Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern First Round: New York(2) vs Boston(7)  (Read 96330 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern First Round: New York(2) vs Boston(7)
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think New York should defend Pau Gasol with Brook Lopez if Boston stays big. Put Larry Sanders on Jonas Valanciunas instead.

I don't think much of L.Sanders man-to-man defense so I don't like him on Pau + if he is on Jonas, L.Sanders will have more opportunity to roam defensively and make the type of defensive plays he is good at.

I agree with this.  Lopez has more bulk, and will stand up to Gasol better in the post.  It also allows Sanders to roam more on the perimeter.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 02:26:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think I am leaning Knicks here after hearing IPs strategy to rely on gall at the 4. First off, I don't trust Gallo to be completely healthy because, Well, the guy never seems to be completely healthy. Second, New York's defenders will rough Gallo up something bad in a physical series and that will definitely have an effect on a not completely healthy Gallo and then the rest of the team.

Lastly, I am not buying into the quarter year wonder that IP is building up in Patrick Beverley. I have seen too many of these rookies that shine a bit just too fall off into nothingness when the league gets a better scouting report on them.

So I think I am going New York. Its just not Boston's time yet. Give Irving another couple years with some of these same players and maybe this team goes deep. Just not now.

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 02:33:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
So you think if Boston just stayed at Irving/Hayward/Gallo/Gasol/Valanciunas, they'd take New York? That's how you'd vote?

I think it would be much closer.

Previously, I was slightly leaning New York, but thought it would be a very close series.  After hearing this particular strategy, I think you'd get killed.  (Respectfully.)

Ah, so no, then really seriously no.

Well, I got nothin for ya, if you had your mind made up walking into this without even hearing an argument, I'm not sure how trying to convince you that Danillo Gallinari will abuse Sanders while Sanders isnt good enough to make Boston pay for the mismatch on the other end would help anything. Respectfully, you've been down on Boston since about the 5th round, and probably the most vocal person about it in the entire draft. Sometimes ya just gotta face facts and understand some people are just wrong. Not me of course, but you, right now, are wrong.

EDIT: Not meaning to sound snarky, just when Roy's down on your team, he'll pretty much lay siege to your hopes and dreams until you admit your team sucks too.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 02:34:52 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I'm a pretty huge Jonas Valancunias fan. I don't like taking him out of the game.

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 02:35:07 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I think I am leaning Knicks here after hearing IPs strategy to rely on gall at the 4. First off, I don't trust Gallo to be completely healthy because, Well, the guy never seems to be completely healthy. Second, New York's defenders will rough Gallo up something bad in a physical series and that will definitely have an effect on a not completely healthy Gallo and then the rest of the team.

Lastly, I am not buying into the quarter year wonder that IP is building up in Patrick Beverley. I have seen too many of these rookies that shine a bit just too fall off into nothingness when the league gets a better scouting report on them.

So I think I am going New York. Its just not Boston's time yet. Give Irving another couple years with some of these same players and maybe this team goes deep. Just not now.

Also not really a surprise, or really anything I can change. If they aren't 8 year vets Nick's not giving them the benefit of the doubt if all they have to do is walk and chew gum. Its in the manual.

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 02:36:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I'm a pretty huge Jonas Valancunias fan. I don't like taking him out of the game.

I'm not taking him out of the game. I'm playing Gallo at the 4 while NYK runs a Sanders/Lopez frontline only. Otherwise, he's probably going to get every minute I can put him on the floor next to Gasol when Z-Bo/Lopez take the court.

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 02:39:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I like Beverley as a defensive minded backup PG. I like that Boston also has Isaiah Thomas as more of an offensively geared backup PG. Nice alternatives to one another.

I don't really trust Beverley as a two guard defending someone as potent offensively as Kevin Martin. I haven't seen Beverley enough defensively against SGs to rate him there and don't think much of his offense anyway. So, that is a matchup I would look to avoid.

I prefer the small-ball lineup with a proper SG/SF on the floor alongside Hayward (SG/SF) and Gallinari (PF vs L.Sanders instead of one of the backup PGs. So either Fournier or C.Brewer.

I don't have much trust in Evan Fournier yet either. He didn't play much his rookie year. Showed an intriguing skill-set when given the opportunity but not enough production to depend on right away. He could have a breakout season next year or he could just as easily take a few years to develop. Too unreliable at this point. I just don't trust him playing important minutes in a playoff game.

So I go with Corey Brewer. I think he is the most dependable choice to round out a small ball lineup. Stick him on Jeff Green and keep Gordon Hayward matched up with Kevin Martin.

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 02:39:56 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Well, I got nothin for ya, if you had your mind made up walking into this without even hearing an argument...

Whoa there.  Who said anything about having their mind made up before listening to an argument?

Just because you're making a poor argument in my opinion doesn't mean I'm not open-minded or that I pre-judged the matchup.  Rather, I listened to your presentation, and your argument took me from on the fence to more firmly in New York's camp.  How does that equate with me having already had my mind made up?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 02:41:50 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
How does Boston matchup against a Z-Bo (PF) and Larry Sanders (C) combo?

Try to go small with Gallo against Sanders and put your center on Z-Bo? Or stay big with two true big men?

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
How does Boston matchup against a Z-Bo (PF) and Larry Sanders (C) combo?

Try to go small with Gallo against Sanders and put your center on Z-Bo? Or stay big with two true big men?

I'd stay big then, because Z-Bo is so untalented defensively, its better to put an honest big man defender on him to make sure he has to work for his 12 ppg rather than give him a shot to be a serious factor on offense.

And with Sanders next to him, help defense from my bigs (and wings) should be more bountiful. Lopez commands a certain amount of respect, but Sanders can be treated a lot like teams treat Perkins offensively. Z-Bo's not savvy enough to find him consistently through the double team, and Martin/Green aren't really good enough playmakers to make me pay there either.

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2013, 02:57:30 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

I'm not taking him out of the game. I'm playing Gallo at the 4 while NYK runs a Sanders/Lopez frontline only. Otherwise, he's probably going to get every minute I can put him on the floor next to Gasol when Z-Bo/Lopez take the court.

It's a tough spot to be in because I think JoVal will absolutely have a breakthrough season this year, but that's still an unknown.

I think he brings defense, rebounding, sets solid picks and is OK from mid range too. When keeping in mind that the focus of your offense will be to exploit the heck out of the Rubio/Irving matchup, I think that's more valuable to your team than Gallinari's ability to stretch the floor.

But, he's still unproven and that hurts you in the game. And I can certainly understand the idea of forcing the Knicks into relying on Lopez' defense.

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2013, 03:06:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

It's a tough spot to be in because I think JoVal will absolutely have a breakthrough season this year, but that's still an unknown.

I think he brings defense, rebounding, sets solid picks and is OK from mid range too. When keeping in mind that really you want to exploit the heck out of the Rubio/Irving matchup, I think that's more valuable to your team than Gallinari's ability to stretch the floor.

But, he's still unproven and that hurts you in the game. And I can certainly understand the idea of forcing the Knicks into relying on Lopez' defense.

Well the thing is, Gallo's ability to stretch the floor works at the 4 better than the 3, if creating space is the main objective.

To be clear, I'm not saying I'm going small all the time, I'm saying I'm going small when Larry Sanders is on the court next to Brook Lopez.

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2013, 03:22:12 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

I think he brings defense, rebounding, sets solid picks and is OK from mid range too. When keeping in mind that really you want to exploit the heck out of the Rubio/Irving matchup, I think that's more valuable to your team than Gallinari's ability to stretch the floor.

Well the thing is, Gallo's ability to stretch the floor works at the 4 better than the 3, if creating space is the main objective.

To be clear, I'm not saying I'm going small all the time, I'm saying I'm going small when Larry Sanders is on the court next to Brook Lopez.

I follow the logic 100%.

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2013, 03:44:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Also not really a surprise, or really anything I can change. If they aren't 8 year vets Nick's not giving them the benefit of the doubt if all they have to do is walk and chew gum. Its in the manual.
Sorry fool me once, same on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Already been done in in this game by the likes of such awesome young players as Landry Fields and Derrick Williams(who was supposedly so good he could guard Lebron James). Not buying a decent 20 game stretch by Patrick Beverley or even Evan Fournier as being able to handle vets like Martin and Hinrich in a 7 game playoff series.

I love Gasol and Irving and think Irving would absolutely toast Rubio in this series, but the lack of vets elsewhere after Gallo and Gasol is disconcerting. They aren't Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, Sefalosha good to be able to handle playoff basketball without a couple years experience in the playoffs first. That's been pretty much a reality in the real NBA. I don't see where suspending that reality here is akin to believing young players can't even walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. Youth doesn't win NBA playoffs 99% of the time, Experience, rebounding and defense does and I think you are outgunned in all three areas here.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 04:11:58 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2013, 03:57:23 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i voted...NY