Author Topic: What is the greatest sports 10 year period for any particular city?  (Read 3905 times)

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
In the last 10 years, Boston has had its team from the four major sports all win at least one title and all four teams have all been to multiple championship series (or games).  Which got me to thinking, has any other city had a 10 year period as prolific as Boston?  Now sure there have been more titles (the Yankees, the Celtics, dynasties), but has there been a 10 year run with such sustained success from all 4 major sports teams better than the last 10 years in Boston?  I don't even think NY with all of their teams has ever had a 10 year period with all 4 sports having a champion (the NFL wins don't overlap with both the NHL and NBA).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: What is the greatest sports 10 year period for any particular city?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 02:27:30 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
For Nairobi its definitely the 1980s, Gor Mahia Continental Champs. AFC Leopards and Tusker loading up on regional titles on the Soccer front, hosting the All Africa Games, but most importantly Africa`s one and only Olympic boxing champion at the Seoul games. How`s that for international flavour.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 07:37:26 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
LA in the 80s comes close.  Two titles for the Dodgers, one for the LA Raiders, and five for the Lakers.  Plus, they had a couple of years of Gretzky, including a Hart trophy.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 07:39:16 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think when the Gators won the National Championship in both basketball (twice) and football, and got a Heisman that was a very good run for Gainsville

When UConn won the NCAA championship in basketball, both men's and women's, that was a really good year for Storrs CT.

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 07:47:31 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
In the last 10 years, Boston has had its team from the four major sports all win at least one title and all four teams have all been to multiple championship series (or games).  Which got me to thinking, has any other city had a 10 year period as prolific as Boston?  Now sure there have been more titles (the Yankees, the Celtics, dynasties), but has there been a 10 year run with such sustained success from all 4 major sports teams better than the last 10 years in Boston?  I don't even think NY with all of their teams has ever had a 10 year period with all 4 sports having a champion (the NFL wins don't overlap with both the NHL and NBA).
Don't forget BC's 4 hockey championships, and BU's hockey championship, and Harvard's 5 football Ivy League championships