Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Southwest Division Press Conferences  (Read 30006 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Southwest Division Press Conferences
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2013, 05:28:36 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'll also say this.  I can't state enough how much I love Iggy.  Nothing infuriated me more than seeing him drafted one spot before me.  I had every intention of pairing him with George to form the (easily) most devastating wing combo anyone has seen.
That would have been amazing defensively. Pippen + Jordan-esque.
That is terrifying me
And, if possible, TA defending the point
Iggy could play point on offence
Nightmares

Totally getting off-topic here (and I'm getting angry again about lost opportunity), so I'll make this my last point about it.

TA wouldn't work with those two.  You'd need a better shooter.  Sure, the defense would be out of this world, but ball movement, and spacing would become problematic.  A PG more along the line of George Hill would be a better fit (which is partly what makes IRL Indy work so well).

« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2013, 05:31:51 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I think Dragic is a very good defensive PG. Phoenix has a weak coach in Alvin Gentry who doesn't prepare his team well enough defensively. If Dragic (or Gortat) were on another team, a good defensive team, I think both players would be well regarded for their defense once again.

Who's Houston's coach? The problem with your argument is Gortat and Dragic aren't joining a good defensive team, they're being asked to cover for Harden, who's defense has suffered considerably since he's become a 1st option on offense, Batum, by the numbers not a notable defender, and Faried.

« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2013, 05:51:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think Dragic is a very good defensive PG. Phoenix has a weak coach in Alvin Gentry who doesn't prepare his team well enough defensively. If Dragic (or Gortat) were on another team, a good defensive team, I think both players would be well regarded for their defense once again.

Who's Houston's coach? The problem with your argument is Gortat and Dragic aren't joining a good defensive team, they're being asked to cover for Harden, who's defense has suffered considerably since he's become a 1st option on offense, Batum, by the numbers not a notable defender, and Faried.

Houston - Brian Shaw - rookie head coach
Dallas - Kevin McHale - middle of the pack head coach
Memphis - Jeff Van Gundy - very strong head coach
San Antonio - Rick Carlisle - Championship caliber coach

« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2013, 05:59:14 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
I may be sounding like a broken record now but once again, Who's spot on. Houston's defense is a lot better than what it's made out to be, while most people seem to be overrating their offense. That being said, unlike Who I still believe that Houston's offense is enough to keep it as the best team of the division.

« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2013, 05:59:59 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Dallas, Houston, San Antonio: You all have very strong teams, but the West is stacked and at least one strong team will be left out of the playoffs entirely.  I'm having a very hard time separating the three of you right now.  Make your case for being the best team in Texas.

Memphis: Feel free to tell me why I'm a stupidhead for not having you in the same class as the other 3.

Houston is the most balanced team. Plain and simple. San Antonio has huge questions marks. Two of their best players barely played last season. Yes, the case can be made that Granger and Love can come back healthy, but until Love proves he can stay healthy for an entire season and lead a team to the playoffs, and Granger can recover from that major injury, I don't think I feel confident picking them to win the division.

Dallas has very good players, but I wouldn't consider any of them great. As stated before, their front line lacksa spacing. Although Big Al can occasionally knock known that mid range shot, I wouldn't say he's consistent. I guess you can consider Smith a "stretch 4," but I he's wildly inconsistent from long range. Dallas also some huge question marks in the back court. I love Nash, I believe he can still return to his Phoenix, but at 39, he's even a bigger liability on defense than he already was. Gordon also has to prove that he can stay healthy for a full season before he can be taken seriously. I also don't think Big Al is a legit first option. While Dallas has a very strong starting 5, none are superstars.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2013, 06:13:04 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
I must say that this division was the hardest one for me to rank. After Houston, it was a complete toss-up for the other three teams. I've finally made a decision though, and I think I have my overall standings finally completed!

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
And no way, Fitz is 14?!?
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2013, 06:44:51 PM »

fitzhickey

haha you robbed a child of his 2nd round pick

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2013, 06:45:33 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

Yeah man! What the heck is wrong with you Big Al?!

« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2013, 06:46:34 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas

Did I mention Im only 11

« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2013, 06:48:49 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies

Did I mention Im only 11

And you're stealing from your elders? What are your parents teaching you?

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2013, 06:51:52 PM »

fitzhickey

Did I mention Im only 11

And you're stealing from your elders? What are your parents teaching you?
learn your place child

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2013, 07:05:37 PM »

fitzhickey

Dallas, Houston, San Antonio: You all have very strong teams, but the West is stacked and at least one strong team will be left out of the playoffs entirely.  I'm having a very hard time separating the three of you right now.  Make your case for being the best team in Texas.

Memphis: Feel free to tell me why I'm a stupidhead for not having you in the same class as the other 3.

Houston is the most balanced team. Plain and simple. San Antonio has huge questions marks. Two of their best players barely played last season. Yes, the case can be made that Granger and Love can come back healthy, but until Love proves he can stay healthy for an entire season and lead a team to the playoffs, and Granger can recover from that major injury, I don't think I feel confident picking them to win the division.

Dallas has very good players, but I wouldn't consider any of them great. As stated before, their front line lacksa spacing. Although Big Al can occasionally knock known that mid range shot, I wouldn't say he's consistent. I guess you can consider Smith a "stretch 4," but I he's wildly inconsistent from long range. Dallas also some huge question marks in the back court. I love Nash, I believe he can still return to his Phoenix, but at 39, he's even a bigger liability on defense than he already was. Gordon also has to prove that he can stay healthy for a full season before he can be taken seriously. I also don't think Big Al is a legit first option. While Dallas has a very strong starting 5, none are superstars.
getting back on topic
i think big al has really developed his mid range game to be considered consistent
and nash's defense will be covered up by his help defenders
with the two forwards who are elite defenders, and gordon being more than capable i dont think nash's weak defense will effect the team that adversely

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
The final playoff spots in the West are so hard to pick. So little separating the sides that make it and don't make it. I really think I could be just as happy swapping the 2-3 teams I currently have just outside the playoffs with the final 2-3 teams to make the playoffs.

So little separation.

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2013, 07:11:07 PM »

fitzhickey

The final playoff spots in the West are so hard to pick. So little separating the sides that make it and don't make it. I really think I could be just as happy swapping the 2-3 teams I currently have just outside the playoffs with the final 2-3 teams to make the playoffs.

So little separation.
the west is so stacked it is difficult to rank
except dallas at no.1