Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Southeast Division Press Conferences  (Read 24945 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Southeast Division Press Conferences
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 12:48:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Atlanta: Gerald Henderson is probably slightly undersized for a SG but you have him playing SF. With only Pierce as a true SF on the team and Pierce getting up there in years and maybe losing a step, how are you going to deal with teams that will have Durant, Lebron, Carmelo, George and other such large physical SFs on the floor?

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 12:49:38 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Sort of a side note on Miami's previous team,

I loved the Josh Smith (PF) and Chris Bosh (C) combination. I was very disappointed when that was broken up. I thought they would have been incredibly difficult for most teams to matchup against with their speed and quickness.

I was hoping Miami would build a very aggressive trapping defense around them. Targeting perimeter players with plus size who were high level athletes wherever possible. I thought with C.Parsons, G.Hayward and S.Nash; they had the size part of it but not the athleticism to play the type of physical pressing defense I would've loved to have seen alongside Josh Smith (PF) and Chris Bosh (C). Try to get dribble penetration and floor spacing on offense.

I think Bosh (C) and J.Smith (PF) would've worked very well together in many different perimeter combinations because they are both just so bloody good ... but I think that type of perimeter play would've been special.

I thought they would have been fun watch but lacked elite talent to get the team over the top and would have been too easily wrecked by teams with elite bulky big men.

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 12:53:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Miami: After playing third fiddle and center(for the most part)for the last three years in Miami, it appears Bosh is going to have to assume a lead scorer's role on this Miami team as a PF. Does he have it in him and since his Toronto teams always kind of stunk with him as a lead player, who will things be different here?

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 12:55:57 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I really like Atlanta's main foursome

SG: Wade
SF: Pierce
PF: Boozer
 C: Nene

I don't think the Hawks have enough of a supporting cast around them to win the East though. I do think they are a very solid mid tier playoff team.

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 01:04:20 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Miami: After playing third fiddle and center(for the most part)for the last three years in Miami, it appears Bosh is going to have to assume a lead scorer's role on this Miami team as a PF. Does he have it in him and since his Toronto teams always kind of stunk with him as a lead player, who will things be different here?

YEEEEEEEEES! One of my biggest pet peeves about the past 15 years of the NBA comes up! And that is, HOW HORRIBLE WERE THE TORONTO RAPTORS AT BUILDING AROUND CHRIS BOSH? Toronto drafted one the 3rd best perimeter scoring big of the past 20 years-- Dirk, KG. I've always thought of Duncan as more post oriented-- and then proceeded to draft:

Rafael Arujo-Bust
Charlie Villanueva- Redundant next to Bosh and bad
Bargani-- redundant next to Bosh, Villanueva and bad.
Then they traded Roy Hibbert to Indiana so they could have Jermaine O'Neal
DeMar De Rozan

Frankly, any superstars teams would be terrible if the management had no freaking clue how to build a team around them.

But fwiw, I imagine there will be a healthy competition for the team's leading scorer between Bosh and Parker, which would be another thing Bosh never had in Toronto,  with Parsons taking a step forward to 17-18 ppg.

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 01:10:36 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Question (largely hypothetical) for the Heat:

Imagine that the Commissioner's Office had granted a 24-hour extension to the trading deadline. Would you have taken advantage of that, and how?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 01:12:54 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

Imagine that the Commissioner's Office had granted a 24-hour extension to the trading deadline. Would you have taken advantage of that, and how?

Probably not, it was pretty clear about an hour after the Stephenson trade that rosters were all but cemented.

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2013, 01:24:25 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Probably not, it was pretty clear about an hour after the Stephenson trade that rosters were all but cemented.

You wouldn't have pursued a fifth big man to solidify your frontcourt rotation? I think just one more big man would have really bolstered your roster. I'm not so confident in Serpahin and Sammy each logging 15-20 minutes a night.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

You wouldn't have pursued a fifth big man to solidify your frontcourt rotation? I think just one more big man would have really bolstered your roster. I'm not so confident in Serpahin and Sammy each logging 15-20 minutes a night.

Why would they each be logging 15-20 minutes a night? I can't imagine a circumstance in which Bosh would be only playing 28-33 minutes a night and until this year when Sanders emerged, Dalembert hadn't played under 20 mpg since his rookie year.

Meanwhile Splitter became a starter this year and his minutes rose 5 mpg and I would expect them to do so again this year. I really don't see big man depth as a problem.

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 01:39:09 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Why would they each be logging 15-20 minutes a night? I can't imagine a circumstance in which Bosh would be only playing 28-33 minutes a night and until this year when Sanders emerged, Dalembert hadn't played under 20 mpg since his rookie year.

Meanwhile Splitter became a starter this year and his minutes rose 5 mpg and I would expect them to do so again this year. I really don't see big man depth as a problem.

I agree with KC.

Big fan of Sammy and whet he brings to this team. Excellent rim protector and rebounder, doesn't go out and do too much, and still has some hop. He would start for a handful of NBA teams (as evident by Dallas adding him).

A question I probably know the answer to, what's your thought (KC) on starting Sammy next to Bosh and bringing Splitter in as your 3rd big? Lots of flexibility I feel with those 3.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 01:44:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Orlando

This is one of my favorite teams in the East and I think - if healthy - would be a clear cut favorite. How would you respond to a critic that says your team lacks the talent without Bryant and Stoudemire to make noise? I know injuries are a poor detractor to a fantasy team, but with those two players - who are vital to your team's success - it becomes a relevant issue.

Orlando:Discuss your team's expectations if Kobe's miracle drugs of healing do not work and he is out for an extended period of time. Also, even if he does return early, can Kobe, ay his age, still lead a team to the promised land?

These are similar questions so I'm grouping them together.  First, thanks for getting the toughest question out of the way first.  :)  I think in this kind of game, predicting injury recovery is probably second in difficulty to predicting how personalities will work together.  We can guess at likelihoods, but the real outcomes are always a crapshoot.  I think clearly if we don't have Kobe and Amar'e by the playoffs that we're sunk.  But, I don't think there's any reason to assume that'll be the case. 

Both Kobe and Amar'e are vets with tons of experience, and are very familiar with dealing with the grind of the regular season.  Kobe also has the advantage of being probably the best-conditioned athlete in the league, and has shown a remarkable (some would say suspicious) ability to recover from injuries.  This is the worst injury he's had, but he's already healed enough to run hard and jump off a high dive.  There's little info on a timetable, but is anyone who follows the NBA going to be shocked if Kobe's back and dropping 30 by December?  His return is up in the air but I'd fully expect him to be back to full strength by the time the playoffs roll around.

Amar'e is a little tougher to estimate, but he was able to return (in a limited way) during the playoffs this year, and has been rehabbing hard all summer.  Reportedly he was scheduled to work with Olajuwon again this summer, so he's clearly mobile enough for basic drilling and practice.  Much like the Knicks, we'll be cautious with Amar'e's minutes early in the season, then try to ease him into a bigger bench role, then, if things continue to go well, possibly start him by the end of the regular season and into the playoffs.  But even if Amar'e can't start, simply repeating the high-efficiency bench role he played last year with the Knicks will be more than enough to help us contend.

I expect both Kobe and Amar'e to be capable of filling the roles we're asking them to play by the playoffs.  In the meantime, there may be a handful of early games where neither one plays.  In that case, we've still got an excellent defense, and a number of guys who can put up respectable numbers on O.  With Kobe's absence in particular, we'll be expecting Vince Carter to step up offensively.  We believe he can replace ~70-80% of Kobe's production for limited stretches of the season.  The rest of the offensive slack will fall on Millsap, Hill, and Jack, with Asik, MWP, Collison and Harkless expected to contribute here and there.  It won't be enough to contend, but it will be enough to win games and stay in the playoff picture until we return to full strength.

And yes, Kobe is still more than capable of leading a championship team with a strong enough supporting cast, which is what we've tried to build here.  There's no doubting his conditioning, his desire to win, or his ability to play at an elite level, no matter what his age.

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 02:31:12 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Every team but Miami: Why is your team better than Miami? Currently I have them as the clear cut #1 team in this division - and the conference.

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 02:38:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Orlando Magic

PG - George Hill, Jarrett Jack
SG - Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter
SF - Ron Artest, Ronnie Brewer
PF - Paul Millsap, Nick Collison
 C - Omer Asik, Amar'e Stoudemire

End of Bench: S.Telfair, M.Harkless, A.Gray
Coach: Eric Spoelstra

Supporting Cast

I thought Orlando did an exceptional job filling it's supporting cast.

A high level defensive center and board cleaner in Omer Asik. A very well rounded and skilled big forward in Paul Millsap. A top notch defensive PG who has a low usage and strong off the ball game to complement with Kobe Bryant.

And the bench is stellar.

A 6th man of the year candidate in Amare Stoudemire. I thought Amare was devastating offensively for New York last season. The improvement in his post game was a gorgeous sight to see.

One of the best backup guards in the league in Jarrett Jack. Someone who can play both on and off the ball. Can play alongside Kobe Bryant or alongside George Hill in a two combo-guard backcourt.

A pair of really good backup wings in Ronnie Brewer and Vince Carter. Ronnie Brewer brings a lot of defensive talent to the table. Vince brings offensive punch. Nice contrast in skill-sets. Both players can play SF and SG. Interchangeable.

Nick Collison is a very, very good backup big man. Very tough defensive PF and a good mobile backup defensive C. A good rebounder. A smart offensive player who passes the ball well. A great glue guy off the bench.

The bench is incredible. Best in the East by a long mile. Adds major value to the team. Also important because while the starting five is very well suited to Kobe's lead, it does lack a bit in top level talent. Paul Millsap the only other star player there. So having a top notch bench was vital.

Not wild about Ron Artest. I think he can make a fine backup SF but is too erratic offensively nowadays to be a starter logging minutes. No longer dominant enough defensively to make up for his errors offensively.

Kobe Bryant

This is my big problem with the team. I just cannot get behind a 35 year old two guard who has logged 54,000 minutes in the NBA coming off an injury as severe as a torn achilles.

I just don't have enough confidence in Kobe being able to play anywhere near where he was last season for LA. And with that, so goes Orlando's season.

Head Coach

I really like Erik Spoelstra. I think he will do a very strong job here and adds good value to the team.

Overall

I think the supporting cast is so well built and so strong that I think Orlando still has a shot at a low seed playoff spot even with Kobe running at 60% next season. It is going to be a close call though.

I can't say enough good things about how dominant this team's bench is and how well put together this entire supporting cast is. Fantastic team building.

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 02:41:54 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Every team but Miami: Why is your team better than Miami? Currently I have them as the clear cut #1 team in this division - and the conference.

Interesting question.  Here's a question for you, why do you have Miami as the clear cut favorite?  I think Atlanta is probably the team to beat in both the division and conference (my Bucks will be there with them though).

Strong perimeter play matters, and the Hawks have it in spades.

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 02:43:31 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Orlando:  Prove to me Amare can actually be counted on for anything other than collecting a check.  In my eyes he is washed up and useless.