Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Central Division Press Conferences  (Read 117830 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Central Division Press Conferences
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 10:33:01 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
On Al Horford and Kevin Garnett,

I would expect most teams to put their center on Horford and keep the big forward on Garnett. I believe Horford's advantage in the low post against PFs will scare more teams than Garnett's will. Given KG's growing disinclination to post up, I think most teams will get away with this strategy.

On defense, I think they will be interchangeable with Horford guarding PFs most often because of his superior quickness + mobility. But if Garnett is facing a center who is wearing him down physically, I think Horford takes over that matchup. I would expect Horford to take the tougher individual matchup more often than Garnett in order to free up KG to roam on defense. 

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
To both Indiana and Cleveland:  Both of you feel that Milwaukee is the third seed in this division. What makes your team better than them, and why? I have them ahead of both of you in the regular season.

I like Milwaukee's starters but Bayless, Ellington and Smith aren't primary backups for a contending team in my opinion. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 10:34:05 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Cleveland: I agree with your assessment that Lawson is criminally underrated and personally consider him a premier PG. question being, when Lawson sits I see a lack of playmaking on the roster. I assume you could give the duties to Jamal but that will likely hamper him from simply worrying about scoring. How will this offense function when Lawson sits? Also, when KG rests?

First off, TP for reading (at least part of) the presser. I know I made it very long.

The majority of the time that Ty is off the floor during the regular season, both Steve Blake and Jamal will be on the floor. Steve is actually a very underrated playmaker (3.8 ast in around 25 minutes last year) himself, and an excellent backup PG. He will be the primary backup ball-handler, but the offense will run through Jamal and whatever bigs are on the floor. I believe this duo will be more than enough to keep the offense flowing when Ty needs a breather.

When KG rests, things operate as normal. Landry and Horford are still both great jump-shooters, so the floor will remain spread. Landry has the added bonus of being one of the best finishers near the rim in the league, so the offense could actually peak slightly when Landry replaces KG.

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 10:35:09 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Also for what its worth, Lopez scored 15 or more points 23 times last year, he scored 10 or more points 45 times.  Im very happy with what Lopez provides from an energy, man to man defense and offensive perspective.
Does his lack of rebounding concern you? His rebounding for a 7 footer is really bad.

Not really, I think between Durant, Scola and Lopez we should be alright on the boards, also during crunch time we will be putting brand at the center spot for good decision making, defense, and rebounding. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 10:35:22 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
To Indiana: Who is Jeff Taylor?
Quietly the most effective perimeter player in Charlotte last season.

Not MKG Not Kemba Walker. Not Gerald Henderson. Not Ramon Sessions. Jeff Taylor.

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
To both Indiana and Cleveland:  Both of you feel that Milwaukee is the third seed in this division. What makes your team better than them, and why? I have them ahead of both of you in the regular season.

I like Milwaukee's starters but Bayless, Ellington and Smith aren't primary backups for a contending team in my opinion.

Are Rodney Stuckey, Marvin Williams, and Andrew Nicholson primary backups for a contending team?

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 10:37:57 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
To Indiana: Who is Jeff Taylor?

Jeff Taylor is a SG/SF from the Bobcats who is likely to earn a starting job over Michael Kidd Gilchrest this year.  I think he is becoming one of the best defensive swing men in the game.

Also, the last time I did something like this in the CB Draft the player was Aaron Afflalo, and we all know how he turned out.

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2013, 10:38:17 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
Cleveland: I just realized Tony Allen is playing 15 minutes of SF in the playoffs rather than the regular season. Do you feel you're stretching his defensive ability a little too thin by doing that? He has demonstrated to cover SFs in spot situations before, but 15 minutes?! Wouldn't it make sense to play Wallace instead?

As I said in my presser all rotational numbers are an approximation. It will come down to Lionel to decide who to play when. If we're going up against a smaller SF, then maybe Tony gets the nod, because he's still a great finisher at the rim. If it's a bigger guy, then we sacrifice some of our offense in order to contain him by playing Wallace.

I would expect most teams to put their center on Horford and keep the big forward on Garnett. I believe Horford's advantage in the low post against PFs will scare more teams than Garnett's will. Given KG's growing disinclination to post up, I think most teams will get away with this strategy.

On defense, I think they will be interchangeable with Horford guarding PFs most often because of his superior quickness + mobility. But if Garnett is facing a center who is wearing him down physically, I think Horford takes over that matchup. I would expect Horford to take the tougher individual matchup more often than Garnett in order to free up KG to roam on defense. 

With respect to offense, Horford has been guarded by centers for his entire career and still puts up the numbers he does. If teams do decide to do this, I don't think his numbers will decline. As for KG, he can still shoot over many forwards in this league. That, his PnR game, and his defense, are all we're really asking of him.

I agree with your mentality on defense. Well said. TP.

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2013, 10:40:26 AM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Cleveland: So you think Tony Allen brings more to the offensive side than Gerald Wallace?

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2013, 10:40:26 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Cleveland: If Odom comes back, can you trust him to share the rock?

...sorry, in poor taste.  Real question: You have Caron Butler slated for 30 MPG.  The last 3 seasons that he played around that amount (09-10 - 11-12) were among his worst - shooting and defense seemed to suffer, and injuries cost him most of the 10-11 season.  Whereas last year he seemed to hold up much better in 24 mpg.  Are you confident he can remain healthy and effective at 30 mpg this year, and what about your team makes you believe so?

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2013, 10:41:28 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Are Rodney Stuckey, Marvin Williams, and Andrew Nicholson primary backups for a contending team?

Yes.  Would you contend they are inferrior players than the three I mentioned for milwaukee?  Ellington barely managed 20 minutes on a terrible Cleveland team.  Greg Smith Managed 15 minutes per game for Houston and Bayless had a decent year for memphis.

But having big question marks backing up your two weakest starters, Reddick and Okafor, is a big mistake.  Stuckey and Williams are backing up Deron and Durant who will be playings high 30 mpg totals, their time on the court will be minimized.  Milwaukee's weak backups will be seeing alot of court time.

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2013, 10:42:59 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I think Milwaukee have a well built starting lineup in terms of how all the pieces fit together but for me it is lacking too much in top tier talent.

Taking Conley in the 2nd round was a big stretch for me. I think Conley as only a middle of the pack PG in this 25 team league. And Redick, R.Anderson and E.Okafor are not even that high. R.Anderson a little below and Redick + Okafor well below. 

Paul George is their star and a star he is. But an All-Star rather than a top ten or even MVP caliber player. He needs a lot more help from his top teammates than he is getting.

I don't think Milwaukee are in the same class as the top teams in the East.

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2013, 10:46:20 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
Cleveland: So you think Tony Allen brings more to the offensive side than Gerald Wallace?

Unless Wallace can continue the success he showed on the offensive end during the playoffs, yes.

Cleveland: If Odom comes back, can you trust him to share the rock?

...sorry, in poor taste.  Real question: You have Caron Butler slated for 30 MPG.  The last 3 seasons that he played around that amount (09-10 - 11-12) were among his worst - shooting and defense seemed to suffer, and injuries cost him most of the 10-11 season.  Whereas last year he seemed to hold up much better in 24 mpg.  Are you confident he can remain healthy and effective at 30 mpg this year, and what about your team makes you believe so?

Har har very funny.

I'll say it again: all minutes are an approximation, but that is a good point about Butler. He really did improve last season. I personally believe that our system is quite similar to the Clippers 1-3: a top-tier PG, defending SG, Jamal off the bench, and Caron. We have the added bonus of the floor spreading from Horford and KG over Blake and DeAndre. This will just take some of the offensive burden off of Caron and allow him to be more judicious and effective. But as far as minutes goes, Lionel will make the call as to whether he'd be more effective in less minutes, and maybe play Wallace alongside Crawford more.

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2013, 10:46:21 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

With respect to offense, Horford has been guarded by centers for his entire career and still puts up the numbers he does. If teams do decide to do this, I don't think his numbers will decline. As for KG, he can still shoot over many forwards in this league. That, his PnR game, and his defense, are all we're really asking of him.

I agree with your mentality on defense. Well said. TP.

On Horford's offense,

I am not saying it is a problem. Just that Horford could get a big bump offensively at PF because of his size/muscle advantage and skill-level in the low post against most PFs ... but I don't think Garnett (at this late stage in his career) is the right center to create those matchups.

So it'll be more business as usual for Hoford rather than improved performance -- which is generally what is argued when Horford is listed as PF in these CB Leagues.

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2013, 10:48:59 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Since I have a few minutes...to answer Nick, George will still see most of his time @ Sf....Ariza will play some SG for defense...or Sf next to George @ pF when I want to quicken the pace.