Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Western First Round: Oklahoma City(2) vs San Antonio(7)  (Read 109777 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Oklahoma City Thunder vs San Antonio Spurs

Oklahoma City
Guards:  Derrick Rose, Iman Shumpert, Bem McLemore, Marco Belinelli, Eric Maynor, Dennis Schoeder, Ben Gordon
Forwards: Patrick Patterson, Taj Gibson, Udonis Haslem, Chase Budinger, Landry Fields
Centers: Dwight Howard, Iam Mahinmi
Coach: Mike Brown

Presser: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=67440.msg1546569#msg1546569

San Antonio
Guards: Andre Iguodala, Kemba Walker, Marcus Thornton, Luke Ridnour, Toney Douglas
Forwards: Kevin Love, Danny Granger, Thaddeus Young, Luigi Datome, Donatas Motiejunas, DeMarre Carroll
Centers:JaVale McGee, Cody Zeller
Coach: Rick Carlisle

Presser: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=67442.msg1547000#msg1547000

Polls open at 12 noon EST Sept. 9th. Close 11:59:59PM  Sept. 9th. Here are the voting guidelines for this round:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=67476.msg1547496#msg1547496
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:25:52 PM by nickagneta »

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Western First Round: Oklahoma City(2) vs San Antonio(7)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 06:31:03 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
if rose is rose and dh12 is dh12, then they are serious title contenders.  however, rose is concerning with the injury and long layoff.  dh12 has under achieved for 2 yrs, been injured, been a cancer for two separate organizations, and couldn't get along with another superstar (kobe).  why would this be different?

i favor OKC in this series, but i dont think OKC is a 2nd seed.

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 07:07:48 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
if rose is rose and dh12 is dh12, then they are serious title contenders.  however, rose is concerning with the injury and long layoff.  dh12 has under achieved for 2 yrs, been injured, been a cancer for two separate organizations, and couldn't get along with another superstar (kobe).  why would this be different?

Well, I feel as though I've addressed this already both publicly (in the press conference thread), and privately (in a direct PM to you).

But, I'll say once more: the dynamic between Rose and Howard should be infinitely more cooperative and positive than the one we saw last season in Los Angeles. Why? Several reasons:

1. Kobe has always been the kind of person who points the finger at others when his team has fallen short. [Just google "kobe blames teammates" for some choice cuts.] Rose shoulders the blame and looks for ways to improve.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/7517359/derrick-rose-blames-chicago-bulls-loss-miami-heat

"It was definitely tough," Rose said. "All I can say is I guess God [does] everything for a reason. I've been in those situations before, knocked them down, but to miss both [free throws] -- I let my team down. The only thing I can do is learn from it."

"Derrick's always been someone who's his [own] biggest critic," Bulls center Joakim Noah said. "He takes losses very hard. And he wouldn't be the competitor that he is if he wasn't like that. He knows that we have his back. We love him. And we know we wouldn't be in the position that we're in today if it wasn't for a guy like that. And he knows that. At the end of the day, we have each other's back. But we all feel down right now, it's not just him. Everybody could have done better."

In short, Howard's going to respect Rose a lot more than he did Kobe.

2. The success of OKC will derive in no small way from the combination of Rose and Dwight in the pick and roll, a cooperative endeavor that will see both mutually benefit. Instead of trying to find a way to get touches in Mike D'Antoni's "iso Kobe" offense, Dwight's going to get plenty of easy looks thanks to a teammate who actually likes to share the ball.

3. Kobe is a world-class tool. Everyone knows this, including another elite big man who was driven out of LA years ago.

I've got no qualms whatsoever about how Dwight Howard and Derrick Rose will get along.

i favor OKC in this series, but i dont think OKC is a 2nd seed.

Don't worry about seeds at this point. It's the playoffs. The only things that matter are how the teams match up, and maybe, who has home court advantage.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 07:17:59 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I lean towards OKC, but this is a 7 game series to me.

Rose is another one of those guys who gets possessed in the Playoffs. And with Dwight on board defending, they'll be too tough regardless of what Kevin Love does.

Danny Granger on the other may give some lift for SA.

My concern with OKC too is Mike Brown, and he might wear out Rose with his Iso ball technique.

But in the end, it cam to one name, JaVale McGee. Sorry but if he's matching up against Dwight, you're asking for trouble.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 07:22:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I am assuming based on the placement of the teams in the regular season that Rose and Howard came back strong and had big years and that possibly Love did but Granger didn't. Based on that, it might be the Thunder in 5 or 6 but a healthy Love could cause major problems for the Thunder with Iggy doing his thing.

Gotta think on this match up more and see what the GMs have to say. I also like Carlisle to out coach Brown at least once and win a close contest.

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 07:32:58 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I wonder if SA will simply punt on trying to match up against Howard: go small, spread the floor as much as possible, and live and die by the three. I'll be curious to hear from Dubs.

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 07:38:08 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
The matchups in the backcourt will be key, I think.

Can Rose-Shumpert contain Kemba-Iggy? I think the OKC defense could prove disruptive to the Spurs offense.

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 07:50:47 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I am assuming based on the placement of the teams in the regular season that Rose and Howard came back strong and had big years and that possibly Love did but Granger didn't.

In that case, even THE Walker Wiggle will concede. With Love and Granger both in traction. An emotionally exhausted Spurs lose in 5.

This was a difficult day for the organization, discovering just hours after making the playoffs that two of our All-Stars had been badly injured while rehearsing what would've been an all time great Game 1 half time show. We assure our fans the Coyote has been fired, and we thank you all for your support in these trying times.

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 07:58:23 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
If only the NBA had drug testing for mascots too. This whole tragedy could have been avoided.

I mean, come on: look at those eyes. It's obvious he's high on tumbleweeds right now.

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 07:58:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I am assuming based on the placement of the teams in the regular season that Rose and Howard came back strong and had big years and that possibly Love did but Granger didn't.

In that case, even THE Walker Wiggle will concede. With Love and Granger both in traction. An emotionally exhausted Spurs lose in 5.

This was a difficult day for the organization, discovering just hours after making the playoffs that two of our All-Stars had been badly injured while rehearsing what would've been an all time great Game 1 half time show. We assure our fans the Coyote has been fired, and we thank you all for your support in these trying times.

I thought I said Love possibly had a big year and would also give the Thunder major problems. I also believe I said I thought your coach would win a game.

Did I mention both your stars in traction? I apologize but I don't think I did.

I do agree though, that Coyote has to go. He's dangerous!!!

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 08:32:47 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
OKC takes this one ... Concerned about Rose and Howard's health, but expecting them to be ready for opening night. Minimal SA interior defense will be exposed from Rose's slashing and Howard's dominance
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 08:48:13 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I wonder if SA will simply punt on trying to match up against Howard: go small, spread the floor as much as possible, and live and die by the three. I'll be curious to hear from Dubs.

At this point in his career Howard is scoring 17 points a game, we'll likely concede that. The Thunder aren't changing their line-up to deal with Danny Granger.

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 07:51:51 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not concerned about injuries for San Antonio.  I *am* concerned about Javale's ability to cover Howard.  I'm interested in hearing Wiggle's thoughts on it.

This matchup is all about strength vs. weakness.  Lucky's strength at the 1 and 5 versus Wiggle's relative weakness there, and the flip side advantage at the 2 - 4 for the Spurs.

My early thoughts are that Kevin Love is going to have to score 25 to 30 per night for this to be competitive, but again, I'd like to hear Wiggle's strategy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 07:59:48 AM »

fitzhickey

What if SA went Iggy at the 1 and Thornton at the 2. Kemba as the spark off the bench
Iggy would be the best option for stopping rose IMO
Dwight poses a threat though

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 08:49:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm not concerned about injuries for San Antonio.  I *am* concerned about Javale's ability to cover Howard.  I'm interested in hearing Wiggle's thoughts on it.
Spurs.
Other than McGee who the heck is going to cover Howard anyways. I don't see that going well for Zeller, just not ready to match Howard's physical presence.

I fear Love (or worse one of the other weaker Fs) is going to end up on him a lot due to foul trouble by McGee/Zeller.