Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Western First Round: Oklahoma City(2) vs San Antonio(7)  (Read 109772 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Western First Round: Oklahoma City(2) vs San Antonio(7)
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 07:57:54 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I'd laugh off the Ridnour gameplan, but I think he might actually have the second most career playoff appearances on the Spurs. Experience matters.

Edit: Granger has 22 to Rid's 18.

Edit 2: Wow, Thad Young has 30 appearances? Who knew? Your guys aren't all as green as Love is when it comes to the postseason, I guess.

Quick tell me your favorite 2013 Udonis Haslem playoff moment?

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2013, 08:02:12 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
I'd laugh off the Ridnour gameplan, but I think he might actually have the second most career playoff appearances on the Spurs. Experience matters.

Edit: Granger has 22 to Rid's 18.

Edit 2: Wow, Thad Young has 30 appearances? Who knew? Your guys aren't all as green as Love is when it comes to the postseason, I guess.

Quick tell me your favorite 2013 Udonis Haslem playoff moment?

A less glib response to your criticism of Kevin Love's lack of post season experience - Was KG a different player in 2006-07 with the 32-50 Timberwolves than he was in 2007-08? I think no.

And while I am open to criticizing players who consistently underwhelm in the playoffs, Antawn Jamison, Ryan Anderson, Nic Batum, Al Harrington come to mind. I'm not going to knock a guy for never having been, when he's also never played with another All-Star.

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2013, 08:02:48 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I'll just make this blanket statement about our defensive gameplan: we're going to rely on Rose and Shumpert to disrupt guard play, and rely upon our team defense to make rotations/adjustments and choke off ball penetration.

In a word, we're going to make the Spurs beat us with their shooting. The only guy in the Spurs' top six who can do it consistently well is Love. I think every shot hoisted by Granger, Thad Young, or Kemba Walker is a small victory for OKC.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2013, 08:15:08 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
I'll just make this blanket statement about our defensive gameplan: we're going to rely on Rose and Shumpert to disrupt guard play, and rely upon our team defense to make rotations/adjustments and choke off ball penetration.

In a word, we're going to make the Spurs beat us with their shooting. The only guy in the Spurs' top six who can do it consistently well is Love. I think every shot hoisted by Granger, Thad Young, or Kemba Walker is a small victory for OKC.

I feel the same way about Dwight Howard's trips to the line.

Also, we have plenty of plus three point shooters - Love, Thornton, Ridnour, Datome, Granger shoots a respectable 38% from behind the arc.

And Young doesn't shoot 53% through luck. He's not going to be bonking long twos. Spurs are getting good looks at the rim in transition. Haslem can't keep pace with Thad. Howard does not want to chase McGee rim to rim, etc.

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2013, 08:26:55 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Is there some stat that measures transition defense that can be compared to transition offense? Like is there some stat that shows Dwight doesn't run the floor as well or often as McGee? Honest question.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2013, 10:28:43 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I'd like to think that the OKC guards will apply the same relentless pressure to the Spurs that my opposing GM has applied to me in this thread.

I still think that Rose and Howard will consistently bring more to this series than Love, Iggy, and Thad Young will bring.

If Love is indeed going to move to C in a smallball lineup, he's going to expend a lot of energy on defense trying to deal with Howard.

Likewise, the Spurs are going to have to come up with some kind of strategy to defend Rose, who elevates his game to another level in the playoffs. If it's some platoon committee of Kemba/Ridnour/Douglas, I think that's going to go well for the Thunder. Iguodala? I can bring in a secondary guard like Maynor, Gordon, or Belinelli--all of whom are capable ball handlers--to help run the offense if needed. And once Iguodala needs rest or runs into foul trouble, we're back to a mismatch for Rose.

Taj and Haslem aren't going to hit double figure scoring very often in this series, but that's not what they're out there for. Rebounding, physical play, and tough defense on the Spurs bigs is what those two will bring.

I can see the Spurs shooting their way to a couple wins in this series, but I don't think they can consistently shoot well enough to win four games.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2013, 10:59:35 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Can't see San Antonio scoring anywhere near enough points to stay competitive in this series.

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2013, 11:00:34 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I just went back and re-read all the comments in this thread. Best basketball analysis by GMs so far.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2013, 12:08:59 AM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Is there some stat that measures transition defense that can be compared to transition offense? Like is there some stat that shows Dwight doesn't run the floor as well or often as McGee? Honest question.

Hm, dunno. I was just throwing out what I thought was commonly understood. The Lakers were second worst in the league in transition defense, after Sacramento. (They were also 26th in points allowed in the paint). If Howard is a game changing defender and about to stifle the Spurs league-best fast break, he should catch some of that flack. No? I can tell you that Howard finished 82nd in PPP in transition, while McGee was 32nd.

This is also a fun read.

A thorough examination of Dwight Howard's defense against the Heat.

Here's the Cliff Notes version:

After a turnover, simply turns and watches a Heat fast break without even pretending to attempt to get back on defense. He wouldn’t have had a chance at disrupting the break anyway as it was a LeBron-Wade-Chalmers 3-on-1, but he made no effort whatsoever.

Literally the exact same thing happens except it’s a Wade-Chalmers 2-on-1. (-1)

The Heat get a steal immediately after Play #40. It’s a full 5 seconds after the steal before Howard appears in the picture. Wade gets a backdoor dunk off a ridiculous pass from LeBron. (-2)

Jogs back in transition defense. Again about 5 seconds pass on the shot clock before Howard gets below the 3-point line, but Wade misses a floater. (-1)

Meanwhile a Denver Nuggets team featuring Iguodala and McGee was #1 in the league in fast break scoring and points in the paint.

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2013, 12:28:34 AM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Can't see San Antonio scoring anywhere near enough points to stay competitive in this series.

SO, you're now the second person to suggest this, would you elaborate? Because I can't see it.

SPURS
Kemba Walker 17.7 PTS
Andre Iguodala 13.0 PTS
Danny Granger 18.7 PTS in 11-12
Kevin Love 19.2 PTS
JaVale McGee 9.1 PTS

BENCH
Thaddeus Young 14.8 PTS
Marcus Thornton 12.7 PTS
Luke Ridnour 11.5 PTS

THUNDER
Derrick Rose 21.8 PTS in 11-12
Iman Shumpert 11.0 PTS/36
Chase Budinger 9.4 PTS
Taj Gibson 12.8 PTS/36
Dwight Howard 17.1 PTS

BENCH
Ben Gordon 11.2 PTS
Marco Belinelli 9.6 PTS
Udonis Haslem 3.9 PTS

Even if you don't believe that Love can recapture his 24 points per game average of a year ago, why can't the Spurs still get more than enough offense to keep pace with a Oklahoma City team with trio of limited scorers alongside Rose and Howard? Particularly given that THE Kemba Walker whatever his limitations has shown he can get into the guts of a defense and score, even if it's at a league average rate on a lot of tough shots - floaters, and mid-range jumpers.

The Spurs also have a trio of fairly dangerous bench scorers in Thornton, Young and Ridnour. The Thunder have fewer options.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:33:40 AM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2013, 12:56:12 AM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Uh, sorry gents, ignore the above - unless your SO, and then come here and account for yourself - had my dates wrong.

I just went back and re-read all the comments in this thread. Best basketball analysis by GMs so far.

Lucky deserves the lion's share of the credit. Me, well, tell me what it means that I consistently draw compliments on my analysis but ultimately everybody agrees that I was wrong about everything?

Anyway, I'm adding a few things to my list.

Russell Westbrook, Anthony Randolph, Kevin Garnett at center, Ricky Rubio, Kevin Love's comeback, Danny Granger's comeback.

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2013, 07:26:42 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Yes, this was my favourite GM debate too. Picked up late but lots of quality back and forth on the team's relative strengths and weaknesses.

Offline TracyAnderson

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
  • Happiness is everything, try to be happy.
Pick your poison, Lucky and then drink to avoid having to watch Love follow up his 38 and 24 game with a 36, 21 and 6 three pointer Game 2.

Are we using a randomizer for those numbers? Why not just say that Love will average eleventy points and forty-five rebounds in his first ever playoff series?

http://www.roll-dice-online.com

Dice is always nice. I will definitely try it out. Thanks for sharing this awesome app.