Author Topic: JSD's Off-Topic nonsense  (Read 49716 times)

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
I hope the new MLB boss addresses the tempo of the game and speeds things up. That would vastly improve the TV product of the game, and I think the added excitement would bring the kids back and increase the popularity of the sport. I'm excited for a new era in baseball.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: JSD's Off Topic Thread: TP's here have become a joke (09/27/13)
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2013, 08:38:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Gamers have inflated stats while the rest of us look pathetic.

I agree with the first part, about the TPs not being necessarily linked to meaningful posts. 

I don't think that a low TP count makes anybody look pathetic, though. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think TP totals have always been mostly meaningless, but the act of giving a TP is still pretty cool. 

It's a nice, small gesture to show appreciation for another poster, and it cuts down on the "This." "+1" type emptyposting.  And I like that it can be done anonymously, so all the recipient knows is that somebody out there appreciates what they're doing.  It's a really nice system, as long as you don't put any stock in the total number.

Re: JSD's Off Topic Thread
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2013, 07:36:34 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I should have went iPhone from the beginning of the smartphone era. I'm just an Apple guy. I love the user-ability, the seamless attachment to iTunes, being able to mess around and make music with Garageband anywhere I am. I just love this phone. To think I spent a half a decade with an Android...

« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
@AustinRivers25 Your pops could have just said "One of best franchise in sports history". He's too smart. That was calculated. Why say that?

I had to.

« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2013, 08:32:50 PM »

Kiorrik

I should have went iPhone from the beginning of the smartphone era. I'm just an Apple guy. I love the user-ability, the seamless attachment to iTunes, being able to mess around and make music with Garageband anywhere I am. I just love this phone. To think I spent a half a decade with an Android...

Funny, I'm about to switch to Android :)

Sick of how "closed" the iPhone is. How dependent on iTunes (which I loathe, it just doesn't work for how I use computers) and MacOS, as I use Windows.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the iPhone as a standalone product. It does everything it should, in a perfect way. The reason it's all perfect goes hand in hand with it's closed nature.

I'd also love to work on some mobile applications on my own, and this costs money to do for iOS, and is free and a lot easier on Android.

---

Funny thing: when people ask me what to get, 9 out of 10 times, I'll still tell them to get an iPhone.

Yet, I'm getting the Nexus 5 the day it comes out :]

(I'm currently still on an ancient iPhone 3GS!)

« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2013, 08:42:50 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Yeah Kiorrik, it's not for everyone. For more in depth mobile computing people, Android is the way to go because of it's openness. I'm actually surprised you were ever an iPhone guy. I know that you're big into computer stuff. My buddy Pete does all sorts of crazy stuff with his Android. Controls his home computer from his phone ect.

For me, the music, the seamless integration with my iTunes, iPhoto, Garageband ect. on my home computer. I feel like I set myself back from going further with my hobbies because of not choosing the iPhone from the beginning of my leap to having a smartphone. This phone was and is for me.

« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2013, 09:38:44 PM »

Kiorrik

Yeah Kiorrik, it's not for everyone. For more in depth mobile computing people, Android is the way to go because of it's openness. I'm actually surprised you were ever an iPhone guy. I know that you're big into computer stuff. My buddy Pete does all sorts of crazy stuff with his Android. Controls his home computer from his phone ect.

For me, the music, the seamless integration with my iTunes, iPhoto, Garageband ect. on my home computer. I feel like I set myself back from going further with my hobbies because of not choosing the iPhone from the beginning of my leap to having a smartphone. This phone was and is for me.

Yeah that makes perfect sense mate. My girlfriend runs MacOS on her PC (hackintosh!) and she's got a Macbook Pro. I also gave her an iPad for her birthday back in January, which she's been using like crazy; writing screenplays, doing research for photoshoots, email, browsing, plants vs zombies (lol!)...

She desperately needs a new phone - old Nokia atm - and we'll get her an iPhone5S. For sure. Just the whole ecosystem... it's perfect.

And yup. I just want to be able to click&drag music to my phone without that whole syncing hassle.

Having said all of that, my main job is design. Print, web, all of it. So I *should* be a Mac guy ;) Something like 95% of all designers work on Macs! And I do love my iPhone. It's a brilliant device, and I appreciate the sleekness.

Gotta try everything, right? :) At the very least, it allows me to be subjective about these things.

« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2013, 04:21:57 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlOxlSOr3_M

One of the best pranks I've seen. Brilliant marketing for the movie Carrie.

« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2013, 05:10:04 PM »

Kiorrik

lol JSD :]

I had to share that with my Facebook buddies. Awesome. I love me a good prank. Always try to think of what I'd do in a situation like that. I'd love to think that I'd just jump the chick and tell her to calm the bleep down :]

I'd probably leg it though. (That's my super-power: "fleeing the scene".)

« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2013, 06:50:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlOxlSOr3_M

One of the best pranks I've seen. Brilliant marketing for the movie Carrie.

It's very cool, but I was a little disappointed to hear that everyone seated in the shop were extras.  Only a couple of the folks at the counter were actually random people scared by the experience.  That was probably explained in the setup, but who watches that stuff?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2013, 09:23:33 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRVOOwFNp5U

This kid sounds like a young Eminem. I love it.

« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2013, 12:26:07 AM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I just began watching Sportscenter again after a 6 year boycott over Spygate. I must say, I'm really enjoying the content for the most part.

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2013, 11:51:19 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I have friends who are air-traffic controllers and hold other various positions in the federal government. I'll tell you, it amazes me the sense of entitlement that folks that work for the federal government have. Apparently they are not susceptible to layoffs like the rest of us.

« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2013, 12:59:11 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
I have friends who are air-traffic controllers and hold other various positions in the federal government. I'll tell you, it amazes me the sense of entitlement that folks that work for the federal government have. Apparently they are not susceptible to layoffs like the rest of us.

I don't doubt that the folks you know, especially the air traffic controllers, project that attitude. More on that later.

When you look at the number of feds you know versus the number of feds who are out there you have to realize you are talking about a miniscule sample size.  Extrapolating the few to the whole is like concluding that all NBA players are slugs because Mark Blount is a slug.

Most federal workers put in a fair day's work for a fair wage and benefits. The pay they get is, for the most part, comparable to their private sector counterparts'. They are not immune to the economic pressures we all feel, and most have not had a pay raise in almost three years. And one tradeoff they face for relatively secure jobs which offer some protection in lean times is that they don't see bonuses, profit-sharing etc that the private sector enjoys in good times.

I am not surprised that you know folks with a sense of entitlement.  You will find that in every segment of society. These are the vocal ones. The vast majority keep their heads down and quietly plow ahead.

Air traffic controllers are a bit of an anomaly. They work a job that requires a bit of ego to do well. For some (by no means all) that translates into a sense of importance that can lead to entitlement. Fair or not, that is why controllers have a spoiled brat reputation even among the federal community.

My credentials on the subject are that I recently retired from a 34 year federal career in air traffic control, the last 20+ of which was in management. During many team meetings, we discussed the importance of public service. I often urged young controllers to look at the help wanted ads (when newspapers still had such a thing) to keep in perspective what they had. When they would talk about their neighbors who brought home a HUGE end-of-year bonus, I would remind them that they would have an even cash flow when their neighbor had a lean year.

I have also worked with and for countless feds on various projects across agency lines.

In my experience, federal employees, including controllers, (and I have known many hundreds of them) work hard, take the concept of public service seriously, despite the few who mouth off and project otherwise.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.