Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: How's my CB Draft Team look?  (Read 251692 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: How's my CB Draft Team look?
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2013, 02:10:38 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

PG TBD
SG Andre Iguodala
SF Danny Granger/Thaddeus Young
PF Kevin Love/Thaddeus Young
C JaVale McGee

Coach Rick Carlisle

This is a tough team to judge because I'm not sure what to make of Granger right now.

I like the frontcourt.  The overall balance of talent and offense and even ball handling from Iguodala allows you a bit of flexibility for your PG team.  I'm not sure I see this core being a contender yet until it fills out more.  I'm also lower on Thad Young than most others.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2013, 02:35:33 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Your center position is pretty weak.  Splitter was an absolute mess in the finals and can't be on the floor against small ball if Pau is your PF.

Hm. I disagree with you vehemently, absent Splitter's poor finals. But it wasn't just splitter who played below par during that series, and if you use his starting stats from last season, especially as it went on, he was one of the better centers in the league. A good man defender, decent rebounder, and elite finisher (for the position).

Small ball obviously Gallo slides to the 4, but I don't see the reason to play it much. Jonas and Splitter are both starting caliber 5's, with Jonas poised to make a big jump forward next season.

I agree with everything in your first paragraph other than he was "one of the best centers in the league".  Best what?  One of the best 30 centers?   Sure.  Seriously though, I actually like Splitter a lot as a player*.  But neither he nor Val are a top 15 NBA center and this is a 25 team league.  So I'd say your center position is relatively weak.  And if you get matched up against a well constructed team that goes small ball with Lebron, Durant, or Melo at the 4... Pau and Splitter can't be on the floor together.  Ask Pops.

I do see what you're trying to do here and I like the frontcourt size you've got going on (typically a winning CB Draft strategy), but I'm just pointing out weakness where I feel it exists.

I agree that Gallo could slide to the 4 in small ball and I like that a lot about him on this team.  But that also means you've got 3 of your top 5 picks playing one position (and some backup PF).  That's why I think Val should go.  I say Val because I like Splitter, but if you are higher on Val, maybe see what Splitter's trade value is around the league. 

----
*You can probably find posts from me that was ok with some kind of KG for Kawhi+Splitter trade after Rondo went down before Kawhi Leonard became a household name.  I do like Splitter a lot.

Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2013, 02:43:21 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I agree with everything in your first paragraph other than he was "one of the best centers in the league".  Best what?  One of the best 30 centers?   Sure.  Seriously though, I actually like Splitter a lot as a player*.  But neither he nor Val are a top 15 NBA center and this is a 25 team league.  So I'd say your center position is relatively weak.  And if you get matched up against a well constructed team that goes small ball with Lebron, Durant, or Melo at the 4... Pau and Splitter can't be on the floor together.  Ask Pops.

Actually, big reason why Pops is on the squad; he realized that when he played Splitter and Duncan together this year towards the latter half of the season his offense jumped from 'pretty good' to 'best in the league' (or close).

Really, look it up. It's some obscene 120 points per 100 possessions or something. And as per the 'best', I said 'one of the better', and that's 100% true efficiency wise. Teams and centers scored less, and the Spurs scored more with Splitter on the floor. He's got a ridiculous +7.1 PER against opposing centers, +6.1 pp48 against opposing centers. Pretty spectacular numbers, and since the Spurs thought it right to blow up his available checking balance this offseason, I think that's gotta do nothing but help the perception.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2013, 02:45:39 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Do the Knicks!

Rondo
Martin
Harkless
Sanders
Lopez

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2013, 02:57:46 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo

Actually, big reason why Pops is on the squad; he realized that when he played Splitter and Duncan together this year towards the latter half of the season his offense jumped from 'pretty good' to 'best in the league' (or close).

Really, look it up. It's some obscene 120 points per 100 possessions or something. And as per the 'best', I said 'one of the better', and that's 100% true efficiency wise. Teams and centers scored less, and the Spurs scored more with Splitter on the floor. He's got a ridiculous +7.1 PER against opposing centers, +6.1 pp48 against opposing centers. Pretty spectacular numbers, and since the Spurs thought it right to blow up his available checking balance this offseason, I think that's gotta do nothing but help the perception.

I believe it regarding the stats.  I like Splitter a lot.  I currently like him and Duncan together and I would like him and Pau together too I think.  But note that I'm not mentioning the course of the regular season as your stats refer to, I was specifically talking about if you get matched up against a well constructed team that play Lebron, KD, or Melo at the 4 in the playoffs.  There is an issue there that still exists no matter what Splitter did against the rest of the NBA that plays mostly prototypical basketball during the regular season.

Now that I've seen a few squads, it looks like you'll avoid that issue with Lebron if that team keeps Ibaka and Jordan.  I haven't seen the KD or Melo teams yet.  Maybe you won't even encounter this issue, but I was just pointing it out.

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2013, 02:59:04 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
Do the Knicks!

Rondo
Martin
Harkless
Sanders
Lopez

I know so little about Moe Harkless unfortunately... but I really like the other 4 guys.  That is some good talent and some pretty good fits.  You'll need a good backup PG while Rondo is out.

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2013, 03:21:09 AM »

fitzhickey

Do the Knicks!

Rondo
Martin
Harkless
Sanders
Lopez
Really like this team, although I'm not the most knowledgeable about harkless
Sanders and Lopez would be quite intimidating, and rondo would create some good looks for Martin
You need another point as another poster said to cover for rondo while he is out
Overall fond of this team

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2013, 07:50:22 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
PG- Tony Parker
SG- Eric Gordon
SF- AK47
PF- Kenneth Faried
C- Enes Kanter
Thoughts?

I don't like Kirilenko and Faried starting alongside one another. I don't think they will work well together. Not skilled enough offensively.

I think the Spurs will need a more skilled forward in one of those spots. With either AK-47 or Faried moving to the bench or with one of them leaving in a trade for that more skilled SF or PF.

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2013, 08:09:33 AM »

fitzhickey

PG- Tony Parker
SG- Eric Gordon
SF- AK47
PF- Kenneth Faried
C- Enes Kanter
Thoughts?

I don't like Kirilenko and Faried starting alongside one another. I don't think they will work well together. Not skilled enough offensively.

I think the Spurs will need a more skilled forward in one of those spots. With either AK-47 or Faried moving to the bench or with one of them leaving in a trade for that more skilled SF or PF.
Thanks for the feedback
Will be taken into consideration
TP

« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2013, 08:59:42 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
PG- Tony Parker
SG- Eric Gordon
SF- AK47
PF- Kenneth Faried
C- Enes Kanter
Thoughts?

I think TP and Gordon are both good talents, but not a good fit with eachother.  Both play well with the ball in their hands.  Parker is at his best playing pick and roll basketball with a PF/C.  Who is that guy on this team?  I think you should look at working hard to acquire one.

I think E.Gordon and T.Parker will work great together. Very similar to Ginobili + Parker.

« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2013, 11:39:12 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Curious as to why you wouldn't believe in Okafor as a starting center.  His defensive win shares had him in the top 25 (#23 actually) of all players last season.  I don't need to him to score much, just play D and rebound.  He does those as well as most any center.

Well, he basically allowed as good as he gave as a center last year (82games), and that's allowing slightly above average production. Okafor isn't a great rim protector, he's just..you know..okay. Then coupled with his penchant for shooting jumpers and not being particularly good at it (which he does by necessity because he's not a particularly strong, quick, skilled, or athletic option), I think he's just an okay option. Not the guy Id want starting at my 5.

Just about every defensive metric that exists shows Emeka to be in the top third of centers on the defensive end, ahead of many centers with more "reputation".

Okafor isn't a flashy defender; he isn't super-atheletic, and doesn't block a lot of shots, but he is a very fundamentally solid player and physically difficult to move off the block.  Okafor is just one of those defenders that knows how to be in position and force you into a tougher shot.

I'm simply relying on him to make the opposing center work for their points, and score 6-10pts on putbacks and easy layups created by the floor spacing my shooters provide.  He's proven he is more than capable of filling the role I have him in.

« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2013, 12:21:11 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
PG- Tony Parker
SG- Eric Gordon
SF- AK47
PF- Kenneth Faried
C- Enes Kanter
Thoughts?

I think TP and Gordon are both good talents, but not a good fit with eachother.  Both play well with the ball in their hands.  Parker is at his best playing pick and roll basketball with a PF/C.  Who is that guy on this team?  I think you should look at working hard to acquire one.

I think E.Gordon and T.Parker will work great together. Very similar to Ginobili + Parker.

In which case, Gordon would have to come off the bench.  Ginobili and Parker played very little time on the court together last season.  The top 5 most often played lineups with Parker in it all did not have Ginobili in them.  http://www.82games.com/1213/12SAS1.HTM

« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2013, 12:39:56 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
Detroit Pistons

C: Andre Drummond
PF: Anthony Davis
SF:
SG: Bradley Beal
PG: Eric Bledsoe
6th man: Dion Waiters

Clearly this team has no realistic aspirations to make a run at the title this year. However, I believe they are set up to be contenders in the next 5 years with tremendous potential. Thoughts so far?
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2013, 12:45:46 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Besides a starting SF, what does Cleveland need most?

« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2013, 12:47:28 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Detroit Pistons

C: Andre Drummond
PF: Anthony Davis
SF:
SG: Bradley Beal
PG: Eric Bledsoe
6th man: Dion Waiters

Clearly this team has no realistic aspirations to make a run at the title this year. However, I believe they are set up to be contenders in the next 5 years with tremendous potential. Thoughts so far?

For me this is the clear-cut winner for TOTF. Davis/Drummond is going to be a NASTY combo to face down low in a few years, and you have some very high upside guards. The only issue will be playmaking, as Bledsoe isn't a traditional PG.