Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Northwest Division Press Conferences  (Read 49514 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Northwest Division Press Conferences
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2013, 03:52:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Greg Monroe: 27% jump shooter
Andrew Bogut 27% jump shooter

Not a problem?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2013, 03:53:40 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Zach Lowe has been pretty critical of the defensive shortcomings of Lillard and Monroe. Substantively, on Monroe here:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9480183/josh-smith-future-detroit-pistons

Monroe is a very good offensive player, but he's a glaring liability on defense in a league getting smaller and quicker. He's a turnstile trying to contain the pick-and-roll out on the floor — a mess of bad footwork, poor timing, lazy reaches, and bad choices. When Detroit has him hang back at the foul line, ball handlers can zip around him with an easy crossover or launch wide-open jumpers as Monroe, petrified at giving up a rim run, retreats a step farther than most bigs would dare — often with his arms down. Pistons fans complained, with some justification, about Lawrence Frank's reluctance to play Monroe and Drummond together for much of last season, but Monroe's total inability to guard stretchier power forwards factored into that choice — just as it should factor into Detroit's evaluation of things now.

. . . .

Most of Monroe's issues are common among young big men. Drummond shares some of the same poor habits. But Monroe has three years under his belt, he's up for a big-money extension, he's shown very little (if any) improvement as a defender in the NBA, and he lacks Drummond's motor or athleticism.

I think Denver could struggle defensively against a team employing a quick or stretch four.

Early season comments on Lillard:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8680469/what-sixers-trade-andrew-bynum

Most rookies struggle on defense, and Lillard's offensive game is ahead of even the highest expectations, so all is good here in the big picture. But Lillard has really struggled defensively. He's often caught way out of position against on-ball screens, and sometimes gets stuck so far under them as to take himself out of the play. He's had major trouble navigating off-ball screens, and Deron Williams, a master at moving around the court without the ball, got away from Lillard over and over — until Terry Stotts hid Lillard on Keith Bogans. Dion Waiters is having some of the same issues, and Kyrie Irving did last year; Williams could still be seen two weeks ago in Brooklyn shaking Irving via a thicket of off-ball screens. Lillard will get it, but in the meantime, it's almost a relief to be reminded that point guard defense does matter.

And later at the end of the season:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9603329/the-portland-trail-blazers-refurbished-roster

Lillard was a train wreck defensively for most of last season, struggling to read NBA offenses and get through screens both on and off the ball. That's typical for rookies. "He's a proud young man," Stotts says of Lillard. "He's been getting hit hard all offseason about his defense. He wants to show he can do it at both ends."

To his credit, Lillard has reportedly taken such criticism to heart (as a google search of "damian lillard on defense" demonstrates). But, he's still a work in progress.

Question for Yoki: Damian Lillard led the league in minutes last season, at an average of 38+ a night. You've penciled him in for 36 minutes a night, even though his supporting cast is much better than the NBA Blazers' last season (although doesn't sport a second option as talented as Aldridge). Any worries that Lillard will burn out under such continued heavy usage? Or, if he's asked to do less, how will his numbers respond?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2013, 04:01:52 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Also, they are giving Lillard three different looks on a game he scored 18 against the Raptors, it's not that Jose stopped him by himself. Also, Lowry was hurt and coming of off injury which is why Jose started. BTW, didn't Jose got traded instead of Lowry?

Actually, when Calderon/Lowry shared the floor, Lowry was assigned to guard SGs because of his superior strength and athleticism, so Calderon was indeed the guy guarding Lillard. In addition, you're misinformed that Calderon started only because Lowry was fresh off an injury; Calderon outplayed Lowry last season and won the starting gig fair and square. The only reason why Calderon was traded instead of Lowry was because of team fit (Calderon is paid more but was an expiring and didn't fit on a young, rebuilding team), not because Lowry was the better player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLf0YNUhWcM

This highlight showed that when Calderon guard him, he'll score on assits. I mean I know it's the complete game but he did shoot 46% in this game.

And while you're right in a sense that Calderon does stuff better than Lowry, he's still a defensive liability, CB draft-wide and league wide knows that. The Lakers are going to have to put Matthews on Lillard, in turn the Nuggets will exploit Calderon by bringing a faster Lowry or go big with Webster.

You got me, Calderon is better, but he cant defend, and we'll score on him everytime he's on the floor. We'll throw Lillard, Lowry, Barbosa, Burks, Webster on him and let them light it up.

So Calderon will get scored on every time he's facing Lillard? Well thank god the game is only played one on one. Wait a second...

Commentator:

"Lillard brings the ball, calls for Isolation..."

Color Commentary:

"Brilliant, he knows he can take Calderon off the dribble, let him exploit that weakness..."

All I'm saying I suppose is that it seems like a lame argument to point out something we never denied. We didn't try and manipulate a bunch of stupid stats and say "Jose is actually a pretty solid defender!" Every team has its defensive liability.

If we want to go that route, I would absolutely love to watch Greg Monroe come out to the 3 point line and attempt to defend Dirk Nowitzki...
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2013, 04:08:13 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
This highlight showed that when Calderon guard him, he'll score on assits. I mean I know it's the complete game but he did shoot 46% in this game.

And while you're right in a sense that Calderon does stuff better than Lowry, he's still a defensive liability, CB draft-wide and league wide knows that. The Lakers are going to have to put Matthews on Lillard, in turn the Nuggets will exploit Calderon by bringing a faster Lowry or go big with Webster.

You got me, Calderon is better, but he cant defend, and we'll score on him everytime he's on the floor. We'll throw Lillard, Lowry, Barbosa, Burks, Webster on him and let them light it up.

In that video, only 5 of those 18 points were scored with Calderon actually guarding him, and both were due to screens. It's not like Lillard was flat out embarrassing Calderon and taking him off the dribble each possession. Besides, that was the beset game Lillard had of the three matchups; in the other two, he shot 2-14 and 3-12.

Furthermore, we're not rotating anyone to compensate for Calderon. He will be staying on PGs. Honestly, Calderon's a bad defender but this is just getting blown way out of proportion. Calderon allows less points per possession than Lawson, Teague, and others, but I don't hear anyone say "Oh yeah, time for my PG to take Lawson to town!" But all of a sudden when it's Calderon, things like "Lillard will drop 35 on him" are said as if it's a guarantee. I mean, come on now...

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2013, 04:08:46 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Greg Monroe: 27% jump shooter
Andrew Bogut 27% jump shooter

Not a problem?

Why would it be, Monroe played with Maxiell, who's also not a good shooter, and posted a +22 in that Detroit lineup.

Bogut plays high pick and roll, and as I mentioned a bunch of times already, if he has the ball on the top of the key, he does damage outside of mid range shooting. He can find people from and with a solid supporting cast of shooters, the floor will be stretched to have Monroe being the only guy down low and all Andrew needs to do is give him a pass.

If you lay low on Bogut, he will put it on the floor, which he is good at. Now two things will happen from there.

a.) The defense collapses on him, in turn opening up Monroe, a cutter or a shooter for the pass, like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aE3pIt2he8

or...

b.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv9akgLJBzc

So spacing won't be an issue with Bogut and Monroe on the floor.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2013, 04:09:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have Portland, Minnesota and OKC as three of my top 5 teams in the West.

For all the questions about needing so many balls in Portland, I gotta say, they have a 2008 Celtics feel to it. Three guys that can possible sacrifice quantity of scoring for efficiency and quality, a superduperstar, a tough, defensive mind combo forward with heart and some offensive skill, and a role playing, young center. And if Bynum is healthy and in the equation, then this might be the team to beat in the league.

Minnesota has either the best or second best defense in the league and the best player in the league with another player who can score like crazy, when he is on. their small ball lineup will be deadly to most of the rest of the league.

OKC has just amazing talent and depth but the Rose and Howard health bounce back seasons are the most important thing for this team. If Howard and Rose can return to 2011 form, watch out, another possible team to take it all. But can they do that?

Sorry Yoki, great bench teams with very little experience in the starting five do not impress me. You might sneak into the playoffs but you aren't in the same league as these other teams.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 04:38:51 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2013, 04:11:18 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Also, they are giving Lillard three different looks on a game he scored 18 against the Raptors, it's not that Jose stopped him by himself. Also, Lowry was hurt and coming of off injury which is why Jose started. BTW, didn't Jose got traded instead of Lowry?

Actually, when Calderon/Lowry shared the floor, Lowry was assigned to guard SGs because of his superior strength and athleticism, so Calderon was indeed the guy guarding Lillard. In addition, you're misinformed that Calderon started only because Lowry was fresh off an injury; Calderon outplayed Lowry last season and won the starting gig fair and square. The only reason why Calderon was traded instead of Lowry was because of team fit (Calderon is paid more but was an expiring and didn't fit on a young, rebuilding team), not because Lowry was the better player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLf0YNUhWcM

So Calderon will get scored on every time he's facing Lillard? Well thank god the game is only played one on one. Wait a second...

Commentator:

"Lillard brings the ball, calls for Isolation..."

Color Commentary:

"Brilliant, he knows he can take Calderon off the dribble, let him exploit that weakness..."

All I'm saying I suppose is that it seems like a lame argument to point out something we never denied. We didn't try and manipulate a bunch of stupid stats and say "Jose is actually a pretty solid defender!" Every team has its defensive liability.

If we want to go that route, I would absolutely love to watch Greg Monroe come out to the 3 point line and attempt to defend Dirk Nowitzki...

He doesnt have too... Why?

Because we're putting Varejao on him. And then you'll say Monroe will defend Marc Gasol, fine by us. Gasol is not as quick and TBH i'd rather have Gasol try to kill this Denver team than Dirk will.

And we go back to Jose, since he'll have a hard time defending Lillard or Lowry, you have to put in Matthews against them. That's all good, except Jose now has to guard either Lowry, Webster or Barbosa. Oh ow...

« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2013, 04:13:19 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
I think you're off on both counts there. I didn't watch the game, so maybe I'm wrong, but I'd imagine Calderon (6'3, 210) guards Matthews while Lowry (6'0, 173) guards Lillard. That's just science. Doesnt happen once in that vid.

Now, regarding the starting job, he didn't get it back when he returned, but that can be because of a bunch of mitigating factors; one, that Calderon was being showcased, two, that with Calderon on the floor the team was actually playing better, and three, that Lowry actually seems like kind of a jerk if all the stories are true, and is actually not the best guy to have in your locker room

Actually, having taken an interest in Jonas Valanciunas as far back as last offseason, I caught quite a few Raptors game last season (hence the development of my obsession with Amir Johnson). First off, Calderon/Lowry rarely saw time together. Casey's a very defensive-minded coach who would never let that be a fixture of the lineup. However, when Calderon/Lowry did share the floor, Calderon was indeed guarding PGs and Lowry SGs. That bit you saw in the Lillard highlight video is the norm, not the exception.

Also, ask any Raptors fan, beat writer, commentator, staff... Calderon flat out outplayed Lowry last season. He certainly wasn't getting showcased; his minutes remained consistent all the way up to when he got traded.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 04:18:55 PM by rondoallaturca »

« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2013, 04:17:49 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yoki:
With regards to your claims about Maxiell/Monroe. What do you mean by +22? +22 indicates what exactly and how is it meaningful for your team with Bogut/Monroe?

« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2013, 04:19:40 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i havent read through the questions in the thread yet, and i apologize if this has been asked, but:

to all teams....what seed do you rank your team your conference (not division) and why do you rank them there?

i am voting, so along with your rosters and pressers, this is your opportunity to try and make a case to this voter.

thx

« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
To answer Rondo's question.

I have already said that against mobile 4's we will favor Varejao starting over Bogut. Andy is mobile enough to contain them.

As for Lillard and the minutes. Of course getting him burned out is a concern, arent we all? But it could be resolved.

Kyle Lowry is more than a capable backup, he's a starter playing one. On situations where Lillard needs to get a breather more than 4 or 5 minutes, Lowry can extend his minutes without losing a ton as to what Lillard brings offensively. Also, while Monroe is not as good as Aldridge, he's still someone you double team down low, so usage wise for Lillard it will increase, but not significantly as Denver has a low post force to go to to score. And lastly, Wilson Chandler. He played exceptionally well once Galo went down, averaging 17 a game during Galo's absence.

So while Lillard is the first option on offense, doesnt mean he's the only option. And his backup is very capable of doing the exact same things he can (maybe on a lesser lever but not much) so giving him a breather, or resting him on a back to back is not a concern.

As for Nick:

What do you mean no experience? Courtney Lee was a sought after free agent last year. Varejao and Bogut are battle tested. Wilson Chandler has his fair share of experience too. And a Rooki Lillard blossomed and took over a team. The bench features players that are lauded for their skills in Barbosa, Webster (was a sought after free agent this year) Lowry and when healthy, J-Rich.

And Pat Riley is coaching.

I'm sorry but I'm not buying the "no experience" argument.

« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2013, 04:24:02 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Yoki:
With regards to your claims about Maxiell/Monroe. What do you mean by +22? +22 indicates what exactly and how is it meaningful for your team with Bogut/Monroe?

Maxiell and Monroe together for 606 minutes posted a +22 on the plus-minus.

How is it meaningful? It is because they posted postive +/- numbers all while Maxiell is not in Bogut's level as it comes to talent and basketball IQ. Simply put, Bogut can do so much better than Maxiell in a lot of ways, helping Monroe better, not clogging the lanes and in turn, posting better +/- numbers.

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2013, 04:27:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yoki:

How is it meaningful? It is because they posted postive +/- numbers all while Maxiell is not in Bogut's level as it comes to talent and basketball IQ. Simply put, Bogut can do so much better than Maxiell in a lot of ways, helping Monroe better, not clogging the lanes and in turn, posting better +/- numbers.
Greg Monroe and Jason Maxiell played together 1510 minutes and 53 seconds this past season.

What happened to the missing 904 minutes? Perhaps more importantly what happened during those 904 minutes?

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2013, 04:30:19 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

In that video, only 5 of those 18 points were scored with Calderon actually guarding him, and both were due to screens. It's not like Lillard was flat out embarrassing Calderon and taking him off the dribble each possession. Besides, that was the beset game Lillard had of the three matchups; in the other two, he shot 2-14 and 3-12.

Furthermore, we're not rotating anyone to compensate for Calderon. He will be staying on PGs. Honestly, Calderon's a bad defender but this is just getting blown way out of proportion. Calderon allows less points per possession than Lawson, Teague, and others, but I don't hear anyone say "Oh yeah, time for my PG to take Lawson to town!" But all of a sudden when it's Calderon, things like "Lillard will drop 35 on him" are said as if it's a guarantee. I mean, come on now...

Point is, regardless of the numbers, we will attack Calderon with Lowry and Lillard. He's a bad defender and he allowed 5 points on two screen and rolls. If that's the case, then will run more screen and rolls until he figures out how to stop it. Until then, expect Lillard and Lowry to do damage, whether by shooting or creating for others because Jose could not keep them in his front.

And you can't say the same about Denver's PG. Lowry is Lock-Down and Lillard, while not as good, is certainly developing that skill as he gets on.

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2013, 04:31:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Yoki:

Greg Monroe and Jason Maxiell played together 1510 minutes and 53 seconds this past season.

What happened to the missing 904 minutes? Perhaps more importantly what happened during those 904 minutes?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner