Author Topic: future trade idea: Rondo for Westbrook  (Read 7955 times)

Re: future trade idea: Rondo for Westbrook
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 12:01:04 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I thought we all got enough of the Westbrook-less Thunder this year in the playoffs--you might not like his game, but Russell Westbrook is/was a force.

Rondo and Durant would be interesting for a couple of games, until the Thunder's opponents realized that Rondo's impact is highly mitigated when he's playing off the ball.

Rondo would still be playing his normal role on offense, I doubt he'd be playing off the ball much.

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 04:20:14 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
No thanks..

Westbrook is a chucker who only scores at a half decent efficiency because he has so many other scorers around him to draw attention off him.

If he was the first scoring option on a team like Boston he'd be a Monta Ellis style 39% FG guy.  Can't stand Westbrook and his self-centered attitude and don't want him anywhere near this team.

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 05:18:38 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
westbrook is younger and a better fit with durant. durant gets open looks because of westbrook shooting ability, floor spacing, and his atheltic ability to get to the rim also compliments durant's long range.With rondo on that okc team, durant would be triple-teamed all day. it makes ZERO sense to have rondo on that team. if they wanted the ball to durant more, they force westbrook to play that. they dont have to do a major trade to change their playstyle, its a ridiculous idea.

Durant scores because he's kevin durant. i think Rondo would be a better fit for OKC because he would defer more to KD rather than try to match him in scoring output. Not only that but i would assume the rest of the cast would improve under Rondo.

it's not uncommon to see Russ taking more shots than Durant in a game, and for me, that's troublesome. To put it into context, Wade and Bosh both play with Lebron and both of them can put up big numbers if need be, but both know that the team's success hinges on Lebron's greatness and that's why they defer to him. Not every game, mind you, but for the most part they do. Durant is almost up there with Lebron, but Russ doesn't seem to understand that.

you can't really fault Russ though because he produces and it's his playstyle to be aggressive and reckless, sometimes to the detriment of his team. So it's not just a matter of "if they wanted the ball to durant more, they force westbrook to play that". that's like saying if they wanted the ball to Dwight more, they force Kobe to play that. it's just not happening because it's out of character.

OKC wins because they just have so much talent and they defend. I just think they're more optimized with Rondo.

I don't know how much more optimized they can get replacing Westbrook with Rondo.  They've finished 1st and 2nd on offense the past two seasons.  They've been a dominant team with massive point differentials.  I don't think swapping out a superior player and the only other player on their roster besides Durant who can create his shot at will is going to make them better.

I can see where you're coming from.  As ridiculous as it seems, based on the stats, Durant is probably underutilized.  OKC could be even better if excising Westbrook freed up more shots for Durant.  But how many more shots is Durant really going to average?  He's been around 18-20 for his career and he's taken on more of a playmaker's mindset this past season.  I can't see him averaging like 23 shots a game and I don't think he would even want.  Durant certainly doesn't need Rondo.  He could benefit from more kickout passes but the lack of spacing through the middle because Rondo's man ignores him could negatively affect his game. 

OKC's roster right now has three shotmakers: Durant, Westbrook and Reggie Jackson.  Unless Durant ups his shot volume to Kobe/Jordan/Iverson levels, a lot of those shots with Westbrook gone would be distributed to role players.  I don't think that makes them better.

Two keys of OKC's success has been winning the transition and free throw games.  Their formula of their best players being ultra aggressive has worked spectacularly.  There's no way they mess with that so they can add a point guard who will get their role players more shots. 

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 10:41:55 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I thought we all got enough of the Westbrook-less Thunder this year in the playoffs--you might not like his game, but Russell Westbrook is/was a force.

Rondo and Durant would be interesting for a couple of games, until the Thunder's opponents realized that Rondo's impact is highly mitigated when he's playing off the ball.

Rondo would still be playing his normal role on offense, I doubt he'd be playing off the ball much.

Right, but at a massively simplified level, any team playing OKC has one defensive objective--keep the ball out of Kevin Durant's hands.

Part of the reason Westbrook took so many shots in the last two seasons was because KD wasn't open, or because Durant was hanging out on the wings and the other team was patiently waiting for Durant to get the ball--in other words, trying to goad Westbrook into having to beat them.

You can live with Westbrook trying to beat you--he's not in Durant's class as a shooter (almost no one else is)--and he's similar in attack to Derrick Rose with more reliance on that amazing/infuriating split second pull up jumper. If that's the only guy you have to be worried about, than you're probably doing all right.

He's like a release valve for extra pressure on KD. If you take him out of the equation and put in someone like Rondo, who is excellent in an entirely different way, I'm not sure that Durant's game benefits as much as it does when he's playing alongside Westbrook, because the main goal is still going to be keeping the ball out of Durant's hands and Rondo isn't quite as scary as a one-on-one/make a basket after the play breaks down player as Westbrook is.

And, let's not forget, that Westbrook has been on pace to finish with points, assists, and rebounding numbers that we haven't seen since Oscar Robertson. And he's only 24. Its not like he's some scrub that's keeping Durant from getting all the points ever. They're a great yin and yang.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 11:19:20 AM »

Offline celticdog

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 28
Dont want Westbrook anywhere near the Celtics.  Dude wants to be the center of attention and could never be a leader.  He's done once his athleticism fails.  No IQ. 

Celtics post game would make my eyes bleed from his clownsuits.

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 12:28:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If okc is dead set on not giving up westbrook but still wants rondo.

Rondo is unable to help the celtics, what about a trade idea involving a westbrook light in reggie jackson and jeremy lamb?

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 01:25:18 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
If okc is dead set on not giving up westbrook but still wants rondo.

Rondo is unable to help the celtics, what about a trade idea involving a westbrook light in reggie jackson and jeremy lamb?
I doubt OKC are going to trade two young prospects, both of whom will likely be responsible for their bench scoring with the loss of Martin, for an injured Rondo. And if the trade did go through, they'd either put Rondo on the bench, or they'd move Westbrook to the 2 and relegate Sefolosha to the bench. Either way, they wouldn't have a reliable 6th man scoring option.

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 07:04:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Boston would have to sweeten this trade significantly for OKC to even consider it.  And for the record, OKC needs a scorer next to Durant.  If they had kept Harden then the trade would have made a lot more sense for OKC, without Harden it makes no sense without a lot of extra value going to them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 10:06:49 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

Right, but at a massively simplified level, any team playing OKC has one defensive objective--keep the ball out of Kevin Durant's hands.

Part of the reason Westbrook took so many shots in the last two seasons was because KD wasn't open, or because Durant was hanging out on the wings and the other team was patiently waiting for Durant to get the ball--in other words, trying to goad Westbrook into having to beat them.

You can live with Westbrook trying to beat you--he's not in Durant's class as a shooter (almost no one else is)--and he's similar in attack to Derrick Rose with more reliance on that amazing/infuriating split second pull up jumper. If that's the only guy you have to be worried about, than you're probably doing all right.

He's like a release valve for extra pressure on KD. If you take him out of the equation and put in someone like Rondo, who is excellent in an entirely different way, I'm not sure that Durant's game benefits as much as it does when he's playing alongside Westbrook, because the main goal is still going to be keeping the ball out of Durant's hands and Rondo isn't quite as scary as a one-on-one/make a basket after the play breaks down player as Westbrook is.

And, let's not forget, that Westbrook has been on pace to finish with points, assists, and rebounding numbers that we haven't seen since Oscar Robertson. And he's only 24. Its not like he's some scrub that's keeping Durant from getting all the points ever. They're a great yin and yang.

This trade would obviously not just be Rondo for Westbrook straight up, it'd have to be in conjunction with other moves to make OKC's roster balanced enough. If you're just swapping out Rondo for Westbrook then of course it won't match up perfectly, because OKC's roster is designed to work with Westbrook as their PG.

If they made a trade for Rondo I assume they'd also be making a move for a guy like Kevin Martin who just left them or another sharpshooter who can keep the pressure off of Durant.

That way Rondo can quarterback the offense, Durant plays the superstar role and when they swarm KD trying to make the rest of the team beat them (like they do now with Westbrook), Rondo will be able to take advantage of the holes that creates in their defense with his passing skills or swing it around to their sharpshooter to knock down a jumper on the other side.

Having Rondo and another shooter should mitigate the loss of Westbrook in regards to Durant's game because teams won't be able to key in on him so heavily because they risk getting exploited by Rondo's passing. If they are doubling or cheating towards Durant, that means someone else is going to be open and if there is anyone in the NBA who you can count on to continuously find that open guy it's Rondo.

Ignoring the rest of the roster, as a duo, I like Rondo and KD better than Westbrook and KD because they compliment each other so well. As much of an offensive powerhouse as OKC is right now, Durant can carry the scoring burden for any team, so pairing him with a guy like Rondo who does so many things well besides scoring and who can make the supporting cast significantly better, I think you have a better chance of having a championship roster.

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 11:35:03 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If our goal is to pair Rondo up with Kevin Durant, I think we should just trade Jeff Green and Brandon Bass to OKC for KD. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 03:49:46 PM »

Offline Enzzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Knowing Westbrooks attitude, I'm sure he wouldn't be "excited" about a rebuilding team.

Although, he would fit in. Thick rimmed "lense-less" glasses are pretty popular in the City. And his shirts usually match the spectrum of the tree colors during fall.