Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Southwest Division Press Conferences  (Read 29909 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Southwest Division Press Conferences
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 01:39:10 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Dallas: I really like your 2-5 positions and think the bench good enough to sustain quality ball, but the PG position concerns me. Nash is old. he's slowed down and had injury issues that required epidural shots all summer. Brandon Knight is extremely young, wild, erratic, and inefficient as a PG. His floor general skills are poor and that is being kind. Allay my fears over this position of yours not being dominated in a PG heavy league, especially since the last line of defense is Al Jefferson and Chris Kaman, not exactly the definition of defensive anchors.

I think Steve Nash has turned into one of the most underrated players in the NBA, due to a injury-filled year playing next to Kobe (i.e., the point guard killer).

Nash is one year removed from leading the league in assist-percentage, and averaging 10.7 assists per game.  He's also still one of the most efficient guards in the NBA.  He's probably still in the top-three in the NBA in terms of being a floor general.

Defensively, Nash isn't good, but he'll be helped by having athletic defenders on the perimeter in Gordon, Deng, and Smith.  They will help both Nash and Big Al tremendously, as they will help cut off penetration.

Knight is still learning the game, but he's a good outside shooter and a good defender.  He's not an elite PG, but I think he's more than adequate in a back up role.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 02:08:50 PM »

fitzhickey

Fitz:

1.  This is random, but tell me about your background personally.  You mentioned you're 14 years old, and live in another time zone.  How'd you get into the Celtics, find CelticsBlog, etc.

2.  Please talk about the learning curve for the CB Draft.  How was it as a rookie?
1. As you mentioned I'm 14 years of age. Live in Australia which makes this difficult at times, but totally worth it
My older brother introduced me into the NBA. He showed me some old games, and I saw a celts game and I just was in awe of Paul pierce's game. I started to follow the celtics as a young kid, demanding mum and dad to get the right kind of tv so I can watch it.
I found celtics blog by just googling celtics. I accidentally clicked on this page instead of the celtics home page and I started lurking as a guest. A few months later I decided to give it a shot. I thought it would be fun talking about this great team

2. My CB draft experience has been pretty special. My start was a bit rocky, but as I have consulted other GM's on things I think I have a better grasp on the whole draft. I remember I think my first trade, my 2nd and 5th for a 3rd and a 4th. That trade haunts me to this day. I have no idea what I did it for. But I learnt and now my trading is fairly decent IMHO

Hope that answers it

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 02:13:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Fitz:

1.  This is random, but tell me about your background personally.  You mentioned you're 14 years old, and live in another time zone.  How'd you get into the Celtics, find CelticsBlog, etc.

2.  Please talk about the learning curve for the CB Draft.  How was it as a rookie?
1. As you mentioned I'm 14 years of age. Live in Australia which makes this difficult at times, but totally worth it
My older brother introduced me into the NBA. He showed me some old games, and I saw a celts game and I just was in awe of Paul pierce's game. I started to follow the celtics as a young kid, demanding mum and dad to get the right kind of tv so I can watch it.
I found celtics blog by just googling celtics. I accidentally clicked on this page instead of the celtics home page and I started lurking as a guest. A few months later I decided to give it a shot. I thought it would be fun talking about this great team

2. My CB draft experience has been pretty special. My start was a bit rocky, but as I have consulted other GM's on things I think I have a better grasp on the whole draft. I remember I think my first trade, my 2nd and 5th for a 3rd and a 4th. That trade haunts me to this day. I have no idea what I did it for. But I learnt and now my trading is fairly decent IMHO

Hope that answers it
That trade was a 2nd and a 10th for a 3rd and a 9th

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 02:18:25 PM »

fitzhickey

Dallas: I really like your 2-5 positions and think the bench good enough to sustain quality ball, but the PG position concerns me. Nash is old. he's slowed down and had injury issues that required epidural shots all summer. Brandon Knight is extremely young, wild, erratic, and inefficient as a PG. His floor general skills are poor and that is being kind. Allay my fears over this position of yours not being dominated in a PG heavy league, especially since the last line of defense is Al Jefferson and Chris Kaman, not exactly the definition of defensive anchors.
I think Nash just had a bad year with injuries and Kobe being the ball dominant player that he is.
I don't think Nash has declined, he is a lights out shooter, while being a great playmaker. On this team filled with weapons I could see him getting back into the double digit assist numbers again.
Brandon Knight is a young up and comer. He will be learning how to truly play PG from Nash, all the while creating his own offence.
Nash might not be the greatest defender, but next to him are two former all defensive team second team selections and a capable defender in Gordon. I don't think defence will be a problem

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 02:19:26 PM »

fitzhickey

Fitz:

Hope that answers it
That trade was a 2nd and a 10th for a 3rd and a 9th
Holy... Wow
Repressed memory
That's why I forgot

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 02:26:33 PM »

fitzhickey

I really like the fit of Nash-Gordon-Deng-Smith-Jefferson as the starting lineup. However, your bench brings minimal punch to the table and I think will be exposed. How would you defend the back end of your roster and make the claim that they will be competitive and supplement your starters?
I think my bench is very solid. No stars but no gaping weaknesses.
Kaman is a former all star, who, with about 15-18 minutes a game should be able to get 10 points and 6 rebounds
Tyler Hansbrough is a big tough PF. He puts in 100% and then some. You don't get the nickname psycho T for not being tough.
Bullock is a rookie I am very high on. He can shoot the 3 without difficulty, and he is a good defender of both the 2 and 3.
Gary Neal is a sniper who hasn't received many mins in SA. In Dallas he will be scoring 10+ points a game easily.
Brandon knight is a young improving point. He is learning how to play the point properly, and who better to teach him than Steve Nash?

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 02:26:56 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Wiggle:

1.  Sell me on Javale McGee.  He played 18 minutes per game last year as a bench player, and fell out of favor in Denver despite his fantastic block numbers.

To me, he's the Gerald Green of big man:  all flash, great hops, no IQ.  How can a player like that play a big role for your team, especially with a rookie backing him up.

Humor the long answer, I gave the McGee pick more thought than any other. JaVale is by most metrics the most prolific shot blocker in the league. He's a strong rebounder and first rate finisher around the rim. So he does contribute despite his considerable flaws. Case in point, he ranked 1st on the Nuggets in PER and 2nd in WS/48. And if a coach can stomach his lack of focus, he's proven that he can maintain his production when given a heavier load.

Did he fall out of favor? The front office is committed to him. Karl went on record after his dismal that he would have started JaVale in 13-14. But Karl, much like Don Nelson before him, is a great coach who's rotations are sloppy and instinctual.

Surprise starting JaVale in the playoffs once the Nuggets had dug themselves a deep hole became a Karl tradition - and it worked against the Lakers. But Karl couldn't integrate McGee with Faried, that pairing was among the Nuggets' worst, with a -5.5 net efficiency. Faried is the team's other highly efficient (3rd in PER, 1st in WS/48) defensive liability. I'm a fan of both, but have never understood why Faried is given so much more rope. Pairing McGee with Gallinari as a stretch four and Iggy, the team's elite defensive wing, at the 3 was one of Denver's best lineups: +22.8 net.

Still I'm skeptical I'm going to make a convert out of you. So how about this? Teams can and do win with flawed centers. It's a long list. And the Spurs have the luxury of pairing McGee with Love, a high intensity, heads up, banger, the games best rebounder, a top 3 shooter and passer at his position. We can live with McGee because Love shoulders the burden inside, stretches the floor, handles the ball, draws double teams, does the work of two men under the glass. He's easily McGee's best front court mate. And, conversely, the Spurs pair the earth bound Love with an elite athlete, a quick footed, elastic high flyer, a shot blocking and dunking savant.

Anyway whatever you think of McGee, the Green comparison isn't fair. JaVale has never fallen out of a rotation, nor is he going to wash out of the league. He's not a heady player, but his work ethic is better, and he's a lock to be a 30+ mpg starter next season in the actual NBA.

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 02:39:06 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Houston

This is a team that has good pieces on the roster and is certainly a franchise that will experience some success. However, I want to bring attention to the Dragic-Harden backcourt. Harden effectively acts as a point guard who scores first, facilitates second, and has the ball in his hands often. Dragic is a true facilitator and not overly effective as a spot-up shooter off the ball. How do you see these two playing together?

I want to know the exact same thing. Dragic is one of the best up-and-coming PGs in the league but now he's suddenly on a team with a ball-dominant SG. I am very skeptical Dragic's talents can be maximized effectively.

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 03:09:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Dallas, Houston, San Antonio: You all have very strong teams, but the West is stacked and at least one strong team will be left out of the playoffs entirely.  I'm having a very hard time separating the three of you right now.  Make your case for being the best team in Texas.

Memphis: Feel free to tell me why I'm a stupidhead for not having you in the same class as the other 3.

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
2013-2014 Houston Rockets

Front Office
GM: BigAlTheFuture
Head Coach: Brian Shaw[

Starting Lineup

Bench Mob

Depth Chart
1. Goran Dragic/Will Bynum/Derek Fisher
2. James Harden/Jason Terry/Jimmer Fredette
3. Nicolas Batum/Tayshaun Prince
4. Kenneth Faried/Boris Diaw
5. Marcin Gortat/Kenyon Martin/Nazr Mohammed

Introducing your 2013-2014 Houston Rockets!

Starting at Point Guard: Goran Dragic

The 6'3 point guard from Yugoslovia. Dragic is coming off his best season as an NBA pro averaging 14.7 points and 7.4 assists. Dragic relies on his deceptive speed and lighting quickness to initiate fast breaks and get to the rim. His speed puts the defense off balance and makes him a tough cover for anyone. Not only is Dragic a dangerous scorer, he is also a skilled passer. Last season he averaged almost 8 assists with mediocre teammates.

Starting at Center: Marcin Gortat

Marcin Gortat is a 6'11 center from Poland. A threat to post a double-double on any given night, Gortat is a center with a rare offensive skill-set. His athleticism and strength gives him the ability to exploit matchups with the opposing center. His decent mid-range jumper allows us to utilize him both in the low post and perimeter. Gortat's mobility and speed allows him to be effective on the defensive end. Plays good transition defense and uses his strength on the low-post to make it tough for opposing centers to score.

Starting at Power Forward: Kenneth Faried

One of the most exciting players in the league. Kenneth Faried is a fearless rebounder and incredible athlete. His elite athleticism and non-stop motor makes him dangerous on transition. Faried's defense is above average. Uses his quick hands to play passing lanes and long arms to block shots. Has good instincts and nose for the ball.

Starting at Small Forward: Nicolas Batum

One of the most versatile players in the league. Batum can do it all. One of the few players in the league that can pull off a 5x5. Nicolas is a highly skilled defender. His length causes huge problems for opposing players. A very good shot blocker for a small forward, Batum has mastered the art of the "chase down block." Not only is Batum an elite defender, he is also a dangerous shooter and above average playmaker.

Starting at Shooting Guard: James Harden

Not much to say about James Harden. Solidified himself as an NBA superstar this past season, Harden is a safe bet to score 25+ points every night. One of the most dangerous scorers in the league, Harden has a number of ways to score on you, and does so at an efficient rate. Despite common perception, Harden is also very underrated defender.

Bench:
Tayshaun Prince - long, versatile small forward. Elite defender, can guard both forward positions. Great spot up shooter.
Jason Terry - Elite 3 point shooter and can light it up. Had a down year with the Celtics but I fully expect him to bounce back to being that spark plug off the bench he was with Dallas.
Boris Diaw - Point forward. Very good defender. Stretch 4. Diaw will be a very valuable player to have off the bench. He's a big that can shoot and has great playmaking skills.
Kenyon Martin - Defense. Did a very good job with his short stint last season. A difference maker in the Knicks 2nd unit. His rim protecting will be much needed.
Will Bynum - Backup point guard. Byum can penetrate the defense with his handles, is great at slashing to the basket.

PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 03:15:59 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Houston

This is a team that has good pieces on the roster and is certainly a franchise that will experience some success. However, I want to bring attention to the Dragic-Harden backcourt. Harden effectively acts as a point guard who scores first, facilitates second, and has the ball in his hands often. Dragic is a true facilitator and not overly effective as a spot-up shooter off the ball. How do you see these two playing together?

I want to know the exact same thing. Dragic is one of the best up-and-coming PGs in the league but now he's suddenly on a team with a ball-dominant SG. I am very skeptical Dragic's talents can be maximized effectively.

I disagree with the fact that Dragic is not effective as a spot up shooter. He shot almost 40 percent as a spot up shooter last season and he is also effective at coming off of screens. I believe he and Harden will have no problem co-existing.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 03:28:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think I've my top five in the West wrapped up -- LAL, OKC, MIN, GSW and PHO.

Unsure on the final three playoff spots. So many teams close together.

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 03:32:40 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
I disagree with the fact that Dragic is not effective as a spot up shooter. He shot almost 40 percent as a spot up shooter last season and he is also effective at coming off of screens. I believe he and Harden will have no problem co-existing.

Thanks for the answer. After doing some research, I also realized that I blew out of proportions Harden's ball dominance and its effect on PGs. Truth be told I don't have many other issues with your team. It's very balanced and certainly has the talent to compete with the best. I'm sure I've said this countless times now, but this Rockets team might be my favorite - outside of my own of course  ;)

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 03:44:34 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Houston: Jason Terry is a key bench piece for you, but is not the most popular guy here these days.  How will you use him differently than the Celtics did to maximize whatever he's got left in the tank?

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 03:45:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Question for Dallas, how do you plan on making Big Al, J Smoove, and Deng fit on offense?  I see some pretty serious spacing issues there that will cause the floor to get very crowded for the guards.