 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie

The dice never lies. I'm going Spurs on this one.

CB Spurs shout out DKC Spurs.

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2013, 07:40:36 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Howard's still won two rebounding titles since 2009. What's Granger done?

More importantly, what are the Spurs going to do about Derrick Rose, whose career playoff averages are 25 points, 7.3 assists, and nearly 5 boards a game?

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2013, 07:40:47 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Is Iman Shumpert and Andre Iguodala a neutral matchup at SG?

Edit: Playmaking I suppose. That is what separates the two. As a two guard, matched up head to head, they both seem quite similar as jump-shooters + shot creators + scorers. They are both top notch defensive players (one-on-one and help defense sequences). Both seem to create possessions at a very healthy clip for a SG. Shumpert gives secondary ball-handling. But not the passing / playmaking of Iguodala. The difference. Surprisingly close matchup.

I'm a big Shump fan, but you have to forecast two leaps forward for Iman before the battle at the 2 can be considered a close match up.

While, Shumpert played a great series against Boston, it's still not clear he can consistently get his offense. 39.6 FG% on the year, 41.0 FG% in the playoffs. And there's a big difference between playing elite defense over the course of 12 playoffs games vs. the 82 game grind. Shump has already missed more games in his two year career than Iguodala has in nine.

per36:

13.4 PTS 45.1 FG% 31.7 3PT% 3.5 FTA 5.5 REB 1.8 STL 1.6 PF 13.4 PTS Iguodala
11.0 PTS 39.6 FG% 40.2 3PT% 1.7 FTA 3.8 REB 1.6 STL 3.6 PF 11.0 PTS Shumpert

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2013, 07:42:33 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie

Howard's still won two rebounding titles since 2009. What's Granger done?

More importantly, what are the Spurs going to do about Derrick Rose, whose career playoff averages are 25 points, 7.3 assists, and nearly 5 boards a game?

Rose was the player I was most worried about. But the Spurs are taking a page from the Thunder's playbook (See: Defense of Kevin Love*) and are checking him with Luke Ridnour and Toney Douglas. I'm as surprised as you are.

*Kevin Love has a rebounding title too.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:55:09 PM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2013, 07:48:49 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I'd laugh off the Ridnour gameplan, but I think he might actually have the second most career playoff appearances on the Spurs. Experience matters.

Edit: Granger has 22 to Rid's 18.

Edit 2: Wow, Thad Young has 30 appearances? Who knew? Your guys aren't all as green as Love is when it comes to the postseason, I guess.

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2013, 07:53:02 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie

So given Granger's mediocre shooting #s and Budinger's defense, in 23 games last season he ranked 387th against spot ups, 234th in isolation. Any chance OKC just plays man down on the defensive end to see if Granger can beat himself?

How optimistic are you about Landry Fields? 4.7 points, 45.7 FG%, 4.1 rebounds, vs Thaddeus Young? 14.8 points, 53.1 FG%, 7.5 rebounds.