Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Northwest Division Press Conferences  (Read 49753 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Northwest Division Press Conferences
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
For all the questions about needing so many balls in Portland, I gotta say, they have a 2008 Celtics feel to it. Three guys that can possible sacrifice quantity of scoring for efficiency and quality, a superduperstar, a tough, defensive mind combo forward with heart and some offensive skill, and a role playing, young center. And if Bynum is healthy and in the equation, then this might be the team to beat in the league.

None of Jennings, Johnson, or Melo strikes me as someone who'd willing to be sacrifice like the C's Big Three. We already know the "sacrifice" Johnson is willing to make (a whopping one less shot attempt!), and I need to wire you a sizable amount of money if you can convince Jennings and Melo to take less shots. And this isn't even considering Bynum...

Portland has a ton of raw individual talent but with their level of dysfunctionality (and dependence on the health of basically the one guy in the whole league you SHOULDN'T be depending on the health of), I think this team will be one of the many victims who deserve to make the playoffs but simply can't due to the overall strength of the conference.

« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Point is, regardless of the numbers, we will attack Calderon with Lowry and Lillard. He's a bad defender and he allowed 5 points on two screen and rolls. If that's the case, then will run more screen and rolls until he figures out how to stop it. Until then, expect Lillard and Lowry to do damage, whether by shooting or creating for others because Jose could not keep them in his front.

And you can't say the same about Denver's PG. Lowry is Lock-Down and Lillard, while not as good, is certainly developing that skill as he gets on.

Don't you think Lillard would have scored way more points if exposing Calderon on the pick-and-roll is as easy as you make it out to be?

Anyway, I digress. I probably extended this conversation longer than it needed to be considering this isn't even the Pacific Division thread... it's just frustrating how much inconsistency is put behind Calderon defense arguments.

« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2013, 04:39:29 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Yoki:
With regards to your claims about Maxiell/Monroe. What do you mean by +22? +22 indicates what exactly and how is it meaningful for your team with Bogut/Monroe?

Maxiell and Monroe together for 606 minutes posted a +22 on the plus-minus.

How is it meaningful? It is because they posted postive +/- numbers all while Maxiell is not in Bogut's level as it comes to talent and basketball IQ. Simply put, Bogut can do so much better than Maxiell in a lot of ways, helping Monroe better, not clogging the lanes and in turn, posting better +/- numbers.
Greg Monroe and Jason Maxiell played together 1510 minutes and 53 seconds this past season.

What happened to the missing 904 minutes? Perhaps more importantly what happened during those 904 minutes?

Okay, I'm not good at the numbers game and overlooked the rest. Yep, they also have a -62 with Calderon, Stuckey and Singler (talk about no defense).

But that's beyond the point. Guess I used the wrong medium to prove an argument. What I'm saying is Bogut is much more better in any facets than Maxiell and Drummond on some cases. Monroe had shares of downs and ups with those two. Replace them with a Center who plays high pick and roll, giving him space, and excellent passer and someone who can hide him defensively and he'll get better success numbers, maybe better +/- numbers than Maxiell can help him get.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2013, 04:44:37 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Point is, regardless of the numbers, we will attack Calderon with Lowry and Lillard. He's a bad defender and he allowed 5 points on two screen and rolls. If that's the case, then will run more screen and rolls until he figures out how to stop it. Until then, expect Lillard and Lowry to do damage, whether by shooting or creating for others because Jose could not keep them in his front.

And you can't say the same about Denver's PG. Lowry is Lock-Down and Lillard, while not as good, is certainly developing that skill as he gets on.

Don't you think Lillard would have scored way more points if exposing Calderon on the pick-and-roll is as easy as you make it out to be?

Anyway, I digress. I probably extended this conversation longer than it needed to be considering this isn't even the Pacific Division thread... it's just frustrating how much inconsistency is put behind Calderon defense arguments.

Sure he would, which is why they had to put Lowry and on certain occasions Ross in front Lillard because maybe, just maybe he's getting exposed.

Otherwise he would be playing more than 23 minutes that game. I'm pretty sure he's too good offensively to not log in 30. I mean I'm working on logic here so take it for what it's worth.

« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2013, 04:45:38 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
For all the questions about needing so many balls in Portland, I gotta say, they have a 2008 Celtics feel to it. Three guys that can possible sacrifice quantity of scoring for efficiency and quality, a superduperstar, a tough, defensive mind combo forward with heart and some offensive skill, and a role playing, young center. And if Bynum is healthy and in the equation, then this might be the team to beat in the league.

None of Jennings, Johnson, or Melo strikes me as someone who'd willing to be sacrifice like the C's Big Three. We already know the "sacrifice" Johnson is willing to make (a whopping one less shot attempt!), and I need to wire you a sizable amount of money if you can convince Jennings and Melo to take less shots. And this isn't even considering Bynum...

Portland has a ton of raw individual talent but with their level of dysfunctionality (and dependence on the health of basically the one guy in the whole league you SHOULDN'T be depending on the health of), I think this team will be one of the many victims who deserve to make the playoffs but simply can't due to the overall strength of the conference.

You forgot Bynum, especially not him. Or he might hit someone in the deck for lack of shots.

Edit. Nevermind, I saw it.

I can only imagine how much decline in PPG Jennings, Bynum or Joe will have.

Not to mention, the decline of points production of Kanter, I doubt he'll get more than 6 shots with this squad. Unless of course Jennings is willing to take just 10. But, talking about wasting talent, Jennings having just 10 shots a game is wasting talent.

« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2013, 04:49:05 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Greg Monroe: 27% jump shooter
Andrew Bogut 27% jump shooter

Not a problem?

Bogut plays high pick and roll, and as I mentioned a bunch of times already, if he has the ball on the top of the key, he does damage outside of mid range shooting. He can find people from and with a solid supporting cast of shooters, the floor will be stretched to have Monroe being the only guy down low and all Andrew needs to do is give him a pass.

If you lay low on Bogut, he will put it on the floor, which he is good at. Now two things will happen from there.

a.) The defense collapses on him, in turn opening up Monroe, a cutter or a shooter for the pass, like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aE3pIt2he8

or...

b.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv9akgLJBzc

So spacing won't be an issue with Bogut and Monroe on the floor.

I think you should give those vids a second watch and look who is playing PF. A Sir Harrison Barnes, esquire.

All 4 of the other guys were a threat from range, nevermind 10 feet. So all those acres of space you see that Bogut cruised through? When Monroe is on the floor the C and the PF are both packing the lane, which also hurts penetration from the perimeter, hurts offensive rebounding, yadda yadda.

I think its not gonna cripple you or anything, or keep you out of the playoffs, I'm just saying you're not gonna get the most out of both players or out of your talented perimeter players by giving them time together on the floor.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2013, 04:51:11 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
And if Bynum is healthy...

I'm really tired of reading this and chuckling out loud to myself.

Can I draft Michael Jordan and say "well if Jordan at 50 plays like Jordan at 30, then we absolutely take home to trophy..?

Both things have about equal chance of happening.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2403
Portland

PG: Brandon Jennings, D.Collison
SG: Joe Johnson, KCP
SF: Carmelo Anthony, A.Bennett
PF: Andrei Kirilenko, T.Thompson
 C: Enes Kanter, Z.Pachulia

Injury - Andrew Bynum - not comfortable giving A.Bynum credit until he plays a relatively healthy season again. 
End of Bench - Jason Maxiell, Jordan Crawford

Starters

Very strong 2 through 4. Melo 2nd best SF in conference. JJ top 2/3 SG. Lots of physical size. Tough to matchup against. Andre Kirilenko middle of the pack starting PF. Very skilled. Quick versatile defender. Work very well together. Interchangeable. Can switch a lot on defense. Multiple ball-handlers and passers on offense.

I think Brandon Jennings is a solid starting PG. I expect Enes Kanter to be a solid starting C capable of having a 15/10 type season. Kanter not the strongest defender. Defense 1-4 should be pretty solid. Only high level defender is Kirilenko.

Bench

Darren Collison a strong backup PG. Zaza is a middle of the pack backup C. I like Tristan Thompson's defense and rebounding but not his offensive game. Solid backup PF.

The two backup wings, the rookies, KCP and A.Bennett, I don't trust to play productive minutes next season. I think those backup wings are a major weak point for the bench. I would have loved some stronger SGs/SFs to take advantage of JJ's (SG/SF) + Melo's (SF/PF) versatility.

Jason Maxiell a very strong third string forward. Greatly dislike Jordan Crawford.

Coach - neutral value for Scotty Brooks. Middle of the pack.

Thoughts

I think Kirilenko is the one key player on the team who brings other players together. Makes them together as a team. Facilitates on offense. Active on defense. Brings the best out of people around them.

I think there is quite a bit selfishness amongst Carmelo, JJ and B.Jennings. I worry about the three of them together. I think 2/3 can work together but all 3 alongside one another for long minutes worries me. I think Kanter is mostly out to prove himself at this stage of his career too. Wants touches, wants shots, wants to establish himself on offense rather than defense. 

I would really like to put JJ on the bench to improve ball movement in starting lineup but no viable options off the bench to do so. Or have a low usage PG to start (like M.Chalmers or George Hill) and bring B.Jennings off the bench as a change of pace PG. Being able to do either one of those would go a long way for me.

Overall

Borderline playoff team

« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2013, 04:54:57 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Not a problem?

Bogut plays high pick and roll, and as I mentioned a bunch of times already, if he has the ball on the top of the key, he does damage outside of mid range shooting. He can find people from and with a solid supporting cast of shooters, the floor will be stretched to have Monroe being the only guy down low and all Andrew needs to do is give him a pass.

If you lay low on Bogut, he will put it on the floor, which he is good at. Now two things will happen from there.

a.) The defense collapses on him, in turn opening up Monroe, a cutter or a shooter for the pass, like this...

or...

b.)

I think you should give those vids a second watch and look who is playing PF. A Sir Harrison Barnes, esquire.

All 4 of the other guys were a threat from range, nevermind 10 feet. So all those acres of space you see that Bogut cruised through? When Monroe is on the floor the C and the PF are both packing the lane, which also hurts penetration from the perimeter, hurts offensive rebounding, yadda yadda.

I think its not gonna cripple you or anything, or keep you out of the playoffs, I'm just saying you're not gonna get the most out of both players or out of your talented perimeter players by giving them time together on the floor.

First, Lee, Webster and Chanlder can stretch the floor far enough. Two, even with Monroe in the middle the point is still the same, if Bogut gets the ball on the top of the key and his man closes on to him, he just needs to dump it downlow to Monroe who now is set up one on one with his man, and I like that chance. And we both know how good of a passer Andrew is.

If the defender backs down, Bogut will dribble. The defense collapse, he pass, maybe down low where Monroe is waiting for a drop. The defense dont, he dunks it served with Australian power.

And don't underestimate Bogut's skills, you leave him one on one on an open paint he'll do damage, whether by hook (shot) or assists.

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2013, 04:55:56 PM »

Offline riah32

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 94
i havent read through the questions in the thread yet, and i apologize if this has been asked, but:

to all teams....what seed do you rank your team your conference (not division) and why do you rank them there?

i am voting, so along with your rosters and pressers, this is your opportunity to try and make a case to this voter.

thx

I would say I rank my team about a 3 seed or a 4 seed. I know there might be chemistry issues and guys not wanted to give up shots but I think they will all mesh together. I have a deep and talented team who are comprised of veterans and young talent.
Indiana Pacers-Celticsblog Draft Team

« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2403
The West is ridiculous. Very hard to find 4 teams to leave out of playoffs.

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2013, 05:01:02 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Not a problem?

or...

b.)

First, Lee, Webster and Chanlder can stretch the floor far enough. Two, even with Monroe in the middle the point is still the same, if Bogut gets the ball on the top of the key and his man closes on to him, he just needs to dump it downlow to Monroe who now is set up one on one with his man, and I like that chance. And we both know how good of a passer Andrew is.

If the defender backs down, Bogut will dribble. The defense collapse, he pass, maybe down low where Monroe is waiting for a drop. The defense dont, he dunks it served with Australian power.

And don't underestimate Bogut's skills, you leave him one on one on an open paint he'll do damage, whether by hook (shot) or assists.

Well, you're persistent I'll give ya that. I don't think it'll work out the way you think it will, but TP for sticking to your guns.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2013, 05:01:29 PM »

Offline riah32

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 94
Portland

PG: Brandon Jennings, D.Collison
SG: Joe Johnson, KCP
SF: Carmelo Anthony, A.Bennett
PF: Andrei Kirilenko, T.Thompson
 C: Enes Kanter, Z.Pachulia

Injury - Andrew Bynum - not comfortable giving A.Bynum credit until he plays a relatively healthy season again. 
End of Bench - Jason Maxiell, Jordan Crawford

Starters

Very strong 2 through 4. Melo 2nd best SF in conference. JJ top 2/3 SG. Lots of physical size. Tough to matchup against. Andre Kirilenko middle of the pack starting PF. Very skilled. Quick versatile defender. Work very well together. Interchangeable. Can switch a lot on defense. Multiple ball-handlers and passers on offense.

I think Brandon Jennings is a solid starting PG. I expect Enes Kanter to be a solid starting C capable of having a 15/10 type season. Kanter not the strongest defender. Defense 1-4 should be pretty solid. Only high level defender is Kirilenko.

Bench

Darren Collison a strong backup PG. Zaza is a middle of the pack backup C. I like Tristan Thompson's defense and rebounding but not his offensive game. Solid backup PF.

The two backup wings, the rookies, KCP and A.Bennett, I don't trust to play productive minutes next season. I think those backup wings are a major weak point for the bench. I would have loved some stronger SGs/SFs to take advantage of JJ's (SG/SF) + Melo's (SF/PF) versatility.

Jason Maxiell a very strong third string forward. Greatly dislike Jordan Crawford.

Coach - neutral value for Scotty Brooks. Middle of the pack.

Thoughts

I think Kirilenko is the one key player on the team who brings other players together. Makes them together as a team. Facilitates on offense. Active on defense. Brings the best out of people around them.

I think there is quite a bit selfishness amongst Carmelo, JJ and B.Jennings. I worry about the three of them together. I think 2/3 can work together but all 3 alongside one another for long minutes worries me. I think Kanter is mostly out to prove himself at this stage of his career too. Wants touches, wants shots, wants to establish himself on offense rather than defense. 

I would really like to put JJ on the bench to improve ball movement in starting lineup but no viable options off the bench to do so. Or have a low usage PG to start (like M.Chalmers or George Hill) and bring B.Jennings off the bench as a change of pace PG. Being able to do either one of those would go a long way for me.

Overall

Borderline playoff team

I totally disagree that this is a boarderline playoff team. There is no way this team can miss the playoffs. Everyone is worried about there not being enough shots but someone name one of these players that has played on a team this talented before except for maybe Joe Johnson in Phoneix but I think this team is better and more talented. I think you need to give Bynum some credit.
Indiana Pacers-Celticsblog Draft Team

« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2013, 05:02:57 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
I totally disagree that this is a boarderline playoff team. There is no way this team can miss the playoffs. Everyone is worried about there not being enough shots but someone name one of these players that has played on a team this talented before except for maybe Joe Johnson in Phoneix but I think this team is better and more talented. I think you need to give Bynum some credit.

Lakers barely made the playoffs last season in one of the weakest Western Conferences in years. Just because you have talent doesn't exactly mean it'll come together.

« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2013, 05:05:17 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Didn't realize this until I looked: Jason Maxiell had a pretty nice season last year. Best of his career, statistically.

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Jason%20Maxiell

Started 71 games, 72 games played. His TS%, FG% across the board, and his PER differential all compare well with Bogut's.

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Andrew+Bogut
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague