Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Atlantic Division Press Conferences  (Read 132059 times)

2013 CB Draft: Atlantic Division Press Conferences
« on: September 01, 2013, 01:15:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Here, each of the GMs representing a team in the Atlantic Division will provide an introduction / summary of their team, draft strategy, etc.  Other members should ask questions (directed to one or more GMs), and those GMs should attempt to answer the questions as well as they can.

For those participating, the opening blurbs can include some or all of the following:

1. Roster / depth chart
2. Statistics
3. Pictures
4. Statement regarding drafting philosophy (building for the future, contending now, etc.)
5. Toughest decision
6. Best move (trade, pick, etc.) / worst move
7. Your outlook for this coming season

It can be as substantial or as abbreviated as you want it to be.  These threads are open to all members, not just those posters who participated in the draft.  The more participation we get, the better.

==============================================================
Boston Celtics: Indeed Proceed / Edgar / wdleehi

New York Knicks: pearljammer10

Brooklyn Nets: sofutomygaha

Philadelphia 76ers: Evantime34

Please, no questions until after all five teams have posted their pressers or until noon of the day of the pressers.  This thread should be reserved for the GMs to put up and work on their pressers until then.

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Atlantic Division Press Conferences
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 02:32:56 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
2013-2014 CB Draft New York Knicks

Roster:
PG: Ricky Rubio/Kirk Hinrich/Beno Udrih
SG: Kevin Martin/Francisco Garcia
SF: Jeff Green/Derrick Williams/Jeremy Evans
PF: Larry Sanders/ Zach Randolph
C:  Brook Lopez/Channing Frye/ Victor Faverani

GM:Pearljammer10
Coach: George Karl

Player   Position   Draft    Points   Reb   Assists   Blocks   Steals   FG%    3FG   PER
Brook Lopez   C   2nd (2)   19.4   6.9   0.9   2.1   0.5   .521   N/A   24.81
Larry Sanders   PF/C   3rd (2)   9.8   9.5   1.2   2.8   0.7   .506   N/A   18.77
Kevin Martin   SG   5th (10)   14.0   2.3   1.4   0.1   0.9   .450   .426   16.09
Jeff Green   SF/PF   Trade   12.8   3.9   1.6   0.8   0.7   .467   .385   15.01
Ricky Rubio   PG   Trade   10.7   4.0   7.3   0.1   2.4   .360   .293   16.20
Zach Randolph   PF(6th Man)   Trade   15.4   11.2   1.4   0.4   0.8   .460   N/A   17.92
Derrick Williams   SF/PF   6th (16)   12.0   5.5   0.6   0.5   0.6   .430   .332   14.55
Kirk Hinrich   PG   7th (2)   7.7   2.6   5.2   0.4   1.1   .377   .390   10.88
Francisco Garcia   SG   8th (24)   5.5   1.6   1.1   0.8   0.8   .393   .374   11.06
Beno Udrih   PG   10th (24)   8.2   2.1   4.6   0.0   0.6   .441   .333   14.28
Channing Frye   PF / C   11th (2)   10.5   5.9   1.4   1.1   0.7   .416   .346   14.92
Vitor Faverani   C   12th (24)   9.3   4.6   0.7   0.7   0.3   .594   N/A   N/A
Jeremy Evans   SF   13th (2)   2.0   1.6   0.3   0.4   0.2   .614   N/A   19.88

Draft Philosophy:

My draft philosophy was all about finding the perfect fit for my team regardless of if they were the best available talent or not. You can have 5 of the most talented players in the world, and they can all be stat machines but if they don’t each fit together, bringing a unique talent and skill that meshes with the rest of the team, then your ship is not going to sail. I certainly wanted to build a team that could contend right now, but was young enough to grow together and be contenders for the future or the next five to seven years. My plan going into each round was to nab the best fit for my team, and if I didn’t see a fit at my particular pick, I wanted to trade down in that current round while swapping later picks to move up further on down the draft.

This strategy proved to be successful as I was able to get a great top heavy top three core and then surround them with above average role playing veterans, starters and bench players, that mesh well together on the court and have stable off the court presence and leadership as well. I wanted to draft high basketball IQ players that get “it”. I wanted to draft versatile players that could play multiple positions so my team could play any type of tempo, against any type of squad, and be ready for anything that was thrown their way. I wanted a team that could run in small ball fashion, pound the paint, lock down the opposing team, or slow things down.

After I was autodrafted Rondo, which I was happy with, I knew I needed a cornerstone center because every contending franchise needs a legit middle man. Lopez was that guy. A proven efficient player on both sides of the ball and still young. Picking Lopez and Sanders in rounds 2 and 3 respectively was huge for me. I wanted to create a front court duo that not only compliment each other perfectly but could protect the paint with pure length and intimidation. I certainly feel I accomplished that. When I had Rondo, Sanders, and Lopez with my first three picks, I knew I needed a pure spot up shooter and scorer. Enter Kevin Martin. I drafted Harkless because he was one of the better 3’s left on the board and his defensive skills were good for a young player. After the starting 5 was intact through the first 5 rounds I then drafted who I thought was the best player available that could swing between two positions in Derrick Williams. Also keeping in mind when drafting, player value in trades. Not only were these players valuable to my squad, but these versatile players would be valuable to other teams needing to fill multiple holes while I could further assess my situation. With Rondo hurt I needed a PG to take over until his comeback. I selected high IQ, floor general, defensive stickler, and 3 point shooting Kirk Hinrich to lead the squad. With the next pick in the 7th round I though I got great value in Andrea Bargnani to stretch the floor and provide great scoring off the bench. With a solid 8 man rotation, I needed to fill in the rest of the role leading to a solidly intelligent and pesky Garcia, a back up high IQ point guard in Udrih, floor spreading low risk high reward high IQ big man Channing Frye, European big man enforecer down low Faverani, and the high flying high PER of Jeremy Evans.

Toughest Decision:

Deciding to keep Larry Sanders despite many great offers and the persistence of one very awesome GM. I loved my Sanders pick in round 3, I love his fit next to Lopez. He might average 4 blocks per game next to Lopez and ZBo and that is scary. But there were many great offers and many great persuasions as to why I should trade Sanders and take the offers being made. In the end I followed my gut, stayed strong and kept Sanders to form a dangerously formidable big man trio down low that will be a great force to be reckoned with in the league.

Best Move:

Without question, my September 1st trade day. After the draft I was happy with my roster, but I needed an upgrade to my three slot. My Harkless pick wasn’t well received and was better suited as a three off the bench. Williams at the time was my starting three but he didn’t stretch the floor and provide the scoring or defense I wanted out of the position. I engaged in talks with many GMs mainly getting shut down on multiple occasions. Then I sparked discussion with GSW because I was dead set on landing Lamarcus Aldridge and Rondo was the price. So I thought, Rondo has a lot of value, lets shop him because he is injured and see what talent I can get. So I worked more lines after making him available. From GSW I wanted Aldridge and Gay in a Rondo trade and it wasn’t happening. Back and forth back and forth, all Saturday couldn’t find a common ground. Not only with GSW but with multiple teams. Back and forth, back and forth…Then I was given an offer. “How about Rondo/Bargs for Gay/ZBo.” No brainer for me I thought. Talent wise a deal I couldn’t turn down.

However, it left me with a whole at starting PG. So, I worked the GM lines. I contacted the Clippers because Jeff Green was my guy. I wanted him because he was proven to score, shoot, and defend the opposing teams James’, Durant’s etc. I didn’t need a Gay like scorer at the three I needed a three that fit better for my squad and Green was that guy. I also needed a PG. So the Clippers became my target because I thought Rubio would be my perfect facilitator. Didn’t need him to score, just be the floor general, run the offense, and get the ball to guys in their spots which is his greatest strength. So when I asked the Clippers if they would be interested in Gay if I could obtain them and they said yes. I pursued yet again another long long chain of trade discussion. The Clippers held strong on not giving up Rubio without getting a starting PG in return, Hinrich and Udrih weren’t gonna cut it. From GSW, Reggie Jackson didn’t cut it either. In order to get Green and Rubio, I needed to get Felton. Back to more discussions.

Eventually I was able to net Felton along with Gay and ZBo, somehow, and I was ecstatic. A full days work was coming complete. Even if I had kept Gay and Felton my team would have been gnarley talent wise. But Green and Rubio fit much better and I was able to net them as well and a full Saturday spent Celticsblogging was a gigantic success and the feedback made the venture well worth it and I feel my team has become a gigantic contender because of it.
Rotation and Season Outlook:
I think I have built a contending team that is a force to be reckoned with, having a squad that meshes well, is very deep, and very dangerous.

PG’s: Rubio is there to lead the squad, get the ball to players in their sweet spots. Last year his quickness allowed him to average 2.4 steals per game. Some might say he can’t shoot but he won’t need to with the offensive fire power this team has. Hinirch is a great back up PG and can play some SG as well. He can command the floor, shoot, and play hard D. He is a high IQ player and a pesky defender. Udrih is a crazy good third stringer with a high PER, high IQ and can come in and provide reassurance when needed.

SG’s: Martin is one of the league’s best shooters and can score at will. He will spread the floor and will be able to get open looks from Rubio as well as by playing a great inside out game with ZBo, Lopez, Sanders, Williams, and Green posting up down low. Garcia is a pesky high IQ veteran that can play D, shoot, and hustle. Just one of those guys every team needs.

SF’s: Jeff Green fits the bill as the SF this team needs. He can score, shoot, pass decently, spread the floor, swing between 3 and 4 when needed and most importantly has proven to play great defense on the leagues top talents. Derrick Williams is my dark horse here and as the teams 7th man will be a great talent to have. He can score and switch between the three and floor. And can play alongside Sanders, Lopez, ZBo or a combination of two of them at the same time. Evans comes in as an extremely efficient third stringer who can get the Knicks on the highlight reels once a night.

PF’s: I’m going to start Sanders at the 4 and use ZBo as a crazy super sixth man. Sanders and Lopez is going to be a great force on the floor. Sanders provides the lying in the weeds perfect timing defense that everyone big man covets. He will be able to cover Lopez’s a bit weaker D and weaker rebounding. ZBo can come in off the bench and play alongside both Lopez and Sanders as well as Williams or Green and be a double double machine even off the bench. Williams and Green can also play a few minutes at the 4 slot as well.

C’s: Lopez is one of the best centers in the league. He is a 20 point scorer who is extremely efficient and plays above average defense with his length and big body. Pairing Lopez’s 2 blocks per game with Sanders is going to be an incredibly intimidating force in the middle and will protect the rim greatly. He should be the team’s leading scorer. Frye provides a great IQ big man and stretch the floor when needed. Faverani provides great inside enforcer presence as a third stringer.

Biggest Strength: The dangerous trio of Randolph, Lopez, and Sanders downlow. Teams don’t have this type of fire power downlow and can go up against any front court in the league. Provide that Green and Williams can also play the 4 that is a deadly 5 man front court possibility.

Also. Depth.

Minutes:

Rubio (30)/Hinrich(12)/ Udrih(6)
Martin (28)/Hinrich(10)/Garcia (10)
Green (32)/Williams (16)/ Evans
Sanders(14)/Zbo(30)/Williams(4)
Lopez(30)/Sanders(16)/Frye(2)/Faverani

Expectation: Finals baby!

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 08:04:23 AM by pearljammer10 »

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 11:07:02 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Boston Celtics
Coach: Greg Popovich
Manager: Edgar

Scoring Stats (click title to enlarge)

Misc Stats

*Not standard 2013 stats
Pau Gasol: 11-12 stats
Jonas Valanciunas: Games in which he played >30 mins
Gordon Hayward: Stats as a starter
Corey Brewer: mislabeled, they're standard
Evan Fournier: Post-Gallo injury in Denver
Terrence Jones: Post All-Star
Darrell Arthur: 10-11 Stats (pre-achillies injury)
Patrick Beverley: Post All-Star

Kyrie Irving / Isaiah Thomas / Patrick Beverley
Gordon Hayward / Evan Fournier / Patrick Beverley
Danilo Gallinari / Corey Brewer / Hayward
Pau Gasol / Darrell Arthur / Danilo Gallinari /
Jonas Valanciunas / Pau Gasol / Pero Antic

Deep Bench: Kent Bazemore, Terrence Jones

Overall Theory:
Greg Popovich is our coach, so...We have that. We knew that where we were picking (13th) was a handicap. Picking dead in the middle, you're too far out to get a surefire-no-questions-asked MVP candidate. But, you're too high to take advantage of the 'Guy everyone forgot' and then turn around in the 2nd and 3rd and make everyone look silly. We also didn't really have the time to pursue trades like we'd have liked. These aren't excuses, merely context.

The Kyrie Era Begins In Earnest:
We went for Kyrie Irving first and foremost, because the kid is a stone-cold assassin and the most versatile scoring guard in the league. Also, since Greg Popovich did wonders with Tony Parker, I don't see how Kyrie Irving couldn't fair much, much better. He's a danger from everywhere, a tough, vocal leader, and entering his third NBA season, is due a sizable improvement to an already elite performance as a PG. Its important when selecting your 'cornerstone' that you get a guy who can steer the ship as a leader. Harden's great, but he's not really a vocal presence. Deron Williams falls into the same category. Kyrie Irving is a 110% kind of overachiever who never accepts losing. If you were wondering what in the holy hell Cleveland was doing this offseason by bringing aboard Andrew Bynum when it would be far more prudent to wait it out for another lottery pick, Irving is why. He's made it known that he's done with the losing, and in just his third year he's ready to ascend into the NBA's top tier of players.

After Irving, we went big early and often. Gasol, Kanter, and Splitter made our next 3 picks. Size matters, and if you don't have a competent bigs rotation, you're goin nowhere. (Where you goin'?)

The Two Towers:
Greg Popovich coached Tim Duncan and David Robinson, and while our guys aren't anywhere near their level, he knows how to utilize two big 7fters effectively. Gasol had an off year last year, but he was recovering from injury for a lot of it, and dealing with Dwights bullcrap for the rest of it. But finally, towards the end of the season, Gasol managed to round himself nearly into old form. Did you know that over the last 8 games of the season Gasol averaged 38 minutes, 17 points, 12 rebounds and 51% shooting?

I think a big part of this is Dwight's insistence that he have a larger role offensively, coupled with his lesser skill level. Dwight wanted more touches, but he can't do nearly as much with the ball as Gasol, and Pau's numbers suffered for it.

Enter Jonas Valanciunas. He can finish around the rim, but he basically shoots 40% from anywhere within the 3pt line, and uses an accurate and reliable hook shot and basic but effective series of post moves and counters to keep himself very effective out to 10 feet.

Pairing him with Gasol gives us two big men who can score with efficiency and versatility in the post who don't require a huge amount of touches. The bookends in the middle are very important, because Gasol's versatility as a passer is critical to the Celtics' success. Rather than sit tight with 3 viable weapons in Irving, Gasol, and Valanciunas, we went out and got SOME MORE!!

Boston Wings, Or, 'Ya Can't Stop All Of Us!!':
Greg Popovich enjoys eating his steaks raw, and only does so after defeating a mature battle-hardened Texas bull in hand-to-horn combat. Gordon Hayward and Danilo Gallinari round out the starting rotation, and their skillsets mesh perfectly with what Boston is trying to do. Hayward, a 40%+ 3pt shooter, effective ball-handler, and gifted passer supplements Kyrie Irving as initiator on the offense, as well as playing the role of spot-up shooter when need be. Gallinari plays the roll of vintage Lamar Odom, scoring from deep, creating off the dribble, passing well, and creating his own shot when the situation necessitates it. He can switch from the 3 to the 4 as well, which means we can give a lot of different looks depending on the style of play. Greg Popovich is our coach.

The versatility of our wings, the skill level of our bigs, the talent of our point, impossible offense to hold down. IMPOSSIBLE.

But I want to complain about injuries and other bullcrap that doesn't matter!!:

Sigh. Of course you do, you miserable unsatisfied person who lost your childhood wonder so now you want to inflict skepticism on everyone else as a kind of equalizer, even though you know that nothing will ever get back that feeling you had when you were 12 and you rode a rollercoaster for the first time.

Kyrie Insurance: Isaiah Thomas is a scoring wunderkind and a minutes workhorse who can step in to start games and still produce. He's proven that. Patrick Beverley is a defensive bulldog who can score from deep and plays 1000 miles an hour at all times (at either guard position). The two of them added together doesn't equal a Kyrie, but it equals a starting caliber point guard.

Gallo Insurance: Gordon Hayward is a 'Wing' more than he's a 2-guard or a 3, and when Gallo is out to start the season, Hayward will play 35 minutes or so split between the two. Behind him are Evan Fournier and Patrick Beverley at the 2, and Corey Brewer (who will get the start) at the 3. Its not going to replace Gallo's production, but it will mitigate the loss of him in the lineup somewhat.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:44:36 AM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 12:17:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
New York: What do you say to a critique that having Zach Randolph come off the bench might be a mistake? ZBo and Lopez would appear to be a better combo in the starting lineup as Sanders and Lopez are really both natural centers and Sanders offense is extremely limited possibly causing there to be too much pressure for Lopez to be the only offensive inside option against teams starting and better defensive lineups?

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 12:21:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Boston: Was there a real effort on the management's part to target younger players with upside rather than veteran players with proven ability and results? I often saw Boston drafting "potential" type players when players that I felt were more proven commodities were still on the board. Do you worry this could effect any shot at a 4th straight trip to the Finals?

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 12:46:41 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I have no further questions since Nick already asked what pretty much is the top question.

Overall, New York is a complete contending squad. Full of talent that seems to fit each other. I still think Randolph should start but I believe you have a rebuttal about that question.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 12:58:09 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I am a glass half full guy and I believe Kyrie will have a strong healthy season. You can never go wrong with Pau's skills as well. And JV is a developing beast. Careful for foul trouble though.

Scoring won't be a problem for Boston with Irving, Galo, Pau and to some extent Hayward.

The bench is solid, with energy guys like Arthur and Brewer coming in.

My only concern is Kyrie's defense (;D), but I guess it's nitpicking.

Overall, to IMO this team will contend to make a playoff spot.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 01:00:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Boston: Was there a real effort on the management's part to target younger players with upside rather than veteran players with proven ability and results? I often saw Boston drafting "potential" type players when players that I felt were more proven commodities were still on the board. Do you worry this could effect any shot at a 4th straight trip to the Finals?

Thanks for the question.

We targeted the players we felt was the BPA or the BPA that best addressed a critical need, rather than the choice that might get a golf-clap from the stodgy traditionalists in the peanut gallery.

And it wasn't just younger guys. Pau Gasol was slipping because of an off year, we felt he was under-valued in the late second. Tiago Splitter (28) was slipping in the 4th and we felt he was drastically under-valued.

Picking 13th, and without a lot of time to devote to PM-box spamming for trades, it was important to us to assemble a team that we felt strongly could succeed. Its also why a lot of our trades might have seemed conservative.

Some guys we took bigger risks on than others. Evan Fournier is probably the biggest reach, followed by Kent Bazemore. Those guys I think will produce well beyond their drafted position (Fournier in the 7th, Bazemore in the 12th) based on actual play. But, they probably could've both waited a round.

But some of the 'potential' guys aren't really risks at all Patrick Beverley for instance was finishing games for the Rockets last year ahead of Jeremy Lin, and was used at any position 1-3 towards the end of the season and into the playoffs. He put Toney Douglas out of a job, and is now the darkhorse to take the starting position away from Linsanity in Houston next year. Terrance Jones is in a heated competition (and the probable frontrunner) for the starting gig at the 4 in Houston, and played well last season when he was given significant minutes. Pero Antic pretty much has the backup C spot in Atlanta sewn up, and he'll be a cult hero by January.

Then there are guys who are young, but aren't really risks at all. Isaiah Thomas is only entering his 3rd year, but he's one of the best microwave scorers in the league, and he's played more than 25 mpg and been healthy for more than 95% of regular season games both years he's been a pro.

Gordon Hayward is a rising star, and the 3rd or 2nd most promising 2 in the league, behind Harden and possibly Beal (I don't think so personally), Jonas Valanciunas started 57 games last year and post-allstar he was playing 27 mpg, got his fouling under control, and was getting 11 and 7 while shooting 58%. 

Nobody we targeted was a 'in a couple years' guy, outside of maybe Bazemore. Everyone we took we're assuming to be impact players at least and/or probable starters for their respective teams next year, and productive ones at that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:18:43 PM by IndeedProceed »

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 01:07:48 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
New York: You have a lot of very strong pieces, but nobody who's ever been "the guy" on an elite team, and many have never been on an elite team in any capacity.  Who would you say is your team's leader, and who is the go-to guy down the stretch of a close game?  If they're different people, how would you/Coach Karl handle that?

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 01:17:55 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I am a glass half full guy and I believe Kyrie will have a strong healthy season. You can never go wrong with Pau's skills as well. And JV is a developing beast. Careful for foul trouble though.

Scoring won't be a problem for Boston with Irving, Galo, Pau and to some extent Hayward.

The bench is solid, with energy guys like Arthur and Brewer coming in.

My only concern is Kyrie's defense (;D), but I guess it's nitpicking.

Overall, to IMO this team will contend to make a playoff spot.

Thanks for the comment Yoki.

Regarding JV's foul trouble...this kind of sprung up out of nowhere I think. Post-allstar he was averaging 27 mpg and 3.1 fouls in that time. For context, that's 4.1 per 36, and that's less than Larry Sanders, Boogie Cousins, Ed Davis, Andre Drummond, Roy Hibbert, Elton Brand, Amare Stoudemire, Kosta Koufos...you get the point. JV's fouling situation could be better, but its hardly a handicap. 

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 01:21:52 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
New York: What do you say to a critique that having Zach Randolph come off the bench might be a mistake? ZBo and Lopez would appear to be a better combo in the starting lineup as Sanders and Lopez are really both natural centers and Sanders offense is extremely limited possibly causing there to be too much pressure for Lopez to be the only offensive inside option against teams starting and better defensive lineups?

My main question as well for New York. I would think that you'd need to start ZBo, to keep him happy/engaged, and also to allow Sanders to be as aggressive as possible on defense.

Another question: do you really view Derrick Williams as a 3 in today's NBA? He seems more like a stretch four (at least, this is where he played the overwhelming majority of his minutes last season). I think you'll likely need to shift Garcia to backup SF duty for most of his minutes.

Lastly, any concerns about your C rotation? Hearing positive updates re: Frye's return, but he's still a yellow flag at best, and you've got a first-year NBA player as your remaining backup.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 02:36:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It seems like a lot of people have this concern.  I actually prefer to have Sanders starting. 

First, I think Randolph would enjoy being the man on the second unit. 

Second, I think that starting Sanders makes up for some of Lopez' sub-par defense and rebounding. 

The first unit doesn't really need the offense, between Lopez, Martin and Green.  If Sanders gives his typical 10 points off of putbacks and alley oops, that should be all they need.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 02:43:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Boston management (IP):  After a Buffalo Bills' like run of Finals appearances, what caused this year to transform into the J.P. Losman era? 

No, but seriously, I can buy into your team in 2016.  What's the realistic upside for 2014, though?

Any drafting regrets?

And lastly, would you buy this type of "analysis" if the CrotoNats did it?

*Not standard 2013 stats
Pau Gasol: 11-12 stats
Jonas Valanciunas: Games in which he played >30 mins
Gordon Hayward: Stats as a starter
Corey Brewer: mislabeled, they're standard
Evan Fournier: Post-Gallo injury in Denver
Terrence Jones: Post All-Star
Darrell Arthur: 10-11 Stats (pre-achillies injury)
Patrick Beverley: Post All-Star

;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 02:48:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Question for all GMs:

My very preliminary rankings for the conference are as follows:

1. New York
2. Atlanta
3. Miami
4. Cleveland
5. Indiana
6. Orlando
7. Boston
8. Washington
9. Chicago
10. Milwaukee
11. Brooklyn
12. Detroit
13.  Philadelphia

Especially as related to Boston, Brooklyn, and Philly, why have I underestimated your team, and where should it be?

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 02:59:05 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I don't think it is a mistake as I actually prefer to have Sanders in my starting unit alongside Lopez. Lopez and Sanders were my second and third picks respectively and since the beginning of the draft I knew I was going to start them alongside each other regardless of who else I could get in the draft or through trade. Plus, I for some reason have always viewed Sanders as a PF/C rather than just a straight center like most.

Having Sanders alongside Lopez in the starting unit makes perfect sense to me chemistry wise. Sanders is a guy who effects the game greatly without needing the ball in his hands. Lopez, Green, and Martin are all going to be calling for plenty of touches on the offensive end. Sanders will be free to roam and crash the offensive glass without taking away from the heavy offense of the other three. Lopez is also one of the better first quarter players in the game. Our team will be feeding him the ball in the first quarter, having Sanders opposed to ZBo in the starting unit will allow Lopez to do his work when he is at his best.

Sanders also makes up for Lopez's weaker rebounding and slightly weaker defensive ability. Sanders is a defensive stud, and yes his energy would be nice off the bench but it is just as nice to start the game off alongside Lopez and set the tone right from the beginning. Sanders might average four blocks a game playing alongside Lopez and his bigger body, while laying in the weeds on the weakside.

As the first player off the bench, ZBo will benefit greatly. He will be "the man" of the second unit, play against either tired starters or not as talented bench players on the opposing teams and will be getting as many touches as he can handle. I expect that Randolph's points and rebounding total will either stay the same or possibly even increase in this role, still playing 30+ minutes a night.