Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Southwest Division Press Conferences  (Read 30077 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Southwest Division Press Conferences
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 03:51:48 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
SA, have you given any thought to playing Thad Young at SF, at least some of the time?  I'm not sold on either backup at SF, and Granger, well, others have covered it pretty well there.

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Houston: Jason Terry is a key bench piece for you, but is not the most popular guy here these days.  How will you use him differently than the Celtics did to maximize whatever he's got left in the tank?

2012-2013: .434 FG%, .372 3P FG%
2011-2012: .430 FG%, .378 3P FG%

Despite the flack that Terry is getting, his shooting percentages with Boston is nearly identical compared to the previous season. I still believe Terry has a lot left in the tank. He's obviously not gonna put up 18 PPG like he did in his 6MOY season with Harden on the team but he is still capable of scoring around 11-14 PPG. I think if Terry got more shots last year, he would've averaged 15 points a game.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 04:06:30 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Houston: Jason Terry is a key bench piece for you, but is not the most popular guy here these days.  How will you use him differently than the Celtics did to maximize whatever he's got left in the tank?

His coach isn't named Doc Rivers.

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 04:13:04 PM »

fitzhickey

Dallas, Houston, San Antonio: You all have very strong teams, but the West is stacked and at least one strong team will be left out of the playoffs entirely.  I'm having a very hard time separating the three of you right now.  Make your case for being the best team in Texas.
Dallas' fit overall is just too good for opposing teams. Two lockdown defenders, two great scorers and one of the best playmakers in the league. That is very hard to match up with. The only three players who are dangerous to us are Love, Harden and CP3. Our lockdown defence at the other positions will shut down CP3's playmaking, forcing him to carry the team. We have Smith at PF to defend Love as best he can, and Gordon is an underrated defender. I'm not saying Gordon will stop Harden, but he will defend him well, and then score nearly as much as him on the other end.
I don't think any team poses a serious threat to us

Question for Dallas, how do you plan on making Big Al, J Smoove, and Deng fit on offense?  I see some pretty serious spacing issues there that will cause the floor to get very crowded for the guards.
This is where Nash steps in. Deng can hit the three ball, and Big Al can hit the mid range jumper. I don't want smith taking those stupid mid range shots with the D all over him, but if Nash hits him when he is open then there is certainly a chance of him making them. All of these guys can move out to at least 15 feet, so I don't think space will be a problem.
And all the guards on my team are good 3pt shooters, so the guards wouldn't be able to collapse in on the bigs without being crucified.

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 04:30:32 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Question for Dallas, how do you plan on making Big Al, J Smoove, and Deng fit on offense?  I see some pretty serious spacing issues there that will cause the floor to get very crowded for the guards.
This is where Nash steps in. Deng can hit the three ball, and Big Al can hit the mid range jumper. I don't want smith taking those stupid mid range shots with the D all over him, but if Nash hits him when he is open then there is certainly a chance of him making them. All of these guys can move out to at least 15 feet, so I don't think space will be a problem.
And all the guards on my team are good 3pt shooters, so the guards wouldn't be able to collapse in on the bigs without being crucified.

Here's my point.  Big Al and Smith will be occupying many of the same areas of the court, and neither is a fantastic shooter.  Jefferson had an eFG% of 41% on jumpshopts last year accounting for 71% of his overall attempts, and Smith had an eFG% of 39% on jumpshots accounting for 56% of his overall attempts.  That seems iffy to me.  Deng can shoot the three, but has a career 3pt% of only 33% (good but not great).

I do agree that your perimeter shooting from the gurads will help mitigate this,  but beware of Smith.  His penchant for bricking midrange shots is an offensive killer.

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 04:33:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don't think there are spacing issues on a team that starts Nash, Gordon, and Deng.  Deng had an off-year last year in terms of 3PT shooting, but he shot a collective 36% from three the four prior seasons. 

The real trick for Dallas will be hoping that Nash can get Smith to quit taking so many bad jumpers.  My guess is that Dallas won't have Smith spotting up for as many three pointers as he was in Atlanta, either.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 04:34:38 PM »

fitzhickey

Here's my point.  Big Al and Smith will be occupying many of the same areas of the court, and neither is a fantastic shooter.  Jefferson had an eFG% of 41% on jumpshopts last year accounting for 71% of his overall attempts, and Smith had an eFG% of 39% on jumpshots accounting for 56% of his overall attempts.  That seems iffy to me.  Deng can shoot the three, but has a career 3pt% of only 33% (good but not great).

I do agree that your perimeter shooting from the gurads will help mitigate this,  but beware of Smith.  His penchant for bricking midrange shots is an offensive killer.
On this team Smith thankfully won't get all those opportunities to shoot those awful jumpshots. In Atlanta he was what, 1st or 2nd option. 2nd or 3rd with Joe Johnson. In Dallas he will 3rd option at best, maybe 4th depending on matchups.
I don't think Smith's shooting will hurt my team

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 04:36:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Dallas, Houston, San Antonio: You all have very strong teams, but the West is stacked and at least one strong team will be left out of the playoffs entirely.  I'm having a very hard time separating the three of you right now.  Make your case for being the best team in Texas.

It's interesting to see the different perceptions.

I've got Dallas as the best team, followed pretty closely by Houston.  I've got San Antonio as a significant step below.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2013, 04:36:45 PM »

fitzhickey

Smiths main role in the offence will be cutting to the basket for open dunks. And we know he can do them

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I've got Dallas as the best team, followed pretty closely by Houston.  I've got San Antonio as a significant step below.

I'm a fan of a lot of San Antonio's guys (Iggy, Thad, Kemba, McGee to a limited extent).  I'm having a hard time picturing how they'll fit together, but to me their talent keeps them in the conversation.

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2013, 04:41:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I've been impressed by how much Big Al has improved his passing and jump shooting since going to Utah.

According to basketball-reference.com, Big Al made 220 jump-shots last season outside of 10 feet. Shot 41.6% on 200 midrange (10-15 footers) and 40.1% on 350 long two pointers (16-23 feet). Not many centers have shooting range like that.

It was one of the reasons I was more open to Big Al working alongside Gortat. His improvement offensively outside of his post game. In his passing ability and with his jump shooting. More versatile offensive player nowadays.

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2013, 04:43:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Smiths main role in the offence will be cutting to the basket for open dunks. And we know he can do them

I'm curious about the pace you'll be playing at.  You've got some great athletes and rebounders, but you've also got some older and/or banged up guys.

Do you see your team as primarily a fast-paced, transition offense, or a half-court team that is opportunistic with transition opportunities?

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2013, 04:45:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I'm a fan of a lot of San Antonio's guys (Iggy, Thad, Kemba, McGee to a limited extent).  I'm having a hard time picturing how they'll fit together, but to me their talent keeps them in the conversation.

I'm definitely not there on McGee, and I'm unsure about Kemba.  I don't see anything overly special about Thad Young, but he's an okay player.

I love Iggy, and I love Love. 

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2013, 04:48:14 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
San Antonio: You appear to have put a lot of stock into two players that were injured all last year. Granger's injury looks to be chronic and long term. Why should people overlook these injury problems and assume health with these players because if assumed they are injured, I have a hard time ranking this team highly.

Everybody knows I've long hated the 82-game Yao Ming argument. In the CB Draft, with so little solid ground, voters use a combination of gut instinct and gamesmanship to determine the fates of some 30-odd seriously injured players any given offseason - I don't expect that to change. Still, if you're implying you can be swayed, I'll give it my best effort.

First, Kevin Love managed just 18 games last season and struggled with a series of loosely related injuries under a black cloud of bad luck. But I've yet to see it suggested that his troubles will follow him into next season, I can't recall a broken hand derailing an NBA career, he's by all reports in the best shape of his career, and has been training without restriction for going on two months now.

Then we have Danny Granger. As Who pointed out, the media struck a decidedly pessimistic tone during the Pacers' season and, as is typical in 21st century pro sports, actual specific injury details since are scarce. Granger is playing 1-on-1 basketball and is currently penciled in as the Pacers' starting small forward. His injury is chronic, but not typically career ending - Wade and Carter have successfully managed "jumper's knee." He has a history of playing through discomfort, averaging 72 games per season prior to last year. And with tens of millions on the line, never underestimate the added motivation of a contract year, even on a high effort, high character player such as Danny Granger.

Beyond that, I've worked to mitigate the Spurs' risk. San Antonio has great wing depth by design and can limit Granger to 25-28 mpg during the regular season. Thaddeus Young is an NBA starter on nearly any other team and was the 76ers best player last season, he can reasonably spot start for Granger (or Love for that matter) without costing the Spurs in the regular season win column. Iguodala draws the tougher defensive assignment every night, and is a far better ball handler than Paul George. He can also slide to the 3 with Marcus Thornton covering Granger's scoring load, or with Ridnour running at the 2 as he's done so well alongside other young point guards, first Rubio then Brandon Jennings. Kevin Love is an All-NBA talent, the first option on offense, and best teammate Granger will have ever played off. Luigi Datome is an elite Euro-league shooter and DeMarre Carroll is a smart, highly efficient, plus defender at the back of the rotation.

Roy is right, that Granger's production likely dips again. The Spurs can live with slightly less than 18.7 points per on strong 3-point and free throw shooting, 5 rpg and 1 spg. I would love to see his FG% tick back upwards with Granger playing as the third option most nights behind Love and Walker. But I most need Danny to stretch the floor opposite Love, take advantage of the mismatches his size creates, and to use his length to fill passing lanes and cover ground as a help defender.

Boston's Pau Gasol has the same degenerative knee condition, and while he missed less time than Granger last season, he's also three years older. How optimistic are you of his chances? In my division Dallas's starting two-guard Eric Gordon has a far worse injury history. Rose, Westbrook, Rondo, and Bryant are all returning from major knee surgeries, being asked to do more than Granger for their respective teams, and all rely more on their athleticism. Granger - except in his agility for a player his height - has never been an elite athlete.

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2013, 04:49:55 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
Here's how I rank the division:

1-Houston
2-Dallas
3-San Antonio
4-Memphis

(Teams) Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong.