Author Topic: Is Rondo the best defensive PG?  (Read 11939 times)

Is Rondo the best defensive PG?
« on: August 20, 2013, 11:22:06 AM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Here's an interesting article for Bleacherreport. It breaks down its metrics and such. A lot of people said Rondo took plays off on the defensive end, but what if it was just him playing smart defense? The list is definitely interesting.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1734626-ranking-the-best-defensive-point-guards-in-the-nba

Re: Is Rondo the best defensive PG?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 11:42:49 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Here's an interesting article for Bleacherreport. It breaks down its metrics and such. A lot of people said Rondo took plays off on the defensive end, but what if it was just him playing smart defense? The list is definitely interesting.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1734626-ranking-the-best-defensive-point-guards-in-the-nba

I've always thought that he is.  And, opposing NBA coaches seem to be in agreement.  That's why they keep naming him to the all defensive team.

On the other hand, many Celtics fans who watch every game love to point to instances where he gets beaten off the dribble and claim that he is a lazy defender.  Unfortunately, this kind of analysis is generally meaningless as it ignores context such as how often do other point guards get beaten off the dribble by comparison. 

I think the truth is that most other point guards get beaten more than Rondo, make less plays than Rondo, and are generally less disruptive than Rondo.  This is why he's considered the best defensive PG in the league and has been for a while now. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 11:45:02 AM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Absolutely. I'll be the first to criticize Rondo's defense because he's been gambling on defense a lot more in recent years, but the fact that he can still maintain such stellar defensive stats goes to show how elite of a defender he is.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Interesting.

The ranking doesn't look crazy, though you can quibble with a few things (not sure how they rank Lin 10th above Bledsoe for example).

Aside: is it just me or is Bleacher Report getting better? I'd say that over the last six months or so I've read a handful of decent articles there...where before it was pretty much 100% dreck.

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 11:49:04 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
So this means on paper, we have the best defensive front court. Rondo and AB play great together and I know Danny Ainge knows this. Lets tank this year, get our boy wiggins. Put jeff green back at the 4 like his OKC days, and get that run N gun offense going that Rondo is so great at.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 11:49:08 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
It's not meaningless at all. Another PG getting beat has nothing to do with him taking plays off. If you intentionally don't give your best effort much of the time, you have no business being mentioned as the best defensive PG. Do you think KG takes defensive plays off? Bradley takes plays off?

Rondo is a very good defensive PG, but he would be elite if he gave the effort. Considering he also does that on both sides of the ball for entire games during the regular season, you have to question his character a bit. There is a reason that he is at the top of the second tier of PG's in the league and not the best. If he gave it his all, he'd very likely be the best on both sides of the floor.

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 12:00:31 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
It's not meaningless at all. Another PG getting beat has nothing to do with him taking plays off. If you intentionally don't give your best effort much of the time, you have no business being mentioned as the best defensive PG. Do you think KG takes defensive plays off? Bradley takes plays off?

Rondo is a very good defensive PG, but he would be elite if he gave the effort. Considering he also does that on both sides of the ball for entire games during the regular season, you have to question his character a bit. There is a reason that he is at the top of the second tier of PG's in the league and not the best. If he gave it his all, he'd very likely be the best on both sides of the floor.

You're doing it.  What you seem to be saying is that when other point guards get beat, it's because they just got beat, not because they weren't trying hard, but when Rondo gets beat, it's always because he wasn't trying hard enough?

Still he gets beaten less than other point guards.  You must really have an inflated opinion of his defensive ability if you think he can be the best point guard defender in the league while also being the laziest, only giving occasional effort.

I agree that he's the best, but I actually think he works hard to be that. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 12:20:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Not really impressed with the metric, FWIW.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 02:19:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
probably not even the best defensive PG on the Celtics.  That's Bradley... a one dimensional point guard who can only play defense.  But he does it well.

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 02:32:03 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
probably not even the best defensive PG on the Celtics.  That's Bradley... a one dimensional point guard who can only play defense.  But he does it well.

I don't mind having two of the very best defensive guards in the league. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 02:40:45 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think Paul is better, but they are close enough together you could reasonably argue either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
Gambles TOO MUCH.

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 03:06:34 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Gambles TOO MUCH.

Can you back up that opinion with any statistics?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 03:38:36 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Gambles TOO MUCH.

Can you back up that opinion with any statistics?

The fact that it's written in all caps isn't proof enough for you?

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 03:42:44 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Rondo is one of the better defensive point guards without a doubt.  I think he has had the problem on no real backup in his celtic career and therefore doesn't play all out like bradley does.  I like AB doing what he does but I do wonder if he toned the defense down just slightly would his jumper improve?
One thing rondo does great (as did pierce) he funnels his man into the defense where he should.  He isn't really getting beat but putting his man into a double team or tight zone.  Paul wasn't a great man on defender but very good team defender.