Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Northwest Division Press Conferences  (Read 49521 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Northwest Division Press Conferences
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2013, 02:00:13 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Monta may have the ability to slash and drive to the hoop, but over course of his career, he's overwhelmingly preferred to shoot jumpers: over the last half-decade, an average of 70% of his fields goals each year have come from jumpers, to less than stellar efficiency:

Wow. Last season, when he was paired with another ball dominant player (Jennings), Monta Ellis' eFG% on jump shots was 0.379.

The prior season, next to Stephen Curry, it was 0.429. That was actually a pretty good year for Monta (his career best was 0.436).

For sake of comparison, Mo Williams' eFG% on jumpers during that 2008-09 season: 0.545. Mario Chalmers, last season, hit jumpers at an eFG% of 0.535.

All stats via 82games.com.

Adding to this, Ellis shot just 38.5% on spot-up jumpers last season. I really don't like his fit alongside Lebron on the offensive end.

I'm still skeptical that Monta can change his spots.

Unfortunately for me - there is no videotape of these two playing together to prove my point. However, I feel like part of Monta's shot selection issues has been because he was his team's primary scorer and was trying to do too much with the ball. Whenever LeBron is on your team, you are no longer the primary scorer. It happened to Bosh and it happened to Wade. Both altered their games slightly to fit with James and conceded some statistics for it. Monta's game is that of an inefficient Wade and Wade has adapted to life with LeBron just fine. For proof, Wade shot jumpers 65% of the time last year with an eFG% of 0.43. So either 82Games has a misunderstanding of the definition of a jumper or Monta will fit with James better than most expect.

If another player who scored 20 PPG, 6 APG, 2 SPG was available in the fifth round, I would've taken him. Unfortunately, the efficient version of Ellis (Wade) went in the first round. I got Wade-lite for a discount in the fifth.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2013, 02:19:02 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Portland: To this point, your only reasoning behind Jennings, Johnson, and Melo working together (and to an extent Bynum) is that you believe they can coexist like the Celtics Big Three. Could you explain further what characteristics these players have that can compare with Allen, Pierce, and Garnett? Jennings is only 23-years old and has repeatedly been in the doghouse for poor shot selection and not playing conductive team basketball - what is there to lead me to believe he'll suddenly start making the proper sacrifices at this early stage in his career? Last year Johnson was put in a position where he did not need to be a focal point of offense, yet he only took one less field goal attempt per game - what is there to lead me to believe Johnson will sacrifice any more than he did in Brooklyn? Melo has consistently demanded to be the alpha dog, and even when playing alongside Melo, he still chucked up as many shots as other years - what is there to lead me to believe Melo will make a sacrifice?

Minnesota: Earlier you said that Monta will be a better, more efficient offensive player when he doesn't have to be the primary offensive option, and you point to his earlier seasons where he shot 45-48%. However, I'd like to point out that during those "We Believe" seasons, the Warriors had excellent floor spacing with numerous perimeter threats. Ellis had the space to make cuts and slash into the paint for higher percentage buckets. Thus, for Ellis to really be the more efficient player you want him to be, you would have to put him alongside Chalmers and Korver - at that point, you would be severely compromising the stellar defense your team depends on. How will this team compensate for the fact that its most effective lineups will be very one-sided, either on the offensive or defensive end?

« Reply #152 on: September 05, 2013, 02:34:52 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
As you pointed out, Monta's skill set is maximized when playing with floor spacers. A lineup of Chalmers-Ellis-Korver-James-Ibaka or Ellis-Korver-Battier-James-Ibaka would suit him well. However, I disagree with the notion that they become one sided. Every player I drafted is capable of playing defense competitively. Korver - while not of Bradley's defensive reputation - held opposing wing players to a below average PER last season (check press conference for actual value). Chalmers is a pesky defender who plays with a high energy level and I don't think he concedes too much on the defensive end.

« Reply #153 on: September 05, 2013, 02:42:07 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Minnesota: Well I should clarify that I didn't mean that your defense would fall off a cliff. You're correct that it would still be a competitive defensive unit. Anyway, would those two lineups you've listed be the primary ones that will be utilized by the team? If so, how will Bradley and Jordan be integrated?

« Reply #154 on: September 05, 2013, 02:42:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Monta Ellis will do very well when Minnesota plays those small-ball lineups -- so much space for Monta to attack. His explosive athleticism, ball-handling and slashing ability will be havoc to deal with in those small ball lineups -- but continue to struggle on offense in the same ways as Monta has done in the past when playing in those bigger lineups. With D.Jordan on the floor alongside a second big man. Especially when A.Bradley is added to the mix.

I think Monta will do a really good job defensively when he is allowed to defend PGs but struggle as he has done in the past when asked to defend SGs.

« Reply #155 on: September 05, 2013, 02:45:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
How many less shots is Joe Johnson and Brandon Jennings supposed to take? When the Big 3 sacrificed their games those three players dropped from 18 shots per game to 14. Joe Johnson is only taking 14.6 shots a game now. Brandon Jennings is only taking 15.6 shots per game.

When the Big Three sacrificed their offense they dropped 3-4 shots per game to get to levels that Johnson is already at and Jennings only one shot per game away from. I don't think it a stretch to think those two would be happy taking 14 shots a game sacrificing a whole .6 and 1.6 shots per game. We aren't talking almost 20-23% of their offense. We are talking a sacrifice of 10% or less of their offense.

Melo, well, Melo will be Melo. But I don't see a problem with the thinking that Bynum, JJ and Jennings would be willing to sacrifice some offense for Melo to be the alpha dog.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:24:30 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #156 on: September 05, 2013, 03:21:22 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Minnesota: Well I should clarify that I didn't mean that your defense would fall off a cliff. You're correct that it would still be a competitive defensive unit. Anyway, would those two lineups you've listed be the primary ones that will be utilized by the team? If so, how will Bradley and Jordan be integrated?

My starting lineup will purely be dictated by my opponents roster. As I laid out in my rotation, there will be plenty of minutes for Bradley, Jordan, Korver, Battier, and Chalmers. If I am playing against a team with two tough bigs, I will start Ibaka at PF and Jordan/Davis at C. Ideally I would like to start Bradley to set the tempo of the game by bringing his famous full court pressure to the opposing ball handler.

To answer your question more directly- James, Ibaka, and Ellis are guaranteed to start and play the most minutes. The other spots will be filled depending on matchup and the rotation laid out will be roughly followed.

« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2013, 03:22:27 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Thanks for your quick and detailed answers, Minnesota! I can't think of anything else I need to ask about your team. TP  :)

« Reply #158 on: September 05, 2013, 03:50:54 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Thanks for your quick and detailed answers, Minnesota! I can't think of anything else I need to ask about your team. TP  :)

Not a problem, thank you for the interest.