Author Topic: trade for Gordon Hayward idea  (Read 12042 times)

Re: trade for Gordon Hayward idea
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 03:31:55 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd love to have him on my team but I don't understand why Utah would want to trade him.

Yeah, I don't see it happening this year, unless they fell in love with Rondo or something, and wanted to turn the franchise around quickly, which is unlikely based on their moves this offseason.

Next offseason it could be a possibility as a sign and trade though.  If Utah doesn't see him worth what he is asking for, Boston could try to swoop in with their trade exception, and give him a pretty big contract. 

But, would we want to give him say, 4 years/$40 million, or something like that?
interesting thought.  I agree they're not trading him this year but if they don't think he's worth what he's asking, that TPE would come in very handy to get him.

I don't think he's worth $10 mill a year though.  If he looks good this year, maybe $7 per or $23 for 3 years

And here is the problem.  What will it take so Utah wouldn't match, and would agree to trade him?  Would $7 million per do it?  Maybe.  Although if it does, it probably means he didn't have a great year.
I'm not going to overpay for a good player.  Great, maybe.  but not just good.

He hasn't put together enough years of really good play to merit $10 mill per year yet.  He's not a center so he can't command that kind of money just based on height either so I think $7 mill for a decent starting SG is reasonable. 

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 03:32:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hayward would probably cost Boston Jeff Green.

Your right. But jeff green of so far and not the monster version late last year.

I dont know why but one way or another, either we trade for him or he comes here via fa in a few years, as long as stevens is still coach i think he will be a celtic.

This season if by trade deadline we are about 8th, 9th, place should we risk it and send our 1st as the main piece for hayward?

Imagine lineup of

Sullinger, olynyk, green, hayward, rondo. Suddenly there is a little less on defense without bradley but alot more offense with hayward. That ability to shoot the three is key. Isnt hayward and klay thompson comparable players?
I imagine years and years of mediocrity with that lineup.

I disagree. Let me ask you, out of sully, oly, green, hayward  who do you consider starting material?

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 03:37:15 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Your right. But jeff green of so far and not the monster version late last year.

I dont know why but one way or another, either we trade for him or he comes here via fa in a few years, as long as stevens is still coach i think he will be a celtic.

This season if by trade deadline we are about 8th, 9th, place should we risk it and send our 1st as the main piece for hayward?

Imagine lineup of

Sullinger, olynyk, green, hayward, rondo. Suddenly there is a little less on defense without bradley but alot more offense with hayward. That ability to shoot the three is key. Isnt hayward and klay thompson comparable players?

I disagree. Let me ask you, out of sully, oly, green, hayward  who do you consider starting material?
got to go with Moranis on this one.  that line-up at its optimistic best is a lower-level playoff seed. 
Miami, Nets (for a couple of years), Pacers, Knicks are all better.
Cavs, Detroit and Atlanta and possibly Washington would all be better if they're players played at their optimistic best levels. 

Not seeing how this lineup gets higher than a 6 seed even if everything came together perfectly

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 03:44:02 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Marvin Williams and Gordon Hayward FOR Bass and Lee and a first from LA or the first Nets pick we have.

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/check_trade

We get out of Bass and his years and Williams gets a look-see and is an EXPIRING!! 

Thoughts??

I think this is fair.

Smitty77

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 03:45:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Imagine lineup of

got to go with Moranis on this one.  that line-up at its optimistic best is a lower-level playoff seed. 
Cavs, Detroit and Atlanta and possibly Washington would all be better if they're players played at their optimistic best levels. 

Not seeing how this lineup gets higher than a 6 seed even if everything came together perfectly

The thing i dont like about some ppls thinking is how you have to have a top 3 pick or super athletic players to have a chance to be a good team.

You dont always have to have these things to be a top team in the nba

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 03:53:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Imagine lineup of

The thing i dont like about some ppls thinking is how you have to have a top 3 pick or super athletic players to have a chance to be a good team.

You don't, but you have to have all time great players to win and really compete for titles and none of those players are all time great players and never will be.  Rondo is a top 5 PG right now, but he isn't an all time great and he isn't a scorer.

Generally in the NBA you need the following 3 things to win a title:

1. Good all around big man
2. Go to scorer/slasher on the wing
3. Excellent shooters

The current Boston lineup (even adding Hayward) has none of those things.  Sullinger could possibly someday become the good all around big, but that isn't likely and won't be soon.  Green will never be a Pierce level scorer/slasher and certainly won't ever get to the Jordan/Lebron/Kobe level.  Hell he will be lucky to ever get to Ginobli's level.  Rondo just isn't that type of player.  He can really elevate a team that has those components (even if they aren't all timers), but he isn't the type of guy you can build a title team around, because title teams are never built around a player with his skill set.  They just don't work.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 03:55:15 PM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
Reasons to trade for hayward

1) stevens connection. Was considered one of stevens fav players at butler

2) though more of a sf/sg, not a liability defensively as a sg. The kind of lights out shooter celts been looking for since allen left

3) high iq, motor, team player

I think though it might take extra for jazz to give him up. Something like ab and future 1st could work. He was demoted last year for a little bit and maybe the jazz are losing some confidence in him.

Rondo could really benefit having a guy like gh by his side and it would open up the floor for everyone else in the lineup.

Thoughts

only way Utah deals him is if they're "tanking" for Wiggins/Parker.  If they feel like dealing Hayward gives them a better opportunity to stink this year AND can collect an asset or 2 for the future then they might be open to it.  Hayward is a restricted Free Agent at the end of the year and projects to be a 4-40 type of guy.  Utah might prefer a better shot at Wiggins/Parker/Randle/Smart, NOT having to pay Hayward PLUS a draft pick or 2 instead.

So if Ainge could do a Bass/Brooks/2015 first for Hayward then that would be great.   

Rondo/Hayward/Green/Sully/KO
Bradley/Lee/Wallace/Hump/Faverani
Bogans/Pressey/Greene

that's a team!  that's 6th seed with a promising future and cap space to work with. 

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 03:58:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Don't see what we have that they'd want to have, unless they're enamored with Bradley or something.

Our first round draft pick?

There is no way I'd trade our first round pick for Gordon Hayward.  Not unless it's around draft time and we have a pick in the 10-15 range.  Even then, I'd be reluctant.

He's a nice young player, but he's not that nice.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 04:26:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Reasons to trade for hayward

1) stevens connection. Was considered one of stevens fav players at butler

2) though more of a sf/sg, not a liability defensively as a sg. The kind of lights out shooter celts been looking for since allen left

3) high iq, motor, team player

I think though it might take extra for jazz to give him up. Something like ab and future 1st could work. He was demoted last year for a little bit and maybe the jazz are losing some confidence in him.

Rondo could really benefit having a guy like gh by his side and it would open up the floor for everyone else in the lineup.

Thoughts

only way Utah deals him is if they're "tanking" for Wiggins/Parker.  If they feel like dealing Hayward gives them a better opportunity to stink this year AND can collect an asset or 2 for the future then they might be open to it.  Hayward is a restricted Free Agent at the end of the year and projects to be a 4-40 type of guy.  Utah might prefer a better shot at Wiggins/Parker/Randle/Smart, NOT having to pay Hayward PLUS a draft pick or 2 instead.

So if Ainge could do a Bass/Brooks/2015 first for Hayward then that would be great.   

Rondo/Hayward/Green/Sully/KO
Bradley/Lee/Wallace/Hump/Faverani
Bogans/Pressey/Greene

that's a team!  that's 6th seed with a promising future and cap space to work with.
that team is none of what you say it is.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 04:32:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Marvin Williams and Gordon Hayward FOR Bass and Lee and a first from LA or the first Nets pick we have.

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/check_trade

We get out of Bass and his years and Williams gets a look-see and is an EXPIRING!! 

Thoughts??

I think this is fair.

Smitty77
My thoughts are the Jazz would laugh at us. 

Jazz are tanking, they have no use for Lee and Bass.  And they would be giving up the best player in the deal, and they most valuable contract.  And all they get back is a likely late first rounder. 

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 04:49:30 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I like the idea of including Brooks OR Crawford INSTEAD of a #1 pick.

So, Bass, Lee, and either of the above for an expiring Williams and Hayward!!!!!

Do it Danny.

Smitty77

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 05:04:53 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Imagine lineup of

You don't, but you have to have all time great players to win and really compete for titles and none of those players are all time great players and never will be.  Rondo is a top 5 PG right now, but he isn't an all time great and he isn't a scorer.

Generally in the NBA you need the following 3 things to win a title:

1. Good all around big man
2. Go to scorer/slasher on the wing
3. Excellent shooters

The current Boston lineup (even adding Hayward) has none of those things.  Sullinger could possibly someday become the good all around big, but that isn't likely and won't be soon.  Green will never be a Pierce level scorer/slasher and certainly won't ever get to the Jordan/Lebron/Kobe level.  Hell he will be lucky to ever get to Ginobli's level.  Rondo just isn't that type of player.  He can really elevate a team that has those components (even if they aren't all timers), but he isn't the type of guy you can build a title team around, because title teams are never built around a player with his skill set.  They just don't work.

Whether or not Rondo is an all time great player is highly debatable.  I say that he is, as does the article recently posted by Chambers about needing multiple superstars to win a title. 

He's not at the very top level of all time greats, but at the (still young) age of 27, he has a very good likelihood of continuing to move up the rankings. 

We need to continue to add talent around him to be a legitimate contender within the next couple of years.  I think that Gordon Hayward could be a great guy to take a gamble on.

From what I've seen, I think he might have the potential to turn into a star player in the league. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 05:14:05 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Don't see what we have that they'd want to have, unless they're enamored with Bradley or something.

Our first round draft pick?

There is no way I'd trade our first round pick for Gordon Hayward.  Not unless it's around draft time and we have a pick in the 10-15 range.  Even then, I'd be reluctant.

He's a nice young player, but he's not that nice.

I know it sounds crazy, but It's actually the kind of move I'd love to see Danny make.  Let's sell off that Golden Ticket to the highest bidder for a young player with the potential to be a top talent in the league. 

People will be falling all over themselves if they know the Celtics lottery pick is up for sale.  Who knows what we could get back.  Maybe we could even package off Gerald Wallace in the process.  We'd clear cap space, add some promising young talent, and (while we wouldn't have the Golden Ticket) we'd still have a number of first round draft picks coming up in the next few years. 

Yeah, using that lottery pick in some kind of trade could be a really good way to accelerate the rebuild.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 05:27:19 PM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
I really like addition of Hayward as a 6th man who would a great fit playing SF & SG. He, Bradley & Green would get all the minutes at those 2 spots, and you could go small with Green at PF.
I have fiddled with trade machine looking for a match, but it is not readily apparent. I also think Utah would really like to keep Hayward cause he is white.
I don't think Utah does it without one of our good young players and a pick.

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 06:28:49 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
What did Gordon Hayward ever really do.....he is very average...no post game.....not a great shooter, and weak defense....