Author Topic: JSD's Off-Topic nonsense  (Read 49700 times)

Re: JSD's Off Topic Thread: TP's here have become a joke (09/27/13)
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2013, 12:38:22 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Case in point: the CB Hall of Famer above me, literally one of the best posters in the history of this site, hasn't even cracked 300 TP's? This is ridiculous.

Well, l will say that a lot of us had our TP counts wiped out after the 2010 NBA Finals where we were wagering them on a Celtics title. That dropped several of us back to zero.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Speaking of TP, I will have to buy some when I go to Loblaws this Saturday ;D

Nobody understood your Canadian supermarket reference.  ;) Replace "Loblaws" with Market Basket, folks.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2013, 12:49:49 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Case in point: the CB Hall of Famer above me, literally one of the best posters in the history of this site, hasn't even cracked 300 TP's? This is ridiculous.

Well, l will say that a lot of us had our TP counts wiped out after the 2010 NBA Finals where we were wagering them on a Celtics title. That dropped several of us back to zero.

Oh I know, I was reset too. My point is, on over 3 years, you haven't at least recouped the loss and it is silly. The standards have changed since before that 2010 Final. Gamers have inflated stats while the rest of us look pathetic.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2013, 01:30:12 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

Oh I know, I was reset too. My point is, on over 3 years, you haven't at least recouped the loss and it is silly. The standards have changed since before that 2010 Final. Gamers have inflated stats while the rest of us look pathetic.

I don't think people care about TPs anymore. So people don't necessarily relate the TP count to the quality of one's posts. Not anymore, or at least I don't. Personally, I give one to any post that I find humourous and also to my fellow GMs in Lucky's H2H league upon a successful trade.

As far as gamers are concerned, TPs are the only way to reward the "winners", and I'm okay with that (full disclosure: I used to participate in PAPOUG until a couple of years ago and won it a few times).
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

Re: JSD's Off Topic Thread (Rants, Pop Culture, Music, Funny Stuff, No Politics)
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2013, 01:37:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
TP's have become the biggest joke on Celticsblog! All they tell now is that is play you games on here and cheaply pad your stats. I've wagered away over 1000 TPs on here thinking they would be easy to replace by sharing interesting, relevant or funny content or with an insightful comment.  Not the case anymore around here.

Not gonna argue with that it.  TPs have certainly drifted away from their intended purpose.
They became a status symbol for a while, that was problematic for a number of reasons.

I much prefer it now that they're largely ignored except as currency for forum games. Ideally they could just be used for the intended purpose, but it didn't work out in practice.

Re: JSD's Off Topic Thread (Rants, Pop Culture, Music, Funny Stuff, No Politics)
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2013, 01:48:41 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Hah, thanks. The lag on my phone messed my last rant up, but folks get the gist.
This "folks" still gives them for funny, clever, brilliant comments as well as for game rewards.  If you think you have not received enough "thanks" I will give you one too, so no one will feel sorry for you.  "Thanks" is more in the eye of the one who actually says thanks than in the soul of the one who receives it, and the beauty of this system is that the "thanks" are anonomous.  People who do things only to garner the appreciation of others is doing things for the wrong reason, in my opinion.  I enjoy this little way of giving  praise, and I am sorry you do not approve of it.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2013, 01:58:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
TP's have become the biggest joke on Celticsblog! All they tell now is that is play you games on here and cheaply pad your stats. I've wagered away over 1000 TPs on here thinking they would be easy to replace by sharing interesting, relevant or funny content or with an insightful comment.  Not the case anymore around here.

I still get them for being maddeningly insightful and undeniably hilarious. That's just the way I ball.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2013, 02:09:12 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson

I still get them for being undeniably maddeningly . That's just the way I ball.
Fixed.     ;)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2013, 04:16:01 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Count me as confused and oblivious (my wife would certainly  agree).   

I seem to get TPs when people have appreciated something I have said, and I give them when I appreciate something others have said.  Since I don't really follow others' counts, and since I kind of like the occasionally recognition, I have never seen a problem with them.  I hope the use of TPs continues as I think it's a nice component -- not essential, but nice.  It's probably best not to think of it as a competition and just give as the spirit moves.

« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I still get them for being undeniably maddeningly . That's just the way I ball.
Fixed.     ;)

UNDENIABLY MADDENINGLY WHAT??!!!! WE HAVE TO KNOW!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2013, 05:11:48 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
She just accidentally a word, naturally.

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2013, 05:50:46 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
She just accidentally a word, naturally.
That was just me being undeniably maddingly, too.

You know, IP....it is a trait we share....sweet and cuddly!   8) (Well, maybe two traits...)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:59:33 PM by thirstyboots18 »
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2013, 06:56:11 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
2 TPs walk into a bar.  One TP turns to the other and says, "HEY, am I crAzy or is that bartender a cow?"  2nd TP replies, "yeh, that is pretty crazy.  The place has really gone to the dumps since the horse sold it."

Now THAT'S TPs becoming a joke...

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:03:15 PM by Redz »
Yup

« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2013, 07:43:08 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Hah, thanks. The lag on my phone messed my last rant up, but folks get the gist.
This "folks" still gives them for funny, clever, brilliant comments as well as for game rewards.  If you think you have not received enough "thanks" I will give you one too, so no one will feel sorry for you.  "Thanks" is more in the eye of the one who actually says thanks than in the soul of the one who receives it, and the beauty of this system is that the "thanks" are anonomous.  People who do things only to garner the appreciation of others is doing things for the wrong reason, in my opinion.  I enjoy this little way of giving  praise, and I am sorry you do not approve of it.
I don't think I've ever agreed with anything more.  I can't stand reading all the posts that only exist to say, "I just gave you a TP."

Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Matthew 6: 1-4
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2013, 07:48:54 PM »

Kiorrik

Posting "TP" can also be seen as "I want you to know that I respect what you just did".

Or just "thank you".

I wouldn't read into it too much, or care about it too much.