Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Western First Round: Oklahoma City(2) vs San Antonio(7)  (Read 109785 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Western First Round: Oklahoma City(2) vs San Antonio(7)
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 08:51:26 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I wonder if SA will simply punt on trying to match up against Howard: go small, spread the floor as much as possible, and live and die by the three. I'll be curious to hear from Dubs.

At this point in his career Howard is scoring 17 points a game, we'll likely concede that. The Thunder aren't changing their line-up to deal with Danny Granger.
He'll score much much much more when a player not named McGee has to cover him. And I don't think McGee will be particularly effective, he's just better than the alternatives.

Against Howard McGee has had some serious foul issues, which is a disaster for SA. And I must say I don't think McGee is a smart enough player to adjust and play differently to stay on the court where his team needs him.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:07:05 AM by Fafnir »

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 11:31:10 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Is Iman Shumpert and Andre Iguodala a neutral matchup at SG?

Edit: Playmaking I suppose. That is what separates the two. As a two guard, matched up head to head, they both seem quite similar as jump-shooters + shot creators + scorers. They are both top notch defensive players (one-on-one and help defense sequences). Both seem to create possessions at a very healthy clip for a SG. Shumpert gives secondary ball-handling. But not the passing / playmaking of Iguodala. The difference. Surprisingly close matchup.

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 03:55:07 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
my vote is in....OKC

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 04:51:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Keep forgetting Kevin Love is on this team. 26ppg two years and 13-15rpg for three straight years. You would think he wouldn't be hard to remember.

Most overlooked star in the CB Draft?

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 04:54:21 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I think JaVale McGee would need to give San Antonio 30+mpg against Dwight Howard to give San Antonio a chance in this series. McGee came close to that against A.Bynum two years ago. Maybe it is possible. Then again, D.Howard owned him when ORL-WAS were playing against each other in the East.

I think Kevin Love will be the one who has to defend Dwight Howard when McGee goes to the bench (likely in foul trouble). I think SAS should go small with Thad Young. Force Dwight to stay on K-Love out on the perimeter. Taj Gibson can check T.Young at PF. That way both team's interior / team defenses are seriously comprised (rather than only SAS' defense).

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 04:59:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
What if SA went Iggy at the 1 and Thornton at the 2. Kemba as the spark off the bench
Iggy would be the best option for stopping rose IMO
Dwight poses a threat though

I think SAS should definitely put Iggy on Rose. Iggy is their best bet at containing him.

I think SAS can hide Kemba on Shumpert. No need to bench him. Shumpert hasn't proven he has the shot-creation skills or post game to punish the little guy.

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 05:22:07 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This might actually be the most lopsided series of them all, IMHO.  I just can't see how SAS is going to be able to generate nearly enough offense.  I'd give them maybe one home game...OKC in 5.

I guess I'll be in THE Walker Wiggle's book now  :-\

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 06:05:30 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I think JaVale McGee would need to give San Antonio 30+mpg against Dwight Howard to give San Antonio a chance in this series. McGee came close to that against A.Bynum two years ago. Maybe it is possible. Then again, D.Howard owned him when ORL-WAS were playing against each other in the East.

I think Kevin Love will be the one who has to defend Dwight Howard when McGee goes to the bench (likely in foul trouble). I think SAS should go small with Thad Young. Force Dwight to stay on K-Love out on the perimeter. Taj Gibson can check T.Young at PF. That way both team's interior / team defenses are seriously comprised (rather than only SAS' defense).

That's how I envision it is as well. McGee has a size and quickness advantage. At this point in their careers he's capable of bothering Howard defensively, and beating him to the other rim offensively, for three and half quarters before fouling out. When he's on the bench, Love, in a small lineup with Young, is capable of both holding Howard off the glass, and pulling him out of comfort zone defensively. He is going to struggle getting his shot off inside when matched up with Dwight, but San Antonio can partly offset that disadvantage by staying big at the 2 and 3 with Iguodala and Granger. Spurs will also throw Motiejunas out there in short stints as another three point threat.

Someone convince me Howard can even swing a playoff series anymore? Swept in the second round after putting up 17, 10 and 2, 4 TOs per, and the lowest +/- of his career.

Quote from: Simmons
Remember when Mike Tyson came out of prison and wasn't the same boxer anymore, even though he looked like the same guy? That's Dwight Howard since 2011's NBA lockout. He's not a force of nature anymore. The Eye Test backs it up, and so do the results: Howard dragged a 219-102 record from four half-decent Magic teams from 2008 to 2011, then went just 75-55 in these past two seasons once his body started breaking down. There's been a not-so-subtle dip in his offensive numbers …

2011: 22.9 PPG, 14.1 RPG, 59% FG, 60% FT, 227 dunks, 26.0 PER (second in NBA)
2013: 17.1 PPG, 12.4 RPG, 58% FG, 49% FT, 187 dunks, 19.4 PER (38th)

… and defensively, Dwight isn't the NBA's most impactful player anymore. You would rather have Marc Gasol or Joakim Noah, both of whom are just better at anchoring a defense. Throw in the undeniable injury risks, the maturity issues, and the words "not even a hint of any leadership whatsoever."

Love is going to dominate his match-up against Patrick Patterson by a wider margin, and lead either front court in both scoring and rebounding. Pat is the most overmatched player in this series not JaVale. He's got a nice midrange game, but not a lot more.

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 06:11:19 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
This might actually be the most lopsided series of them all, IMHO.  I just can't see how SAS is going to be able to generate nearly enough offense.  I'd give them maybe one home game...OKC in 5.

I guess I'll be in THE Walker Wiggle's book now  :-\

Because we know Mike Brown with his iso heavy offense is the coach to get the most out of Howard?

Kevin Love is going to lead both team's in scoring vs. OKC's grab bag of journeyman 4s. Danny Granger still has it over on Chase Budinger, who's also coming off a lost season, and who's checking Marcus Thornton off OKC's bench?

At least give me something I can work with.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:20:41 PM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 06:14:05 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I doubt Patterson sees much court time. We're going to go with Taj and Haslem at PF.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 06:24:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I would be comfortable with Taj Gibson on Thad Young but not with Udonis Haslem or Patrick Patterson. I think Landry Fields would be the best option at PF in that matchup if Taj Gibson is resting.

I like Haslem over Patterson as relief for T.Gibson on K-Love. Physical toughness.

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2013, 06:26:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Couldn't I have Taj pursue Love out on the perimeter, and let Dwight cheat off of the lesser threat in Thad Young? I'll certainly concede face up jumpers from Young (shooting 35% or less outside of 10 feet) if it takes shots away from Love.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2013, 06:27:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I think OKC has two major matchup advantages with D-Rose and D-Howard over Kemba and JaVale.

From there, I think SAS has the advantage 2-4 in the starting lineup (Iggy, Granger, K-Love) + two bench advantages (Ridnour + Thad Young vs Mahinmi at center for OKC) + a head coaching advantage.

I really like the pluses SAS has in this series but I am finding it hard to look past two superstars in such an advantageous situation. I am going to bet on the superstars in a long hard hard fought series. 

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 06:39:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Couldn't I have Taj pursue Love out on the perimeter, and let Dwight cheat off of the lesser threat in Thad Young? I'll certainly concede face up jumpers from Young (shooting 35% or less outside of 10 feet) if it takes shots away from Love.

I don't think so.

I believe Thad Young is too quick for Dwight Howard. He can beat Dwight off the dribble in dribble drives, in transition and on cuts in the halfcourt whenever Dwight looks to help out (which he will). Between the three, Thad Young will create numerous high percentage scoring opportunities for himself in addition to a few (wide open) forced jumpers.

Thad Young is an undersized quick four. His whole game is built around utilizing his quickness advantage offensively and defensively against bigger players. This fits his style of play perfectly. Too quick and too talented. Combined with Dwight's lack of experience in guarding such players and I think that would create more problems than it solves.

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 07:00:35 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
I would be comfortable with Taj Gibson on Thad Young but not with Udonis Haslem or Patrick Patterson. I think Landry Fields would be the best option at PF in that matchup if Taj Gibson is resting.

I like Haslem over Patterson as relief for T.Gibson on K-Love. Physical toughness.

In the playoffs last season:

Taj Gibson 6.5 points and 3.0 rebounds
Udonis Haslem 5.0 points and 3.6 rebounds

Pick your poison, Lucky and then drink to avoid having to watch Love follow up his 38 and 24 game with a 36, 21 and 6 three pointer Game 2.

Keep forgetting Kevin Love is on this team. 26ppg two years and 13-15rpg for three straight years. You would think he wouldn't be hard to remember.

Most overlooked star in the CB Draft?

Clearly true. Given that I've field multiple questions about JaVale McGee, but the general consensus is that a back up PF off any team in the league can keep Love in check.