Author Topic: Competition for bad teams trading veteran role players to playoff contenders?  (Read 2546 times)

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think an interesting subplot as we enter this season is what other bad teams do in trying to sell off role players for future assets.  We come up with numerous trade scenarios for players like Humphries, Bass, Wallace, Lee, Bogans, and Crawford.  A couple of them like Bogans and Wallace it may be better to hold off a year before trading.  There will be teams fighting for playoff contention looking to add depth to their team in which we could provide help in return for future assets.  Unless if such stroke of luck we are one of those teams fighting for the playoffs.

Other teams that may be in the same boat are Charlotte, Orlando, Philly, Phoenix, and Sacramento.  I'm sure blogs of those teams are trying to think up similar trades as we are.  The rest of the teams in the NBA IMO will at least start off the season not in sell off mode,  but if their playoff hopes dwindle as the season passes, they could be added to the list.

So then I took a look at the rosters of those other 5 teams mentioned to see what players might not be in their future plans, and what they could offer to contending teams

Charlotte
Ben Gordon 13.2 mil 1 year left.
Ramon Sessions 5 mil 1 year left.
Brendan Haywood 2 mil 2 years left.

Orlando
Turkoglu 12 mil 1 year left
Jameer Nelson 8.6 mil 2 years (last year is team option). 
Aaron Afflalo 7.5 mil 3 yrs left.
Glen Davis 6.4 mil  2 yrs left.

Philly
Jason Richardson 6.2 mil 2 years left
Kwame Brown 3 mil 1 year left

Phoenix
Caron Butler 8 mil 1 year left
Marcin Gortat 7.7 mil 1 year left
Goran Dragic 7.5 mil 3 years left. (maybe expendable if Bledsoe outshines him)
Channing Frye 6.4 mil 2 years left
Shannon Brown 3.5 mil 1 year left
Gerald Green 3.5 mil 2 years (doubtful a playoff team would want him but maybe he redeems himself.

Sacramento
John Salmons 7.5 mil 2 years left (2nd year team option)
Chuck Hayes 5.7 mil 2 years left

I would say Phoenix is our main competition in trading role players away especially how they now have an ex Celtics front office guy that might think a little bit like Danny does.  He has already pulled off a nice trade with Luis Scola.  Orlando might be next on the list.  The more competition we have here the tougher it could be to trade guys we want to trade. 

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Good point, TP.

One other question I've had is, who are going to be the buyers for our "assets" (or these other sellers' assets)?

In order for a trade to happen, the contenders need to have players who are (a) comparable salary-wise, and (b) measurably worse than the guys we want to trade tothem. In other words, they need to have players who are horribly overpaid (like Gerald Wallace).

Here is as complete a list as I can find:

Stoudemire
Perkins
Granger (if he's still hurt)
Prince

Am I missing anyone?

Because if I'm not, this makes the problem even worse. You will have a lot of mediocre teams looking to unload players, but few realistic trade partners, which will drive the value of someone like Humphries down.

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
First off- I agree that other teams will attempt a "Harden Move", but given that scenario we're assuming that these teams are:

1. Using Danny's asset gathering method (KG) (or Morey's) (Harden)

2. Willing to take on some salary right before a strong free agent class enters their off-season

3. These teams are ready to plan on contending (have established veterans and role players) immediately after the trade.

However, I feel that the teams listed are not ready to contend.  Because of this the teams "on the hunt" will depend on the draft or free agency, and the Celts have a nice core to compliment a star/multiple stars in comparison.

However, as much as I think we should go for a trade I'm not sure Danny is interested in a short term fix.  I think he wants to start with new players and develop them over time before we get our next KG.  That way the NBA can keep handing the heat more titles until they're burnt out. (Npi) When our core is ready hopefully the NBA's landscape will have evolved in a positive direction from where it is now (WWFNBA) ;D
Truuuuuuuuuth!

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
Good thread, good research. Definately TP worthy.

As I looked at the others teams they did seem to have assets very comparable, or better, than the celtics. So trades are possible but ainge will have to be patient.

Next, as I thought about trade scenarios, it struck me that ainge is not likely to find a good trade partner since it makes little sense for the celtics to simply exchange bad contracts. Why ship out hump for another 1 year, equal contract player?

If ainge does trade itwill haver to be for a truly horrible player AND another asset, perhaps a draft pick or a young talent in addition.

Not sure how many partners exist that fit that description. Anyone here have ideas?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Why ship out hump for another 1 year, equal contract player?

You can theoretically trade Humphries for a smaller expiring contract.  Then, the Celtics would have the room under the luxury tax threshold to cut Donte Green and bring in someone else Ainge likes.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Good point, TP.

One other question I've had is, who are going to be the buyers for our "assets" (or these other sellers' assets)?

In order for a trade to happen, the contenders need to have players who are (a) comparable salary-wise, and (b) measurably worse than the guys we want to trade tothem. In other words, they need to have players who are horribly overpaid (like Gerald Wallace).

Here is as complete a list as I can find:

Stoudemire
Perkins
Granger (if he's still hurt)
Prince

Am I missing anyone?

Because if I'm not, this makes the problem even worse. You will have a lot of mediocre teams looking to unload players, but few realistic trade partners, which will drive the value of someone like Humphries down.

Thanks for the TP.   That is the other dilemma with your points A and B.  There is not much to that list, and the only way it might expand is in the case of an injury for example if Boozer goes down for the season.