Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Atlantic Division Press Conferences  (Read 131494 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Atlantic Division Press Conferences
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 03:07:53 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
New York: You have a lot of very strong pieces, but nobody who's ever been "the guy" on an elite team, and many have never been on an elite team in any capacity.  Who would you say is your team's leader, and who is the go-to guy down the stretch of a close game?  If they're different people, how would you/Coach Karl handle that?

I feel that our "lack" of a go to guy just means that everybody has to step up their games and mesh together to create chemistry. In this situation no one has to defer to anyone in particular, and everybody can work together to brings out their best skills to compliment the teams needs.

We have a lot of young talent that needs coaching, and behind them a lot of veteran talent to lead them. Green and Lopez have the biggest pressures on them and are ready to make the leap. Lopez is the main guy in the middle, this will be his 6th year in the league and its time for him to take more of a leadership/vocal role. Jeff Green has never gotten the opportunity to be "the man" and I think he will thrive in that situation. Randolph brings veteran experience to the squad, he has been in high pressure situations, and has become a more mature player. Hinrich and Martin also bring great veteran leadership to the team and can coach some of the youngsters who haven't been there yet and give them a great support system to build on.

Our team is built on chemistry and being able to mesh together as a unit. Championship teams always look to their alpha dog to lead them (Jordan, Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, James, Dirk) but at the same time rely on their supporting pieces to win in the end.

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 03:10:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Boston management (IP):  After a Buffalo Bills' like run of Finals appearances, what caused this year to transform into the J.P. Losman era? 

No, but seriously, I can buy into your team in 2016.  What's the realistic upside for 2014, though?

The realistic upside for 2014 is an elite offensive unit, a passable defensive unit, and a top 3 finish in the conference if everyone is completely healthy.

Irving
Hayward
Gallo
Gasol
Valanciunas

Offensively, what's not to like? 

Any drafting regrets?

Reaching on Fournier when I could've reached on Datome. Panic pick, work was really, really hectic. Also had a trade that didn't work out due to bureaucratic stuff, that kind of sucked.

And lastly, would you buy this type of "analysis" if the CrotoNats did it?

*Not standard 2013 stats
Pau Gasol: 11-12 stats
Jonas Valanciunas: Games in which he played >30 mins
Gordon Hayward: Stats as a starter
Corey Brewer: mislabeled, they're standard
Evan Fournier: Post-Gallo injury in Denver
Terrence Jones: Post All-Star
Darrell Arthur: 10-11 Stats (pre-achillies injury)
Patrick Beverley: Post All-Star

;)

Well, I'd go through each one earnestly that I had a legitimate issue with, and ask you why you thought it was a valid representation of what we can expect from each player next year. Above all Id treat you with the objective and jovial tone that one should expect from a respected competitor, first approaching the topic from the point of view that you probably had a compelling argument that I should be able to figure for myself, as you are wise and don't mess around with inane gamesmanship.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 03:15:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Question for all GMs:

My very preliminary rankings for the conference are as follows:

1. New York
2. Atlanta
3. Miami
4. Cleveland
5. Indiana
6. Orlando
7. Boston
8. Washington
9. Chicago
10. Milwaukee
11. Brooklyn
12. Detroit
13.  Philadelphia

Especially as related to Boston, Brooklyn, and Philly, why have I underestimated your team, and where should it be?

I think that you're failing to factor in that my team is better than you think it is.

But no seriously, I talked about it a lot in the presser (which I've been working on sporadically throughout the day), but the fit between Irving, Hayward, Gallo, Gasol, and JV is pretty neat and solid, especially offensively. Also our roster's versatility and talent on the reserves isn't to be underestimated, especially if you're just doing it because of age. I'd ask that you pick a guy, and ask me why you should believe in them if you don't already. We didn't take anyone we couldn't defend.

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 03:20:11 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
New York: What do you say to a critique that having Zach Randolph come off the bench might be a mistake? ZBo and Lopez would appear to be a better combo in the starting lineup as Sanders and Lopez are really both natural centers and Sanders offense is extremely limited possibly causing there to be too much pressure for Lopez to be the only offensive inside option against teams starting and better defensive lineups?

My main question as well for New York. I would think that you'd need to start ZBo, to keep him happy/engaged, and also to allow Sanders to be as aggressive as possible on defense.

Another question: do you really view Derrick Williams as a 3 in today's NBA? He seems more like a stretch four (at least, this is where he played the overwhelming majority of his minutes last season). I think you'll likely need to shift Garcia to backup SF duty for most of his minutes.

Lastly, any concerns about your C rotation? Hearing positive updates re: Frye's return, but he's still a yellow flag at best, and you've got a first-year NBA player as your remaining backup.

Like I've stated I think ZBo will be very happy as the leader of the second unit. He won't have any problem getting touches, minutes, and playing his game here.

Williams is a tweener Forward and I believe he can play both positions. This squad will see him play mostly at the three on paper but in real game instances anything can happen. Foul trouble to anyone of the big three trio down low will see Williams bump to Power Forward. I just think it adds to the teams versatility to put Williams at the three. He can play alongside Randolph/Lopez and Sanders to go big, he can switch to the four and play alongside Randolph green/garcia to go small. It will create match up problems for other teams.

I think Williams is undersized at the 4 spot despite his body weight. He believes himself to be a three, (as he himself has said in interviews before) and has worked his physical condition to try and do so. He can stretch the floor with range although he isn't a sharpshooter. He still shot 33% from the 3 line last season. His versatility will only help the team not hurt it.

As for the lack of center slot, again, the team is so versatile I dont see it as a problem. Frye and the Suns have both said Frye will be playing next year. If thats the case he will be a great addition. If not, we have a first year European guy who can enforce the paint and bang down low for the 5 to 10 minutes we will need him in sparing minutes and I see no problem with that. Going back to my draft and trading strategy, I want versatile players who could play more than one position. Hinirch can move to SG, Garcia to SF, Green and Williams to PF, Sanders and even Zbo to Center. If one of the big three get into foul trouble, then Williams moves to the 4 and plays alongside Green and our problem is instantly and easily solved.

With the trio of Lopez/Sanders/Zbo eating up a majority of the 4/5 minutes I dont see any issue with my center slot. The players I picked their only accentuate the skill of the team as they are overqualified for their roles and will be ready to produce when called upon. Our versatility creates even more depth for us and plays to our biggest strength.

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Question for all GMs:

My very preliminary rankings for the conference are as follows:

1. New York
2. Atlanta
3. Miami
4. Cleveland
5. Indiana
6. Orlando
7. Boston
8. Washington
9. Chicago
10. Milwaukee
11. Brooklyn
12. Detroit
13.  Philadelphia

Especially as related to Boston, Brooklyn, and Philly, why have I underestimated your team, and where should it be?

I think that you're failing to factor in that my team is better than you think it is.

But no seriously, I talked about it a lot in the presser (which I've been working on sporadically throughout the day), but the fit between Irving, Hayward, Gallo, Gasol, and JV is pretty neat and solid, especially offensively. Also our roster's versatility and talent on the reserves isn't to be underestimated, especially if you're just doing it because of age. I'd ask that you pick a guy, and ask me why you should believe in them if you don't already. We didn't take anyone we couldn't defend.

I actually agree with you.  The starting lineup fits together well, and guys like Hayward and Gallinari can play off of both Irving and Gasol.

The concerns I have are:

1.  Injuries, particularly to Gallinari, but also to a lesser extent to Gasol and Irving;
2.  Relative lack of experience;
3.  Defense.  I think this team will struggle to be even average in that regard.

For the regular season, 7th seems about right to me. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 03:24:47 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Miami would like to pont out that the GM of the Celtics must have been a short child to have not ridden a roller coaster before the age of 12.

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 03:26:07 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
New York: Even if Z-Bo is content coming off the bench (which is a big if), I think the more important question to ask is whether he is fine with sitting on the bench during critical, game-changing plays. Will you stick with your starting frontcourt of Sanders/BroLo during crunch time, or put in the more experienced Z-Bo?

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 03:27:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think both Boston and New York are amongst the best of the best in the East.

I have Philly and Brooklyn finishing outside of the playoffs.

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 03:27:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Miami would like to pont out that the GM of the Celtics must have been a short child to have not ridden a roller coaster before the age of 12.

They're scary. They go so fast, and how do you stay in your seat when you're upside down??? It literally defies gravity!

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 03:30:12 PM »

fitzhickey

Boston How do you think your young inexperienced players will cope with all the pressures of the playoffs?
Why will they succeed?

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 03:31:21 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Question for NY; how comfortable are you with the pairing of Sanders and Williams together on the court?  Or for that matter, ZBo and Williams?

Starting Sanders would serve him and the rotation best (as you are doing), but I'm just as "not sold" on ZBo coming off the bench in NY as I was in GS.  I don't think he'll love it.  Maybe next to a peer like LMA, it might work, but next to a clearly lesser player in Sanders, I'm not seeing it.

Also, while the bigs are "name" players and individually good, the fit seems a bit touch and go and lacking in depth beyond the 3 main guys.  Foul trouble could spell doom in the playoffs.

Re: 2013 CB Draft : Draft Thread (Atlantic and Pacific pressers today)
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 03:31:35 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
L.A. Clippers

Felton/Billups
Afflalo/Pietrus/Daniels
Gay/Novak/Daniels
Griffin/Hill/Gooden
Vucevic/Leonard/Turiaf

Will try and answer questions the best I can due to I am at work but please send any and all questions. Just a quick statement.

we feel as this team we are putting on the floor can compete with everyone in the western conference. We can play any tempo and run up the score. We will play great defense with Franks great schemes. And will be one of if not the best rebounding team in the league.

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 03:36:07 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Boston: Do you think it might have been a better idea to flip Pau and some of your other veterans for younger pieces? The team seems more fit to be a TOTF contender rather than a present contender.

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 03:38:23 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Boston How do you think your young inexperienced players will cope with all the pressures of the playoffs?
Why will they succeed?

Well, that seems like more of a 'tomorrow' question than a 'today' question. But I'd say we have the best coach (Pop), we've got one of if not the best young leaders in the game (Irving), no knuckleheads to mess up the chemistry, and more talent than you can shake a stick at.

The Rockets made the playoffs last year and didn't fall apart like nervous children, and their oldest starting player was Omer Asik, who had just finished his first season as a full-time starter. Their most experienced player was James Harden, also his first season as a full-time starter. On the bench they had guys like Delfino and Garcia, but hardly any veteran 'General' types.

But on the other side of the coin, the Nuggets (another young team) had arguably more talent, the most experienced star and leader, the better coach, and they fell apart like a house of cards on a windy day.

Greg Popovich=Mental Toughness?

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 03:40:10 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Boston: Do you think it might have been a better idea to flip Pau and some of your other veterans for younger pieces? The team seems more fit to be a TOTF contender rather than a present contender.

Well, to your eyes maybe. I'd advise you to consider that a team can both be very good, and young as well.

Again, if you think a guy I've got on my squad is incapable of being an impact player next year, ask me about him.

Ask me about my Patrick Beverley, and how YOU can save 40% on the second week of a 3 week stay in a beautiful Florida 2 bedroom condo!