Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Atlantic Division Press Conferences  (Read 131498 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Atlantic Division Press Conferences
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2013, 09:07:58 PM »

fitzhickey

Brooklyn
How will you deal with a team that has competent scoring bigs and is capable of getting back on the break?

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2013, 09:08:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I see that there are no questions about Brooklyn. I have clearly convinced all of you beyond any articulable doubt that we are a playoff squad. We appreciate your acquiescence and we will make all of your defeats swift and painless.

Haha.  Okay, sell me on a Hickson / Koufus front line.  I see both as ideally bench players, and not necessarily top-tier bench players at that.  How can they help you be a playoff squad?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2013, 09:14:54 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Brooklyn
How will you deal with a team that has competent scoring bigs and is capable of getting back on the break?

Haha. No, we really will lose to those teams.

Well... you say "competent." I would argue that (1) there aren't actually that many teams who have competent scoring bigs AND can get back to keep up with runners of our caliber, and (2) against the teams that can we will essentially have to have a shootout.

We have the shot-blocking and athleticism to make it difficult in the paint, but teams that manage to isolate on a post scorer are going to really drill us. We will make that guy... Zach Randolph, Al Jefferson, Tim Duncan, Brook Lopez... beat us and try to take away everything else.

We are strongly considering playing the press.

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2013, 09:28:49 PM »

fitzhickey

Brooklyn

Haha. No, we really will lose to those teams.

Well... you say "competent." I would argue that (1) there aren't actually that many teams who have competent scoring bigs AND can get back to keep up with runners of our caliber, and (2) against the teams that can we will essentially have to have a shootout.

We have the shot-blocking and athleticism to make it difficult in the paint, but teams that manage to isolate on a post scorer are going to really drill us. We will make that guy... Zach Randolph, Al Jefferson, Tim Duncan, Brook Lopez... beat us and try to take away everything else.

We are strongly considering playing the press.
And a follow up
Sell me on the Hickson Koufos combo

« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2013, 09:29:56 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I see that there are no questions about Brooklyn. I have clearly convinced all of you beyond any articulable doubt that we are a playoff squad. We appreciate your acquiescence and we will make all of your defeats swift and painless.

Haha.  Okay, sell me on a Hickson / Koufus front line.  I see both as ideally bench players, and not necessarily top-tier bench players at that.  How can they help you be a playoff squad?

I would argue that (1) you underrate Koufos, who has quietly been the best center on a very good Nuggets team, and (2) the Hickson that we saw in 2012-2013 has taken a quantum leap forward by learning to pass and by taking the brutally terrible midrange jumper out of his game, thereby improving his true shooting percentage by a whopping 10 points. Both are 24 years old, and have shown considerable year-over-year improvement, and both are well-established at this point as starters.

Hickson, who has started nearly every day for four years, and is only 24 years old, has not played in a system that plays to his strengths. Next year, he will be a Nugget, and we're going to see his high energy and newfound efficiency cement him as a very good starter 4/5. That team, like mine, will capitalize on his finishing and rebounding ability. Hickson's defense has thus far been poor, but it is notable that, outside of Aldridge, his surrounding cast has also been terrible on that side of the ball. Doc Rivers is going to take this rising young veteran who improves his game every year, surround him with strong team defenders, and teach him to play soundly on that side of the ball. That is where his next improvement will come.

« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2013, 09:37:36 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
the Hickson that we saw in 2012-2013 has taken a quantum leap forward by learning to pass and by taking the brutally terrible midrange jumper out of his game, thereby improving his true shooting percentage by a whopping 10 points.

It's worth noting that JJ actually shot a really good midrange percentage this year - 46% from 10-15 and 49% from 16 to the 3 pt line.  His volume just went down a lot from prior years.  It's probably more accurate to say that he got much better at picking his spots for jumpers than that he's abandoned the shot.  Especially since your team will really need the spacing to open up the lane for Westbrook and Ginobili's penetration.

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2013, 09:43:38 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Brooklyn: What is the reasoning behind starting Manu and electing Tyreke to be your sixth man?

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2013, 09:47:04 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!

« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2013, 11:00:38 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Again, like I stated, I dont see ZBo riding the bench at the end of the game. Its all about who finishes the game not who starts it. However, if the game calls for a defensive stop. It just makes logical sense to put Lopez and Sanders in to protect the rim. This Knicks team is full of High IQ, good character basketball guys that will have to buy into the system and mesh together. Chemistry is the key to winning.

Any 32 year old PF who has been in the league for 12 years in a position to play with a very legit contender and win a championship while still getting his numbers and stats while also getting his same minutes, and a chance at an individual award like 6th man of the year, will be able to take whatever role is best for the outcome of the team. If there was a crazy reduction in minutes and touches then we might have a problem. But ZBo's role, in essence, is even more important as a 6th man here than it would be as a starter.

Well, getting defensive stops is generally a common theme at the end of the game, so there's certainly going to be many situations where Z-Bo won't be in the game during crunch time. Randolph doesn't exactly strike me as a guy who's simply content getting stats and accolades, so I still remain very questionable about Z-Bo's role on this team.

However, moving in a new direction with both you and Boston, what separates you from each other? I know it's still early for head-on-head clashes, but so far I haven't read anything that definitely puts one above the other as the best team of the division.

Dont want to get in a head to head clash just yet but for the sake of answering the question. I think my squad is slightly better on both offense and defense while also having more talented depth off the bench. My players can out score Boston and also defend them better.

Gasol and Jonas won't be able to guard Lopez and Randolph. The constant pounding downlow and the many ways the can score will hurt them down there. With Gallo hurt that leaves Brewer to guard Green. Brewer has good length and is a good defender but Green will be able to out muscle Brewer to the basket. Haywood and Martin are similar players but Martin can score on any body.

Rubio will have his handful guarding Irving but so won't anybody in the league. At least Rubio has the quickness to stay in front of him and his 2.4 steals a game helps as well. Hinirch also can come in and be a pest to Irving. I don't see anyone on the Boston bench that i would fear as much as Randolph or Williams, even Hinirch.

Other than Irving, Gasol will put the most points on the board and he will have trouble scoring on Sanders as well as dealing with the big bodies of Randolph and Lopez. Also have better experienced veterans who are young and can still play at a high level. Hinirch, Martin, Garcia, Randolph, Frye, Udrih, and even Lopez(making his 6th year leap) are all heady vets with expereince under their belts yet are still in their primes.

Advantage. Knicks.

Even beyond that, I think the answer is simpler.  Gallo is going to miss a significant amount of time, and Gasol is reportedly on a minutes limitation.  That's going to negatively affect Boston's regular season record.

Well, I dispute that it'll keep me from the top of the division. I've got a better leader, a better franchise player, better fits offensively, and a more talented starting 5. And a better coach

I would definitely, while politely, beg to differ that you have a more talented starting five. Irving might be the best talent on the two squads but ranking each of our players 2 - 13 I think each of my players, with the exception of maybe a Gasol/Lopez tie at the 2 slot would rank more talented.

« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2013, 11:14:01 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

How often do Westbrook and Evans play together? They're both ball dominant guards and seem to bring a lot of redundancy to the table. Do they both play with Manu? Does that mean Evans at the 3? He doesn't seem fond of the SF position.

What is the lineup you plan to finish games with?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2013, 11:22:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Again, like I stated, I dont see ZBo riding the bench at the end of the game. Its all about who finishes the game not who starts it. However, if the game calls for a defensive stop. It just makes logical sense to put Lopez and Sanders in to protect the rim. This Knicks team is full of High IQ, good character basketball guys that will have to buy into the system and mesh together. Chemistry is the key to winning.

Any 32 year old PF who has been in the league for 12 years in a position to play with a very legit contender and win a championship while still getting his numbers and stats while also getting his same minutes, and a chance at an individual award like 6th man of the year, will be able to take whatever role is best for the outcome of the team. If there was a crazy reduction in minutes and touches then we might have a problem. But ZBo's role, in essence, is even more important as a 6th man here than it would be as a starter.

Well, getting defensive stops is generally a common theme at the end of the game, so there's certainly going to be many situations where Z-Bo won't be in the game during crunch time. Randolph doesn't exactly strike me as a guy who's simply content getting stats and accolades, so I still remain very questionable about Z-Bo's role on this team.

However, moving in a new direction with both you and Boston, what separates you from each other? I know it's still early for head-on-head clashes, but so far I haven't read anything that definitely puts one above the other as the best team of the division.

Dont want to get in a head to head clash just yet but for the sake of answering the question. I think my squad is slightly better on both offense and defense while also having more talented depth off the bench. My players can out score Boston and also defend them better.

Gasol and Jonas won't be able to guard Lopez and Randolph. The constant pounding downlow and the many ways the can score will hurt them down there. With Gallo hurt that leaves Brewer to guard Green. Brewer has good length and is a good defender but Green will be able to out muscle Brewer to the basket. Haywood and Martin are similar players but Martin can score on any body.

Rubio will have his handful guarding Irving but so won't anybody in the league. At least Rubio has the quickness to stay in front of him and his 2.4 steals a game helps as well. Hinirch also can come in and be a pest to Irving. I don't see anyone on the Boston bench that i would fear as much as Randolph or Williams, even Hinirch.

Other than Irving, Gasol will put the most points on the board and he will have trouble scoring on Sanders as well as dealing with the big bodies of Randolph and Lopez. Also have better experienced veterans who are young and can still play at a high level. Hinirch, Martin, Garcia, Randolph, Frye, Udrih, and even Lopez(making his 6th year leap) are all heady vets with expereince under their belts yet are still in their primes.

Advantage. Knicks.

Even beyond that, I think the answer is simpler.  Gallo is going to miss a significant amount of time, and Gasol is reportedly on a minutes limitation.  That's going to negatively affect Boston's regular season record.

Well, I dispute that it'll keep me from the top of the division. I've got a better leader, a better franchise player, better fits offensively, and a more talented starting 5. And a better coach

I would definitely, while politely, beg to differ that you have a more talented starting five. Irving might be the best talent on the two squads but ranking each of our players 2 - 13 I think each of my players, with the exception of maybe a Gasol/Lopez tie at the 2 slot would rank more talented.

Id say that I have the better players at 1, 2, 3, and 4, with not as big a drop off at the 5 as one might think. But that's what you get when Im talking about my guys, I went out and drafted/traded for them because I like them.

I will say though that Larry Sanders has a great chance to be a better player than Pau Gasol next season. I don't like him next to Lopez (as you know), but I love him as a player. Huge fan, could have a legitimate shot at DPOY next season with a little more consistency and discipline.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2013, 11:27:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So, Pero Antic as a full time backup center?  How's that going to work?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2013, 11:47:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
So, Pero Antic as a full time backup center?  How's that going to work?

Um, awesomely? Have you not seen a picture of this guy? He looks like the enforcer for a villian in a bond movie.

In all seriousness, my center rotation goes JV/Gasol/Antic, I don't see him getting more than 5-10 minutes a game barring injuries.

For context, my full frontcourt:

Gasol/Arthur/Gallo/Jones
JV/Gasol/Antic

« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2013, 11:57:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I should also say, my hope would be that Antic doesn't even see the floor most games.

« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2013, 01:50:14 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I should also say, my hope would be that Antic doesn't even see the floor most games.

I'm sure there's not that many of them.

- General Custer to his troops.