Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Southeast Division Press Conferences  (Read 24867 times)

2013 CB Draft: Southeast Division Press Conferences
« on: September 01, 2013, 01:32:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Here, each of the GMs representing a team in the Southeast Division will provide an introduction / summary of their team, draft strategy, etc.  Other members should ask questions (directed to one or more GMs), and those GMs should attempt to answer the questions as well as they can.

For those participating, the opening blurbs can include some or all of the following:

1. Roster / depth chart
2. Statistics
3. Pictures
4. Statement regarding drafting philosophy (building for the future, contending now, etc.)
5. Toughest decision
6. Best move (trade, pick, etc.) / worst move
7. Your outlook for this coming season

It can be as substantial or as abbreviated as you want it to be.  These threads are open to all members, not just those posters who participated in the draft.  The more participation we get, the better.

==============================================================
Atlanta Hawks: Champkind

Orlando Magic: foulweatherfan

Miami Heat: KCattheStripe

Washington Wizards: RebusRankin

Please, no questions until after all five teams have posted their pressers or until noon of the day of the pressers.  This thread should be reserved for the GMs to put up and work on their pressers until then.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 09:52:53 AM by nickagneta »

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Southeast Division Press Conferences
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 06:14:39 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

2013-14 ORLANDO KOBES

PRESS PLAY WHEN READY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWKQiZVBtu4

INTRODUCING! HIS YOUR! ORLANDO! KOOOOOOOOOOOBES!!!

The Deep Bench

C Aaron Gray
PG Sebastian Telfair
SG/SF Ronnie Brewer

…LADIES AND GENTLEMEN THE DEEP BENCH!!!

The Guys Who Will Actually Play

The Kid – Mo Harkless (SF)

Key stats (note -all stats per36 for last season unless otherwise noted):  11.4 pts, 6 reb, 1.6 stl, 1.1 blk
Primary Role: Athleticism, wing D, corner 3s, garbage buckets, protecting minutes from Ronnie Brewer.

The Hustler – Nick Collison (PF/C)

Key stats: .624 TS%, .158 Win Share/48, 9.4 pts, 7.6 reb, 2.8 ast, 1.2 stl, believes in himself 100%
Primary Role: High-effort play, rebounding, two-way efficiency, Intangibles.

The Option – Jarrett Jack (PG/SG)

Key stats: 15.7 pts, 6.7 ast, 3.7 reb, 15.9 PER, .115 WS/48
Primary Role: Playmaking, 3 guard lineups, backing up Kobe and Hill.  Will play a lot at 2 when Kobe can't.

Le STAT – Amar’e Stoudemire (PF/C)

Key stats: 21.8 pts, 7.7 reb, 1.1 blk, .637 TS%, 22.1 PER, .191 WS/48
Primary Role: Dominant bench scoring, post play, pick + roll O, rejuvenation

The Enforcer – Metta World Peace (SF/PF)

Key stats: 13.2 pts, 5.3 reb, 1.7 stl
Primary Role: Defense, Physicality, Amiable Insanity.  Part-time starter.

The Probably Still 20-25% Amazing - Vince Carter (SG/SF)

Key stats: 18.7 pts, 5.7 reb, 3.3 ast, .406 3pt%, 17.8 PER, .137 WS/48
Primary Role: Floor spacing, Scoring, secondary playmaking, 3pt shooter, occasional bench spark.  Regular starter.

The Big Man – Omer Asik (C)

Key stats: 12.2 pts, 14.0 reb, 1.3 blk, 54.1% FG, 31% DRB%, .108 WS/48
Primary Role: Rim protection, pick+roll D, rebounding, screens (seriously), efficient finishing on O.

The Point – George Hill (PG)

Key stats: 14.8 pts, 4.9 ast, 1.1 stl, .368 3pt%, 16.6 PER, .177 WS/48
Primary Role: Pick and roll D, ball-handling, secondary playmaker, floor spacing.

The Leatherman – Paul Millsap (PF)

Key stats: 17.2 pts, 8.4 reb, 3.0 ast, 1.5 blk, 1.2 stl, 19.8 PER, .154 WS/48
Primary Role: All-around solid, smart play.  Being criminally underrated. Basically, Josh Smith with good shot selection.  Confusing S+M community with nickname.

The Man – Kobe Bryant

Key stats: 5 championships.
Primary Role: Go get the 6th.

Everybody’s favorite non-Celtic, Kobe Bryant doesn’t just have 5 rings, 7 conference titles, 31,000+ pts, 220 playoff appearances, a ferocious work ethic and will to win, supreme conditioning, striking good looks, and final edit on all press conferences.  He also has the best team around him since his championship years.  The first ones.

The Coach – Eric Spoelstra

Key stats: Last 2 NBA Championships, Last 3  Finals.  Voted "Dreamiest Pro Coach Alive" by Teen Vogue magazine*.  One of the smartest, hardest working coaches out there, who builds around talent as well as any coach in the league.

*list compiled prior to Brad Stevens hire

Drafting Philosophy

I already had Kobe when I took over, so my main priority was building a team that worked well with him.  And what works well with the greatest winner of his generation is a roster full of guys who know how to win.  It’s not a coincidence that you see so many high WS/48 stats up there; like any stat it has its limitations, but I consistently sought out guys who played smart, efficient, winning basketball, and their advanced stats typically reflect that. 

I also looked for players who not only shone in the numbers, but who had experience in the real game – the past playoff success that is so crucial in an exercise like this.  8 of my top 9 players have been rotation players in a conference finals, and if Brewer supplants Harkless it’ll be 9 out of the top 10.  There are few shiny flavor-of-the-week names on this team, no “think of his potential!”  or “someday stardom” guys that so often fall short.  Instead, we have savvy, effective veterans at or near the peak of their abilities who have climbed the mountain before and want to get there again. 

From elite defenders to versatile, do-everything talents at guard and forward to top rebounders to an arsenal of bench weapons, the Orlando Kobes can stand toe-to-toe with absolutely any team in the league, overwhelming opponents with versatile lineups, throttling D, efficient O, and an excellent, deep bench.  And come the Fake Playoffs, a lot of teams are gonna find out all about it. 

Rotations

I hate specifying minutes because there are so many factors to consider, but here are some frequent situational lineups for us:

Starters (no Kobe):
Hill/VC/MWP/Millsap/Asik
Starters (Kobe returns): Hill/Kobe/VC (sometimes MWP)/Millsap/Asik
Buckets: Jack/Kobe/VC/Millsap/Amar’e
Shutdown: Hill/Kobe/MWP/Millsap/Asik
Small-ball Defense: Hill/Brewer/Kobe/MWP/Asik or Collison
Crunch-time ahead: Hill/ Kobe/MWP/Millsap/Amar’e
Crunch-time behind: Hill/Jack/Kobe/Millsap or Carter (depending on deficit)/Amar’e
Closeout (FTs to clinch): Hill/Jack/Kobe/Carter/Amar’e – all 80+% from line.

There’s a lot more I could say, but this is probably more than enough for now.  Please post questions at any time and I'll be happy to answer all of them after 1 PM today.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:13:08 AM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 12:53:40 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JJPqA-KwOw

ARE YOU READY CELTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICS BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOG?
The Roster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNLL_lxL-bQ

PG:Tony Parker, Andre Miller, DJ Augistin
SG: Lance Stephenson ,Alexey Shved, Anthony Morrow,
SF: Chandler Parsons, John Salmons, Omri Casspi
PF: Chris Bosh, Kevin Seraphin,
C: Tiago Splitter, Samuel Dalembert
Coach: Alvin Gentry

Strategy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmd4OLzhQw0

Did you notice something about this team? Raise you hand if you have  three players that were in this year's finals?

Go ahead. Double check your roster. I'll wait.

Miami's roster is not only chalk full of talent, but it's talent that has been wildly successful in the playoffs as starters as recently as last year. This is a team primed to win this year.

As for how the team will actually run, 2007 NBA Finals MVP and the most proven point guard in the league, Tony Parker is obviously the engine that stirs the drink. And outside of this past year's Spurs, I think this team may be the most well suited to him I've seen. A defensive minded 2 guard who can score, a versatile do it all small forward whose national profile is increasing. A two time champion PF who can stretch the floor and big bruising center.

Tony Parker+ Chris Bosh+ Versatile and multi-talented supporting cast= Championship.

But honestly, I feel like this team has been talked about a lot ( And hat tip to all of you for your wonderful analysis and advice) so feel free to ask more pointed questions if you feel I've glossed over something that was never talked about.

Hardest Decision

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmIlUKo4dQc

Without a doubt, trading Gordon Hayward. I really, really like Hayward and fair warning to the DKC Jazz, I'm coming hard after him next summer. But I really think that Stephenson and Splitter bring a defensive presence my team needed on the wing and post.

Best Decision

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh4AnWyk

Going talent over fit in rounds two and five and taking Josh Smith and Steve Nash.

Outlook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGXzlRoNtHU

Ring or bust.

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 10:41:22 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Atlanta Hawks:

PG: Jameer Nelson, Jeremy Lin
SG: Dwyane Wade, Randy Foye, Nick Young
SF: Paul Pierce, Gerald Henderson
PF: Carlos Boozer, John Henson, Mirza Teletovic
C: Nene, DeJuan Blair, Alex Len

Rotation: (Player, estimated minutes, PER at position via 82games). AN = as needed, but not a regular role.

PG: Nelson (28, 14.2), Lin (20, 15.0), Foye (AN, 9.4)
SG: Wade (30, 26.3), Henderson (10, 15.9), Foye (8, 11.0), Young (AN, 11.6)
SF: Pierce (30, 20.1), Henderson (18, 17.1),
PF: Boozer (30, 18.1), Henson (18, 19.5), Teletovic (AN,11.2)
C: Nene (28,18.6), Blair (10,15.6), Len (10, 24.5 in college)

Numbers subject to change. Things like Nelson's age, Teletovic and Lin having bounce-back seasons, and Len's injury will dictate how minutes are earned, so don't take those #s as set in granite.

The most important thing - The 8-man playoff rotation:

Nelson, Lin, Wade, Henderson, Pierce, Boozer, Nene, and one of the Henson/Blair/Len troika, depending on how the season turns out. Blair has playoff experience, but as a bit player (8.1 mpg), so while he'll have the early edge, the athleticism of Henson/Len could be the difference maker there.

Trades: Only 1. My most trade-free draft of all time. Moved down in the 5th to pick up an extra 6th and 7th. That came out to:

Demar DeRozan and Udonis Haslem

for

Jameer Nelson and Gerald Henderson

Strategy?: 2 NBA Finals MVPs (Wade, Pierce) lead this veteran team, but their old man strength is complemented by a young, athletic core on the second team. Every member of the starting five has been an important piece of a playoff team in the past. Our coach is Kevin Stallings. I clearly don't take the coaching selection part of this game that seriously.

Sadly, I have to get on a flight to the west coast in an hour, and before that I have to do some office and blog work (these previews of Austin Peay football are basically unlimited page views), so my responses may be limited. I promise that isn't due to any personal bias (with a few notable exceptions) (Lucky, TWW) (and also IP). I apologize in advance for missing any key talking points, but understand that my response would have just been some form of "OLD MAN STRENGTH" or "GET OFF OUR LAWN."

Thanks.

Love,

CK

CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 11:27:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Hawks:

How to you expect to utilize your PGs?

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 11:31:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Heat:

I love your starting line up.

Sell me on your bench, I see one guy I like on it and he's quite old.

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 11:52:23 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
Heat:

Absolutely fair question, especially because of some of the names on that bench are known to bring out the skeptics on celticsblog, so we'll start with them first.

Samuel Dalembert lost a starting job in Milwaukee to the emergence of Larry Sanders but in Dalemberts limited playing time (16 mpg)  he averaged 7 points 6 boards and a block a game with a per of 18.60. That's pretty excellent for your first big off the bench and he performed so well that Dallas traded for him so they could have him start next to Dirk. He brings post defense and his offensive game allows him to play next to Bosh or Splitter, so he's an ideal 3rd big man for this team, which fortunately is a role he excelled at last year.

The other elephant in the room is John Salmons. Notoriously a bit of a ball hog but his time in Chicago proved that all he needed was to get into a good environment again to become a productive player. He still shot nearly 37% from deep last year as a starter and averaged above his career numbers in assists for a pretty god awful Sacramento team last year. Whole no longer a great option as a starter, I think Salmons will thrive as a bench wing with all these pieces surrounding him.

Alexy Shved was an important piece to the Timberwolves last year as a member of 3 of their 5 best units. He thrived as the bigger guard next to another playmaker , allowing the Twolves to run a pnr from either guard position. He'll do much the same here.

Kevin Seraphin is a strong athletic PF who would only see minutes if we're crushing teams-- so he could see a bunch of minutes actually-- and if something bad happened to the other three bigs-- so he'll never see time then--.

I'm assuming Andre Miller was the guy you loved and I have to say, " Me too".

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 11:53:28 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Hawks:

How to you expect to utilize your PGs?

Nelson starts, and with a high-powered offense he'll be counted on to distribute and shoot threes - two jobs he can handle with veteran aplomb. Lin is a dicier situation. He'll earn more minutes as needed, but his main role will be as a microwave scorer from the 2nd unit. However, since Nelson's veteran status also means that he's aging and could use some rest on back-to-backs, Lin will have the opportunity to play minutes with the first team as the season goes on. He'll have to curb his high-usage ways in order to fit in with Wade/Pierce/Boozer, but he'll have plenty of chances to prove that he can be a key piece of a winning team.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 12:08:57 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Questions for the SE Teams

Miami

I loved the bold move of building your franchise around Tony Parker. He is an equally excellent scorer and facilitator and the shooting you surrounded him with (Bosh, Parsons, Shved, Morrow, Salmons) should bode well for the cohesiveness of your lineup. However, two of your better bench players are both point guards and likely won't see many minutes. As a result, you are extremely thin at the wing position. How do you expect to match up against the other teams in your division who all feature a roster heavy on wing talent?

Atlanta

Your team is filled with star talent, starter talent, and quality rotation player talent and I expect you to contend. How do you envision your starting lineup fitting together?

Orlando

This is one of my favorite teams in the East and I think - if healthy - would be a clear cut favorite. How would you respond to a critic that says your team lacks the talent without Bryant and Stoudemire to make noise? I know injuries are a poor detractor to a fantasy team, but with those two players - who are vital to your team's success - it becomes a relevant issue.

Washington

You have a great, young team that I think would be in position to grow together and make a run at a title 3-5 years from now. How do you respond to the notion that your team is too inexperienced to make an extended playoff run?
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 12:16:26 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
McP:  I understand that ESPN lists Shved as a PG, but he's 6'6" and played most of his minutes at the 2 last year and was effective, so I'm not worried about Shved off the bench. Salmons will be an effective role player as a wing , so I'm not worried about wing depth especially because Stephenson and Parsons are young and capable of handling big minutes.

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 12:17:49 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I am leaning towards Washington as the best team in this division. Then probably Atlanta. With Miami and Orlando fighting it out for third and fourth.

Very tight division. Not much separation between the four teams.

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 12:25:29 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Heat:

Absolutely fair question, especially because of some of the names on that bench are known to bring out the skeptics on celticsblog, so we'll start with them first.

Samuel Dalembert lost a starting job in Milwaukee to the emergence of Larry Sanders but in Dalemberts limited playing time (16 mpg)  he averaged 7 points 6 boards and a block a game with a per of 18.60. That's pretty excellent for your first big off the bench and he performed so well that Dallas traded for him so they could have him start next to Dirk. He brings post defense and his offensive game allows him to play next to Bosh or Splitter, so he's an ideal 3rd big man for this team, which fortunately is a role he excelled at last year.

The other elephant in the room is John Salmons. Notoriously a bit of a ball hog but his time in Chicago proved that all he needed was to get into a good environment again to become a productive player. He still shot nearly 37% from deep last year as a starter and averaged above his career numbers in assists for a pretty god awful Sacramento team last year. Whole no longer a great option as a starter, I think Salmons will thrive as a bench wing with all these pieces surrounding him.

Alexy Shved was an important piece to the Timberwolves last year as a member of 3 of their 5 best units. He thrived as the bigger guard next to another playmaker , allowing the Twolves to run a pnr from either guard position. He'll do much the same here.

Kevin Seraphin is a strong athletic PF who would only see minutes if we're crushing teams-- so he could see a bunch of minutes actually-- and if something bad happened to the other three bigs-- so he'll never see time then--.

I'm assuming Andre Miller was the guy you loved and I have to say, " Me too".

This was my question too so fair assessment here. I've always loved Miller as well and I personally also like Dalembert. I wasn't sold on the rest of your bench.

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 12:43:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Orlando:Discuss your team's expectations if Kobe's miracle drugs of healing do not work and he is out for an extended period of time. Also, even if he does return early, can Kobe, ay his age, still lead a team to the promised land?

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 12:46:34 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Sort of a side note on Miami's previous team,

I loved the Josh Smith (PF) and Chris Bosh (C) combination. I was very disappointed when that was broken up. I thought they would have been incredibly difficult for most teams to matchup against with their speed and quickness.

I was hoping Miami would build a very aggressive trapping defense around them. Targeting perimeter players with plus size who were high level athletes wherever possible. I thought with C.Parsons, G.Hayward and S.Nash; they had the size part of it but not the athleticism to play the type of physical pressing defense I would've loved to have seen alongside Josh Smith (PF) and Chris Bosh (C). Try to get dribble penetration and floor spacing on offense.

I think Bosh (C) and J.Smith (PF) would've worked very well together in many different perimeter combinations because they are both just so bloody good ... but I think that type of perimeter play would've been special.

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 12:47:39 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Kind of the same question for Atlanta:

I love your starting five. Pretty deadly. I feel your bench is weak so sell me on how they can back up your starters.